Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Jaguars expected to sign Nick Foles

RockThatBlue

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sucky qb’s don’t win SB.

They wil be ten times better with him. He has lots of years left in his prime.

I put Foles and Flaaco in the same category . They  had a good but  short run and they have never duplicated that success. We will have to wait till next season to see who is right.  Let's revisit this topic half way into next season.

• Like 1

I think the Jags also hired ax ex-Philly offensive person, either OC or QBs coach, so I assume this move signals they will shift the O more towards what Philly ran, and to what Foles does best. 

Probably no good reason to draft a WR at #7 or revolve the offense around Fournette.  That's what you do when you have Bortles.

53 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

15 times zero is still zero.  Foles is fool's gold.  If he is so good why is there only 1 team bidding for his services? Agree to disagree. 

Because the teams don’t want to pay the big contract AND give up a Day 2 pick.

They know the Eagles would have to let him go and all it will cost is $$$$.   But they save on the Day 2 pick.

6 minutes ago, Shepman said:

I don't see how they accomplish this given they are $2.5 million in the hole right now.

They'll cut Bortles which will leave dead money on the books, but less then his cap hit and their shopping Malik Jackson and Carlos hyde

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

RIP Nick Foles career

His career has already been crap, outside of a few months...  not sure why everyone thinks he is consistently solid....  definitely has yet to prove it.  That would be like thinking the Colts Defense was gonna be world beaters after the 2006 playoff run ....

Foles has yet to prove he can be consistently good, This isn't a young guy with loads of potential.. he just turned 30, so is in his prime....  yet his career best year by a long shot was in 2013...  H wasn't very good at all his last season as a starter....  

Sure, he's their best bet as far as moving away from the train wreck that Bortles  was, but they are going to either have to cut some guys, mortgage their future (restructures) or some combination of both...   this will be their only significant FA addition, so any other improvements will have to come from immediate impact draftees....

I'd do it if I were them, for sure...  they're already hitched to this wagon, might as well ride it out...  They have a window of 2 years, maybe 3....  go for it.

Bortles always played god-like against the Colts anyways Foles just makes them better against the other teams on their schedule. Good draft position for them to grab another stud too. They'll rebound if the locker room isnt completely cancerous at this point.

Thoughts:

How much will they need to pay him and how does that impact their ability to keep that defense together?  I believe they  already had cap issues.

If he does goes to Jax, remember.... iron sharpens Iron.

i much prefer a tough, challenging division over what we faced in the Manning years.  But then again, NE seems to make it work in a weak division.  Oh, scratch that anomaly, they play by their own "rules."  

We don't need no stinkin' badges! 

He will make them better for sure, but he is a backup for a reason. The Jags will have to rework their offense to fit his abilities and that will take some time. Coaching can accelerate the process. The GM there is a run it kind of guy so it may be harder for them to get the right players for Foles. 

4 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

15 times zero is still zero.  Foles is fool's gold.  If he is so good why is there only 1 team bidding for his services? Agree to disagree. 

who says there is only one team interested in him? i didnt think he would be a good fit there until they brought in his OC from philly

Contract will probably be around 3 years/$60 Million.  He's only been the main starter for two seasons of his career, given he has only had double digit starts in a season twice: 11 with the Rams in 2015 and 10 starts for the Eagles in 2013.  He had a 27 TD and 2 INTs in 2013 but had 7 TD and 10 INT in 2015.  His whole career he does well and then falls off again.  It will be interesting to see how he fairs as a full-time starter again.  

3 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

Contract will probably be around 3 years/$60 Million.  He's only been the main starter for two seasons of his career, given he has only had double digit starts in a season twice: 11 with the Rams in 2015 and 10 starts for the Eagles in 2013.  He had a 27 TD and 2 INTs in 2013 but had 7 TD and 10 INT in 2015.  His whole career he does well and then falls off again.  It will be interesting to see how he fairs as a full-time starter again.  

Jags have 2 million dollars to spend so lets see how they get away with paying a QB 20 mill a year. Mathematically not possible. Also Foles has been terrible outside of playing in Philly so there is no guarantee he will be good in Jacks. He is better than Bortles though haha 

He can thank Frank Reich for reviewing film with him and figuring out a game plan to suit him best for the superbowl run... and he'll be able to thank Frank Reich going forward for never seeing the postseason again... Lateral move in my opinion from Blake Bortles. Jags are in cap trouble and don't know how to draft a franchise qb.

Foles is a much better QB today than the last time he was handed the full time #1 duties. Good move by the Jags; sorry to see it, honestly, because they will be a better team with Foles at the helm. But it makes sense: they have a strong D with decent offensive personnel that they can seriously upgrade  with this draft. I agree with those that believe they were a good QB away from being a serious contender. Now we'll find out. 

8 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

If Jags want Foles, making room on payroll and inside cap is not an issue. You'll see how they do it if Coughlin really wants him.

That is interesting, so any team that is Salary Cap strapped like Jacks is could sign Bell for example? With a little maneuvering of their current players? Very cool. Hypothetically, Jacks can sign Bell then if they really wanted too and just keep Bortles. Foles is going to want 20 Mill a year.

7 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

His career has already been crap, outside of a few months...  not sure why everyone thinks he is consistently solid....  definitely has yet to prove it.  That would be like thinking the Colts Defense was gonna be world beaters after the 2006 playoff run ....

“Career been crap”?

“Definitely yet to prove it”?

Holy cow!    Insanity at its finest.

This is one of the biggest steaming piles I’ve seen posted around here in a while.

Personally,  I’d be embarrassed to have written this.

Yes it is true he might stink in Jax. But most likely that will be because of the people around him. Phili is a great organization. I heard they still have him the bonus after losing to the saints. They didn’t have to do it. But to say a guy who has won a SB is crap is ridiculous.  Bad organizations can make a great player suck.

9 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

That would be like thinking the Colts Defense was gonna be world beaters after the 2006 playoff run

FWIW, the 2007 Colts defense was #1 in Points Allowed, #3 in Yards Allowed and #2 in Passing Yards Allowed.

They had the 2nd most INTs and combined turnovers, and the only team that had more was the team they lost to in the playoffs.

They also sent both safeties to the Pro Bowl, and Bob Sanders was All-Pro and Defensive Player of the Year.

:hat:

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

FWIW, the 2007 Colts defense was #1 in Points Allowed, #3 in Yards Allowed and #2 in Passing Yards Allowed.

They had the 2nd most INTs and combined turnovers, and the only team that had more was the team they lost to in the playoffs.

They also sent both safeties to the Pro Bowl, and Bob Sanders was All-Pro and Defensive Player of the Year.

:hat:

tenor.gif

Good stuff there!

• Thanks 1