Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

One stance I refuse to back down from this offseason.

Legend of Luck

My number one stance this offseason, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is that we should ABSOLUTELY NOT spend high draft capital on a safety.

I keep seeing all these mocks with us taking a safety within our first 3 picks and I just shake my head. Allow me to explain.

Our current safety group is pretty good with Hooker and the widely assumed returns of Geathers and Farley. If neither of them return, that's ok too, because of how the safety market is likely to unfold.

Like last year, there are A LOT of valuable safeties on the market, including Landon Collins, who fits the the Ballard mold like a glove. And if you recall last year, the safeties all got relatively smaller contracts and went unsigned till late in the offseason, and even into the regular season.

If we need safety help, there are guys available in free agency that are quality players and wont demand a large contract due to the market value of the position. We can use our more prominent draft capital on more coveted positions.

It just flat out makes no sense to spend an early draft pick on that position when there is more than enough value to be had in free agency.

End rant.

List of prominent Safeties available in FA.

Adrian Amos 
Tre Boston 
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 
Landon Collins 
George Iloka 
Lamarcus Joyner 
Tyrann Mathieu 
Mike Mitchell 
Adrian Phillips 
Curtis Riley 
Earl Thomas 
Kenny Vaccaro 
Jimmie Ward

• Like 3

While I agree mostly with what you said. I would prefer FA safety over draft safety as well. Even if Geathers resigns I want the Honeybadger. He can cover slot, TE and rb out of the backfield. He can play over top and this will allow Hooker to play underneath occasionally. I think we used half of his talents last year in defending the deep ball, but he's also a ball hawk. Both him and Honeybadger are sure tacklers. I would like to stick with drafting OL, DL, WR and corner. Sweat or Metcalf I would be happy with.

I would rather have collins but if we don't sign a good S then I'm ok with taking one early. we have to upgrade the spot next to Hooker it's really that simple. Geathers cant cover an 80 year old woman I'm beginning to wonder if he can even catch a ball his ball skills are trash.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

My number one stance this offseason, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is that we should ABSOLUTELY NOT spend high draft capital on a safety.

I keep seeing all these mocks with us taking a safety within our first 3 picks and I just shake my head. Allow me to explain.

Our current safety group is pretty good with Hooker and the widely assumed returns of Geathers and Farley. If neither of them return, that's ok too, because of how the safety market is likely to unfold.

Like last year, there are A LOT of valuable safeties on the market, including Landon Collins, who fits the the Ballard mold like a glove. And if you recall last year, the safeties all got relatively smaller contracts and went unsigned till late in the offseason, and even into the regular season.

If we need safety help, there are guys available in free agency that are quality players and wont demand a large contract due to the market value of the position. We can use our more prominent draft capital on more coveted positions.

It just flat out makes no sense to spend an early draft pick on that position when there is more than enough value to be had in free agency.

End rant.

Adrian Amos 
Tre Boston 
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 
Landon Collins 
George Iloka 
Lamarcus Joyner 
Tyrann Mathieu 
Mike Mitchell 
Adrian Phillips 
Curtis Riley 
Earl Thomas 
Kenny Vaccaro 
Jimmie Ward

I don't disagree with you. Safeties has become a devalued position now in the NFL. And possibly even more so in our defensive scheme the Tampa 2 where everything is kept in front of DB's.

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

I don't think you're going to have to worry about spending a high pick on a safety. Pretty sure Ballard will go defensive lineman based on comments he's made this off-season in interviews.

The way the post combine mocks are going, DTs and Edges are going very early. Did a few simulators early today and it was slim pickings when it came for the Colts to select. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

End rant.

Adrian Amos 
Tre Boston 
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 
Landon Collins 
George Iloka 
Lamarcus Joyner 
Tyrann Mathieu 
Mike Mitchell 
Adrian Phillips 
Curtis Riley 
Earl Thomas 
Kenny Vaccaro 
Jimmie Ward

What does refusing to back down from your stance actually mean? Could you even be tempted by a few little tidbits? And if your lord and master orders you to stand down, will you comply or break ranks? I am almost as excited about where this goes as I am about season 8 of Game of  Thrones.....

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

What does refusing to back down from your stance actually mean? Could you even be tempted by a few little tidbits? And if your lord and master orders you to stand down, will you comply or break ranks? I am almost as excited about where this goes as I am about season 8 of Game of  Thrones.....

Haha... what I'm saying is that this is not something I will change my mind on. I don't care how well the safeties test this afternoon, I don't care if there are 47 mock drafts that have us taking a safety, I don't care if we don't sign a top end FA and just keep Geathers and Farley. The FA market is the perfect place to go for safety help this year, let's use that precious draft capital on things that are more scarce in FA, like WR and DL.

20 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

End rant.

I think safety is being underrated. Esp in Cover 2 defense

When Farley and Geathers went down, the Colts D looked like complete trash. I most definitely hope Farley gets re-signed. He is solid. Geathers is good, but his injuries are concerning. 

I'd definitely be trying to get Landon Collins over here (who Griggles should've picked instead of Dorsett anyways) but think about how good the 06-07 defense was when Bethea and Sanders were both there. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

End rant.

Adrian Amos 
Tre Boston 
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 
Landon Collins 
George Iloka 
Lamarcus Joyner 
Tyrann Mathieu 
Mike Mitchell 
Adrian Phillips 
Curtis Riley 
Earl Thomas 
Kenny Vaccaro 
Jimmie Ward

Chris Ballards stance matters he is the professional & has done a great job what makes you think he can't build upon last years success ? And if you were right and players do fit like a glove in your opinion & are ignored by Ballard than that just means your vision for the team is wrong based on Ballards track record his works.

People take themselves way to serious we need impact players on the Colts whenever & where ever we can find them . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Chris Ballards stance matters he is the professional & has done a great job what makes you think he can't build upon last years success ? And if you were right and players do fit like a glove in your opinion & are ignored by Ballard than that just means your vision for the team is wrong based on Ballards track record his works.

People take themselves way to serious we need impact players on the Colts whenever & where ever we can find them . 

Not sure why you're turning this into some anti Ballard thing. I'm the biggest Ballard Truther around.

Obviously, if he went that route, I'd trust him that itd work out. I'd be skeptical, but hes earned the right for us to just put our faith in him.

My post has zero to do with him. This was about my opinion on what's best for the team.

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

I think safety is being underrated. Esp in Cover 2 defense

When Farley and Geathers went down, the Colts D looked like complete trash. I most definitely hope Farley gets re-signed. He is solid. Geathers is good, but his injuries are concerning. 

I'd definitely be trying to get Landon Collins over here (who Griggles should've picked instead of Dorsett anyways) but think about how good the 06-07 defense was when Bethea and Sanders were both there. 

100% agree on Collins.

I dont think safety is underrated, on our team or in our system. I just personally think Geathers and Farley are more than capable starting, and that if we were to lose either of them, there are plenty of valuable replacements available in FA. 

That being said, upgrading that position with an elite guy like Collins would absolutely be the best scenario. 

On 3/3/2019 at 11:40 AM, Legend of Luck said:

End rant.

Adrian Amos 
Tre Boston 
Ha Ha Clinton-Dix 
Landon Collins 
George Iloka 
Lamarcus Joyner 
Tyrann Mathieu 
Mike Mitchell 
Adrian Phillips 
Curtis Riley 
Earl Thomas 
Kenny Vaccaro 
Jimmie Ward

Strongly disagree.

4 most important positions for this D are

Edge rush

Will Lb

3Tech

SS

As in 

Freeney

Cato

Booger/Simon

Bob Sanders

On top of that we are running a lot of big Nickel with 3 safeties on the field and only 2 lbrs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Strongly disagree.

4 most important positions for this D are

Edge rush

Will Lb

3Tech

SS

id say its edge rusher, will, mike and FS.  the scheme asks a lot of the mike, its hard finding guys that can do it all

the rest of the dline is important, but its hard for them to impact the game against qbs like brady that dont hang onto the ball, or guys like mahomes that can outrun them 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

id say its edge rusher, will, mike and FS.  the scheme asks a lot of the mike, its hard finding guys that can do it all

the rest of the dline is important, but its hard for them to impact the game against qbs like brady that dont hang onto the ball, or guys like mahomes that can outrun them 

I believe we are set at mike and will as well as one safety in Hooker.  The Geathers injury situation makes me believe we need to upgrade that position.  

Drafting for need on D IMO would be 

Edge

SS

FS

3Tech

in that order.  But I would like them to take the top rated player at any of those positions at 26

5 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

I believe we are set at mike and will as well as one safety in Hooker.  The Geathers injury situation makes me believe we need to upgrade that position.  

Drafting for need on D IMO would be 

Edge

SS

FS

3Tech

in that order.  But I would like them to take the top rated player at any of those positions at 26

Totally understandable. Not saying you're wrong, I just have different value on positions in our system. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Geathers isn't a star player but he gets the job done.  There are so many other positions of need IMO I don't see why we would invest heavily in a safety in the draft. 

Geathers is decent if we move him full time to linebacker hes nit that great a SS like everyone thinks easily need to upgrade him and Walker so we can stop getting destroyed across the middle. Prolly the 2 biggest needs on D after edge rusher 

Ballard is not backing down from his stance ether, he has said all along, as far as FA's go he has his on system of what their considered worth at their position is to this organization. He might love a certain FA and what it would mean to his roster. but if they don't jive with his numbers he is not going to pull the trigger on them.  It's as simple as that.  

Every single position group besides QB needs upgraded. Take BPA for the first 4-5rds and it works out how it works out.  I stud SS would be great in this defense.  If we can get one in FA that would be awesome...if we get one in the draft even better. I can say that about almost every position on the team. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Not sure why you're turning this into some anti Ballard thing. I'm the biggest Ballard Truther around.

Obviously, if he went that route, I'd trust him that itd work out. I'd be skeptical, but hes earned the right for us to just put our faith in him.

My post has zero to do with him. This was about my opinion on what's best for the team.

Not turning this into anything other than my opinion of your opinion because thats all we have is our opinions when they become a rant it signals to me that maybe its a very strong opinion & I get that I have them as well . 

And IMHO your post has everything to do with Chris Ballard he is the man with the vision whos team last year proved its on the way back to former glory following a well laid out plan . Have Faith ..

We fans must give the Team the benefit of a doubt the Scouts & Ballard have not done it the fans way they did it there way & I for one am proud of the Colts progress &  happy with the direction of the team . I get that Giddy feeling once again & more than ever , I believe in the Blue as I realize you do as well we all want whats best for the team so enjoy this off season watching new weapons being added .

In Ballard Reich Mudd & Eberflus I trust   :colts::hat:

On 3/4/2019 at 8:44 AM, aaron11 said:

i would be ok with a safety in the first.  we are picking 26th, we should be looking for the best player not the biggest need

Couldn’t agree more. I’d also add that there isn’t any position in the draft besides QB and maybe OL that we shouldn’t feel we don’t need to spend high draft capital on

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Couldn’t agree more. I’d also add that there isn’t any position in the draft besides QB and maybe OL that we shouldn’t feel we don’t need to spend high draft capital on

It's hard for people on this board to move on from players. Hell just the other day someone was using Grover Stewart as a reason we might not go DL. Look at everyone who thinks we shouldn't get a S because of a injury prone safety that cant cover.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 6:12 PM, Irish YJ said:

The way the post combine mocks are going, DTs and Edges are going very early. Did a few simulators early today and it was slim pickings when it came for the Colts to select. 

From what I've read, this draft is especially deep in D-lineman prospects:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/03/02/indianapolis-colts-chris-ballard-jachai-polite-brian-burns-clelin-ferrell-kemoko-turay-tyquan-lewis/3034059002/