Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If DK Metcalf is available at #20... trade for him???

If DK Metcalf is available at #20, (6picks before the Colts draft) should we then make a trade for him and at what cost? 

He had one of the best, IF not the best combine of any player, and we could need a guy like him.

It would be a sexy pick and I think he's gonna be the next big WR in the NFL, so why not go get him?

But my initial question, would you trade up in the draft for him? and How much would you give to get him?

He's big and athletic, with big play ability.  So was Kelvin Benjamin.  Metcalf is far from a polished route runner and is tight coming out of breaks (i.e. lack of separation at the NFL level).  Worth drafting?  Sure.  Worth trading picks to go get?  Doubtful.  

• Like 2

Nope. Was watching an episode of Dominique Wilkins on Larry Bird... “There are a lot of great athletes...but Bird was a great basketball player...” There is a difference...most recent John Ross. There will be a difference maker at 26, 34 and 59 without trading up

• Like 1

Personally I wouldn't.

I said in an earlier post way too many get wrapped up in combine numbers.

I will go with what Ballard has said. He is not looking for player that put up numbers, he is looking for football players who fit his mold. Team orientated and leaders.

I am not sure if Metcalf fits that mold especially trading up in the first round.

I am not against trading up in any round I just don't know about Metcalf.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

He's big and athletic, with big play ability.  So was Kelvin Benjamin.  Metcalf is far from a polished route runner and is tight coming out of breaks (i.e. lack of separation at the NFL level).  Worth drafting?  Sure.  Worth trading picks to go get?  Doubtful.  

I'm not in favor of trading up for metcalf, but he and Benjamin are not comparable athletically.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, BOTT said:

I'm not in favor of trading up for metcalf, but he and Benjamin are not comparable athletically.

Thank you!

My eyes popped out at that comparison.    Benjamin wasn’t very athletic at all.   Roughly 4.6-Plus.   His success was based on size, not athleticism.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

If DK Metcalf is available at #20, (6picks before the Colts draft) should we then make a trade for him and at what cost? 

Impressive physical traits, but no, I wouldn't trade for him. There are other really good options - like JJ Arcega-Whiteside and Deebo Samuel (very different kinds of receivers) - that would fit the Colts better.

23 hours ago, BluHorzhu said:

Comparing Benjamin and Metcalf physically is crazy. They’re nothing alike athletically. Route running and separation are not things difficult to acquire. 

As far as trading for him, no too risky. There are other WRs on the board such as Butler, Harmon, Harry, Whiteside, and Samuel you can grab in the 2nd round. Remember Ballard motto, “It’s never about one guy” 

Depends what DL or Edge were still available, and it would depend on what Luck wants. I'd prefer to go DL or Edge with first pick, maybe first and second, but definitely want a WR in the first three. But Luck does need another toy, and he needs a good one. I think we'll get more bang for our bucks in terms of point differential with a good WR. I just think you have to take a DL or Edge earlier due to the rush on them early, and the drop off after the top guys.

10 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

From what I read, if you are actually 1.9% fat...... you are in an immediate coffin  

That's definitely not true.  1.9% is possible, has been done before, and is without a doubt, pushing the limits of what is healthy, as essential levels of bodyfat for adult men are 2-5%.  if he is at 1.9, he's at the edge of what is considered essential for full funcionality.  It may have long term negative implications, or, he may be around 5% when actually playing.... at any rate, it does not equate to instant death, as you stated.

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitness/lifestyle/a26620086/dk-metcalf-nfl-combine/

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

That's definitely not true.  1.9% is possible, has been done before, and is without a doubt, pushing the limits of what is healthy, as essential levels of bodyfat for adult men are 2-5%.  if he is at 1.9, he's at the edge of what is considered essential for full funcionality.  It may have long term negative implications, or, he may be around 5% when actually playing.... at any rate, it does not equate to instant death, as you stated.

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/fitness/lifestyle/a26620086/dk-metcalf-nfl-combine/

So you are saying........ my 40% is too high  :0

11 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

I'm not giving up draft picks for anyone to move up.

This is ridiculous to a degree. There will most likely be a scenario where a solid player falls from the 10-12 range to the 15-20 range in the real draft. Depending on the position and the player, you have to at least consider it when the time comes. Do you really hate this draft that much that you think no player is worth trading up for? I can think of 5 players I'd do it for if I could secure them 100%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm on the record that I love Metcalf as a prospect and if he's there at 26 I wouldn't mind picking him, but I personally wouldn't use draft capital in order to move up to get him. I like this draft a lot and there is a good chance that there will be a player at 26 that I like as much or better than Metcalf, thus trading away assets wouldn't be my ideal strategy here. 

• 2 weeks later...

Watched some film for this guy, some analysis from numerous guys and I would not touch this guy in the first round. 

If he'd be available for our first 2nd round pick, I say, would be worth the risk but that's not gonna happen, likely is a top 20 pick. 

Inconsistent, suffers from drops, especially drops because of lack of focus. Also don't think he'd fit our offense. At this point, I'd say Inman is a better option than Metcalf. 

Its gonna be a hard pass for me. The hype that will surround him draft night is going to be unreal. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go top 5, heck maybe even to the 49ers. He doesnt meet my own personally criteria for a 1st rounder since he has such low production in college and if he played like a 4.3 player then he would have absolutely destroyed Henre Toliver (4.63). I'll take someone more accomplished that knows how to get open

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'll go Kevin White as a comp

I saw it written somewhere and it really struck home, but the best comparison I have seen for Metcalf yet is David Boston.

Both were big, cut, physical specimens.

Boston did have a couple of great years before he fell off the face of the Earth.

I have a few concerns already w Metcalf.

Poor change of direction and separation skills start it off. His three cone validates what the tape shows there.

Also he already has that swagger/attitude that some people love and others hate. I personally hate it. I like the guys that come in and just go to work and keep their mouth shut. But some other people like guys that have an edge. It's all a matter of preference I suppose.

Metcalf had two quotes that made me cringe a tiny bit:

Asked what his greatest asset is, he said it’s hauling contested passes.

“I call them 99-1 balls [instead of 50-50],” Metcalf said. “The one percent that I’m not coming down with is maybe a bad ball by the quarterback.”

So right there he is already hypothetically blaming a QB for a ball he doesn't come down with lol

Then they even asked about the David Boston comparison:

Metcalf, who said he’s given up his favorite strawberry milkshakes for life and doesn’t plan on changing his workout habits, was essentially asked by reporters whether he’ll be the next David Boston – the No. 8-overall pick in 1999 whose career flamed out after five seasons.

“They compare me to other big receivers who have been unsuccessful, but they haven’t seen D.K. Metcalf,” Metcalf said.

So this raises a bit of a flag in that he hasn't even hit the league yet and instead of saying something like "I'm willing to do whatever it takers to be a success. Modify my workouts as the training staff sees fit", etc. he already says he doesn't plan to change his workout habits. And he did not address anything about the comparison and only said nobody has seen him yet.

This is definitely me reading into things too deeply. I realize that. I don't know, something about him just rubs me the wrong way. So far he is a big, fast, strong WR that is a one trick pony from what I can tell.

You know who else was a physical specimen who was made of granite and then got so big and strong that he basically couldn't play ball anymore? LaRon Landry. I hope we learned something from that lol.

All that being said, I don't even want Metcalf at all. There are a bunch of other WRs I'd rather have both talent-wise and value-wise.

So I definitely would not want to trade up for him and give up additional resources to get him.

But that is just my humble opinion that is worth nothing in the grand scheme of things :-)

• Like 1

On 3/4/2019 at 5:35 PM, Shafty138 said:

The percentages you're talking about is competitive bodybuilder low. 10% is actually pretty shredded. Sub 5 you might only get that low for the week of comp. not healthy to be below that. 

On 3/4/2019 at 5:35 PM, Shafty138 said:

This article made me laugh.  Is it possible to get a value as low as 1.9% with bioelectrical impedance or poorly trained skin fold measures, yes.  Is it accurate..... I doubt it.  Maybe 5-6%, but I'd want that verified using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA).  Often people think that if an athletes looks very lean, he/she doesn't have much body fat.  We have body fat under our skin, in the abdomen (visceral adiposity) and in our muscles.  Athletes and sports commentators throw these values around, without knowing how amusing these comments are to people that do these measures every day.

• Like 2

On 3/3/2019 at 10:35 AM, ThorstenDenmark said:

He had one of the best, IF not the best combine of any player, and we could need a guy like him.

It would be a sexy pick and I think he's gonna be the next big WR in the NFL, so why not go get him?

But my initial question, would you trade up in the draft for him? and How much would you give to get him?

No I would not trade draft capital in the first round to draft a second round receiver. 

• Like 1