Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Todd Gurley has Arthritis in Left Knee

Caleb3502

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

I would assume a large number of NFL players have arthritis

I think your assumption is true. In a sport where the bodies joints are put under stress it has to be a problem.

Most of these players will have serious arthritis problems the older they get too.

On 3/2/2019 at 1:08 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I bet the Rams r thinking of ways to get out of his contract.  Do u think they would actually cut him?

his dead cap hit would be more than 20 million if they did that now, so no they wont do it 

1 hour ago, Luck 4 president said:

NFL needs to provide free health insurance for life for their players. Luckily Gurley got paid, but there are countless other no-name guys who  suffer their entire lives from injuries in the NFL

I disagree ... all these players (and everyone who chooses to play contact sports (boxing, MMA, hockey, etc ..) know the risk when they sign up.  The players/union could arrange to pay for insurance out of their cut if it was that important to them and maybe get the NFL to contribute a percentage based on player contributions, or maybe all injury settlements go into this "lifetime insurance fund", etc ... Why should the NFL foot the entire bill for life for injuries that may have happened (or started) in HS, or College both of which are profiting from the players while giving them much less compensation than the NFL.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

NFL needs to provide free health insurance for life for their players. Luckily Gurley got paid, but there are countless other no-name guys who  suffer their entire lives from injuries in the NFL

Why shouldn't the players pay for their own insurance? Most people who work has to.

If they do become disabled they can draw disability just like anyone else.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

I believe once a player has three years service, he receives benefits for life. It's part of the player compensation, which is a percentage of revenue.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

I believe once a player has three years service, he receives benefits for life. It's part of the player compensation, which is a percentage of revenue.

The insurance only lasts 5 years after retirement

There are other benefits that are for life though 

• Like 2

This is why RBC is the way to go and unless you are a few teams like the Steelers or Cowboys, you cannot run an RB to the ground like the Rams did with the Cowboys. Steelers' James Conner and Zeke have to get their fair share before it is too late, that is the nature of the RB position.

That is why Sean Payton, during Ingram's first game back after his suspension, limited Kamara considerably so that he didn't wear Kamara down and used the tandem wisely.

28 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This is why RBC is the way to go and unless you are a few teams like the Steelers or Cowboys, you cannot run an RB to the ground like the Rams did with the Cowboys. Steelers' James Conner and Zeke have to get their fair share before it is too late, that is the nature of the RB position.

That is why Sean Payton, during Ingram's first game back after his suspension, limited Kamara considerably so that he didn't wear Kamara down and used the tandem wisely.

Yup. Gurley just finished Year 4, and is one year into a six year extension that he's unlikely to finish. When I talk about the value of individual RBs, longevity is a significant part of the equation. Gurley might play several more seasons, but it's possible we've already seen the best of him, and he just finished his rookie deal.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yup. Gurley just finished Year 4, and is one year into a six year extension that he's unlikely to finish. When I talk about the value of individual RBs, longevity is a significant part of the equation. Gurley might play several more seasons, but it's possible we've already seen the best of him, and he just finished his rookie deal.

I firmly think, just for the RB position, they cannot do a 5 yr. contract for first round picks, and only 4 yr. contracts should be permitted with the 4th yr. being an option the club picks up, paid like a Top 10 RB. Usage and low longevity should dictate this logical move for the RB position on behalf of both the NFLPA and the league, IMO.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I firmly think, just for the RB position, they cannot do a 5 yr. contract for first round picks, and only 4 yr. contracts should be permitted with the 4th yr. being an option the club picks up, paid like a Top 10 RB. Usage and low longevity should dictate this logical move for the RB position on behalf of both the NFLPA and the league, IMO.

I don't get it. What's the point?

The fifth year option pays the player close to what the tag would. And four/five year contracts for first round picks is a concession made by the owners; in the old CBA, Gurley would have been signed for six years, probably would have held out before last season. In his case, he got a new deal after three years, paying him $13m/year for Years 4-6. 

The major contract issue for a RB was Bell, and he wasn't a first rounder, so no fifth year option. His big issue was his drug suspensions, not value or longevity. David Johnson was a third rounder, and got a new contract going into Year 4, coming off of an injury. 

I'm already not a fan of RBs in the first round. Forcing me to either commit big money a year earlier or let him walk would just make me even that much more hesitant to draft a RB in the first round. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Every other position would come up with some reason they deserved the same 4 yr contracts. It would open up a huge can of worms. 

11 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

really? We can't even get free healthcare for our Veterans and what healthcare does exist is 5th rate at best.  No, these players make MILLIONs, they can buy their own health insurance. I have too, and I make FAR less than them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

really? We can't even get free healthcare for our Veterans and what healthcare does exist is 5th rate at best.  No, these players make MILLIONs, they can buy their own health insurance. I have too, and I make FAR less than them. 

Veterans do get free health care.  Also,   they don't all make millions.   Most have very short careers as well

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Veterans do get free health care.  Also,   they don't all make millions.   Most have very short careers as well

As a Veteran who deals with the VA, yeah, the "free healthcare" thru the VA isn't what you think it is.  Come with me to the VA hospital if you wanna see LINES of vets being turned away.

And who cares how short their careers are.  Dude, Gurley just made 20 mil last year. Now I'm sure his agent gets 40% but still, the remaining amount after taxes is more than MOST Americans will ever make in a life time.  Needs free healthcare my butt

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If what I get at the VA hospital is called health care, I might as well go die somewhere.

You need to go visit a VA hospital sometime before assuming veterans are getting the health treatment they need.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Which I'm perfectly ok with. But that is a far cry from giving them free healthcare.

I'm not sure how much thought had been given to the original proposition, but the costs for 'free healthcare' for players would obviously come out of their share of football revenue.

12 hours ago, Luck 4 president said:

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not sure how much thought had been given to the original proposition, but the costs for 'free healthcare' for players would obviously come out of their share of football revenue.

Poster stated "free health insurance for life".  Not to be argumentative but how many definitions of "free" can there be?

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If what I get at the VA hospital is called health care, I might as well go die somewhere.

You need to go visit a VA hospital sometime before assuming veterans are getting the health treatment they need.

Been to many a VA hospital.    My father in law had many operations over the years in VA facilities.   It isn't perfect,   but it is free

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

As a Veteran who deals with the VA, yeah, the "free healthcare" thru the VA isn't what you think it is.  Come with me to the VA hospital if you wanna see LINES of vets being turned away.

And who cares how short their careers are.  Dude, Gurley just made 20 mil last year. Now I'm sure his agent gets 40% but still, the remaining amount after taxes is more than MOST Americans will ever make in a life time.  Needs free healthcare my butt

You realize most guys don't get Gurley money I hope. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Poster stated "free health insurance for life".  Not to be argumentative but how many definitions of "free" can there be?

I don't want to speak for him, I'm just saying, the NFL and the NFLPA could arrange for lifetime benefits for players that come out of the players' percentage of revenue. It wouldn't be free, it would be offset from other forms of player compensation.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If it's collectively bargained to give them free healthcare,   it would be free healthcare

read below...

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't want to speak for him, I'm just saying, the NFL and the NFLPA could arrange for lifetime benefits for players that come out of the players' percentage of revenue. It wouldn't be free, it would be offset from other forms of player compensation.

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Been to many a VA hospital.    My father in law had many operations over the years in VA facilities.   It isn't perfect,   but it is free

What you don't seem to take into consideration there is nothing free.

Your father in law bought and paid for his health care when he either joined or was drafted into the service.

I would beg to differ on how you say it is free when taxes pay for the medicine, VA hospitals and staff.

You say it's not perfect? No, it's not even close to being what it should be.

People raise more hades over the treatment of dogs and cats than they do the treatment of our Veterans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, csmopar said:

Not all make millions you know. There are quite a few who are out of the league and never got that big contract but have medical bills for the rest of their lives. I think the NFLPA should push for something similar to the MLB or NBA, not for the stars like Gurley, but for the no name guys who never got paid and left the league due to career ending injuries

• Like 1