Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Too Proud

River Boat Ballard

Going into a off season where Andrew Luck isn't a question mark may have free agents looking at us like the prom queen. We should be a hot commodity (yep I have my fandom glasses on). Still by some chance we miss out on some high profile free agents should Ballard take a gamble/risk by looking to aquire one or all of these players.

Turning a OLB into a DE

Anthony Barr 6'5 250lbs 26 years old 

https://youtu.be/BW11ukvUEWY

We seen names like Preston Smith, Za'Darius Smith, Dee Ford, and even Shane Ray as a possibility for the Colts for defensive end. All of these players are OLB for 3-4 defense.

Height, weight, speed, athleticism and age Barr is on par with the names above. Last training camp he started taking reps at DE. His size and speed compares to his former teammate Danielle Hunter (6'6 240lbs) who got paid. Barr also provides the ability to disguise blitzes because of his ability to drop into a zone. Even if you can't get to the QB we seen how tip passes can disrupt drives and his height and arm length (33 1/2).

A look at next year schedule provides Barr a good chance to transition to having a hand in the ground. We face Texans (2x), Denver, Chargers, Buccaneers, Radiers, and Miami that all have either bad lines and or a stationary QB. 

Looking at Margus Hunt growth in this system and maybe the possibility that the Vikings played him in the wrong position. Would this be a wise move to gamble on Barr.

A 4th round pick for a Reserve/PUP List

Rodney Anderson 6'1 220lbs

https://youtu.be/utferOWkERo

Trying to follow in the footsteps of all the great OU rbs Anderson injury history could be a big red flag for some but not us. The Colts have a crowded backfield with Mack, Hines, Wilkins and Jonathan Williams for now. Drafting Anderson could essentially be for mid season or next season but he could be worth it. His blend of size, soft hands, power and elusiveness is similar to Joe Mixon. The one two punch of Mack and Anderson could be similar what Atlanta had with Freeman and Coleman. 

The draw back is Marcus Latimore taken by the 49ers in the 4th round in 2013. Rodney hasn't proven the ability to stay healthy but a off season plus 6 weeks of nfl facilities, nutrition and trainers could turn his luck around.

A incentive base year CB contract

Jason Verrett 5'11 190lbs 27 years old

https://youtu.be/clH-6HnHc6s

25 games played since being drafted in 2014 it sounds crazy to invest in a guy like this. Verrett when on the field has proven to be a top CB. Ronald Darby is in a similar situation coming off of a injury. Verrett gives us the ability to examine Quincy, keep Desir and strengthen the depth of our CBs at a much cheaper cost. Quincy started 5 games and Desir started 12 this past year leaving room for Verrett to get some starts and playing time to reach a few incentives in a contract (also factoring the amount of time teams are in the nickle defense). Playing against Flacco, Mariota, Winston and Watson he could see alot of lame duck or errant passes in his vicinity.

The Chargers have a history of top players being injured (Keenan Allen, Hunter Henry, Joey Bosa, Melvin Gordon and more). We don't necessarily have a better history but maybe a change can provide Verrett a season to show what he can do. Without the pressure/expectations of being a starter Verrett could be apart of a good to great secondary.

Terminator 2/David Irving 2.0

Shawn Oakman 6'8 287lbs 26 years old 

https://youtu.be/3hiTIDOgn2Y

Sadly for this man 3 years of his career was taken away by an accusation that took 45 minutes of a jury to find him not guilty. Shawn Oakman was a physical marvel, but pretty raw as far as skills and rush moves (bull rush and push pull move). Similar to David Irving his size and ability makes him intriguing, off the field he has issues (dismissed for conduct at Penn State and assault which was never filed). 

A 2 or 3 year deal where the Colts would have to be patience with his growth and development maybe in line. Getting him in football shape and condition would be a must. Oakman would be similar to a draft pick and probably could be stashed on our pratice squad. If he is able to bounce back and add a spin move (Mathis I'm looking at you) he could become a redemption story. Is he worth the risk PR wise?

If you were in Ballard shoes would you roll the dice on any of these guys.

Jason Verrett I have listed on my mock

Oakman never really developed, and would be more raw than a side of beef.....but what risk PR wise is a young guy who was found not guilty of sexual assault, and got dismissed from Penn State like 7 and a half years ago?

2 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

If you were in Ballard shoes would you roll the dice on any of these guys.

Nope. Verrett can't stay healthy, Oakman has never shown he can play, Irving won't follow the rules and doesn't appear to respect them...

And Barr is probably going to get a big contract from someone. I wouldn't give him big money to play a position he's never played well.

I’d be very interested in Anderson with a 4th round pick.   I’m just not sure he’ll last to our picks toward the bottom of the 4th round.

And if not Anderson, I’d be interested in Bryce Love with a 4th round pick.   But the same applies.   I not sure he’ll be available this late. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I’d be very interested in Anderson with a 4th round pick.   I’m just not sure he’ll last to our picks toward the bottom of the 4th round.

And if not Anderson, I’d be interested in Bryce Love with a 4th round pick.   But the same applies.   I not sure he’ll be available this late. 

I was thinking the same about Love.  If he recovers from the ACL what a steal that may be.  I've seen him going as late as the 5th round. 

Based on current circumstances I'd say the best strategy is to pass.  You roll the dice like this when your window is closing.  I could see the Packers do something like this now that they play a little faster and looser.  

But if we really are holding all the cards (cap space, attraction, etc) then we should let the offers come to us and make heady plays for the longer term.  My thinking right now would be to hang onto some cheddar and see what the draft holds as the Patriot house of cards falls (Kraft's "Patriot Missile Crisis", TB12's pending retirement).  The (AFC) South will rise again!