Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams to allow Suh to test the market

34 minutes ago, NewEra said:

From what I read he wasn't all that and coasted in the regular season. 

I don't know how to read that.  But he's a vet and his team was 13-3 and was going to easily make the playoffs.  I know it sounds bad but keeping yourself available and ready for the playoffs when your team is easily going to make them doesn't seem totally out of line.  Why bust it up on every play when your team is winning anyway?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know how to read that.  But he's a vet and his team was 13-3 and was going to easily make the playoffs.  I know it sounds bad but keeping yourself available and ready for the playoffs when your team is easily going to make them doesn't seem totally out of line.  Why bust it up on every play when your team is winning anyway?

As a veg I'd hope he led by example coming and playing his butt off for what he's making. Especially in regards  if we signed him. I did hear he turned it on in the playoffs so he at least still had it. I was just reflecting on the year we had if he came here id expect to NOT coast. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

As a veg I'd hope he led by example coming and playing his butt off for what he's making. Especially in regards  if we signed him. I did hear he turned it on in the playoffs so he at least still had it. I was just reflecting on the year we had if he came here id expect to NOT coast. 

They didn't rotate like we would use him. He had 87.8% of the defensive snaps and 80 more special teams snaps. A Big Load considering.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

I know.  I'm just saying a 1 year $14M contract is a rental.  So why would we expect him to risk future years by balling when it doesn't matter if the contract doesn't speak to future years?

I think some of that team-spirit or veteran leadership stuff contradicts logic.

And his dogged play is probably better than a lot of other DTs full-bore play.  I'm sure Freeney took plays off too, to save himself for when it mattered more. 

As I said, I simply am not sure how to take the notion that he didn't always play hard during the regular season.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jskinnz said:

He's also a well-known *.  

I would be surprised if there is interest from the Colts.

A well known what?  He was lost to injury to start his career, and has been taking awhile to reach his potential, with no guarantees he ever will put it all together.

He's not a big negative influence though, if that's what you meant.... 1 game suspended between his Freshman yr. of HS and going in to his 5th yr. as a pro.....  

He's running out of time to develop into what he was once thought of it would seem, but he's a realistic signing as an ER, as opposed to many pipe-dreams, or problem children being bandied about

54 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

A well known what?  He was lost to injury to start his career, and has been taking awhile to reach his potential, with no guarantees he ever will put it all together.

He's not a big negative influence though, if that's what you meant.... 1 game suspended between his Freshman yr. of HS and going in to his 5th yr. as a pro.....  

He's running out of time to develop into what he was once thought of it would seem, but he's a realistic signing as an ER, as opposed to many pipe-dreams, or problem children being bandied about

The sight would not let me type a word that rhymes with sm*.  He is a knucklehead.

Are you familiar with how he got himself traded out of Jacksonville? 

On top of that he plays a position that the entire league needs and the Jags declined his 5th year option and then traded him.  They could not wait to get rid of him.  He does not strike me as a guy that Ballard would want.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

I know.  I'm just saying a 1 year $14M contract is a rental.  So why would we expect him to risk future years by balling when it doesn't matter if the contract doesn't speak to future years?

I think some of that team-spirit or veteran leadership stuff contradicts logic.

And his dogged play is probably better than a lot of other DTs full-bore play.  I'm sure Freeney took plays off too, to save himself for when it mattered more. 

As I said, I simply am not sure how to take the notion that he didn't always play hard during the regular season.  

I've never seen anything lazy about Suh when I watch him play.  He goes hard.

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

The sight would not let me type a word that rhymes with sm*.  He is a knucklehead.

Are you familiar with how he got himself traded out of Jacksonville? 

On top of that he plays a position that the entire league needs and the Jags declined his 5th year option and then traded him.  They could not wait to get rid of him.  He does not strike me as a guy that Ballard would want.

How did he get himself traded? JAC has cap considerations...and they weren't going to be able to pay him...especially with Ngakoue breaking out and looking like a long-term piece.

Apparently the LAR asked for Fowler in August...and JAC said no. Once they lost to PHI and went to 3-5...they decided to pull the trigger so they could get a pick now instead of a comp pick later.

But reportedly he had moved past the stuff and was a good presence in the locker room. 

Fowler has definitely been a disappointment overall...but you gotta think there is a chance that he can break out. Sometimes it take edge rushers a few years...and he lost his entire rookie season to injury. He will only be 25 next season.

I just don't know if it's worth the gamble at the price tag he will have. I will say this...I would much rather sign a guy like Flower than a guy ZaDarius Smith...if the money is the same.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I've never seen anything lazy about Suh when I watch him play.  He goes hard.

He's getting older and has to be smart enough to see his value diminishing in terms of contract going forward.  If we signed him to something like 3 yrs $29M with $11M guaranteed, with a team friendly structure, that would be a decent deal for us.  He's only a NT at this point, but he's way more disruptive than Al Woods and stouter than Margus Hunt.  Other than being suspended earlier in his career, I think he's played nearly every down since being drafted, which is unheard of for a DT.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 1:00 PM, NewEra said:

From what I read he wasn't all that and coasted in the regular season. 

You can't believe everything you read.

I don't know if he coasted or not, I didn't watch much Ram football, I'm just saying, one writer's opinion may not be based on reality.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

He's getting older and has to be smart enough to see his value diminishing in terms of contract going forward.  If we signed him to something like 3 yrs $29M with $11M guaranteed, with a team friendly structure, that would be a decent deal for us.  He's only a NT at this point, but he's way more disruptive than Al Woods and stouter than Margus Hunt.  Other than being suspended earlier in his career, I think he's played nearly every down since being drafted, which is unheard of for a DT.

And even at this point he got 4.5 sacks last year which ain't half bad. A lot more than Al Woods did.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

And even at this point he got 4.5 sacks last year which ain't half bad.

One other thing.

If folks love the contagious toughness brought to the oline by Q Nelson, shouldn't that be something to consider for the D line?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

One other thing.

If folks love the contagious toughness brought to the oline by Q Nelson, shouldn't that be something to consider for the D line?

Suh is still pretty active. He had 59 tackles/stops last year which is quite a bit more than Woods or Margus Hunt.  You can't do that type of thing if you're loafing and lazy.  And like I mentioned in another thread Aaron Donald doubled his sack production with Suh in there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Suh is still pretty active. He had 59 tackles/stops last year which is quite a bit more than Woods or Margus Hunt.  You can't do that type of thing if you're loafing and lazy.  And like I mentioned in another thread Aaron Donald doubled his sack production with Suh in there.

Yeah Donald attributed a lot of his production to Suhs presence.