Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jason Witten back to the Cowboys!

We read that the older players often say one big reason they retired was how much pregame prep it took as an older player. Warming up, stretching, taping, etc. That is easy to understand. Witten must be a rare physical specimen to be willing to back to that routine.

4 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Mistake if you ask me.  He retired at the right time.  

I believe that Witten is "back with the Cowboys" as a graceful way to leave the broadcast booth. I get the sense that he did this so that it appears that he left broadcasting to return to playing.  That way he won't have "let go by ESPN" on his resume. He probably will not play for the Cowboys this year and will retire before the season. JMO

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I believe that Witten is "back with the Cowboys" as a graceful way to leave the broadcast booth. I get the sense that he did this so that it appears that he left broadcasting to return to playing.  That way he won't have "let go by ESPN" on his resume. He probably will not play for the Cowboys this year and will retire before the season. JMO

Oh you didn't think Witten had Al Michaels ability :sarcasm:

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Prolly true hes not good anymore 

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Me too, he would be just like Romo but even better IMO.

Peyton is a HOF qb, multi millionaire and business owner.  I don't see him coming back to the NFL unless it is as an owner.  Everything else would b a huge step down for him.

8 hours ago, TheMarine said:

Maybe Monday night football will be almost watchable again?

I watch most of the NFL games without the sound on anyway so it don't matter to me.  I wish they would just go back to reporting what they see on the field. Not their 'color' commentary.

12 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Peyton is a HOF qb, multi millionaire and business owner.  I don't see him coming back to the NFL unless it is as an owner.  Everything else would b a huge step down for him.

I don't see how it's a step down.  A new job wouldn't take those things away.  

That said I'm not convinced that he really actually wants to do those things.  

16 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I think you are right although I think he'll play next season.  Mostly because him retiring before the season even starts would make it almost too obvious.  So he'll have to go out there and play one more season.  Maybe then he will try to move into coaching or something.

But I think he realized he wasn't very good at the broadcast booth and I think people making fun of him online probably got to him a bit so he'll give football another year and then try something different.  

On 3/1/2019 at 7:23 AM, Valpo2004 said:

That said I'm not convinced that he really actually wants to do those things.  

He wants to do something, apparently. And the one thing he's actually done in any official capacity so far is the ESPN Detail videos, which indicates some level of interest in producing content and breaking down games, if not broadcasting. 

Difference between those videos and being on MNF is that he can do those videos from the comfort of his own home, more or less on his own schedule. No production meetings, no travel required, no MNF audience/microscope. 

• 2 weeks later...