ClaytonColt

Dexter Lawrence and Jaylon Ferguson with our first two picks

Both of these guys have had their off field issues which may put them into our range at 26 & 34 when I'd usually  expect them to taken a little bit earlier. I'm not sure either are risky enough propositions to be completely taken off our board though.

In my opinion the addition of both would cause a massive improvement in our front seven. Given his size Lawrence is obviously a prototypical run stuffer but he seems to cause plenty of problems pushing lineman back into the quarterback on passing downs and if there are any weak links on the opposition interior O-Line then he's going to find and exploit them.

Ferguson's pure sack stats may be overblown and it's probably unfair to compare him against the top tier pass rushers. But as a low 1st, early 2nd round prospect I don't know what more you could ask? I like his hustle and speed. Every time I watch his tape I can just imagine him and Leonard hunting down runners and quarterbacks around the line of scrimmage.

Has anybody got opinions on those two prior to the combine, I'm not expecting either of them to make waved during the drills but I could be surprised? Are either of these two worth the risk or are their talents not worth their perceived draft position and How much difference would the combination of disruptive force in the middle and an explosive but raw pass rusher make to our team? 

• Like 1

I don't like either of these prospects to the Colts. I haven't heard great things on Ferguson, and Lawrence more fits the 3-4 defense as he doesn't offer much pass rush at all. 

I would keep an eye of guys like Christian Wilkins, Dre'Mont Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, and potentially Khalen Saunders at DT for the Colts. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

Both of these guys have had their off field issues which may put them into our range at 26 & 34 when I'd usually  expect them to taken a little bit earlier. I'm not sure either are risky enough propositions to be completely taken off our board though.

In my opinion the addition of both would cause a massive improvement in our front seven. Given his size Lawrence is obviously a prototypical run stuffer but he seems to cause plenty of problems pushing lineman back into the quarterback on passing downs and if there are any weak links on the opposition interior O-Line then he's going to find and exploit them.

Ferguson's pure sack stats may be overblown and it's probably unfair to compare him against the top tier pass rushers. But as a low 1st, early 2nd round prospect I don't know what more you could ask? I like his hustle and speed. Every time I watch his tape I can just imagine him and Leonard hunting down runners and quarterbacks around the line of scrimmage.

Has anybody got opinions on those two prior to the combine, I'm not expecting either of them to make waved during the drills but I could be surprised? Are either of these two worth the risk or are their talents not worth their perceived draft position and How much difference would the combination of disruptive force in the middle and an explosive but raw pass rusher make to our team? 

With the Premium this D requires of our Tackles to stuff the run up the middle and to free up our LB's to make plays, Lawrence could be great for us.
 He has dominating physical tools. And he absolutely can get push.
 And i like what i see from Ferguson. I think he will get push with his power, really like his left hand jab to the tackles shoulder with power. I think he can be very good controlling his edge, and at getting off the block. With all 4 d-lineman able to create pressure, i think he can be a solid piece.

• Like 4

I love Dexter Lawrence as long as his off the field issues check out. He's just a huge, excellent NT that would fit on our D-Line very well. On the other hand, I'd be upset if we took Jaylen Ferguson with either of our first two picks. I just don't like him as a pass rusher. He has poor hand technique, poor awareness, and I don't trust him any more than someone like Lewis or Turay, who are late 2nd round project guys, which I believe Ferguson is. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I don't like either of these prospects to the Colts. I haven't heard great things on Ferguson, and Lawrence more fits the 3-4 defense as he doesn't offer much pass rush at all. 

I would keep an eye of guys like Christian Wilkins, Dre'Mont Jones, Jeffrey Simmons, and potentially Khalen Saunders at DT for the Colts. 

I think that's a fair point of view on Lawrence and he certainly looks like a nose tackle but I think he's a little better than that to be honest.

Interested about the things you've heard about Ferguson though. Obviously there's the fight and the other misdemeanor that has him banned from performing at the combine but I haven't seen any other red flags?

• Like 2

I think Lawrence COULD be a fit

He needs to drop 25 lbs   The guy put up 8 1/2 sacks his first year, and he DOES push the pile

Not my first pick......  But I think he could work some weight off and play 3 downs..... the guy is an athlete

There are a WIDE range of opinions on Ferguson

I think the combine performance can lock him down as to where he should be picked

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

I think that's a fair point of view on Lawrence and he certainly looks like a nose tackle but I think he's a little better than that to be honest.

Interested about the things you've heard about Ferguson though. Obviously there's the fight and the other misdemeanor that has him banned from performing at the combine but I haven't seen any other red flags?

So many people act like we DONT need a nose tackle...but they have short memories... we won our Super Bowl after we brought Booger McFarland in, and he was a bit of a nose tackle, himself... and the Pats used Vince Wilfork (definitely a nose tackle) when running both a 3-4 and a 4-3.

Having that big guy who can stuff the middle is important, to free up the speed guys to get off faster etc.

Not saying Lawrence would or would not be a good pick/fit for us, just stating my belief that we do need that big guy to clog up the middle.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

So many people act like we DONT need a nose tackle...but they have short memories... we won our Super Bowl after we brought Booger McFarland in, and he was a bit of a nose tackle, himself... and the Pats used Vince Wilfork (definitely a nose tackle) when running both a 3-4 and a 4-3.

Having that big guy who can stuff the middle is important, to free up the speed guys to get off faster etc.

Not saying Lawrence would or would not be a good pick/fit for us, just stating my belief that we do need that big guy to clog up the middle.

We used Al Woods in this role last year. He was one of the reasons the run D was so stout most of the year. He is now an older free agent that I doubt we bring back. I would definitely be glad with Lawrance as a pick.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

I think that you would agree, a NT is this defense is different than a NT in a 3-4

We need a stout guy, but he HAS to generate push and has to offer a bit of pressure

Vince was a mountain of a guy who was immovable...... of course...... he didnt actually move himself either (Not much)

1 hour ago, KB said:

We used Al Woods in this role last year. He was one of the reasons the run D was so stout most of the year. He is now an older free agent that I doubt we bring back. I would definitely be glad with Lawrance as a pick.

And the colts got,woods for cheap in free agency.  No reason to use a premium pick on a clogger.

• Haha 1

Wilkins (Strong Character Guy/Colts Guy) at 26 would be ideal... But I think we are going to have a selection of DT3, DT5, late in the 2nd and 3rd rounds...Jack Doyle is not a given to be back or be healthy.  I would not be upset with Hockenson  (Strong Character Guy/Colts Guy) TE at 26 or 34 (Run Blocking and Great Pass Catcher for Luck until the end of time...) Interesting to see where Murphy, Baker CB fall as well. 

If FA: Flowers or Clowney EDGE and Collins S

Hope we go with DT, CB, or TE with 26/34...If those guys are there...

1. One CB away... Wilson, Hooker, Collins, CB...

2. We did little to nothing offensively against KC, NE... 3rd down conversion 

3. We face some really good QBs next year (Pass Defense...Ball Control)

IMO

8 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think Lawrence COULD be a fit

He needs to drop 25 lbs   The guy put up 8 1/2 sacks his first year, and he DOES push the pile

Not my first pick......  But I think he could work some weight off and play 3 downs..... the guy is an athlete

There are a WIDE range of opinions on Ferguson

I think the combine performance can lock him down as to where he should be picked

This is what makes the guy intriguing. If the Colts believe he could add some pass rush at a lower weight, I would not be shocked at all if he's their pick at 26.....subject, of course, to how he explains/deals with the failed drug test. There is no denying the man's talent. 

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I love Dexter Lawrence as long as his off the field issues check out. He's just a huge, excellent NT that would fit on our D-Line very well. On the other hand, I'd be upset if we took Jaylen Ferguson with either of our first two picks. I just don't like him as a pass rusher. He has poor hand technique, poor awareness, and I don't trust him any more than someone like Lewis or Turay, who are late 2nd round project guys, which I believe Ferguson is. 

His strength is his hand technique.

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I mean he lacks the hand technique to shed blocks. Which he does. He doesn't get leverage on the O-Lines very well. Definitely a weakness.

10 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I also forgot to respond, his hand usage is a strength, his hand technique is a weakness, it's somewhat hard to separate the two, but that's what I mean in a nutshell. They are two different things after all.

The more I’m looking over possibilities for 26 I’m thinking jaylon Ferguson seems a likelihood.  

I could see a trade up for wilkins or burns but if not and Ferguson is there at 26 I think that is the pick.  Him rotating with Turray could be perfect this year

Not too interested in Ferguson

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Not too interested in Ferguson

17.5 sacks.  All the measurables.   Looks good for that spot in the draft to me. 

On 2/28/2019 at 10:50 AM, ClaytonColt said:

I love Lawrence man! I see future All-Pro written all over him..We got to be willing to take some chances where we a picking this year.. There are gonna be some steals to be had..My top 4 would be 1A-WR-Dk Metcalf- 1B. WR- Hollywood Brown--3.DT-Dexter Lawrence. 4-CB-Greedy Williams ...We get 2 of these guys with 1st two picks we are in business.

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

The more I’m looking over possibilities for 26 I’m thinking jaylon Ferguson seems a likelihood.  

I could see a trade up for wilkins or burns but if not and Ferguson is there at 26 I think that is the pick.  Him rotating with Turray could be perfect this year

last I seen he wasnt even being talked about til late 2nd and 3rd round. no reason whatsoever to take him at 26

5 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

17.5 sacks.  All the measurables.   Looks good for that spot in the draft to me. 

His athletic testing was horrible. His 3-cone time would have been bad for a 4-cone drill. Also showed up for his pro day out of shape which is unacceptable considering he wasn't allowed at the combine. Looking athis tape I see a pure bull rusher, a guy too stiff to bend the edge in the NFL. He shouldn't be considered a 1st round pick IMO. I'd take a flyer maybe in the 3rd round.

Lawrence would do more than clog the middle.  It looks like he could push the pocket if blocked by just one man.  If it takes a double team to keep the pocket clean, that is a commodity worth a premium pick, IMO.  Not to mention, it might help keep Leonard clean, although that was more the function of an NT in our old D.

The positive test is turning me off, combined with the notion he might have issues keeping weight off.   I'm hoping that isn't a sign of a questionable work ethic.

I don't care for Ferguson in the early rounds.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

I dont care about his sacks against lower level competition. What i see on film in terms of how he moves tells me how well hed do. The guy is stiff as a board. Hes Margus Hunt only that Hunt had more freak athletic traits. And with all of Hunts freak traits he had no success in the league as a pass rusher until they moved him inside. Personally i think the same will need to be done for Ferguson.

If the Colts drafted Ferguson it wouldnt shock me if they played him more inside than outside. It would be how the Cowboys used this guy:

I look at how strong he(ferguson)is as a bull rusher. I think he could get good push from the interior. But you could still rush from the outside at times.

I’d love it if Ballard was able to get either Dexter Lawrence or Christian Wilkins with the 26th pick.  Our D-line needs to get the first round love this time.   Build the trenches. 

5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

last I seen he wasnt even being talked about til late 2nd and 3rd round. no reason whatsoever to take him at 26

Just the type of surprise that Ballard has for us and 8 weeks into the season we will hail him for it!

4 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

His athletic testing was horrible. His 3-cone time would have been bad for a 4-cone drill. Also showed up for his pro day out of shape which is unacceptable considering he wasn't allowed at the combine. Looking athis tape I see a pure bull rusher, a guy too stiff to bend the edge in the NFL. He shouldn't be considered a 1st round pick IMO. I'd take a flyer maybe in the 3rd round.

Ballard will pick him and then say he’ll worry about that when they put cones on the field!   - jk.   I’ve only read the write ups on this guy and by those he sounds like a real fit for 26

3 hours ago, krunk said:

I dont care about his sacks against lower level competition. What i see on film in terms of how he moves tells me how well hed do. The guy is stiff as a board. Hes Margus Hunt only that Hunt had more freak athletic traits. And with all of Hunts freak traits he had no success in the league as a pass rusher until they moved him inside. Personally i think the same will need to be done for Ferguson.

Maybe so.  I haven’t watched tape, just read about the kid.  Sounds legit.  And the production always is high on my list.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, krunk said:

If the Colts drafted Ferguson it wouldnt shock me if they played him more inside than outside. It would be how the Cowboys used this guy:

I look at how strong he(ferguson)is as a bull rusher. I think he could get good push from the interior. But you could still rush from the outside at times.

270 after gaining 10.  Not sure if he has the weight for inside.  But I’m realizing this d is looking for athletetic inside instead of girth.  I was on the Lawrence train but think It May miss the station.  

11 minutes ago, krunk said:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/david-irving?id=2553233

https://mobile.twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1108186873187454976?lang=en

Ferguson and David Irving have some of the same or similar athletic testing numbers.

Irvings file also said he might be too light to play inside. But he had no problem doing that once he became a pro.

I think I’m mostly trying to prepare myself for Ballard to reach in the first then to be really happy he did furring the season 

Ferguson does have a lot of strength i will say that. You can see it on film. Hes just not very quick. He over powers people using his hands and his length..

The thing you have to keep in mind with Wilkins is that at 342 lbs, he tested as good or better as the 300 lb DTs. What does that tell you?

And now let’s imagine he drops a couple pounds and gets to 320. At that weight he’d be able to play NT and 3T.

Just food for thought.