Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

2019 NFL Combine Measurements, Athletic Testing, Interviews, etc

Recommended Posts

Why is everyone suddenly on the Butler train after today? The dude can't, and still can't, catch the dang football. He had a ton of drops in school, and a TON of drops today. The Colts don't need another WR who can't catch. I'd still rather take Harry, or even Campbell after today. Harry may not be the fastest, but he's super smooth and catches everything thrown his way. Campbell's gauntlet run today was smooth as all get out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Exodus said:

Why is everyone suddenly on the Butler train after today? The dude can't, and still can't, catch the dang football. He had a ton of drops in school, and a TON of drops today. The Colts don't need another WR who can't catch. I'd still rather take Harry, or even Campbell after today. Harry may not be the fastest, but he's super smooth and catches everything thrown his way. Campbell's gauntlet run today was smooth as all get out. 

I have not noticed him having any more drops than most prospects in the class. He attacks the ball away from his body with regularity. I am not worried about his hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have not noticed him having any more drops than most prospects in the class. He attacks the ball away from his body with regularity. I am not worried about his hands. 

 

Anybody watch extensive tape on the guy?  How many routes on the tree can he run? How well does he run each of them? does he get in and out of breaks quick enough to create separation? Or is he a throw it up and let him go get it, outfight the defender, guy?

 

I haven't followed any college ball or players this year, but do know Megatron has worked with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So I guess the question is, would anyone here take Hakeem Butler at 26?

 

Nope! Rather have P. Campbell at 34.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stitches said:

I have not noticed him having any more drops than most prospects in the class. He attacks the ball away from his body with regularity. I am not worried about his hands. 

This is not meant to come off a rude, or me being a smart***, so please don't take it as such. You don't have the frame, hands, and speed that he does, and not be considered for the #1 overall pick without reasons. Everything I've read about him says he's raw, inconsistent, and has a ton of really bad drops. It is this man's opinion, that we don't need anymore of that. We're looking to upgrade the WR position, and I do not believe in his current state that Butler is an upgrade. Especially at 26 and 34. If he's there with our late 2nd, I'd absolutely consider it, but not at all with our first two picks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

 

Anybody watch extensive tape on the guy?  How many routes on the tree can he run? How well does he run each of them? does he get in and out of breaks quick enough to create separation? Or is he a throw it up and let him go get it, outfight the defender, guy?

 

I haven't followed any college ball or players this year, but do know Megatron has worked with him.

He runs variety of routes, but he's not the most agile player. He doesn't come off his breaks in a sharp fashion and IMO that will be his biggest limiting factor. He's very physical off the LOS  and he does beat press man, though, through physicality. He's not refined as a route runner. He can create separation mainly through his physicality in the short to intermediate range and through his speed downfield. He makes a ton of plays after the catch. He's hard to bring down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

m7rz0i.jpg

 

I agree with Exodus. Butler's NFL.com profile makes it clear, drops are a big concern. I don't want Darrius Heyward-Bey 2.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Exodus said:

This is not meant to come off a rude, or me being a smart***, so please don't take it as such. You don't have the frame, hands, and speed that he does, and not be considered for the #1 overall pick without reasons. Everything I've read about him says he's raw, inconsistent, and has a ton of really bad drops. It is this man's opinion, that we don't need anymore of that. We're looking to upgrade the WR position, and I do not believe in his current state that Butler is an upgrade. Especially at 26 and 34. If he's there with our late 2nd, I'd absolutely consider it, but not at all with our first two picks

Just wait. He's going in the 1st round(or early second). For some weird reason people were doubting his speed until now. That's one of the main reasons he wasn't considered a 1st round pick. I've been saying for months that he's fast and looks fast to me on tape and that he will run around 4.5 if not faster... and he did run about that fast(4.48 final official). Now people will go back to the tape and see the speed.

 

His route running does need refinement and he's indeed not one of the most polished receivers, but he does have outrageous physical traits. He will never be an amazing separator simply because I'm not sure you can expect that from a 6'6" player with the inherent for that height lack of agility. But he does separate in other ways, he uses his physicality and hands to beat press man on the LOS and he does use his body and speed to separate downfield. He also has great after the catch ability and contested catch ability. He catches all sorts of underthrown or overthrown balls that you don't expect him to get to. And one of the best things about him is he has great contact balance and he's a threat to take it all the way to the end zone even after contact in the air. He has multiple TDs where he battles for the balls in the air, pries it away from the defender and then keeps on his feet and trucks several players on his way to the end zone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dillon Mitchell 4.47 - I like him. 

 

Isabella ran in the 4.5s... weird. 4.46 in the second run. 

 

Hunter Renfrow 4.59... that's good enough. 

 

Riley Ridley 4.61... 4.59 second run

 

Deebo Samuel 4.50... 4.49 second run

 

David Sills V 4.57 with a stumble. 

 

Darius SLayton 4.40

Jaylen Smith 4.48

Gary Jennings 4.43

KeeSean Johnson 4.61

 

DaMarkus Lodge 4.56

 

Terry McLaurin 4.36

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stitches said:

Dillon Mitchell 4.47 - I like him. 

 

Isabella ran in the 4.5s... weird. 

 

Hunter Renfrow 4.59... that's good enough. 

 

Riley Ridley 

Isabella 4.5?? That aint right. Was projected to push 4.2! Must be an minor injury there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RNGDShobby said:

Isabella 4.5?? That aint right. Was projected to push 4.2! Must be an minor injury there.

it was 4.56... yah... it's weird. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Sills V just ran a 4.57 after biffing the start. He's someone I'd look at in the late second, third round

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, stitches said:

Just wait. He's going in the 1st round(or early second). For some weird reason people were doubting his speed until now. That's one of the main reasons he wasn't considered a 1st round pick. I've been saying for months that he's fast and looks fast to me on tape and that he will run around 4.5 if not faster... and he did run about that fast(4.48 final official). Now people will go back to the tape and see the speed.

 

His route running does need refinement and he's indeed not one of the most polished receivers, but he does have outrageous physical traits. He will never be an amazing separator simply because I'm not sure you can expect that from a 6'6" player with the inherent for that height lack of agility. But he does separate in other ways, he uses his physicality and hands to beat press man on the LOS and he does use his body and speed to separate downfield. He also has great after the catch ability and contested catch ability. He catches all sorts of underthrown or overthrown balls that you don't expect him to get to. And one of the best things about him is he has great contact balance and he's a threat to take it all the way to the end zone even after contact in the air. He has multiple TDs where he battles for the balls in the air, pries it away from the defender and then keeps on his feet and trucks several players on his way to the end zone. 

He has Jon Gruden written all over him at #27. I've been thinking that for a while

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Exodus said:

David Sills V just ran a 4.57 after biffing the start. He's someone I'd look at in the late second, third round

For a QB convert he does have great ability to track the ball and he has great late hands to the ball... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Penn State quarterback Trace McSorley was asked at the NFL's scouting combine to also work out with the defensive backs, but has declined to do that, telling all involved he is concentrating on being a quarterback as he heads into next month's draft, sources told ESPN."

 

https://6abc.com/sports/sources-mcsorley-declines-to-work-out-with-dbs/5164417/

 

Wow, that has to sting a little bit. I don't blame him for declining right now either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Isabella 4.5?? That aint right. Was projected to push 4.2! Must be an minor injury there.

 

hes quick not fast ... more wes welker than tyreek. watch him play he doesn’t look anywhere close to 4.3. not weird just realistic but this is america

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MFT5 said:

 

hes quick not fast ... more wes welker than tyreek. watch him play he doesn’t look anywhere close to 4.3. not weird just realistic but this is america

Not weird just realistic but this is America? What the hades does that even mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Not weird just realistic but this is America? What the hades does that even mean?

 

it means i knew you would respond. frequencies let me know yu know what we know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, stitches said:

OMG! 4.33 METCALF! wth. 

I'll eat my crow on that one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'll eat my crow on that one

How does that change your evaluation ? Do you think he's a potential X receiver? How high would you take him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

So I guess the question is, would anyone here take Hakeem Butler at 26?

 

No.    And I wouldn’t take him at 34 either.

 

59 is the earliest and I’d prefer he gets picked at 89 if at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sills looks really nice and smooth catching the ball in the gauntlet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

No.    And I wouldn’t take him at 34 either.

 

59 is the earliest and I’d prefer he gets picked at 89 if at all. 

Yeah, I was unaware of his catching woes when I posted that. Much rather have Metcalf now at 26.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

No.    And I wouldn’t take him at 34 either.

 

59 is the earliest and I’d prefer he gets picked at 89 if at all. 

Is there a receiver you would want earlier than 59? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I was unaware of his catching woes when I posted that. Much rather have Metcalf now at 26.

Metcalf won't be there at 26 IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, I was unaware of his catching woes when I posted that. Much rather have Metcalf now at 26.

There's no way Metcalf makes it to 20, let alone 26.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, stitches said:

Is there a receiver you would want earlier than 59? 

 

Samuel, Campbell, or Boykin with 1 of our day 2 picks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stitches said:

Metcalf won't be there at 26 IMO. 

 

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

There's no way Metcalf makes it to 20, let alone 26.

 

Right now no. The defense hasn't even done their combine yet. Plenty of people could bump him down. Things don't always go logically. He is only a WR after all, not a premium position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

 

Right now no. The defense hasn't even done their combine yet. Plenty of people could bump him down. Things don't always go logically. He is only a WR after all, not a premium position.

WR is a premium position. It's arguably the second most important offensive position after QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every year a top ten possible pick falls. Hooker was suppose to be a possible top 5-10 pick and he fell to us. I have no doubt a good quality player will fall to use, especially if NFL teams are dumb enough to take 4 QB's in the first round.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

WR is a premium position. 

QB, LT, and pass rushers are premium positions. WRs are one of the least premium positions in the NFL and are easy to find. This is also a loaded WR class from the looks of the combine. Someone may take him early, but there's an equal chance he falls to us when the defense is done with their combine as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

QB, LT, and pass rushers are premium positions. WRs are one of the least premium positions in the NFL and are easy to find. This is also a loaded WR class from the looks of the combine. Someone may take him early, but there's an equal chance he falls to us when the defense is done with their combine as well.

WR is on par with CBs and pass-rushers when it comes to importance. Both advanced analytics and the way NFL teams pay receivers point to that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

QB, LT, and pass rushers are premium positions. WRs are one of the least premium positions in the NFL and are easy to find. This is also a loaded WR class from the looks of the combine. Someone may take him early, but there's an equal chance he falls to us when the defense is done with their combine as well.

To Ballard it seems the trenches are the premium positions after QB.   I can't argue with him :number1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stitches said:

WR is on par with CBs and pass-rushers when it comes to importance. Both advanced analytics and the way NFL teams pay receivers point to that. 

A great QB can make bad WR's good. WR's are a luxury in today's NFL. Look at the Patriots, Julian Edelman is a 7th round slot receiver, and he is by far their best receiver. Even TE's are more important than WR's because of their importance in the end zone. Yes, WR's get paid, but so do every position. A shutdown corner is irreplaceable, same with an elite pass-rusher, you see what Luck did with Hilton and a bunch of nobodies. All a receiver really needs is good hands and route running and a top QB can do wonders with them. The bar is very low for WR's these days. Of course the elite ones give a huge advantage, but they are hard to find.

 

Even Ballard has been lazy with WR's for the most part because he knows production is easy to find. We've just had bad luck. Of course, Metcalf and Butler have the skills to be elite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 4:04 PM, stitches said:

If he runs under 4.5 I'm drafting him at 26 without bating an eye... If he runs under 4.5 he might not be there at 26 for us to pick him. 

...and he did, Hakeem Butler that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lord, DK Metcalf is a freak lol. I've been singing his praises for a while, but now I'm all-in on him. If the Colts take a WR in the 1st (very unlikely), then please lord baby jesus let it be him. That kid is gonna be a Nuk Hopkins, OBJ kinda talent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, Nkeal Harry isn't the fastest dude on earth, but man is he physical, and is a YAC machine. Reminds me of Dez Bryant, he shouldn't be able to make guys miss like that at his size. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I wouldn't say I'm particularly good with evaluating players coming out of college. And especially with projecting them forward(I have some hits, but I also have some huge misses). I'm doing this for fun and for engagement with other Colts fans(I just like talking about football and the team and the future of the team, etc.), I don't have any illusions about my abilities as an evaluator - think of it like this - even the best FOs in the league miss on about half their picks... and most people here(me included) don't have anywhere close to their knowledge, their time to watch players, their resources - financial or scouting resources, their intel on players(this is the biggest difference IMO between amateurs like us that watch on the internet and what the teams can do - they have soooooo much more information about those players and what makes them tick).    Yeah, a lot of it is luck. This is why I love that Ballard realizes that and has said that this is the reason he prefers to accumulate picks, which he has done. This is one of the biggest paradoxes in the league. Imagine you are prospective GM for a team and you go to an interview with the owner  but instead of telling him "I'm the best man for the job, because I can evaluate better than everyone else", the real answer is more along the lines of "look, most teams/GMs in the league have about the same success with drafts over the long haul, so hire me to turn the wheel of fortune for the team". In essence, the answer is - you have to be humble about just how not good the success rate of draft picks is(even for the best GMs) and you have to devise a strategy in another way - namely - instead of just trying to have high success rate per pick... just get more picks and try to hold the success rate similar. This is how you shift the odds in your favor. You are more likely to get 5 starters out of 10 picks than out of 7 picks.    The reality is - even if we draft a QB in round 1, chances are about 50-50 that he's going to bust... but then again... those are roughly the chances for every other position too. Maybe just a little bit more or less of some other positions, but QB is so important that it doesn't matter. The reward of getting a great QB is way too big. You just have to keep trying until you get the guy.       Manning and Luck are kind of exceptions though. I haven't really seen people talk about many other QBs in that way. For example, Trevor Lawrence is probably the one I've heard people talk in most similar terms as a can't miss QB, but even he had his questionable play to begin this season. We will see what happens with him next year and if he will enter the draft in a similar standing as Luck. Luck is the most can't miss QB I've seen and I haven't seen anyone close since.(this is as a prospect coming out of college) Even the Mariotas or Winstons or Mayfields and Darnolds of the world had a lot of more doubt.    BTW, there is something that IMO gets underrated a bit - the environment those QBs enter into. Very few are can't miss that can transcend a chaotic team atmosphere, bad coaching or OLine, lack of weapons, etc. This is why what Luck did was so amazing and why he was a can't miss prospect - just look back at what he had to deal with... horrible coaching, horrible OLines, horrible defenses... we take 100 yard rushers for granted... Luck didn't have a 100 yard rusher to help him for what was it? 5 years straight or something?    So yeah, I think whoever we draft will have much better situation to succeed than a lot of other young QBs enter. We have good coaching staff, we have good OLine... we need better weapons, but that can be fixed through allocating resources there. 
    • Nelson and Leonard can’t be extended until after their third year. They need one one season to be elgible. Our oline is going to have some major dollars wrapped up in it one Nelson signs after next year.
    • Ebron as i recall, was top 5 all-time in receptions for his first 4 years.  There was a certain amount of disfunction with Detroit. I think Ebrons drops got him extra attention.
    • He almost beat Michigan State last year. To me he looks like he is in a NFL offense. Looks like a NFL QB to me. Much more then what I saw from Herbert last night.    
    • This is a video of Utah state from last year when they played Michigan State. Love looks like he is in a NFL style offense and looks like a NFL player to me  BTW there is some footage of Khari Willis int in this video.  I guess I don’t see why a guy like Herbert would go before Love. It’s a pretty big difference to me in the style of offense they play.      
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...