Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2019 NFL Combine Measurements, Athletic Testing, Interviews, etc

Here's a general thread to post measurements and testing results from the combine.

Some of the measurements are leaking... 

I'm gonna start with the one everyone waited for. Kyler Murray measured at 5'10 1/8" and 207lbs... His hand size is good too - 9 4/8th "

More QBs:

Some WRs:

AJ Brown is shorter than I expected. I thought he was supposed to be 6'2" or something... 

^take note on Jazz Ferguson... he might be a sleeper. He measured huge for a WR and some people expect him to run really fast too.

Some TEs:

This looks like a very good TE class for whatever it's worth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

I've heard the possible reason is he doesn't want to be seen standing next to the other QB's present (he'd look quite tiny in comparison, despite bulking up to 207 lbs). This despite Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield success has diminished QB height these days.

I think he should do it anyway.  Besides, Cam Newton had one of the worst combine throwing sessions ever at the demonstrated at the combine, yet where was he picked in the 2011 draft again?

6 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I've heard the possible reason is he doesn't want to be seen standing next to the other QB's present (he'd look quite tiny in comparison, despite bulking up to 207 lbs). This despite Russell Wilson and Baker Mayfield success has diminished QB height these days.

I think he should do it anyway.  Besides, Cam Newton had one of the worst combine throwing sessions ever at the demonstrated at the combine, yet where was he picked in the 2011 draft again?

IMO at this point it's more important for him to show competitiveness and desire to play football rather than actually win the throwing session. Right now the biggest questions about him are regarding his dedication to football and willingness to compete, rather than about his size and athleticism and ability to throw the football. He actually is probably one of the best arm talents in this draft on tape. I doubt a bad throwing session would hamper his stock much. I think he can only win by showing up and being ready to do what's asked of him by NFL teams. 

Also... about his weight. I can't help but think he just chugged several gallons of water before he stepped on the scale. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, stitches said:

Hakeem Butler is HUGE!!! ^^^

Felton Davis was intriguing before he suffered a season-ending injury:

I wonder where he is in his recovery and whether he's on the radar of NFL teams. 

BUTLER has long arms and a great wing span. Affirms he will play over the top of a lot of people.

• Like 1

Some more WRs:

^I expected Anthony Johnson to be bigger. He cannot afford to run in the 4.6s now... 

Andy Isabella is short but he does have some bulk to him. He's not super slight. 

Deebo is a tank. 

^somewhat under the radar prospect to watch

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

Deebo has huge hands, and is built more like a RB than a WR.

Riley Ridley has giant hands also. 

Hakeem Butler, to be expected, with outfielder's gloves for hands...

What's your WR ranking so far? Go as deep as you feel comfortable to go.

26 minutes ago, NewEra said:

This guy is killing me with his 2/8, 4/8, 6/8. Measurements lol

1/4, 1/2, 3/4

It's done for consistency reasons. There are several different formats that people in the league use that rely on the measurements being listed in 8ths of an inch. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's done for consistency reasons. There are several different formats that people in the league use that rely on the measurements being listed in 8ths of an inch. 

That's so whack it makes my head hurt.  

Okay, going to go take a chill pill now lol

Hakeem Butler’s profile is impressive. 6’5” with long arms and huge hands. If he runs in at least the 4.5 range you could be looking at Alshon Jeffrey 2.0

Also the size of AJ Brown mixed with his savvy route running ability, makes me want to keep him in the slot in the NFL. He is going to be a mismatch against nickel corners. I care more about his 3 cone than his 40 tbh.

Would have liked to see Ridley come in a bit heavier with that height.

Overall this is a gigantic WR class.

16 hours ago, buccolts said:

Renfro has huge hands also.

There aren't pockets big enough.....

Hunter Renfrow's real hand size was 7 7/8, some people on twitter say it's one of the smallest hands ever registered in the combine. But thankfully it doesn't show on tape, he is a very good player.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

Hunter Renfrow's real hand size was 7 7/8, some people on twitter say it's one of the smallest hands ever registered in the combine. But thankfully it doesn't show on tape, he is a very good player.

Yah, that's the weirdest thing... usually small hand size is a concern when talking about reliability in catching the ball, but Renfrow catches pretty much everything thrown his way. This is one of the cases where I would say the maxim "it's only a problem if it's a problem on tape". And IMO it is very far from anything resembling a problem on tape. 

Jachai Polite measured in at 6-2 5/8 and 256lbs which is pretty good for him and 4-3 teams. Be interesting to see how he tests now. 32 5/8 arms are a little short but he is still the guy I hope somehow reaches #26 (he mostly likely won't I know).

Brian Burns 6-4 6/8, 249lbs, 33 7/8 arm length is excellent for him too. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

This guy is killing me with his 2/8, 4/8, 6/8. Measurements lol

1/4, 1/2, 3/4

We do the same thing in the construction industry, everything is based on 1/16", so it's 1/16, 2/16, 3/16...

It's not math class you don't have to reduce. :)

• Like 1

On 2/28/2019 at 8:07 AM, stitches said:

IMO at this point it's more important for him to show competitiveness and desire to play football rather than actually win the throwing session. Right now the biggest questions about him are regarding his dedication to football and willingness to compete, rather than about his size and athleticism and ability to throw the football. He actually is probably one of the best arm talents in this draft on tape. I doubt a bad throwing session would hamper his stock much. I think he can only win by showing up and being ready to do what's asked of him by NFL teams. 

Also... about his weight. I can't help but think he just chugged several gallons of water before he stepped on the scale. 

You don't want that.

Too much water in the system is a red flag to testers.    They think you''ve cheated with drugs and are trying to flush it out of your system.      Seriously.     That's how they flag it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

We do the same thing in the construction industry, everything is based on 1/16", so it's 1/16, 2/16, 3/16...

that always bugged me in math classes, especially at higher levels.  "simplifying" fractions is a waste of time in the real world, and ironically extra work for no good reason 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don't want that.

Too much water in the system is a red flag to testers.    They think you''ve cheated with drugs and are trying to flush it out of your system.      Seriously.     That's how they flag it.

Very good point. Thanks. Haven't thought about it, but they will probably indeed know if he drank a ton of water before measuring. Maybe he just had a regular old fashioned 5 domino pizzas and 10 big macs meals for the last 2 months... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

that always bugged me in math classes, especially at higher levels.  "simplifying" fractions is a waste of time in the real world, and ironically extra work for no good reason 

Some measurement tools only list simplified fractions, so it's necessary to know that 4/16 = 1/4, etc. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I've been in construction for 20 years. Ran my own business for last 12 doing tile, wood, ect. I'd flipping lose my mind LOL. But that's how I was taught from day one with grid systems and such. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You don't want that.

Are the drug tests the same day as the weigh-ins?  If they are different days it probably isn't an issue.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

That's false. If you measure something and it comes out to 1:4 it's a 1/4 NOT 2/8. Reason being is there's four 1/4's in one inch

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I've been in construction for 20 years. Ran my own business for last 12 doing tile, wood, ect. I'd flipping lose my mind LOL. But that's how I was taught from day one with grid systems and such. 

it's hard to tell from this post, you were taught what, to reduce or not to reduce, that is the question?

Here are some DL and LB measurements:

^ yeah... he's not getting out of the top 10-15... too bad... I'd love him on the Colts

^very good measurements from Tillery. He is our 3tech if we want him IMO. 

^Ferrell with good measurements too. Long arms.

^that's great weight and length for Burns. Some analysts were speculating that he was playing in the 220s during the season. Now lets see how good he tests at those 249...

^Joe Jackson is much bigger than I expected. Damn! Interesting...

Do you guys see Omenihu as a DT or DE? Or DE who kicks in inside on passing downs? 

Sweat is super long ... damn.

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Renell Wren is interesting to me!!! Also want to see how John Cominsky does in the drills.

Well, according to the NFL.com Combine site he is listed at 6'5 318lbs, but I think they made a mistake, they also list him with 318" arms.  :woah:

He can use them to keep guys off him, but it takes him so long to get them into position. 

• Like 1