Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mort - "peyton Thought He Was Going Back To The Colts"

Peyton and Eli fan

I still don't think that the decision was a "financial" decision with regards to Peyton. I assume that in the meetings that took place between Peyton and Irsay, he was told that Regie would not be retainted, Garcon may leave the Colts, and that Clark, Addai, Bullit, Painter, and Bracket were going to be released to make cap space. At this point it was Manning's decision to stay with the Colts or look to play with another team. At the press conference, they mentioned that it was a mutual decision. Manning no longer saw the Colts as his best option, with so many of his close teammates leaving or being released. Not to mention the already existing problem of a poor defense, and now a lack of offense, and a whole new coaching staff. It was clear to Peyton that it was time to move on for both sides.

IMO This was entirely a financial decision. Do you honestly think we would have released Peyton if we could have had him for 10 mil cap hit this year? We released him because we could not afford him and good players around him. Also, the releasing of players to clear cap space making us able to afford manning is not an argument that it was not a financial thing...instead it sounds even more like a financial thing to me.

Not intended toward the quoted poster but a lot of people feel we released bracket, Clark, addai, bullit, and possibly garçon for nothing. I am pretty sure that we will get compensatory picks (or whatever you call them) picks in next years draft for releasing them.

I think Peyton would have played with 52 undrafted free agents had the colts asked him too. However I think irsay has real questions about Peyton's arm strength, honestly thinks luck is the next great qb and thinks his growth could have been stunted by not playing (peyton even said rookies need to play), and as irsay said on the presser he wanted to give Peyton a chance to win and knew they weren't going to be able to give him that here. Normally I would just dismiss someone when they say that but I honestly believe irsay when he says it.

I honestly think Peyton is one of those guys who cared more about where he played than money or things like that. He wanted to be a colt win or lose for his career sadly because of circumstances that didn't happen.

Hard to see him go but given what happened Friday and the direction the team is going in its still the right call. Keeping just Peyton (which based on recent cap numbers even after the cuts) would not have let us keep the other guys and would have prevented us from getting him any help in free agency and made signing draft picks challenging. Beyond just loving the guy it makes no sense to have a 36 year old qb who will be 38 or 39 when you are competitive again when you have the guy most people feel is the best prospect since him looking you in the face in the draft.

Do you really think they would be a Super Bowl contending team even with all those guys?

No. I think they're still a SB contending team with 18....regardless of who else is on the team. I can understand cutting some of the guys, but the point remains, you don't gut a franchise that is 2 years removed from a SB appearance, and a 14-0 start. We were a couple quality draft picks away from making a deep run, and now we're 3 quality drafts away from being a contender again.

By all rights Peyton would've never been able to win another championship when the players we just released would've been released anyway. This was the right move for the Colts and Manning.

Does not play. With Peyton the team is reloading and would be in transition. Peyton helps Rookie player on Offense and gives the team the ability to draft balanced filling needs on both sides of the ball. Plus with Peyton here, the transition for the new F.O. and Coaching staff would be smoother. Without, you have what we have now. Could Peyton won another SB here, hard to say. Some of the cuts needed to be made, other could have been restructured, IMO.

By all rights he should have been able to stay.

No reason to gut a franchise that was in the Super Bowl two years ago, because you can draft a highly rated quarterback prospect.

AGREE 1000% This team was NOT AS BAD as Irsay thinks. Draft Luck could have had your cake & eat it too. Seamless transition. Hum are Arch rivals the Patriots seem to know how to get it DONE! :flaming: Maybe they are better than us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flyingelvis:

IMO This was entirely a financial decision. Do you honestly think we would have released Peyton if we could have had him for 10 mil cap hit this year? We released him because we could not afford him and good players around him. Also, the releasing of players to clear cap space making us able to afford manning is not an argument that it was not a financial thing...instead it sounds even more like a financial thing to me.

Not intended toward the quoted poster but a lot of people feel we released bracket, Clark, addai, bullit, and possibly garçon for nothing. I am pretty sure that we will get compensatory picks (or whatever you call them) picks in next years draft for releasing them.

It about clearing FUTURE CAP SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!! For players around Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He "IRSAY" truly knows we are going to SUCK BIG TIME, for at the very least 2 years :yuk: . Only time will tell if he was right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to twitter or Colts facebook page he didnt go unscathed, simply put manning DIDNT want to stay or he COULD have reworked a deal, no one can tell me he would have been missing that much money, Jim did what he had to do and I'd say he new we all were going to react this way so he never gave a clear reason, simply put he is the OWNER if ya all dont like what HAD to be done by the team from him, I support his decision and I am a COLTS FAN not a Peyton WORSHIPPER

Go to twitter or Colts facebook page he didnt go unscathed, simply put manning DIDNT want to stay or he COULD have reworked a deal, no one can tell me he would have been missing that much money, Jim did what he had to do and I'd say he new we all were going to react this way so he never gave a clear reason, simply put he is the OWNER if ya all dont like what HAD to be done by the team from him, I support his decision and I am a COLTS FAN not a Peyton WORSHIPPER

Granted I am a Colt fan FIRST, & I like Peyton as our QB as we can win NOW! This team is going to be very BAD for the foreseeable future.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. Peyton's "camp" has been just as complicite in the rumors and talk thru this whole episode as Irsay. Don't get me wrong...I think there is plenty of blame to go around for both sides. But to come out NOW and say, thru a national media guy, that he thought he would stay...I don't buy it. Peyton could have made the decision to stay anytime he wanted to, IF he wanted to. I believe it didn't make sense for him to stay; I hate it, but I've accepted it. But if he "wanted" to stay, he certainly could have. Fire Condon, rework your contract the way it would make financial sense for the team. Done.

we could very well be bad we obviously dont have all the right pieces in places which also tells me manning was the band aid to hold it all together, what do you think would have happened when he retired. ya know he dont let backups practice much behind him, maybe that was a part of the decision to let him go, long story short the bandaid is off, now we can focus on building a TEAM, whats done is done time to move on and look to the future Luck is going to need our support, to not give him his fair shot if we draft him would be a disservice to him, the organization and to onesself period, its a business

Shouldnt this be in NFL General? :P

At this point it really doesn't matter - whats done is done and I'd rather think about the Colts future.

I really dont buy it either - both sides have been playing the media game the last couple of months and both have done it pretty well. If one was better I would say Mannings media game has been a bit better - least he wasn't using movie star pals to break the rumors.

well personally 10.00 an hour is reasonable considering more then half the US population DOESNT make 90 million dollars just with a signature. but seriously I know football is a business and they make insane amounts of money in that business FROM US, Im quite sure he could of spared a few dollars and he still would have been able to feed his family unless hes that bad at handling money, he followed the money thats all he did. I heard he turned down 100 million at one point, well what about that 90 he signed for while injured around the time of one of his surgeries, dont worship the man, he is just a man , support the team, players will come and go

Was listening to Mike and Mike this morning and Chris Mortensen was on. He said that people don't seem to want to believe it, but Peyton really thought he was returning to the Colts this year right up until Irsay said no one week ago.

Manning was happy with his throwing session at Duke, and thought he'd be returning.

He said it's been an exhausting week for Peyton.

Petyon and Tom Condon set up a contact (all the while knowing Manning was NOT IN GOOD HEALTH) and Irsay signed it on "good faith" ................................................

Peyton got paid 26 MILLION DOLLARS last season to not play...

Do any of you really expect your owner to make a 4 year commitment to the GOAT simply on loyalty?

Our owner is Not an *, he made one of the thoghest decisions in the history of Pro Football.

Irsay knew all along. He should have just kept his mouth shut and less poeple would be upset.

I'm thinking even the Andew Luck for prez in 2012 club are wtfing right now.

no one saw the complete dismantling coming. don't say you did. because you didn't.

I did. I just wasn't sure they'd actually do what needed to be done since I knew the fanbase wouldn't take it well and I know Irsay wants us happy

Petyon and Tom Condon set up a contact (all the while knowing Manning was NOT IN GOOD HEALTH) and Irsay signed it on "good faith" ................................................

Peyton got paid 26 MILLION DOLLARS last season to not play...

Do any of you really expect your owner to make a 4 year commitment to the GOAT simply on loyalty?

Our owner is Not an *, he made one of the thoghest decisions in the history of Pro Football.

The voice of reason. I wish that more could come to grips with this and move past it.

Irsay knew all along. He should have just kept his mouth shut and less poeple would be upset.

I'm thinking even the Andew Luck for prez in 2012 club are wtfing right now.

no one saw the complete dismantling coming. don't say you did. because you didn't.

I did. I just wasn't sure they'd actually do what needed to be done since I knew the fanbase wouldn't take it well and I know Irsay wants us happy

Me too and its pretty well documented that several seen this coming and tried to prepare people for it for the last 2 months. Most just chose to ignore the signs right in front of their faces and keep hoping against hope that things wouldn't change.

The stats don't lie. We are going to struggle next year. I would rather they draft RG3. Our chances might improve.

And if you discount the last 3 on that list, as they have yet to complete more than 2 complete seasons, how many SB rings do the remainder have? Eight I believe. And average of 2 per player. I'll take 2 SB's from Luck. What about you?

I dont know if I buy this.

If Peyton really thought he was coming back, he was the only one. Sources close to him said he would play in 2012, but not in Indy right around super bowl time. I think this is something Mort is floating via Peyton to make Irsay look worse.

I agree. I'm really skeptical on this one. Seems fishy to me

well personally 10.00 an hour is reasonable considering more then half the US population DOESNT make 90 million dollars just with a signature. but seriously I know football is a business and they make insane amounts of money in that business FROM US, Im quite sure he could of spared a few dollars and he still would have been able to feed his family unless hes that bad at handling money, he followed the money thats all he did. I heard he turned down 100 million at one point, well what about that 90 he signed for while injured around the time of one of his surgeries, dont worship the man, he is just a man , support the team, players will come and go

Peyton gets paid a lot of money because his job is in HIGH DEMAND, and he is one of the best if not the best at doing that job. He could have taken more money than he got because for some illogical reason, Jim Irsay kept wanting to give him more than Peyton wanted to take.

Do you know how much money NFL owners make? How much NFL teams are worth? You act like Peyton is the bad guy because he earns the market price salary for his job.