Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Doyle is out until training camp

CR91

On 2/28/2019 at 12:39 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I find it interesting and also confusing....    Jack Doyle, the Colts starting Tight End is out and won't be available until camp opens in Late July.

Fans here are worried that he might ever be the same.     OK,  fair concern.

But let's remember,  that Jack Doyle was himself an UnDrafted Free Agent.    And worked his way into being a starter.     A good starter.

And to replace him,  some here are recommending that we use our FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK to replace an Undrafted Free Agent.     I think Tight End is an important position.   I don't think it's the equal to cornerback.     But the First Round Pick?       There's no part of me that wants to use a first round pick on a tight end.    Not at this stage of Ballard's rebuilding project. 

How about using the first round pick (and maybe even pick 34) on defensive lineman.    Positions that are critical for the success of Ballard's defense.    Especially since it's a draft that is unusually heavy in high quality defensive lineman.     I think some where are just over-thinking this.

No need to use a 1st on a tight end.   There are other priorities.

Makes no difference in what round or where you found a guy. You replace the production of a guy and Jack produced quite well. So you are saying if the next Gronkowski is sitting there at 26 (not implying anyone will actually be near the product Gronk has been) you wouldn’t take that guy over a potential reach just to say we are trying to fix a defensive line that needed attention? BPA is the model here with in reason and perspective to position ie: QB spot is marked off any list. 

11 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I’m not in belief that we take anything but a defensive player at that 26 spot but if, like you said, all the top defensive guys are gone already and we become forced to grab someone just to go defense, I could live with a top offensive TE,WR or even a tackle. I think we are wide open to options at this stage of the game. Helps we have that early 2nd too. 

Edit - I just realized I misread your post.  Apologies.

So this is for anyone else.  Does anybody listen to Ballard talk?  Anyone?

If the best player on their board is a TE, T, WR, RB or any offensive position other than QB at 26, they will take that player.  Simple as that and Ballard will say the goal is to make the team better not just one side of the ball.

43 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Edit - I just realized I misread your post.  Apologies.

So this is for anyone else.  Does anybody listen to Ballard talk?  Anyone?

If the best player on their board is a TE, T, WR, RB or any offensive position other than QB at 26, they will take that player.  Simple as that and Ballard will say the goal is to make the team better not just one side of the ball.

I didn’t see the edited part so it appears we are speaking the same thing. Awesome!! Any player except QB, K and P is likely open on CB’s BPA board and gets the nod unless the number for an offensive guy and defensive guy is real close and then I believe he defers towards the defensive guy. 

54 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Makes no difference in what round or where you found a guy. You replace the production of a guy and Jack produced quite well. So you are saying if the next Gronkowski is sitting there at 26 (not implying anyone will actually be near the product Gronk has been) you wouldn’t take that guy over a potential reach just to say we are trying to fix a defensive line that needed attention? BPA is the model here with in reason and perspective to position ie: QB spot is marked off any list. 

The next Gronkowski?    Over a reach? Sure, when you put it that way, of course you’d take the Iowa kid.    Anyone would take T. Hock. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

I’m not in belief that we take anything but a defensive player at that 26 spot but if, like you said, all the top defensive guys are gone already and we become forced to grab someone just to go defense, I could live with a top offensive TE,WR or even a tackle. I think we are wide open to options at this stage of the game. Helps we have that early 2nd too. 

I hear you..... and my preference is that somehow Clemson DT Christian Wilkins slips down to us.... but it’s very unlikely IMO.

And yes... that high 2nd rounder gives Ballard some flexibility at #26.

Free agency will factor in as well.

• Like 2