Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard Speaks Prior to Combine

Barry Sears

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Agreed.  I'm pretty sure the original question was about Bell and of course he can not talk about a specific player under contract.  It really is a shame we can't hear the questions.  But Bell certainly fits the definition of a player that could put a team over the top.  Mack is a good player but Bell is a great player so 2+2 =4.  No need to read between the lines.  I think we will be one of the teams talking to Bell.  Not sure we will get him but I think we will be negotiating.  Wouldn't be surprised if it's happening right now during the "illegal tampering period".   Fun times coming.  

You can't assume Ballard was talking about Bell. 

You should know by now you can't assume anything with Ballard. You might be taking a guess but don't hold your breath waiting for the Colts to sign him.

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Pump up the volume on the question.  I can hear this:  "You talked before about how well Marlon has performed.  He was not a high draft pick and you got a lot out of him....  Could you foresee with the amount of cap you have a circumstance in which you may (inaudible) at that position?" 

And Ballard responds by cutting him off, "I know where you're getting at here.  First thing is I'm not going to comment on that loaded comment you just fired at me.  I will say this.... even if we have a good player in a certain position, if we think this new one (i.e., FA) can put us over the top, we'll make the move."

The question was definitely going after Bell, and Ballard stopped it short and made a very blanket statement which is probably true for every position on this team.  I wouldn't read much into it.  It was a reporter trying to make news and Ballard responding in a vague, yet professional way.  Nothing more, nothing less (IMO).

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

You can't assume Ballard was talking about Bell. 

You should know by now you can't assume anything with Ballard. You might be taking a guess but don't hold your breath waiting for the Colts to sign him.

See above.  That question was definitely trying to bait Ballard into talking about Bell.  

Ballard answered it by saying he won't fall into the guys trap and then gives a very generalized blanket statement, which I think can be applied to the whole team (i.e., if they see the right opportunity to upgrade at position where we are already pretty sound, they will pursue it).

As Ballard spoke very highly of Marlon early on in the presser (and many times over Marlon's short career), I doubt we pursue Bell heavily this off-season.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

See above.  That question was definitely trying to bait Ballard into talking about Bell.  

Ballard answered it by saying he won't fall into the guys trap and then gives a very generalized blanket statement, which I think can be applied to the whole team (i.e., if they see the right opportunity to upgrade at position where we are already pretty sound, they will pursue it).

As Ballard spoke very highly of Marlon early on in the presser (and many times over Marlon's short career), I doubt we pursue Bell heavily this off-season.

This was my thoughts as well. 

3 hours ago, shastamasta said:

I don't know about that. Compared to Geathers...Collins is absolutely a playmaker. And Collins instead of Geathers is the type of move that could help put a team over the top. They aren't even comparable in terms of value and impact:

Collins (career) - 8 INTs, 22 TFL, 4 SACKS, 3 FF, 321 SOLO TACKLES

Geathers (career) - 0 INT, 3 TFL, O SACKS, 3 FF, 137 SOLO TACKLES

Yes, Collins has played more games (cause he has been much healthier)...but even if we doubled Geathers games (and stats)...he doesn't come close. And Collins is nearly two years younger.

In Eberflus's defense.....Collins and Hooker deep with Geathers in the box on nickel/dime situations would be potent.

I could see that as a possibility.....

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Early in the interview Ballard said he wanted players that put the team first. Players that will put their stats in check for the good of the team.

That eliminates Bell and Brown. 

I don't understand why some just don't get what Ballard has said from day one.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

The biggest thing that continues to stick out to me is his commitment to the draft. He has used the "throwing darts to a board" analogy since day 1 here. The more darts you get, the better chance you get more to stick. (Might even hit a bullseye, or in last years case two bullseyes)... I love that analogy and he is practicing what he preaches.

To go along with that, my big takeaway was that he isn't looking to move up in the draft. He likes them picks... all of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The biggest thing that continues to stick out to me is his commitment to the draft. He has used the "throwing darts to a board" analogy since day 1 here. The more darts you get, the better chance you get more to stick. (Might even hit a bullseye, or in last years case two bullseyes)... I love that analogy and he is practicing what he preaches.

To go along with that, my big takeaway was that he isn't looking to move up in the draft. He likes them picks... all of them. 

Maybe his moving up in last years draft to the second round was a one time thing.
Probably NOT.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

Bell turned up his nose at the $14.5MM franchise tag last year and chose to sit it out rather than take nearly a million bucks per game. I think he has it in his mind that he's worth something close to $20MM per year for three years, with a substantial percentage, or all of it, guaranteed. There may be some GM out there who loses his mind and comes close to that, but I wouldn't expect Ballard to be that guy. Paying Bell that kind of money for part-time work, splitting snaps with Mack, would probably be ample evidence to have him committed. 

Not quite THAT simple.... Bell turned his nose up at a 1 yr. contract, with no security for his future....  He'd previously stepped up and played on one year deals, with no long term security for him, which is basically a good faith gesture if you think about negotiations ANYWHERE outside of professional sports... 

He felt he had shown good faith, and was not seeing any reciprocity from the Steelers, in his view at the very least...  Somehow in sports, unlike anywhere else in life, a contract employee is the bad guy, and not a "team player" if they try to look out for their own long term security... 

Even after they have previously negotiated in complete good faith ( I.E. signing the franchise tag the year prior)  Also, the Steelers pretty much had a verbal agreement with Bell not to tag him again, then they reneged.....  sure, under the same circumstances you'd crawl back and take whatever your  company offered in the same scenario, one in which you had plenty of money to keep you comfortable while taking a year off....lol.....C'mon....

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think he meant he likes having 9 picks and values every pick in the draft.  I agree with @throwing BBZ below.  Check out this link -- he used the same exact dartboard quote during last year's draft: https://www.colts.com/news/indianapolis-colts-select-11-players-in-2018-nfl-draft-20613394

Luckily for us, the three strongest/deepest positions in this draft are the three we need most (Interior DL, Edge Defender, and WR).  There is also a pretty good crop of DBs and to a little lesser extent OL and LBs (IMO, the other three areas where we need to at least be looking into improving our depth).

Chances are, like every year, there will be unexpected things that happen or runs at certain positions.  The nice thing with the 9 picks is, let's say we've got a guy on our board we're happy with at the 26th pick, but another guy we weren't expecting to be there who we have ranked higher falls... it isn't going to kill us to give up the 34th pick and a later pick to move up a few slots and get a player we coveted at 26 and a player we really, really coveted at 26 but weren't expecting to be there.

We had several trades in last year's draft.  I expect us to move around a little this year, too.  With Jacoby Brissett potentially becoming trade bait, things could get even more interesting.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

Maybe his moving up in last years draft to the second round was a one time thing.
Probably NOT.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, Exodus said:

Interesting. What is your thought process behind this? Bell is absolutely an upgrade, but his character and locker room presence are quite literally the opposite of what Ballard looks for. I'd almost say he could have been talking about Landon Collins. Especially given the Geathers conversation earlier in that interview 

My thought process is that I am not serious at all.  Complete sarcasm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

Probably NOT.

Maybe he was ok with moving up a whole 3 spots to 64 from 67 because all he lost was the pick that he acquired by moving back from 49 to 52 with the Eagles earlier in the round... He's always going to be wheeling and dealing, but the point (and you obviously missed it greatly) was that he isn't going to give away draft capital (again, he didn't lose any last year moving up to the 2nd round like you apparently want to believe) just to move up to pick a player, specifically in the first round... which would cost a lot. 

Edit* it actually wasn't the Eagle's 169th pick which we acquired from trading down 49 to 52 that we lost... it was the 178th pick. So we actually came out ahead in those two trades... which makes this whole thing even better

40 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I think he meant he likes having 9 picks and values every pick in the draft.  I agree with @throwing BBZ below.  Check out this link -- he used the same exact dartboard quote during last year's draft: https://www.colts.com/news/indianapolis-colts-select-11-players-in-2018-nfl-draft-20613394

I think you grossly misunderstood what I said... I didn't put that last phrase in quotes, but those were Ballard's exact words in the presser. I know what he meant... It doesn't mean he literally loves each position to the point he isn't going to move at all in the draft. He moved a LOT last year. It means he isn't going to lose the amount of picks or draft capital in order to move up for one player, which would lose a pick (or more) and therefore one (or more) less darts on the dart board.

~Which brings me to the next point that you missed~

I obviously know he used the dart board quote last year as I said he has used it several times before... and how fond I am of that particular quote. 

Also, see my response above to BBZ... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

As long as he is wheeling and dealing and finding those talented players it's all good.

Agreed. But he isn't going to lose draft capital to do so. He's going to keep looking to acquire picks and/or value, which if you'll go and see my response to bbz, he even did in trading Up to the 2nd round last year... and then he's going to find those talented players with said acquired picks and/or value.

22 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Maybe he was ok with moving up a whole 3 spots to 64 from 67 because all he lost was the pick that he acquired by moving back from 49 to 52 with the Eagles earlier in the round... He's always going to be wheeling and dealing, but the point (and you obviously missed it greatly) was that he isn't going to give away draft capital (again, he didn't lose any last year moving up to the 2nd round like you apparently want to believe) just to move up to pick a player, specifically in the first round... which would cost a lot. 

I know he values picks but I don't think for one minute he wouldn't spend some of that draft capital if the right player could be had.

18 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Agreed. But he isn't going to lose draft capital to do so. He's going to keep looking to acquire picks and/or value, which if you'll go and see my response to bbz, he even did in trading Up to the 2nd round last year... and then he's going to find those talented players with said acquired picks and/or value.

I don't assume too much out of Ballard.  This is only his 3rd draft as a GM. His first draft went really well because it wasn't hard to find talent at the college level to replace a few players on the roster he inherited.

He hit a home run last draft and drawing conclusions on what he does in the future is pre mature at this point.

I don't think for one second he wouldn't pull the trigger on that one player he and the staff wanted.

• Like 3

It's funny how some can hear what they want to hear in Ballard's comments. Almost a Rorschach test...

Regarding free agents and adding high profile players, Ballard didn't say anything today that deviates from what he's been saying since he took the job two years ago. 

Then, he went on with Dakich later, and said directly that just because they finished last season strong doesn't mean the team is at the point where they can take swings at risky players. He talked about how one year doesn't mean you're set, and how they will continue to stick with their principles of team building, team chemistry, etc. For anyone who thinks the locker room is ready to add a big name guy with baggage, Ballard directly said he does NOT think they're ready for that.

I look at the inkblot of Ballard's comments -- today, and for the last two years -- and I see a clear indication that he's not going to be signing or trading for high profile guys who have been in disputes with their previous teams, or teammates. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Early in the interview Ballard said he wanted players that put the team first. Players that will put their stats in check for the good of the team.

That eliminates Bell and Brown. 

I don't understand why some just don't get what Ballard has said from day one.

Agreed Ballard has consistently explained his process since day 1. They dont't want to understand becuse it means Bell/Brown will not be a Colts. Those who think we are going to spend a ton in FA are going to be disappointed. This off season won't be much different then last year.

I look for Geathers Desir and Inman to be back. They have earned new deals and fit the mold as veterans in the locker room.  It doesn't mean those positions won't be upgraded through the draft or FA.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Interesting interview.  One comment that stuck out to me was made with about five minutes left. I think it was about a particular FA that he can not comment on.  I couldn't hear the question.  He said something to the effect of even though we already have a good player at a position but we have the opportunity to bring a player in at that position that could put us over the top they will.  I guess that leaves the door open to a lot of possibilities.  

Please be Landon Collins, please be Landon Collins 

200.gif

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I know he values picks but I don't think for one minute he wouldn't spend some of that draft capital if the right player could be had.

I would hope he would... But based on his repeated comments, and then following it up in action last year, he isn't going to just part with early round picks to move up for one player... This team isn't in position to draft 3 players (his words not mine). And hopefully he'll never deviate from this mindset. Championship teams are built on depth and good quarterback play. We have the quarterback, we need to roster depth. 

And to touch on his mantra of stacking drafts... Would you rather him trade up for one specific player that may or may not be a game changer, or continue stacking drafts like last year? Me personally, prefers the latter. I can't even fathom a team of about 4 straight out of the park draft hauls like last year...

After what Bell and Brown have done to the Steelers' there is NO WAY Ballard wants them near our team.  I know a lot of it is on Big Ben, too...but, those two have egos and it's all about them.  That's not the kind of player and presence we need in our locker room.  Football is a TEAM game and no one player is above the good of the team.

All this speculation about what Ballard will do is interesting but kinda silly. Ballard will do what is best for the Colts in all his evaluations. It is one thing to be guided by general principles - such as building through the draft - but quite another to blindly follow rules - like never overpay for extreme talent. These are not simple, black and white decisions, but are complex shades of gray. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aaron11 said:

they all say stuff like that, somebody is going to sign the big names though 

Somebody will.  And if the guy fits with our team/culture I would expect Ballard to pursue.  If Ballard doesn't feel the guy will fit - regardless of how talented he is - I don't think he will risk screwing up the build process.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I would hope he would... But based on his repeated comments, and then following it up in action last year, he isn't going to just part with early round picks to move up for one player... This team isn't in position to draft 3 players (his words not mine). And hopefully he'll never deviate from this mindset. Championship teams are built on depth and good quarterback play. We have the quarterback, we need to roster depth. 

And to touch on his mantra of stacking drafts... Would you rather him trade up for one specific player that may or may not be a game changer, or continue stacking drafts like last year? Me personally, prefers the latter. I can't even fathom a team of about 4 straight out of the park draft hauls like last year...

I look forward to CB drafting players he thinks we can develop into being very solid contributors in his system. It takes LOTS of quality to win a SB. We all must agree on that one. And we were Playing several guys in the Playoffs that may not be good enough to make a deep roster. JMO
 And i look at all players no matter where or if they are drafted as being able to change games if they become good at their jobs.
 So if one can have any hope or expectation that CB can add in FA and the draft really well each year, with a plan for them, why would i worry about him being willing to go up to get a player that he really wants?
 If, HE SEES  a Game Wrecker at DT or Edge i hope he thinks hard on that one.
And If he adds 2 or more Defensive studs in this FA, i think that would allow him space to move up for a stud in this draft. Otherwise, i see the sense in waiting till after next season to look at how all of our young players look before considering moving up for a draft stud Need in the 2020 draft.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

All this speculation about what Ballard will do is interesting but kinda silly. Ballard will do what is best for the Colts in all his evaluations. It is one thing to be guided by general principles - such as building through the draft - but quite another to blindly follow rules - like never overpay for extreme talent. These are not simple, black and white decisions, but are complex shades of gray. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Very true - these decisions are all shades of gray.  But I don't think anyone said he would blindly follow rules.  I do think he would look at extreme talent similar to other less talented guys.  For example I don't think he would bring a guy like Terrell Owens and pay him as the #1 receiver in the league.  I am not saying that anyone did - just saying I think Ballard is a little more disciplined in his approach.

And I think if he pays big bucks for an extreme talent I am sure he would think he is still getting a good value.  

12 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think you grossly misunderstood what I said... I didn't put that last phrase in quotes, but those were Ballard's exact words in the presser. I know what he meant... It doesn't mean he literally loves each position to the point he isn't going to move at all in the draft. He moved a LOT last year. It means he isn't going to lose the amount of picks or draft capital in order to move up for one player, which would lose a pick (or more) and therefore one (or more) less darts on the dart board.

~Which brings me to the next point that you missed~

I obviously know he used the dart board quote last year as I said he has used it several times before... and how fond I am of that particular quote. 

Also, see my response above to BBZ... 

Didn't miss your second part... I was just putting that article in there to see the actual quote.

3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

What Ballard has said in all of his pressers is the same thing he has said. That is true.

How can you call Ballards drafts mantra when he has only had two?

Look, I like Ballard and wouldn't want any other GM right now but lets be real. He is a very good speaker and sells himself rather well.

His first draft was successful because this team was so void of talent he found college talent better that what was on the team.

He hit a home run his second draft no doubt and it may go down as one of the best draft in NFL history.

You cant say he wouldn't use his draft capital to trade up to get a player that him, the scouting staff and Frank wants. I would hope he is looking to trade up to get one of those elite pass rushers if he can swing it. Yes he values draft picks but he also values bringing in the best talent he can get. If that means giving up some picks to get that player in question I have no doubt he would make a deal.

Would I expect him to make a dumb move? No, but I would expect him to move up to grab a difference maker if he thought one was there.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I look forward to CB drafting players he thinks we can develop into being very solid contributors in his system. It takes LOTS of quality to win a SB. We all must agree on that one. And we were Playing several guys in the Playoffs that may not be good enough to make a deep roster. JMO
 And i look at all players no matter where or if they are drafted as being able to change games if they become good at their jobs.
 So if one can have any hope or expectation that CB can add in FA and the draft really well each year, with a plan for them, why would i worry about him being willing to go up to get a player that he really wants?
 If, HE SEES  a Game Wrecker at DT or Edge i hope he thinks hard on that one.
And If he adds 2 or more Defensive studs in this FA, i think that would allow him space to move up for a stud in this draft. Otherwise, i see the sense in waiting till after next season to look at how all of our young players look before considering moving up for a draft stud Need in the 2020 draft.

And I agree to an extent. But on the same hand, if you address your main needs in FA, which he very well might do in a few weeks (fingers crossed) why would you trade away draft capital for one specific player when it goes against everything you believe in. He believes in acquiring picks or aka "darts" and stacking drafts. If you are sitting with multiple solid positions in the draft like we are this year and the ability (and belief in the scouting of your team to nail each pick) why would you trade 2 or 3 for one player? Especially knowing your team needs depth and talent across the board. 

Acquire picks. Make moves in the draft to acquire more picks and value. Trust your scouting. Draft all-pro rookies. Stack one draft after another... No need to reach for players. Trust the scouting.

3 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And I agree to an extent. But on the same hand, if you address your main needs in FA, which he very well might do in a few weeks (fingers crossed) why would you trade away draft capital for one specific player when it goes against everything you believe in. He believes in acquiring picks or aka "darts" and stacking drafts. If you are sitting with multiple solid positions in the draft like we are this year and the ability (and belief in the scouting of your team to nail each pick) why would you trade 2 or 3 for one player? Especially knowing your team needs depth and talent across the board. 

Acquire picks. Make moves in the draft to acquire more picks and value. Trust your scouting. Draft all-pro rookies. Stack one draft after another... No need to reach for players. Trust the scouting.

And if the scouts said there was a game changer worth trading up for?  You take what Ballard says too literal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

What Ballard has said in all of his pressers is the same thing he has said. That is true.

How can you call Ballards drafts mantra when he has only had two?

Look, I like Ballard and wouldn't want any other GM right now but lets be real. He is a very good speaker and sells himself rather well.

His first draft was successful because this team was so void of talent he found college talent better that what was on the team.

He hit a home run his second draft no doubt and it may go down as one of the best draft in NFL history.

You can say he wouldn't use his draft capital to trade up to get a player that him, the scouting staff and Frank wants. I would hope he is looking to trade up to get one of those elite pass rushers if he can swing it. Yes he values draft picks but he also values bringing in the best talent he can get. If that means giving up some picks to get that player in question I have no doubt he would make a deal.

Would I expect him to make a dumb move? No, but I would expect him to move up to grab a difference maker if he thought one was there.

Does that philosophy change if he brings a premium edge rusher in during FA like Flowers? If he truly believes in addressing needs and finding value in FA, then he'll set up his draft to be in position to not reach for a player and be able to trade down to acquire more darts at the board instead of up and losing capital. 

How can I call his draft mantra? He's made it abundantly clear he believes you acquire as many darts to throw at the dart board and you stack drafts. That's his draft mantra... 

What worries me is the continued noises coming out of Reich's mouth about running the ball and stopping the run being priorities for this team. He also continues to use widely debunked arguments for the importance of the running game in relation to success of play action and RPOs. I really do hope the firms that they've hired for advanced analytics keep bringing to him what the stats really say about it. 

I haven't had any serious problems with the way Reich is calling his games and I've been overall impressed by him in this regard so for now I will take what he's doing as more indicative about his philosophy than what he's saying to the media, but I'm mildly concerned that this professed philosophy will rear its ugly head at some important point of the playoffs or something... 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Does that philosophy change if he brings a premium edge rusher in during FA like Flowers? If he truly believes in addressing needs and finding value in FA, then he'll set up his draft to be in position to not reach for a player and be able to trade down to acquire more darts at the board instead of up and losing capital. 

How can I call his draft mantra? He's made it abundantly clear he believes you acquire as many darts to throw at the dart board and you stack drafts. That's his draft mantra... 

Like I said. If there was a game changer he could trade up to get and use some of that draft capital you been talking about him as a GM would have to do it. That is his job.

And if the scouts said there was a game changer worth trading up for?  You take what Ballard says too literal.

If they tell him to jump off a bridge is he going to jump? 

Perhaps I do. But so far, he's done pretty well exactly what he says. So I have no reason to not continue buying what he's selling. It'd have to be a pretty damn sweet deal for him to move up that far in the draft to acquire one player...

Like I said. If there was a game changer he could trade up to get and use some of that draft capital you been talking about his as a GM would have to do it. That is his job.

He found a game changer in the 2nd round last year. I think he knows the value of his picks and the value of players and where they are likely to fall better than any of us on here... he's proven it so far. I don't see him trading those valuable 2nd round picks to move up for one player, unless the value they have on their head is just off the charts. 3 really good players still beats taking a chance you land one great one. For this roster, at this point in his career anyways. He's pretty well said he isn't comfortable drafting 3 players when he can move around and draft 10 every year... We just aren't there as an organization yet. 

2 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

If they tell him to jump off a bridge is he going to jump? 

Perhaps I do. But so far, he's done pretty well exactly what he says. So I have no reason to not continue buying what he's selling. It'd have to be a pretty damn sweet deal for him to move up that far in the draft to acquire one player...

He used the draft capital last draft to move down to get a couple of extra picks. What makes you think he wouldn't trade up to get that game changer? You have to spend something to get something.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

He used the draft capital last draft to move down to get a couple of extra picks. What makes you think he wouldn't trade up to get that game changer? You have to spend something to get something.

... because he has said he wouldn't. And that's all we have to base off of. 

He traded down because he knew one of the 3 premium players he wanted would be there... and he acquired picks (darts) which happens to be exactly what he says he wants to do each draft. Acquire picks and see what sticks. Not trade them away for one player.

What makes you think he won't trade our 26 pick DOWN to acquire more picks (again, like he says he wants to)...