Sign in to follow this  
coltsfeva

Penalties and Friendly Fire

2018 Colts had the second most penalties (132) in the NFL.

There were way too many times when a big play was negated, because of a penalty, including a Chester Rogers punt return for a TD and a couple of Special teams returns for TDs, after blocks.

With young players, you’re going to get penalties but I hope one of the biggest improvements this year will be a reduction of penalties we commit and “friendly fire”, (dropped passes, bad throws, missed tackles,etc)  in general. 

http://www.nflpenalties.com/

• Like 1

Interesting. This really seemed to be a problem earlier in the season when we were losing those close games. I'd be curious if the frequency lowered as the season went on. With one of the youngest rosters in the league one would expect this, but I think we WILL see big improvement in 2019.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hark said:

Interesting. This really seemed to be a problem earlier in the season when we were losing those close games. I'd be curious if the frequency lowered as the season went on. With one of the youngest rosters in the league one would expect this, but I think we WILL see big improvement in 2019.

Here’s the weekly breakdown. 

http://www.nflpenalties.com/team/indianapolis-colts?year=2018&view=games

If you take AV off the team we have the youngest roster in the NFL, i definitely think the problem with penalties is a direct result of having basically a team full of inexperience

One nice thing is that we had the most penalties against us, as well (145 penalties against us and 132 on us).  If you look at it like a +/- as they do turnovers, we were one of only 12 teams in the league to come out with an overall +.  

We also had the most yards against us (we had 1,236 yards of penalties committed by opponents, compared to 1,033 yards against us). So that's another plus.

I was a little surprised that we had more offensive than defensive penalties.

Of our 62 offensive penalties, 32 of them were offensive holding (which was most in the league), 19 were false starts (middle of the pack)... the rest we had very few of per category (e.g., offensive pass interference, illegal shift/motion, too many men on the field, intentional grounding, delay of game).

I guess if we're keeping Luck upright, a hold here and there may be worth it.  I don't just attribute this stat to us being young, though.  I also attribute it to us changing players a lot.  I am pretty sure Q is the only OL who played every game and who stayed at the same position every game.

Aside from having another year to work together, I think the biggest thing to cut down on our OL penalties is to keep our guys healthy and on the field to gel together for a whole season.  On the DL, it's expected that the players are going to rotate within games and throughout the season.  On the OL, it has to become extremely challenging to play alongside a new guy on a weekly basis, let alone within the same game (in some instances we had multiple guys filling in at one position).