Sign in to follow this  
DaveA1102

Ross Travis Signs One Year Deal

Although we have only seen flashes, I have fairly high hopes for Travis, even in an already crowded TE room.

He looks big, yet quick, and had a couple of nice catches at the end of 2017 before injury stole his 2018.

• Like 2

Happy we re-signed Travis, he's got great size, speed and hands. He's a decent blocker but a good pass catcher and route runner. IF he can stay healthy I believe he has a legitimate shot at making the roster. 

May come down to him vs M.A.C. for the final spot behind Doyle and Ebron (Hewitt if resigned or another niche top blocking te will likely round out the roster, though M.A.C showed a lot more blocking ability than was expected).

Signed for minimum.

Saved the team $1.3m, compared to the RFA tender.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I have never heard of this guy. I don’t think he will make the roster.

He was with the team in 2017, mostly an athletic prospect. But he had a decent preseason, then got hurt. It's kind of a no-brainer retention, young guy with upside who we can keep for cheap. Whether he makes the final roster or not is a different story. 

He's probably still rehabbing his torn ACL.

• Like 1

Never hurts to have enough depth at tight end.

• Thanks 1

I feel comfortable with our TE corps. Probably one of the best blocking TE groups the team has had in some time. 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

He was with the team in 2017, mostly an athletic prospect. But he had a decent preseason, then got hurt. It's kind of a no-brainer retention, young guy with upside who we can keep for cheap. Whether he makes the final roster or not is a different story. 

He's probably still rehabbing his torn ACL.

Did he play any during the regular season in 2017 or 2018?  I honestly have no memory of him but I did not get to watch every game.  

To be fair in 2017 I kind of stopped watching on purpose.  Just not a person that can sit and watch his team lose every week.  Not going to change teams I like, but when the team I like is terrible, I usually stop watching at some point.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Did he play any during the regular season in 2017 or 2018?  I honestly have no memory of him but I did not get to watch every game.  

To be fair in 2017 I kind of stopped watching on purpose.  Just not a person that can sit and watch his team lose every week.  Not going to change teams I like, but when the team I like is terrible, I usually stop watching at some point.

2017 he did, he got injured in preseason 4 game in 2018 with a torn ACL. So he missed last year entirely.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Yup, Punters answered already.

Seems like Ballard has a soft spot for Travis. With the team carrying 4 TEs...he will still get a shot possibly...even if they draft one.

2 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Seems like Ballard has a soft spot for Travis. With the team carrying 4 TEs...he will still get a shot possibly...even if they draft one.

I'm not reading anything into it. I'm sure they like something about him, but beyond that, I don't know. He was an RFA, but not work $2m on the open market, so they worked out a cheaper deal.

4 minutes ago, dew5150 said:

Travis is a poor man's Travis Kelce

Yeah...Travis is pretty much half of Travis Kelce.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm not reading anything into it. I'm sure they like something about him, but beyond that, I don't know. He was an RFA, but not work $2m on the open market, so they worked out a cheaper deal.

Nothing to read into it. He obviously likes something about him.

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I feel comfortable with our TE corps. Probably one of the best blocking TE groups the team has had in some time. 

Best In the league 

Doyle & Ali-Cox as in line blockers who can catch.....

Ebron & Travis as down field pass catchers who can stretch the field.....

Still have Brown from the practice squad waiting in the wings who is in the Ebron & Travis mold.....

This is an extremely talented tight end room and Luck has options even without a number 2 receiver.

8 hours ago, Black0ut117 said:

If its between Hewitt or MAC... There is no chance for Hewitt IMO..

Hewitt is HIGHLY overlooked on this forum.

The coaches OBVIOUSLY see value in him (blocking mainly) as he eas seemingly on the field as much as Ebron.  There were times he was moved around and he reminded me of Dallas Clark being shifted around pre-snap.  I believe he (hewitt) is a real part of our imptoved OL play this year. (Never t taking away from NAC but i'd be surprised if Hewitt didnt see twice or 3 times more snaps than MAC.  It appears that Hewitt is the superior blocker.....maybe by alot.

When i watch Travis, i see more of a receiver which could assist us in that area.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

If I remember correctly he had a couple of great catches against Denver in 2017.  That is how he initially got on my radar.

Sticks out in the memory as I think it was a color rush game.

Matt Danely on Stampede Blue seems to really like him also.

I would love to see MAC have a breakout year. He’s our biggest TE and can block and catch. I do wonder about Doyle’s health.

If Travis stays healthy, Hewitt may be the odd man out.

10 minutes ago, DarkSuperman said:

I hope Travis beats out Cox for the final TE spot.

It is like you don't know anything about them.   :cheers:
They supply entirely different skill sets. 
So... that ain't happening.