Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's 2019 offseason mock (1.0)

43 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's hard to project this one. I think it's very possible to have most if not all WRs available at 26. Maybe Metcalf would be already taken. Did you see his pictures from his preparation. He's scarily jacked. He does look like Megatron. I'd pick him at 26 if he was there. I think there is a good chance 3 QBs go before us. I think there is a good chance Josh Jacobs goes before us. 

I think there is a chance most of Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence, Jerry Tillery, Jeffery Simmons, DreMont Jones, Charles Omenihu are there. I personally like Simmons and TIllery the best from that group and would pick them without hesitation at 26(no idea about their off-the-field stuff... GMs should have much better info in order to make informed decision. I'm talking purely football talent). I would also be willing to trade up for Ed Oliver if for some reason he starts to drop to the teens. 

I wonder about the EDGE rushers. People seem to not be extremely high on Ferrell and a lot of people have him dropping to the 20s. If he drops to us I think he's a no-brainer pick. Burns, Polite, Gary, Sweat... I think there is about 50/50 chance one or two of them is there for us to pick at 26. You wrote that you are not the biggest Sweat fan for our system. 

I'm intrigued by the TEs from Iowa. I think one of them(probably Hockenson) will be picked before us... I wonder if Ballard has the balls to take Fant at 26. He might be BPA, but he's at position we already have some nice players. He's a true playmaker. I think he could be a great successor to Ebron, once his contract expires after this coming season and we all know how much Andrew loves his TEs. The value might be better where you picked a TE, though(3d-4th round). 

I'm higher on some of the CBs this year than most. Murphy, Baker are both great in zone but can also play some man-to-man. Greedy is a bit more of a traditional man corner, but I would still pick him if he drops to us. I wonder if any of them is there for us to pick? Probably at least one of them?

Offensive line ... from what I'm reading it seems like there are at least 3 OTs that are likely to go before us - Jawaan Taylor, Cody Ford and Jonah Williams. Lets say one interior lineman goes before us too. 

OK... lets make the calculation then... 

3QBs, 1 RB, 3OT+1OC/OG, 1 WR. 1TE... that's 10 gone. 

Bosa, Quinnen, Josh Allen, Oliver, Ferrell, 2CBs, 1S, Lets say 2 of the EDGE defenders and 3 of the remaining IDL are gone too... lets say Devin White is gone...  We are at 24... There are players like Andrew Dillard(OT), Nasir Adderley, Johnathan Abram(S), Devin Bush(LB), Kelvin Harmon, Marquise Brown, N'Keal Harry(WRs) that very well might go before us. It's hard to project what really will happen past 15-20 of the draft. Teams in a lot of cases have very different evaluations of those players. 

Now, we would probably have some surprises of players falling or others getting picked surprisingly high, but this generally shows a picture IMO of a draft where we would have good choice between talent from different positions. 

Is there a player you would trade up for like I feel about Oliver? Or do you value the picks more than getting a specific player that might be slipping? 

Ferrell didn't pop for me at first, but I watched a bit more on him including a long breakdown by Voch Lombardi.  I think Ferrell will be pretty good. He's got a real good get off amongst other things but I think he needs work with his pass rush plan.  I think Ballard would take him if he's there.  I still kind of prefer Burns, but I think Ferrell is solid.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Matt Miller's updated board has Thompson at #36.

Crabbs big board - Thompson at 52

Ledyard big board - Thompson at 31

Solak big board - Thompson at 3!!!!

Jeremiah big board - Thompson not ranked in top 50

As you can see there is a wide variety of opinions on Thompson. You are definitely not alone and not crazy to like him this much. Just different opinion than mine. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Ferrell didn't pop for me at first, but I watched a bit more on him including a long breakdown by Voch Lombardi.  I think Ferrell will be pretty good. He's got a real good get off amongst other things but I think he needs work with his pass rush plan.  I think Ballard would take him if he's there.  I still kind of prefer Burns, but I think Ferrell is solid.

I think Ferrell is a souped up on steroids version of the Terrell Bashams and Tyquan Lewis of the world. I think he's the type that Ballard loves. I can absolutely see him drafting him. It will be interesting to see how much Burns and Polite weigh at the combine. I've read speculations that Burns played in the 220s during the season and Polite was not much heavier(despite what their school pages say). It definitely will be interesting to see how they test for their weight... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think Ferrell is a souped up on steroids version of the Terrell Bashams and Tyquan Lewis of the world. I think he's the type that Ballard loves. I can absolutely see him drafting him. It will be interesting to see how much Burns and Polite weigh at the combine. I've read speculations that Burns played in the 220s during the season and Polite was not much heavier(despite what their school pages say). It definitely will be interesting to see how they test for their weight... 

I think a combination of a guy like Ferrell and Preston Smith would be some solid gets for us.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

Crabbs big board - Thompson at 52

Ledyard big board - Thompson at 31

Solak big board - Thompson at 3!!!!

Jeremiah big board - Thompson not ranked in top 50

As you can see there is a wide variety of opinions on Thompson. You are definitely not alone and not crazy to like him this much. Just different opinion than mine. 

Consensus doesn't have him in the top 20, but I wonder how many of those boards are influenced by his injury??

Edit: All but one were done in the last two days. The one that has him at #3 (which is too high, IMO) was done in January. So I think maybe they're dropping him due to injury, but who knows how much. I'd have to go back to their earlier big boards, and I'm probably not gonna.

I also like Inman and would like to see him stay. Not spectacular but sure handed which was a breath of fresh air on this team.

Joseph is soo small. may make a great hybrid safety. Very fast and seems to be OK in coverage. Heck of a hitter.

Not as high on Thompson either but do like Ferrell. Overall good draft that fills a lot of hole.

Looks like you signed Hewitt and then let him go.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Honest question: How good do you guys think Inman is?

To me, he's an average depth player. He's 30 years old, he's been in the league since 2014 and has one season over 500 yards and 40 catches, and I don't see that he does anything well enough that we just have to have him.

The fact that he's said he wants to be a Colt is awesome, but the fact that he hasn't signed yet suggests that either he wants more than is on the table, or that nothing is on the table. I feel like he's moving on, and I'm not heartbroken about it. If he stays, great; my first draft had us keeping him on a one year deal, but as more time went by, I got the impression he's out the door.

I feel like Inman earned a 3yr deal at the going rate for #2 WRs... something in the 2-3m per season  range?

Along with giving Andrew a legit option in his own right.... I feel like the chemistry they developed in a pretty condensed amount of time was impressive. And all this against the backdrop of TY not being 100%.

Just seems like he’s got some solid intangibles.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

I also like Inman and would like to see him stay. Not spectacular but sure handed which was a breath of fresh air on this team.

Joseph is soo small. may make a great hybrid safety. Very fast and seems to be OK in coverage. Heck of a hitter.

Not as high on Thompson either but do like Ferrell. Overall good draft that fills a lot of hole.

Looks like you signed Hewitt and then let him go.

Good catch, I fixed it.

We'll see how Joseph measures. But Leonard says he played most of the season at 220ish pounds, so I'm not too worried about it. He doesn't play small. 

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

I feel like Inman earned a 3yr deal at the going rate for #2 WRs... something in the 2-3m per season  range?

Along with giving Andrew a legit option in his own right.... I feel like the chemistry they developed in a pretty condensed amount of time was impressive. And all this against the backdrop of TY not being 100%.

Just seems like he’s got some solid intangibles.

If I were Inman, I wouldn't take a three year deal at $3m per. I'd rather take a one year deal at $3m. I think he's looking for something north of $5m/year, and I think there's a good chance he'll get it.

On 2/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, Superman said:

The moment no one was waiting for...

Pre-combine, based on limited film viewing and research (although I've watched at least a little of every draft pick shown below). I plan to do another one after the combine, before free agency starts, but who knows if I'll have watched enough more film to do anything meaningful.

I'm adding some players in free agency to address some needs and upgrade some positions, and I'm letting some guys walk because I'm adding a different player that I like better. Geathers and Inman are gone; I'm re-signing Desir and I get the feeling some will think my contract projection for him isn't reasonable, but my mock can survive without him. Trying to get two-deep across the board. I think the thinnest spot winds up being OL.

Numbers from OTC and Spotrac:

Colts cap standing: 2019 projected cap of $189m (7% increase from 2018), rollover of $49m from 2018 = adjusted cap of ~$239m. As of now, including the Glowinski and AV contracts, the Colts have  $131.4m committed in 2019, cap space of $107.7m (committed $88m in 2020, projected cap of $200m). 

Releases: none

Colts free agents:

Glowinski, three years, $16.2m, cap hits $3.5m, $6.15m, $6.65m

Vinatieri, one year, $3.875m

Desir, two years, $9m, cap hits $4m, $5m

Hunt, one year, $3m

Webb, one year, $1.5m

Grissom, one year, $805k

Rhodes, ERFA tender, one year, $645k

Hewitt, one year, $805k

Moore, one year, $900k

Boehm, tender, $2.035m

Milton, one year, $900k

Farley, tender, $2.035m

Travis, one year, $900k

Rogers, tender, $2.035m

Martin, tender, $645k

Johnson, tender, $645k

Geathers -- FA

Inman -- FA

Grant -- FA

Woods -- FA

Mitchell -- FA

Wilcox -- FA

Slauson -- retired

> Added $20.2m to 2019 cap (approx $9.5m guaranteed), added $10m to 2020 cap (none guaranteed)

>> New cap position in 2019 -- $144m committed, remaining cap space of approx $95m

Free agent additions:

Adrian Phillips, four years, $27.5m, $10m guaranteed (none in year 2), cap hits of $6.25m, 6.25m, 7.25m, 7.75m; starting SS, plays well in the box, nickel pass coverage, can play man, good tackler/run support, instinctive, good range on the back end

Trey Flowers, five years, $87m ($17.4m/year), $50m guaranteed, $16.4m, 17.4m, 17.4m, 17.4m, 18.4m; edge rusher who lines up and plays effectively everywhere, gets a ton of QB pressures, only 26 next season so conceivably has more to show, just as good in run defense; paying a premium for a player I think is the best fit at a premium position

Steven Nelson, three years, $24m, $9m guaranteed, cap hits of  $7m, $8m, $9m; starting CB who can play man and zone, better in zone, feisty and competitive, good in run support, has enough quickness to play inside if necessary

Cameron Fleming, two years, $7m, $1m guaranteed, cap hits $3.5m each; swing tackle, competition, depth, upside

Adam Humphries, four years, $37m, 11.5m guaranteed,  cap hits of $8.5m, $9m, $9.5m, $10m; starting wide receiver, good YAC receiver, gets separation quickly, makes tacklers miss

Bryce Hager, one year, $1.2m; depth LB with range and quickness, decent tackler, special teamer

Draft pool, approx $8m in 2019

> Added $51.9m to 2019 cap, approx $49m to 2020 cap (approx $20m guaranteed, including draft pool)

>> New cap position in 2019 -- $196m committed (total), remaining cap space approx $48m

>>> Committed $146m in 2020, rolling approx $35-40m from 2019, estimated cap space $88m

Draft (conflicting info on the actual draft spots, especially past the third round, so I might be off by one here and there):

1/26 -- Deionte Thompson, Alabama, safety/dime defender, rangy, ball skills, aggressive tackler, capable in single high or in the box against TEs, allows for versatile usage of Hooker and other safeties, high ceiling prospect who probably slides out of the top 20 due to a recent, minor injury

2/34 -- Dre’Mont Jones, Ohio State, DT, three tech, versatility and athleticism to play multiple spots, mostly an interior rusher who needs work to become an every down player, but can have an immediate impact if used in the right packages

2/59 -- Riley Ridley, Georgia, WR, good ball catcher, strong route runner, good after catch, good size and enough speed to make, can be new possession receiver and scoring threat

3-90 -- Vosean Joseph, Florida, ILB, rangy, athletic, can hit, needs refinement in all areas but has the tools and shows ability to perform on tape, easy fit for our defense

4/129 -- Josh Oliver, San Jose State, TE, good route runner, athletic pass catcher, capable blocker, I feel like he would be a second rounder in another draft, but this draft is loaded with TEs and I view him as a steal with the potential to be a high level player in the NFL

4/135 -- Elijah Holyfield, Georgia, RB, prototypical prospect for every down back in the NFL, big, strong, has athleticism to get to the second level, finishes well, needs work as a receiver and blocker

5/165 -- Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State, edge, good production with 10 sacks as a junior, two serious injuries in the past but was solid in 2018, has good traits as a versatile defender with athleticism and length, needs technical work but has the tools to be a good DE

6/198 -- Derrick Baity, Kentucky, CB, long, decent athlete, plays the ball and makes plays in zone coverage

7/241 -- Garrett Brumfield, G, LSU, good movement and range as an interior blocker, feisty and eager to finish, refinement needed with hands and balance, but fits the new Colts OL mindset

Depth chart (draft picks in bold, FA additions in italicsinjury returns underlined)

QB -- Luck, Brissett, Walker

RB -- Mack, Hines, Wilkins, Holyfield

WR -- Hilton, Humphries, Rogers, Cain, Ridley, Fountain, Pascal

TE -- Doyle, Ebron, Oliver, Hewitt, Cox, Travis

LT -- AC, Fleming, Garcia

LG -- Nelson, Brumfield

C -- Kelly, Boehm, Andrews

RG -- Glowinski, Haeg

RT -- Smith, Webb, Clark

DT -- Autry, Hunt, Jones, Ridgeway, Stewart, Ward

DE -- Flowers, Sheard, Lewis, Turay, Muhammed, Brailford, Grissom

LB -- Leonard, Walker, Joseph, Franklin, Adams, Hager, S. Moore, Thomas

CB -- Desir, Nelson, Wilson, K. Moore, Collins, Baity, Milton, Hairston

S -- Hooker, Phillips, Thompson, Farley, Odum, Milligan

K -- Vinatieri

P -- Sanchez

LS -- Rhodes

Whatchu think??

GO COLTS!

Replace Ridley with Hakeem Butler please.

• Like 1

This is the quality and depth of article I would expect from someone with 33,000 posts.  That being said, it was still impressive.  The detail is masterful.  The draft picks for their respective positions is strategically well done as it relates to value vs. positional needs. 

I like the Cameron Fleming and Adam Humphries FA adds... and a very good ILB at the end of the 3rd.  Not reaching for an edge rusher after everyone else makes a run on them in the 1st is wise.  I do believe Dre'mont Jones will be there at #34.  Like it.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2019 at 5:49 PM, Superman said:

The moment no one was waiting for...

Pre-combine, based on limited film viewing and research (although I've watched at least a little of every draft pick shown below). I plan to do another one after the combine, before free agency starts, but who knows if I'll have watched enough more film to do anything meaningful.

I'm adding some players in free agency to address some needs and upgrade some positions, and I'm letting some guys walk because I'm adding a different player that I like better. Geathers and Inman are gone; I'm re-signing Desir and I get the feeling some will think my contract projection for him isn't reasonable, but my mock can survive without him. Trying to get two-deep across the board. I think the thinnest spot winds up being OL.

Numbers from OTC and Spotrac:

Colts cap standing: 2019 projected cap of $189m (7% increase from 2018), rollover of $49m from 2018 = adjusted cap of ~$239m. As of now, including the Glowinski and AV contracts, the Colts have  $131.4m committed in 2019, cap space of $107.7m (committed $88m in 2020, projected cap of $200m). 

Releases: none

Colts free agents:

Glowinski, three years, $16.2m, cap hits $3.5m, $6.15m, $6.65m

Vinatieri, one year, $3.875m

Desir, two years, $9m, cap hits $4m, $5m

Hunt, one year, $3m

Webb, one year, $1.5m

Grissom, one year, $805k

Rhodes, ERFA tender, one year, $645k

Hewitt, one year, $805k

Moore, one year, $900k

Boehm, tender, $2.035m

Milton, one year, $900k

Farley, tender, $2.035m

Travis, one year, $900k

Rogers, tender, $2.035m

Martin, tender, $645k

Johnson, tender, $645k

Geathers -- FA

Inman -- FA

Grant -- FA

Woods -- FA

Mitchell -- FA

Wilcox -- FA

Slauson -- retired

> Added $20.2m to 2019 cap (approx $9.5m guaranteed), added $10m to 2020 cap (none guaranteed)

>> New cap position in 2019 -- $144m committed, remaining cap space of approx $95m

Free agent additions:

Adrian Phillips, four years, $27.5m, $10m guaranteed (none in year 2), cap hits of $6.25m, 6.25m, 7.25m, 7.75m; starting SS, plays well in the box, nickel pass coverage, can play man, good tackler/run support, instinctive, good range on the back end

Trey Flowers, five years, $87m ($17.4m/year), $50m guaranteed, $16.4m, 17.4m, 17.4m, 17.4m, 18.4m; edge rusher who lines up and plays effectively everywhere, gets a ton of QB pressures, only 26 next season so conceivably has more to show, just as good in run defense; paying a premium for a player I think is the best fit at a premium position

Steven Nelson, three years, $24m, $9m guaranteed, cap hits of  $7m, $8m, $9m; starting CB who can play man and zone, better in zone, feisty and competitive, good in run support, has enough quickness to play inside if necessary

Cameron Fleming, two years, $7m, $1m guaranteed, cap hits $3.5m each; swing tackle, competition, depth, upside

Adam Humphries, four years, $37m, 11.5m guaranteed,  cap hits of $8.5m, $9m, $9.5m, $10m; starting wide receiver, good YAC receiver, gets separation quickly, makes tacklers miss

Bryce Hager, one year, $1.2m; depth LB with range and quickness, decent tackler, special teamer

Draft pool, approx $8m in 2019

> Added $51.9m to 2019 cap, approx $49m to 2020 cap (approx $20m guaranteed, including draft pool)

>> New cap position in 2019 -- $196m committed (total), remaining cap space approx $48m

>>> Committed $146m in 2020, rolling approx $35-40m from 2019, estimated cap space $88m

Draft (conflicting info on the actual draft spots, especially past the third round, so I might be off by one here and there):

1/26 -- Deionte Thompson, Alabama, safety/dime defender, rangy, ball skills, aggressive tackler, capable in single high or in the box against TEs, allows for versatile usage of Hooker and other safeties, high ceiling prospect who probably slides out of the top 20 due to a recent, minor injury

2/34 -- Dre’Mont Jones, Ohio State, DT, three tech, versatility and athleticism to play multiple spots, mostly an interior rusher who needs work to become an every down player, but can have an immediate impact if used in the right packages

2/59 -- Riley Ridley, Georgia, WR, good ball catcher, strong route runner, good after catch, good size and enough speed to make, can be new possession receiver and scoring threat

3-90 -- Vosean Joseph, Florida, ILB, rangy, athletic, can hit, needs refinement in all areas but has the tools and shows ability to perform on tape, easy fit for our defense

4/129 -- Josh Oliver, San Jose State, TE, good route runner, athletic pass catcher, capable blocker, I feel like he would be a second rounder in another draft, but this draft is loaded with TEs and I view him as a steal with the potential to be a high level player in the NFL

4/135 -- Elijah Holyfield, Georgia, RB, prototypical prospect for every down back in the NFL, big, strong, has athleticism to get to the second level, finishes well, needs work as a receiver and blocker

5/165 -- Jordan Brailford, Oklahoma State, edge, good production with 10 sacks as a junior, two serious injuries in the past but was solid in 2018, has good traits as a versatile defender with athleticism and length, needs technical work but has the tools to be a good DE

6/198 -- Derrick Baity, Kentucky, CB, long, decent athlete, plays the ball and makes plays in zone coverage

7/241 -- Garrett Brumfield, G, LSU, good movement and range as an interior blocker, feisty and eager to finish, refinement needed with hands and balance, but fits the new Colts OL mindset

Depth chart (draft picks in bold, FA additions in italicsinjury returns underlined)

QB -- Luck, Brissett, Walker

RB -- Mack, Hines, Wilkins, Holyfield

WR -- Hilton, Humphries, Rogers, Cain, Ridley, Fountain, Pascal

TE -- Doyle, Ebron, Oliver, Hewitt, Cox, Travis

LT -- AC, Fleming, Garcia

LG -- Nelson, Brumfield

C -- Kelly, Boehm, Andrews

RG -- Glowinski, Haeg

RT -- Smith, Webb, Clark

DT -- Autry, Hunt, Jones, Ridgeway, Stewart, Ward

DE -- Flowers, Sheard, Lewis, Turay, Muhammed, Brailford, Grissom

LB -- Leonard, Walker, Joseph, Franklin, Adams, Hager, S. Moore, Thomas

CB -- Desir, Nelson, Wilson, K. Moore, Collins, Baity, Milton, Hairston

S -- Hooker, Phillips, Thompson, Farley, Odum, Milligan

K -- Vinatieri

P -- Sanchez

LS -- Rhodes

Whatchu think??

GO COLTS!

I would absolutely be 100% okay with this.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

@Superman did you consider Jerry Tillery with your #34th pick? I prefer his upside more to Dre'Mont Jones but they are both very good players. I like what you have done with your mock, it's well done.

I think I projected Tillery off the board by then. I also like Jones movement and hand usage over Tillery's.

8 hours ago, stitches said:

@SupermanWhen talking about versatile DBs, what do you think about Chauncey Gardner-Johnson? 

I haven't watched him yet.

• Like 1

Nice. I actually really like the draft approach...going a different route and grabbing a top player at another position in the 1st and adding a couple of weapons for Luck. Ridley is probably in my top 3 at WR.

If mock drafts are any indication...targeting a non-DL position in the 1st round will possibly be the best course of action for the Colts...despite their needs on the DL.

As for Thompson, I like Rapp better than him. But it's probably a matter of preference at this point..and I have seen both ranked similarly...though I did see one of the more prominent guys with Rapp at #18 on his big board. So maybe Rapp won't even be an option if he tests well.

I think we would see at least one DT FA brought in. I wanted it to be McCoy...but looks like TB is not going to release him (not sure about trade). 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I think we would see at least one DT FA brought in. I wanted it to be McCoy...but looks like TB is not going to release him (not sure about trade). 

If Atlanta is stupid enough to let Grady Jarrett hit the market, I'd be all over that. Outside of him, I'm not excited about anyone else.

5 hours ago, Superman said:

Butler is an outrageous prospect, but not my kind of receiver. His change of direction is limited, and I wonder if he'll be able to get separation in the NFL. 

PFF just dropped their video on him. They are comparing him to Brandon Marshall. He is very likely going to be my WR1 or WR2 in this draft and the more I think about it the more I'm leaning toward him being WR1. I just cannot ignore the blend of size, physicality, speed, ability to make plays after the catch, catch outrageous balls in the air AND then in the same play truck over 3 defenders to take it home. 

• Like 2

@Boiler_Colt @stitches

Just watched Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Two things:

1) I love him. Hyper competitive and versatile, explosive athlete, feisty defender. Some inconsistencies in every phase, especially if you watch his 2017 tapes, but he's got the goods. 

2) Forget about getting him in a later round. He might not make it to #26. 

• Like 4

On 2/26/2019 at 7:03 AM, Superman said:

Honest question: How good do you guys think Inman is?

To me, he's an average depth player. He's 30 years old, he's been in the league since 2014 and has one season over 500 yards and 40 catches, and I don't see that he does anything well enough that we just have to have him

As usual I like a lot of what you have going on.  

I could go either way on Inman We have a lot of young guys at WR Pascal Cain Fountain Johnson even Rogers and then  Ishmael hung around on the PS last year.  We may bring him back but if we look at WR in the draft and FA. I'm not so sure we do but if we do he is going to have a hard time making the roster IMO. I'm not sure we want a 30 year old journeyman taking a spot at the bottom of the depth chart especially when we have the young guys CB btought in to develop. I dont think CB or the coaching staff will be as quickly to move on from the young players as the board is. 

I think we bring Geathers back. He may be used differently and I expect we add to the position. Listening to the way CB talked about him and his work ethic, approach and love of the game.  He seems like a guy CB really values in the locker room. If Geathers wants to be here rather then chase greener pastures and I believe he does as does Desir.  We find fair deals for both. 

On 2/25/2019 at 9:24 PM, Boiler_Colt said:

Admitedly I don't really care for Thompson, especially after also signing a safety to start. Phillips seems like an excellent value signing that Ballard would make. If drafting a safety as well, I'd much rather get Chauncey Gardener-Johnson later, who is more versatile IMO.

Humphries would fit perfectly. I have doubts that Ballard would splurge on Flowers. I think he'd go after a cheaper option like Preston Smith but Flowers would be a great addition.

Overall, nicely done. I'd bring back Inman for 1 year though. To me, he earned it.

Considering Ballard was willing to splurge on Andrew Norwell last season, I see no reason he wouldn't do same with Flowers.  Like Norwell, Flowers in a young FA in an area of great need.....seems like a no brainer.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, Superman said:

Good catch, I fixed it.

We'll see how Joseph measures. But Leonard says he played most of the season at 220ish pounds, so I'm not too worried about it. He doesn't play small. 

He says that, but he posted a picture of his scale on his instagram story during the playoffs that showed him around 210... Which was jaw dropping. 

As long as he continues staying healthy and playing fast, I don't care how much he weighs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Considering Ballard was willing to splurge on Andrew Norwell last season, I see no reason he wouldn't do same with Flowers.  Like Norwell, Flowers in a young FA in an area of great need.....seems like a no brainer.

Was he willing to "splurge" though? I'm not sure he was ever going to pay Norwell what he got from Jacksonville. 

I think Flowers is a different scenario, because he is a position of utmost importance and value, so he might be able to justify the cost a little more. (Especially knowing last year he would have a great opportunity to draft Nelson or a very good guard in the draft). He might not get that opportunity in the draft to get someone similar to Flowers this year... 

2 hours ago, akcolt said:

I think we bring Geathers back. He may be used differently and I expect we add to the position. Listening to the way CB talked about him and his work ethic, approach and love of the game.  He seems like a guy CB really values in the locker room. If Geathers wants to be here rather then chase greener pastures and I believe he does as does Desir.  We find fair deals for both. 

It sounds like Geathers is the priority for the Colts, over Inman and Desir who are going to be testing the market. I think they want to figure something out with Geathers within the next two weeks. 

And to be fair, I like Geathers, and I'm fine with keeping him. I just believe he's limited as a coverage safety, and I question whether he can stay healthy.

51 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Was he willing to "splurge" though? I'm not sure he was ever going to pay Norwell what he got from Jacksonville. 

They had to know what Norwell's market was, so the fact that they reportedly expressed interest in the first place kind of says it all. Same with Jensen.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

That's true, but Norwell was a bonafide all pro worthy of being paid as one of the best at the position. I view Flowers as really good, but not great. More the product of being the best of a bad FA crop. I just think he'll get paid like one of the best in the game which may be above Ballards threshold for him. We will see though. If he does sign I'll eat crow and be pretty happy about it.

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I think Flowers is a different scenario, because he is a position of utmost importance and value, so he might be able to justify the cost a little more. (Especially knowing last year he would have a great opportunity to draft Nelson or a very good guard in the draft). He might not get that opportunity in the draft to get someone similar to Flowers this year... 

Considering Ballard says his Mantra has become build the trenches, i am pretty sure he was very close to the $15M signing bonus and $30M guaranteed for a 26 year old All-Pro LG. That side of the line was certainly of utmost importance.
 It just made good sense that Norwell chose Jax. They were a contender, Luck was a Big ?, and the weather and no state tax. 

Flowers fits our D and needs like a glove. An excellent run stopper on the edge and can move inside as a rusher. To me that is also the same side (Sheard) of the line and job that Tyquan Lewis may be best suited for. 
 CB has plenty of good options.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

That's true, but Norwell was a bonafide all pro worthy of being paid as one of the best at the position. I view Flowers as really good, but not great. More the product of being the best of a bad FA crop. I just think he'll get paid like one of the best in the game which may be above Ballards threshold for him. We will see though. If he does sign I'll eat crow and be pretty happy about it.

Two things in response:

1) "Great" players basically don't hit free agency, especially edge defenders. So you're right, Flowers probably isn't great, but I think he can produce even more than he already has. He's only 26, and the arrow is pointing up.

2) Ballard might or might not value Flowers at a premium. I'm not necessarily predicting that he will, just giving my thinking about how the roster can be improved this offseason. I try to do so within the parameters that Ballard has set out, as I understand them -- so I don't mock crazy trades or signing discontented players, for instance, nor do I mock 2 gap DL early in the draft -- but I'm definitely not predicting that Ballard will back up a Brinks truck for Flowers.

@stitches

Reddit's mock yielded these results. No trades. What do you do at #26?

Cardinals - Nick Bosa

49ers - Josh Allen

Jets - Quinnen Williams

Raiders - Clelin Ferrell

Buccaneers - Devin White

Giants - Dwayne Haskins

Jaguars - Kyler Murray

Lions - Ed Oliver

Bills - Jawaan Taylor

Broncos - Byron Murphy

Bengals - Jonah Williams

Packers - Brian Burns

Dolphins - Rashan Gary

Falcons - Montez Sweat

Redskins - Greedy Williams

Panthers - Christian Wilkins

Browns - TJ Hockenson

Vikings - Cody Ford

Titans - Jachai Polite

Steelers - Mack Wilson

Seahawks - N'Keal Harry

Ravens - Josh Jacobs

Texans - Deandre Baker

Raiders - DK Metcalf

Eagles - Dexter Lawrence

1 minute ago, Superman said:

@stitches

Reddit's mock yielded these results. No trades. What do you do at #26?

Cardinals - Nick Bosa

49ers - Josh Allen

Jets - Quinnen Williams

Raiders - Clelin Ferrell

Buccaneers - Devin White

Giants - Dwayne Haskins

Jaguars - Kyler Murray

Lions - Ed Oliver

Bills - Jawaan Taylor

Broncos - Byron Murphy

Bengals - Jonah Williams

Packers - Brian Burns

Dolphins - Rashan Gary

Falcons - Montez Sweat

Redskins - Greedy Williams

Panthers - Christian Wilkins

Browns - TJ Hockenson

Vikings - Cody Ford

Titans - Jachai Polite

Steelers - Mack Wilson

Seahawks - N'Keal Harry

Ravens - Josh Jacobs

Texans - Deandre Baker

Raiders - DK Metcalf

Eagles - Dexter Lawrence

Jeffery Simmons if you trust him off-the-field. Jerry Tillery if you don't. 

14 hours ago, Superman said:

@Boiler_Colt @stitches

Just watched Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Two things:

1) I love him. Hyper competitive and versatile, explosive athlete, feisty defender. Some inconsistencies in every phase, especially if you watch his 2017 tapes, but he's got the goods. 

2) Forget about getting him in a later round. He might not make it to #26. 

I watched his tape a few days ago........  The guy is a player

Where he goes will be highly dependent on how he tests

If he is truly 205 lbs AND can run a 4.5 flat or better...... I would be standing and cheering if we took him (The question is where)

He seems to be a PERFECT fit for this defense

29 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I watched his tape a few days ago........  The guy is a player

Where he goes will be highly dependent on how he tests

If he is truly 205 lbs AND can run a 4.5 flat or better...... I would be standing and cheering if we took him (The question is where)

He seems to be a PERFECT fit for this defense

Wouldn't surprise me if he runs really well, but I think he'll probably shine in the agility tests.