Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Says No To Kc & Seattle Meetings, Titans Owner Wants Him Badly

bayone

Moderator please transfer to NFL general if appropriate

The newspaper also reported that Manning declined visits to the

Kansas City Chiefs and Seattle Seahawks. The Post even mentioned a "mystery" suitor, calling the San Francisco 49ers andTennessee Titans possibilities.

The

49ers are in negotiations with incumbent quarterback Alex Smith and Titans owner Bud Adamswent public Sunday with his strong desire to land Manning.

Titans owner Adams has contacted Peyton Manning's agent

"I hope to be one of the teams he looks at," Adams told the newspaper. "Since he went to school in Tennessee I think Tennessee is where he should be. I think he could play for two or three years. I think he's the guy that could come in and turn this around for us.

"That's why I am so anxious to get him to come visit with us and I want him on my team. I could sit down with him and show him what (we'd be willing to pay). If he would come (meet) with me he would be happy with what he'd get."

Adams even said he wants Manning to take a position in the front office when he retires from playing.

"I want him to be with me the rest of his working period of his life," Adams said, "even when he doesn't want to play anymore."

http://www.nfl.com/n...-mannings-agent

I read Adam's entire comments yesterday - he sounds like what he is - an 89 year old wealthy guy who wants to win now, and is used to getting what he wants. The entire thing was a bit surreal, and in light of his recent history with Jeff Fisher/Vince Young, I can't imagine why Peyton would want to subject himself to him. He also said something about Peyton not being sure that Adam's front office people were as enthusiastic as he is, but it didn't matter because they were going to do what he told them. Any boss who feels the need to public demonstrate just how "important" he is only inspires empathy for his employees from me. Perhaps there's video of him waving his arms and stamping his feet too. Geez.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120312/SPORTS01/303120021/Titans-owner-wants-Peyton-Manning?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

I read Adam's entire comments yesterday - he sounds like what he is - an 89 year old wealthy guy who wants to win now, and is used to getting what he wants. The entire thing was a bit surreal, and in light of his recent history with Jeff Fisher/Vince Young, I can't imagine why Peyton would want to subject himself to him. He also said something about Peyton not being sure that Adam's front office people were as enthusiastic as he is, but it didn't matter because they were going to do what he told them. Any boss who feels the need to public demonstrate just how "important" he is only inspires empathy for his employees from me. Perhaps there's video of him waving his arms and stamping his feet too. Geez.

http://www.tennessea...|text|FRONTPAGE

U r totaly correct from the 2nd article in my post

Just last month, new general manager Ruston Webster said the Titans

were happy with their quarterbacks -- Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker -- when asked about his interest in Manning.

But his boss seems to think otherwise.

"He is the man I want. Period," Adams told the newspaper. "And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen."

I said months ago when it was speculated that the Jets would be the landing spot for him and then progressed to Miami and Washigton. I said it made sense for both parties to be a Titan given his ties to the Tennessee area and PM knows his critics will be far less in Tn even if he isn't wuite what he was in Indy. 2 places PM owns and that is Indy and Tennessee and the owner has the cash to pay him. I just see that place as a destination. f course Tennessee does not have the horses that Denver and a few other places have but they are not on the bottom either. We should know this week what happens I suppose.

i dont get why he is dishing out the Chiefs... they are a better team than the broncos IMO.

Not sure either but I thought that too was a match for Manning but PM has a vision of what he wants to go into and I guess that is not it. At this point,it appears that Denver is the spot he covets the most and I can't blame him as he will have Elway to bounce ideas off of and he will understand how he is thinking and feeling.

U r totaly correct from the 2nd article in my post

Just last month, new general manager Ruston Webster said the Titans

were happy with their quarterbacks -- Matt Hasselbeck and Jake Locker -- when asked about his interest in Manning.

But his boss seems to think otherwise.

"He is the man I want. Period," Adams told the newspaper. "And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn't happen."

Yeah, I did a quick skim through to try and make sure that I wasn't being redundant, but you've got like 823 articles linked there. :D The guy is just a bully.

By the way, we "all know" (or thought we knew) how much Fisher wanted to work with Manning, which would make it pretty ironic if Peyton went there so soon after

Fishers SIXTEEN YEAR run with the team ended. "You've got to be _____ kidding me".

I don't think there is an amount of money out there that would get Peyton to play in the AFC South. If you listened closely to his release press conference, Irsay said that leading up to the decision...Peyton had put forth ideas about what to do that would benefit the team...and that Irsay instead counselled him in a different direction (wanting to look out for Peyton's best interest).

We did not get anymore details than that but it is apparent IMHO that Peyton was willing to look out for the Colts more than himself. Based on that and 14 years of everything we already know, I don't see Manning wanting to come and compete against us twice a year.

i dont get why he is dishing out the Chiefs... they are a better team than the broncos IMO.

Jamal charles adds a nice running attack for play action fakes, if he could sell an injured addai & when Brown was really bad just imagine with charles & they have Dwayne Bowe

Seattle and KC are two teams that Peyton really should have considered...

I was surprised by this

Not sure either but I thought that too was a match for Manning but PM has a vision of what he wants to go into and I guess that is not it. At this point,it appears that Denver is the spot he covets the most and I can't blame him as he will have Elway to bounce ideas off of and he will understand how he is thinking and feeling.

Denver has huge cap space, maybe willing to brin in Wayne & crew & other free agents

Seattle and KC are two teams that Peyton really should have considered...

Superficially you'd have to think that weather conditions would have been a factor in both, but the two teams that Peyton has visited with both have excellent front office people that Peyton is familiar with and respects, and that appear to be willing to accommodate him on offense. He has to move fast, and he knows what those people can do. Seattle leads with a "rah rah" college coach best known for running out of town just before his school was nailed for recruiting violations, and KC is known for a GM who has spent months in the news for actions which strongly suggest that he is mentally ill. Peyton has the luxury of ignoring both, and focusing on places which offer the best environment in which he might be able to succeed. Similarly Miami would seem to me to be on the outside because of the rookie coach, and the OC who was JUST brought in to install a completely different kind of offense. They may not want Peyton, but their obnoxious "star struck" boss is pushing. That hardly sounds like a favorable environment either.

Honestly (I could totally be wrong) but I believe Denver & Arizona (and anyone else) are nothing more than bargaining chips to leverage Miami's front office into giving Peyton everything that he wants. His first stop was Miami...and the owner blew him off (maybe not his intent but this is the greatest FA in NFL history and you were too busy? Ok). So, Condon makes a few calls, Peyton gets on a plane...starts visiting some other teams...the city of Miami collectively flips it's lid and presto ipso, Manning is right back in the cat bird's seat. JMO

Jamal charles adds a nice running attack for play action fakes, if he could sell an injured addai & when Brown was really bad just imagine with charles & they have Dwayne Bowe

I was surprised by this

Denver has huge cap space, maybe willing to brin in Wayne & crew & other free agents

denver may have the cap space, but KC is overall better. They both have good OL but i'd give the edge to the chiefs, WR are similar but again just for depth I'd give it to the chiefs (baldwin, bowe, breaston vs demayrious thomas, erick decker, ???)...RB is a no brainer, hands down Jamaal Charles. Defense, with the CB the cheifs have, Hali, glen dorsey, eric berry pfft... the broncos may have dummervill and von miller, but their secondary is old, champ bailey and brian dawkins are like 40 each.

overall, better talent and youth at the chiefs, besides I'm pretty sure the chiefs have good cap space, otherwise they wouldnt be hoping for 18

Superficially you'd have to think that weather conditions would have been a factor in both, but the two teams that Peyton has visited with both have excellent front office people that Peyton is familiar with and respects, and that appear to be willing to accommodate him on offense. He has to move fast, and he knows what those people can do. Seattle leads with a "rah rah" college coach best known for running out of town just before his school was nailed for recruiting violations, and KC is known for a GM who has spent months in the news for actions which strongly suggest that he is mentally ill. Peyton has the luxury of ignoring both, and focusing on places which offer the best environment in which he might be able to succeed. Similarly Miami would seem to me to be on the outside because of the rookie coach, and the OC who was JUST brought in to install a completely different kind of offense. They may not want Peyton, but their obnoxious "star struck" boss is pushing. That hardly sounds like a favorable environment either.

\

Re seattle & KC

Miami is his 2nd home & wayne would like to go with him there,,Truly many a variable

denver may have the cap space, but KC is overall better. They both have good OL but i'd give the edge to the chiefs, WR are similar but again just for depth I'd give it to the chiefs (baldwin, bowe, breaston vs demayrious thomas, erick decker, ???)...RB is a no brainer, hands down Jamaal Charles. Defense, with the CB the cheifs have, Hali, glen dorsey, eric berry pfft... the broncos may have dummervill and von miller, but their secondary is old, champ bailey and brian dawkins are like 40 each.

overall, better talent and youth at the chiefs, besides I'm pretty sure the chiefs have good cap space, otherwise they wouldnt be hoping for 18

cant argue with eirher of above posts all valid points

Anyway I must leave , have a great day back in PM hopefully

Honestly (I could totally be wrong) but I believe Denver & Arizona (and anyone else) are nothing more than bargaining chips to leverage Miami's front office into giving Peyton everything that he wants. His first stop was Miami...and the owner blew him off (maybe not his intent but this is the greatest FA in NFL history and you were too busy? Ok). So, Condon makes a few calls, Peyton gets on a plane...starts visiting some other teams...the city of Miami collectively flips it's lid and presto ipso, Manning is right back in the cat bird's seat. JMO

sources have said that manning doesnt even want to discuss teh contract stuff..just how he fits.

i dont really think this is about checkbooks.

His first stop was Miami...and the owner blew him off (maybe not his intent but this is the greatest FA in NFL history and you were too busy?

Do you have a link? My impression was that Ross was peeing on himself in eagerness to kiss Peyton's ring - amongst other things. He is one of those owners who is more interested in aligning himself with "big names" than with with putting the best product on the field. I suspect that his presence is a negative, and the size of his pocketbook is irrelevant. Peyton is going to make a lot of money wherever he goes - but that's far from his primary concern. He wants to win more Super Bowls before he retires. He is putting his body at risk because of his competitive nature, not because he's greedy. Money is the one thing that he already has.

If Denver is able to add Wayne, Clarke, and Saturday that offense will be scary. Their Oline weakness is interior, more note ably center. Saturday is the fix, as Wayne and Clarke are the improving targets to be vertical. They have 45 million cap space, so say they get the 4 and their rookies for a 35 million cap hit, they can still get two-three impact FA's alla Grant from San Fran to play MLB or Tulloch/Lofton. A veteran Safety who Elway says they will pursue alla Landry. And a NT like Rogers, Franklin, Soliai. This team will be dangerous.

Momentarily confusing. I'm in PM mode all day these days. :)

I have more important priorities but have to agree with u

PM always in back of mind

It sounds like Peyton was turned off by the media frenzy in Miami. Chased by helicopters, celebrities making videos asking him to come, billboards, etc... None of that is Peyton's style. He wants to sit and talk football for 6 hours.

Miami media circus may make Manning wary of Dolphins

Citing people who know Manning, Schefter reported that the helicopter chases were jarring. Florio referred to it as a “South Florida frenzy.” Manning isn’t a “big city”

http://bleacherrepor...tm_campaign=nfl

“does not want to make this into a Reggie White tour,” and is already familiar with the Dolphins’ facility because the Colts used it during their two Super Bowl appearances in Miami.

http://bleacherrepor...tm_campaign=nfl

Tim Tebow gone in Denver if Peyton Manning signs with Broncos

Trade preferred over outright release

Manning initially was expected to announce his decision when free agency opens Tuesday,

but ESPN reported late Sunday that will not happen by then.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-03-11/peyton-manning-tim-tebow-denver-broncos-arizona-cardinals?eadid=EL/SICOM&sct=nfl_t2_a8#ixzz1ovDarBWW

Peyton will have private meeting with coach philbin at undisclosed location

It might not be the way the Miami Dolphins' fan base envisioned this meeting taking place, but their team is at least on the verge of getting its chance to convince free-agent quarterbackPeyton Manning that he's best suited to finish his career in South Florida.

Manning and Dolphins coach Joe Philbin will meet at an undisclosed location in the coming days -- perhaps even as early as Monday evening or Tuesday -- during which they will hold a very football-centric meeting, a team source said Monday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8278b5d0/article/dolphins-land-meeting-with-manning-but-it-could-be-limited?module=HP11_breaking_news

It's sounding like Manning isn't fond of the media circus surrounding this and he knows Miami would be the worst. Smart to meet privately.

& as article says without ross & ireland , this way he gets to feel out Philbin and how offense will work

It isn't known whether the team wanted to have the meeting take place with owner Stephen Ross and general manager Jeff Ireland in attendance, but this might not be such a bad situation.

Ross and Ireland don't have the best track records when it comes to wooing potential coaches or free agents. Ireland's strong suit as a general manager has been his scouting ability and salary cap management.