Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Derrick Henry

Seeing that Indy's O-line will be a force for the forseeable future, would you entertain the idea of a guy like Derrick Henry in the backfield to break the will of opposing defenses?  

Henry was drafted in the 2nd round (#45) of the 2016 draft and enters 2019 in the 4th/last year of his rookie deal (5.4 mil/4 yrs).  After being ho-hum with the occasional flash, he seemingly broke out in the 2nd half of 2018.  

While Dion Lewis was an afterthought last year, the Titans may be considering moving on from Marcus Mariota and would need to put together some draft capital to move up for a new play caller.  

Would you consider Henry, certainly not a pass-catcher out of the backfield, a good addition for our team and what type of deal/pick would you consider giving up to make it happen?

There’s plenty of backs like Derrick Henry available. Ajayi, Ingram, Hyde, Jeremy Hill. Bruising runners who are one dimensional and not dynamic out of the backfield tend to telegraph play calling. We are better off developing a 3 down back imo. 

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We have good mixture of young backs. We don’t need to pick any up in free agency. I don’t understand this md reality of wanting to go get more running backs. We have 3 pretty good ones that compliment each other very well.

We will see if CB & Frank think we need a power back. I bet yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

No thanks. He’s a 3 game wonder. His breakout performance was against a Jacksonville team that quit before the game even started.

I say 1,059 Yds, 12 TDs and a 4.9 average is more than a 3 game wonder.

Personally I would like to have Henry on our roster. I highly doubt that the Titans would trade him in division.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We have good mixture of young backs. We don’t need to pick any up in free agency. I don’t understand this md reality of wanting to go get more running backs. We have 3 pretty good ones that compliment each other very well.

The thinking is this.

Running backs get hurt.     Our backs do indeed compliment each other well, you're right on that count.    But if Mack goes down,  who replaces him?      Not Hines.     Maybe Wilkins can?    But that's a big maybe for a key position in the offense.

If Hines goes down we have no one who can do what he can.    No one.

So, is there someone who can provide better depth?     Maybe a free agent?    Maybe a draft pick?

But given the injuries that this group will take,   depth is always a good thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Personally I would like to have Henry on our roster. I highly doubt that the Titans would trade him in division.

2 games made up roughly 40% of his yardage and half of his total TD's. The other 14 games made up the other 60% of his yardage and the other half of his TD's. I know you can't take games away, but @Defjamz26 is correct that the majority of his season was very average.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

2 games made up roughly 40% of his yardage and half of his total TD's. The other 14 games made up the other 60% of his yardage and the other half of his TD's. I know you can't take games away, but @Defjamz26 is correct that the majority of his season was very average.

I dont think Henry is a fluke at all. That game we played against them hed have gone for 100 yards with a couple more carries. I think Henry is legit. I think we need a back like Henry. Doesnt have to be Henry, and most likely wont be Henry.  We need a guy in our committee that can pound like he does along with decent speed to go along with Mack.

• Thanks 1

We have  plenty of depth. When Hines was asked to run the ball last season he did very well. We were first in third down plays. Are backs are getting it done. If you bring another back in someone has to be cut. We already have 3 on the active roster and I believe a forth either on the roster or he may be on the practice squad.  

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

You have to keep in mind that Dion Lewis was used with Henry as a RRBC.

Lewis had 155 carries for 517 yds and caught 59 passes for 400 yds.

Henry has 1 fumble in his career. That's right, one.

21 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The Colts definitely need another back. A big, punishing one. Just not Henry. Look to the draft. 

21 minutes ago, Hoose said:

The Colts definitely need another back. A big, punishing one. Just not Henry. Look to the draft. 

We were number one in  third down conversions. Where does this idea even come from. I am all for drafting one in the late rounds just to keep the guys we have now honest. But no we don’t need one in free agency.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You have to keep in mind that Dion Lewis was used with Henry as a RRBC.

Lewis had 155 carries for 517 yds and caught 59 passes for 400 yds.

Henry has 1 fumble in his career. That's right, one.

That was because Henry wasn’t producing early on in the season. They gave more snaps to Lewis

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Look at the game logs. Only had 2 games where he went over a hundred yards. He averaged about 50 yards a game. 50 X 16= 800 yards. If you add that in one game he rushed for 238 and 170 in another,  that means 400 of his yards came in 2 games. And those 12 TDs? Half came in those same two game. The YPC? He had a 14 YPC in one game and a 5.0 in the next. Literally all of his stats are inflated from those 2 games. And he played a sorry Jags and Giants team in each. Marlon Mack was a much more efficient back in even less games.

4 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Also he had 33, that’s right 33 carries against the Giants and only managed 170 yards. That’s awful when you really put it into perspective. There are backs who are doing that off 15-20 carries.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also he had 33, that’s right 33 carries against the Giants and only managed 170 yards. That’s awful when you really put it into perspective. There are backs who are doing that off 15-20 carries.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

That was because Henry wasn’t producing early on in the season. They gave more snaps to Lewis

Look at the game logs. Only had 2 games where he went over a hundred yards. He averaged about 50 yards a game. 50 X 16= 800 yards. If you add that in one game he rushed for 238 and 170 in another,  that means 400 of his yards came in 2 games. And those 12 TDs? Half came in those same two game. The YPC? He had a 14 YPC in one game and a 5.0 in the next. Literally all of his stats are inflated from those 2 games. And he played a sorry Jags and Giants team in each. Marlon Mack was a much more efficient back in even less games.

With the O-line the Colts have I have no doubt he would have great numbers.

I have watched him play from his rookie season and IMO he does have the talent to be a great back.

We are just gong to have to disagree.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Since you have me on "ignore" I don't know if you'll ever see this post.    I'm sorry to say that if you do see it,  you won't like it.    Because once again, it falls to me to explain why you've made another silly post.

The worst part is....   you had the argument won.    When you explained that 400 of his nearly 1,000 yards came in just two games --- you won the argument!   Hello?!   You won right there.  That's a good strong argument.    You should've quit while you were ahead.

But as you like to do,  you want to make sure the losing side doesn't have a counter,  so you go a bridge or two too far and fumble the argument all to pieces.

You write that 33 carries and "ONLY MANAGED" 170 yards.   And then you add that that is "REALLY AWFUL WHEN YOU PUT IT INTO PERSPECTIVE."   And further add "THERE ARE BACKS DOING THAT OFF 15-20 carries."       Three sentences and sorry,  but it's false, false and false.

33 carries and 170 yards is 5.2 yards per carry.   Awful?   Dear God, no!  The ONLY argument that that isn't as good a perfomance as it might seem to most is if Henry had an 80+ yard carry that skewed the total stats.   Then you could've noted that he had 32 carries for less than 100 yards,  roughly 3 yards a carry.   THAT was only argument you could've made.      Because otherwise,  170 yards on 33 carries is really good.     I don't know how you came up with "awful".     Making it even worse for you is that Henry's longest run in the 170 yard game is just 22 yards.    Which means Henry was making good yards on most of his carries.   That's a pounding, punishing game for any running back.   I'm sure the defense was not thrilled with their effort.

Ironically,  Henry's previous game was 238 yards on 17 carries.   And THAT game had a 99 yard run.   But when you subtract those yards,  he still had 139 yards on 16 carries.    That's nearly 9 yads a carry.   So that game was still a great effort by him.

By the way,  feel free to count up the number of games by ANY running back where they ran for 170 yards on 15-20 carries.    I'm sure you'll come up with some.   No doubt.   But that's not the norm.   170 yards typically comes on more than 20 carries.    Find those efforts.   See if the facts can back up your claim.    I'm confident they won't.    See how many carries it took backs --- all backs --- to get 170 yards.   How many with less than 20 carries.    And how many with more than that.   I think you'll be surprised.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

we were 20th in rushing.  mack is ok, but hasnt stayed healthy and like henry his stats were greatly propped up by a few big games

i think our fans over rate mack somewhat, pff ranked him 36th 

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we were 20th in rushing.  mack is ok, but hasnt stayed healthy and like henry his stats were greatly propped up by a few big games

i think our fans over rate mack somewhat, pff ranked him 36th 

That was because he missed four games. He would of been right up there with Zeke and Barkley competing for the rushing title.

Look at the Houston playoff game in garbage . Our last drive Mack had almost fourty  yards just running out the clock. I saw a stat in a video yesterday we were too divr in rushing for 3rd down. No we do not need another back. Especially in FA.

PFF Is ridiculous. They also ranked Ebron the third best TE in the AFC and had Doyle ahead of him. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why. We lead the league in 3rd down conversion I believe. We also were in the top five rushing on third down. Mack got like 40 yards in the Houston playoff game to run out the clock. 

Goal line situations. Turbin was money in those areas. 

Not saying Mack wasn't decent, but Turbin was great. 

23 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Why. We lead the league in 3rd down conversion I believe. We also were in the top five rushing on third down. Mack got like 40 yards in the Houston playoff game to run out the clock. 

That's not the full picture. A big running back who can grind in the 4th quarter is an asset. That guy isn't on the Colts' team right now. Mack is darn good but he isn't a goal line and late game "pounder"; he needs a better posse. Hines obviously isn't that guy; the rest of the group is just so-so. Get a guy in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft who can get the short yards; block, and catch the ball, and you've got an upgrade for the Colts' running game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

That's not the full picture. A big running back who can grind in the 4th quarter is an asset. That guy isn't on the Colts' team right now. Mack is darn good but he isn't a goal line and late game "pounder"; he needs a better posse. Hines obviously isn't that guy; the rest of the group is just so-so. Get a guy in the 3rd or 4th round of the draft who can get the short yards; block, and catch the ball, and you've got an upgrade for the Colts' running game. 

1 hour ago, Hoose said:

Mack is a pretty good blocker and did a pretty good job running out the fourth quarter in the Texans playoff game. Last time checked he is pretty good at the goal line also.

22 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The thinking is this.

Running backs get hurt.     Our backs do indeed compliment each other well, you're right on that count.    But if Mack goes down,  who replaces him?      Not Hines.     Maybe Wilkins can?    But that's a big maybe for a key position in the offense.

If Hines goes down we have no one who can do what he can.    No one.

So, is there someone who can provide better depth?     Maybe a free agent?    Maybe a draft pick?

But given the injuries that this group will take,   depth is always a good thing.

You have seen plenty of Pac-12 games. Myles Gaskin, if not for his size, his production would have kept him in Day 2 of the draft. There is a good chance he is there on Day 3 of the draft. Would you spend a 4th rounder for him? I would have to think "yes"???

He is the kind of guy who can also play the Hines role in an instant, IMO. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Mack is a pretty good blocker and did a pretty good job running out the fourth quarter in the Texans playoff game. Last time checked he is pretty good at the goal line also.

Agreed. Marlon Mack body type is more LeSean McCoy than anything else. There is a good chance he has a productive career as well.

• Like 1

I think Reich will want a bigger power back.  I would love for it to be Henry because I'm a fan and I think he finally "got it" mid season last year.  By it, I mean how to be a running back in the NFL.  But it won't be Henry.

But if you look at what Reich did in Philly they had 3 types of back with Ajayi, Clement and Blount.  each had some different skills and each sometimes got the bulk of the carries in the game.  Sometimes you need a more elusive back like Mack but sometimes you need a back that can lower his shoulder and grind out 3 or 4 yards and sometimes you need a back that is more of  a receiving threat.  The Colts have Mack and Hines but Wilkins is not the guy that is going to grind out tough yardage. 

Unfortunately, there are not many players in the draft this year that fit that bill.  Ozigbo from Nebraska is probably the best of the big backs and he will probably be available in round 4 or 5, maybe even later.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yes Mack is pretty good at the goal line but he is not a thumper. He depends on the great blocking by Nelson. We could also use a pounder who don't fumble. A Henry type player.

• Thanks 1

I guess some of my thinking was that if Henry really does play on a high level going forward, there's the chance we could get him at a fair price if Tenn tries to raise draft capital for a new QB.

I forgot that being in the same division, it IS unlikely they would make that trade and have to see him 2 or more times a season.  

I still think it's an idea worth kicking the tires on.  Yes, we could spend a mid-round pick on one who COULD turn out as good or better.  But if we could get a player who fits the mold and save one pick to address other positions then all the better.  Appreciate everyone's feedback on the matter.