Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

OBJ

SouthernIndianaNDFan

9 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

It's not what most people here WANT..... it's what most people here EXPECT....  They are conditioned by years of this type of Team running.... Decades of The Colts doing this between Polian, and now Ballard.... and The Pacers have been doing the same thing since they joined the NBA....  so it's pretty ingrained in the natural fanbase of Indiana.....  I think most would love to have teams stocked with premier talent...  they just have never seen teams consistently utilize that approach, so why get your hope up for adding a star every year?  

It also has a lot to do with the people who settled Indiana

4 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Considering how underwhelming he's been in Miami, I don't think he'll be to costly. However, we've all seen teams give out excessive money to underwhelming players before, so it wouldn't surprise me if some team throws money at him. I think a Grant-type deal would get him here, especially with having Luck and hopefully continuing to be an ascending team. 

Often the hope with underperforming players is that a change in scenery will change their attitude    

Good example: Eric Ebron

Bad example:  DHB

4 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Considering how underwhelming he's been in Miami, I don't think he'll be to costly. However, we've all seen teams give out excessive money to underwhelming players before, so it wouldn't surprise me if some team throws money at him. I think a Grant-type deal would get him here, especially with having Luck and hopefully continuing to be an ascending team. 

I would generally agree, but Moncrief got one year, $9.6m last offseason. In the two years prior to his free agency, he had 56 catches, 698 yards, total. (Also nine TDs, to be fair.) In the last two seasons, Parker has 71 catches, 979 yards, total (two TDs). So I have no idea what's gonna happen with Parker. I'd take him on a Grant-type contract, I think. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I think if Ballard is interested he would offer a fair contract with some incentives. Let him earn either more money or a new contract.

Personally I think a change in scenery may work out but if not there is nothing wrong with kicking the tires. Just because he signs a contract before the season does not mean he cant be released if it don't work out.

16 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

It's not what most people here WANT..... it's what most people here EXPECT....  They are conditioned by years of this type of Team running.... Decades of The Colts doing this between Polian, and now Ballard.... and The Pacers have been doing the same thing since they joined the NBA....  so it's pretty ingrained in the natural fanbase of Indiana.....  I think most would love to have teams stocked with premier talent...  they just have never seen teams consistently utilize that approach, so why get your hope up for adding a star every year?  

the colts have actually done pretty well at getting stars in the draft, their free agency approach really hasnt bothered me for the most part.  we just have a lot of money now, and a good young core.  this  could be the best chance we get to make a big move while we have andrew luck

as for the pacers, its hard to really do that justice in a few sentences here.  they actually did try to land Durant for example, but its pretty obvious why he didnt consider us.

10 hours ago, stitches said:

If you could have OBJ for a 2 1sts or Brown for 1 1st, which one would you choose? (additional info - Brown has said that he wants new contract from whatever team he's traded to... so you will have to give him at least what OBJ is getting I presume)

OBJ easily just due to his youth.. I also think he's the better receiver right now as well. 

On 2/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, krunk said:

I'm okay with a big name or two if it's a good fit across the board for us.  I'm not into the big names if the fit is not there and the finance is overblown in relation to what the guy actually produces.  Spending money just to be spending it I ain't okay with.

Tell my wife this all the time lol, thats why I hide cash around the house. We will need to resign a lot of our core players in the next few years, along with upgrading several positions. CB knows this. We are ahead of schedule but Jacksonville has shown what salary cap hell looks like with big spending FA signing when you think you are ready for a SB run. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

Tell my wife this all the time lol, thats why I hide cash around the house. We will need to resign a lot of our core players in the next few years, along with upgrading several positions. CB knows this. We are ahead of schedule but Jacksonville has shown what salary cap hell looks like with big spending FA signing when you think you are ready for a SB run. 

That's right.  Just get a couple of playmakers or difference makers.  No need to go overboard.

On 2/21/2019 at 9:16 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The OBJ trade rumors are circulating once again lol, now all we've gotta do is go get him. I'm of the belief that he's the most talented WR in the NFL, and with Luck throwing him the ball, and TY and Ebron drawing coverage, I think he would lead the league in many statistical categories. Wonder what it would take to get it done?

You would be well served to find the recordings and interviews that Ballard has done to understand what he values.  In no particular order - draft picks, the locker room and paying his own.  Once that is understood, it is easy to see why this fantasy ain't happening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

You would be well served to find the recordings and interviews that Ballard has done to understand what he values.  In no particular order - draft picks, the locker room and paying his own.  Once that is understood, it is easy to see why this fantasy ain't happening.

I watch all of that stuff, and this post isn't designed as an outlet for what I think Chris Ballard is going to do (logically), but moreso what I think they should do, and the various reasonings to support that ideology. 

On 2/21/2019 at 10:04 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

It's funny how everyone wants another WR...and when the opportunity presents itself to have arguably the best one playing (in his prime), everyone's like nah...too expensive. You get what you pay for, if you wanna pay Inman prices, and continue to get Kansas City playoff results, that's cool. I'd rather be a legit SB contender while we actually have the opportunity and a bunch of playmakers on rookie deals. They could sign Lev, AB, and OBJ and still have over 60 mil in cap room...don't know why everyone is so scared to spend the cap $, that's kinda why it's there.

Maybe because we’ve seen OBJ in the playoffs...he spent the week partying on a boat and looked hung over and was a no show in the playoffs...so yeah I’d rather have Inman who at least gives us everything he has instead of playing a diva. If he wants a trade what makes you think he will be happy here and not ask for a trade? He’s a malcontent...I’d rather not have him on my team...guys like him don’t win Super Bowls. Leaders are like Tom Brady...who sacrifice for the team and put in the work...not complain all the time.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe because we’ve seen OBJ in the playoffs...he spent the week partying on a boat and looked hung over and was a no show in the playoffs...so yeah I’d rather have Inman who at least gives us everything he has instead of playing a diva. If he wants a trade what makes you think he will be happy here and not ask for a trade? He’s a malcontent...I’d rather not have him on my team...guys like him don’t win Super Bowls. Leaders are like Tom Brady...who sacrifice for the team and put in the work...not complain all the time.

It wasn’t just him though. That situation never would of happened with a coach who is a leader or other veterans to really show them the way. 

No I don’t think the colts will go after a trade for him. But I think a team that has good leadership that situation never happens.

49 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I watch all of that stuff, and this post isn't designed as an outlet for what I think Chris Ballard is going to do (logically), but moreso what I think they should do, and the various reasonings to support that ideology. 

Fair enough.

Personally I don't get the love fest (not singling you out) with these diva WR's who are clearly me first and have the shown the capacity to divide the locker room.  OBJ and AB are sublime talents but who have a long history of being knuckleheads.  And being injured too.  Throw that on top of the cost financially and draft capital - no freaking thanks.

Plus, you know... Ballard

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Fair enough.

Personally I don't get the love fest (not singling you out) with these diva WR's who are clearly me first and have the shown the capacity to divide the locker room.  OBJ and AB are sublime talents but who have a long history of being knuckleheads.  And being injured too.  Throw that on top of the cost financially and draft capital - no freaking thanks.

Plus, you know... Ballard

Oh I get it, it's never gonna happen...probably.  I just want someone other than TY for Luck, and drafting a guy may take some time, and most of the FA guys don't seem like big enough upgrades. I'm not sold that Luck will play into his late 30s like some of the ironmen these days are doing, so I worry that the window may close relatively fast, or faster than Ballard can get us to where we need to be. There's a balance in there somewhere, and he obviously knows way better than I do now to achieve that balance. Hopefully this offseason goes well. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

All I can really say to that is OBJ>>>Inman. If you'd rather have Inman over OBJ that's cool and I respect that, but it seems borderline insane to me.