Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A few thoughts about Desir....

NewColtsFan

On 2/21/2019 at 1:11 AM, BlueShoe said:

We don’t need to pay a cover 2 corner big money. They’re the easiest to find. We are not asking them to protect an island all day like we did Vontae in our old man scheme. 

Our defense requires our corners to be physical and they will take a beating. So will our safeties. 

In my mind, we should only pay big money to our quarterback, the front seven and the offensive line. Every other position we need to get at a bargain or we let walk. 

I agree to an extent

However.  Desir has become a very good player as part of the Colts family

CB has said that he wants to resign his own.

Desir is in that group, and played very well for most of the year. In certain games he played lights out

He shouldnt get 15M based on your points. But.........  He should get paid

I wouldnt be surprised at all with a $8-9Mil signing

I dont see anyone giving him $10 Mil 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not in favor of breaking the bank on Desir.

I posted the article to let the Colts Community know that if the writer's guesstimation is even close to being right,  then there's little chance of the Colts bringing him back.     Just a heads-up so that posters here are not surprised by what Desir might get on the open market.

I assume Ballard will have all the bases covered.     We should be fine.

I do get this point. I just have a hard time believing that a guy who's been around for years, and who couldn't get a bite in FA last year and settled for a cheap one year deal, is suddenly worth double digit millions annually. We'll find out pretty soon, I guess. But until it happens, I remain skeptical that Desir is worth elite money on the open market. I still think a $6-7m per year contract offer from the Colts will get it done. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoose said:

Desir played well last year. He's going to get paid much better this year. I hope the Colts step up and pay the man a fair salary. Something like 2 yrs/$12m. with a team option for year 3. $8 m guaranteed. Keep the talent you have and build out from there. I believe the Colts would miss Desir if they let him walk. If a crazy offer comes forward, so be it. But if he's available for the price tag noted above, re-sign the man. He earned it. 

I could get behind that kind of deal. In my thinking, a  3 yr deal of 5-7/yr was my thought so that fits perfectly in the middle, I think he has played well enough to earn that kind of contract. 

Wilson “should” progress in a much bigger leap for year 3. Moore was our play maker last year, can he follow that up? Jalen Collins is someone we “hope” will make an impact but this kid never played for us last season so who knows what he will provide, if anything at all. Will we draft high another corner (1-2 round)? 

As for me, I’m still more concerned about the player who can defend the 5 yard pass in the middle than the attempted 30 yard bombs. If we get the pass rush more involved, gonna see far less 30 yard attempts than we those 5 yard passes. If we can’t get a safety that can cover those underneath passes to the rb or the TE, won’t matter who is out at the cb spot, teams will just keep nickel and diming us. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not in favor of breaking the bank on Desir.

I posted the article to let the Colts Community know that if the writer's guesstimation is even close to being right,  then there's little chance of the Colts bringing him back.     Just a heads-up so that posters here are not surprised by what Desir might get on the open market.

I assume Ballard will have all the bases covered.     We should be fine.

My feeling is since he hasn’t been resigned yet, Desir feels his worth is far enough apart from what CB values him at and Desir is going to seek a FA contract opportunity, with CB blessing, perhaps encouragement. Seeing that the team signed Glowinski right away, they felt his play warranted an immediate strike and fair pay. If the team felt Desir had those same attributes, they would have signed him to a similar fair type deal. So this signals to me that the team doesn’t see fair deal anywhere close enough to have Desir give up some of his gamble that he can strike a richer contract in the open market and have a potential playoff ready team offer it to him. 

The one part part of this same thought process has me concerned that we are also far apart on Inman, and I’d rather see Inman back over the desire to have Desir back. Not sure what’s going on there. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hoose said:

I do get this point. I just have a hard time believing that a guy who's been around for years, and who couldn't get a bite in FA last year and settled for a cheap one year deal, is suddenly worth double digit millions annually. We'll find out pretty soon, I guess. But until it happens, I remain skeptical that Desir is worth elite money on the open market. I still think a $6-7m per year contract offer from the Colts will get it done. 

You ever heard of Tim Jennings? 

We were lined up 15 wide around the block to drive that guy to the airport to get him out of town. He went on to Chicago to play at al all-pro level, and had he been able to play there a while longer could have had a potentially HOF worthy career there. 

Desir’s struggle elsewhere has no play on his value here. 

8 hours ago, Jdubu said:

My feeling is since he hasn’t been resigned yet, Desir feels his worth is far enough apart from what CB values him at and Desir is going to seek a FA contract opportunity, with CB blessing, perhaps encouragement. Seeing that the team signed Glowinski right away, they felt his play warranted an immediate strike and fair pay. If the team felt Desir had those same attributes, they would have signed him to a similar fair type deal. So this signals to me that the team doesn’t see fair deal anywhere close enough to have Desir give up some of his gamble that he can strike a richer contract in the open market and have a potential playoff ready team offer it to him. 

The one part part of this same thought process has me concerned that we are also far apart on Inman, and I’d rather see Inman back over the desire to have Desir back. Not sure what’s going on there. 

I'm modestly hopeful that we will have several re-signings of our own free agents right after the combine and right before the start of the FA window.

It's a period of about a week.

Or course,  there could be another group of signings the first week or two of he FA period after our guys go out on the market and get offers and bring them back to the Colts to see if we'll meet or beat them.     I hope so.     I want our guys to feel like we appreciate what they did and reward them for their efforts.     I don't want too many of our guys feeling like they have to go elsewhere to get paid.

We'll soon find out.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Waylon said:

You ever heard of Tim Jennings? 

We were lined up 15 wide around the block to drive that guy to the airport to get him out of town. He went on to Chicago to play at al all-pro level, and had he been able to play there a while longer could have had a potentially HOF worthy career there. 

Desir’s struggle elsewhere has no play on his value here. 

John, Jennings had one really good year on THAT D. And one or two more good ones. That was his career. It was great that someone else got him to play better for that brief time.

9 hours ago, Jdubu said:

More like Desir and his agent feel like this is his ONE shot to get as much Guaranteed income for his LIFE. He will get to see the Number in the 3 days up to FA, and pray he has more than 1 good option, especially US.
 Ballard may be reasonably confident that Collins has changed his life.
If so, he had the skills to be as good or better than Desir, for just $1M next season.
That would be sweet. And CB would have maybe $6-7 M to spend on..... a 2nd Prize. 

or 3rd really good one. 
I hope this is it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

More like Desir and his agent feel like this is his ONE shot to get as much Guaranteed income for his LIFE. He will get to see the Number in the 3 days up to FA, and pray he has more than 1 good option, especially US.
 Ballard may be reasonably confident that Collins has changed his life.
If so, he had the skills to be as good or better than Desir, for just $1M next season.
That would be sweet. And CB would have maybe $6-7 M to spend on..... a 2nd Prize. 

or 3rd really good one. 
I hope this is it.

Until Collins plays in a game at corner for the team, we truly don’t know what we have in him. We may know what his potential could be but unlike Desir, we don’t know how he will play with these guys, in this defense on this team. I mean, Collins could absolutely be a huge steal but it’s possible he isn’t anything more than a PS guy. The nice thing is, CB at least has seen what he looks like in practice and his behaviors while being a teammate. Let’s just hope it all works out in our favor. 

On 2/21/2019 at 11:18 AM, throwing BBZ said:

Our D desperately needs a good shutdown corner don't be _____ about it folks.
 It is about winning Playoff games and the SB not beating the other 22 Joe's. 
 That is expected.

Fuller is younger, better, with a different level of expectations so the comp is IFFY.

And he got a poison pill offer from GB with $18M fully guaranteed. His $1M 1st year salary and his signing bonus.
 Fuller had a 81 PFF grade last year #7 CB. Desir 77 and #18 CB.
 Jaylen Collins had a 81 grade once. CB was more than kicking tires? 
 My Guesstimate for Desir is his 1st year also guaranteed set up similar to Fuller's, but no more than 8-10M, if that, and a roster bonus in year 2 of a Milliom or two paid in March 2020, leaving his buyer with an option to move on. A 3 yr deal.
 I definitely thought his game got really good in the 2nd half of the season,
He didn't turn the ball over like we could use, so Collins and the draft are strong possibilities i am sure.

I agree with all of this!

Desir loves Indy, loves the team; both players and organization. (I heard an  interview).  I think he would take slightly less to stay, but not a lot less.  So then market offers (vs. Colts value offer) will determine whether he stays or leaves.  He want's to take care of himself and his family.  If our offer is close, I think he returns.