Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stitches

Landon Collins status/rumors (merge)

38 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Sounds to me like that is what happened. 

It happened, but not because of Collins. Kittles crossed his face or got behind him multiple times, and then Collins chased him down or another player over the top contained him. 

However we classify that game, it's not evidence that Collins can adequately cover TEs. It's actually evidence that he cannot cover TEs, especially good TEs. And that's not news, or at least it shouldn't be. 

I can't see Ballard getting into a bidding war over Collins. I like Collins a lot, but think he's a bit overrated.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

It happened, but not because of Collins. Kittles crossed his face or got behind him multiple times, and then Collins chased him down or another player over the top contained him. 

However we classify that game, it's not evidence that Collins can adequately cover TEs. It's actually evidence that he cannot cover TEs, especially good TEs. And that's not news, or at least it shouldn't be. 

To be fair, not many can adequately cover elite TE's in this league.  Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, Gronk.

5 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

I can't see Ballard getting into a bidding war over Collins. I like Collins a lot, but think he's a bit overrated.

I hope he does.  Either way we have enough to cover it. Or we make someone over pay.  I guess you have to know who your bidding against and see how much you can suck out of them.   i'm pretty good at auctions . HAHA

8 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

To be fair, not many can adequately cover elite TE's in this league.  Kittle, Kelce, Ertz, Gronk.

That's a legitimate point, but your earlier assertion was that Collins is good at covering TEs, and that's something on which we have a fundamental disagreement.

And while it's not easy to find safeties who hold up in coverage against TEs, I would argue that there are at least two in this year's FA class who do so better than Collins -- Amos and Phillips, and maybe HHCD. And there are two others (that I know of, maybe more) in the draft class that appear to have the tools and have done an adequate job on tape -- Deionte Thompson and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson.

So if it's important to have a SS who can hold up against TEs and slot receivers -- it's critically important to me, we'll see how important it is to Ballard, Reich and Eberflus -- I think there are better options with greater value than Collins at a premium.

13 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

honestly I can't see Ballard getting into a bidding war over anyone. 

I bet Ballard will be kicking the tires on him for sure. I think he's a Ballard type of player; young, aggressive and has the pure love for football. Good mentor/locker room guy who could be another leader on defense. I would love to have him.

22 hours ago, Superman said:

That's a legitimate point, but your earlier assertion was that Collins is good at covering TEs, and that's something on which we have a fundamental disagreement.

And while it's not easy to find safeties who hold up in coverage against TEs, I would argue that there are at least two in this year's FA class who do so better than Collins -- Amos and Phillips, and maybe HHCD. And there are two others (that I know of, maybe more) in the draft class that appear to have the tools and have done an adequate job on tape -- Deionte Thompson and Chauncey Gardner-Johnson.

So if it's important to have a SS who can hold up against TEs and slot receivers -- it's critically important to me, we'll see how important it is to Ballard, Reich and Eberflus -- I think there are better options with greater value than Collins at a premium.

I have no issue finding a Safety to add to depth and fight with other's in that area, especially if they have tools to cover TE's.  I think Leonard could, if given a chance, and not in zone, But his abilities could also be used elsewhere.

I see no issue signing Collins, who is a proven box safety, and drafting another safety for those purposes and letting them fight it out.  Would actually be a decent idea anyhow when Colts are in sub formations.

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Colts trying to do some recruiting. Lol

I love it!

I dont think Ballard is going the Collins route at all. I think he will get Geathers resigned and then draft a young guy with coverage ability to play behind him for short period of time. Playing in sub packages just like Clayton did his first couple years. Or maybe Ballard finds a bargain type guy in FA to play in the sub packages. I dont think hes handing out a large contract for the SS spot.

When you look at the teams who successfully run this style of defense that we play. Or a similar scheme coverage wise, none of them have a lot invested into the SS spot unless its a draft pick they resigned or are planning on resigning. They play or have played that spot with draft picks.