Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Landon Collins status/rumors (merge)

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Except collins is an in the box safety and is better than Geathers if we sign him and dont play him in the box at SS we are stupid 

Not necessary. Collins is much better in coverage then Geathers, but Geathers is better playing inside.  

• Like 1

Just now, CR91 said:

Not necessary. Collins is much better in coverage then Geathers, but Geathers is better playing inside.  

Sure hes better in coverage but hes not good enough to be playing deep he is also a better box safety than geathers we would prolly just play Odom deep in our 3 safety sets 

Sure hes better in coverage but hes not good enough to be playing deep he is also a better box safety than geathers we would prolly just play Odom deep in our 3 safety sets 

Id feel better with Collins in coverage then Odum. 

• Like 1

Just now, csmopar said:

im just waiting for this all to start.  its gonna be an intense off season, rumored FAs, signings, re-signings, the draft!  YAY WE ARE RELEVANT AGAIN!!!

hey, i'm glad it won't be boring least.... I'm sure there's going to be a lot of nonsense as there always is but it'll hold my attention. 

• Like 1

I just see no way Ballard signs one of the best SS and plays him deep instead of where he excels in the box 

Same way we played Mike Mitchell and Farley. Geathers is basically another LB out there. Collins can still roam the field.

4 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We'll see but I bet he's playing in the box over everyone on our roster 

I don't see this as an issue. It fits perfectly with what we do with our safeties. Even guys like Odum and Wilcox were on the field at the same time as geathers and hooker.

3 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I don't see this as an issue. It fits perfectly with what we do with our safeties. Even guys like Odum and Wilcox were on the field at the same time as geathers and hooker.

Well playing a S that's not that good in deep coverage deep is kinda dumb. why wouldn't we just go after one of the safties who are better deep that are prolly cheaper. Paying the most likely most expensive S then moving him out of position is pointless.

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Well playing a S that's not that good in deep coverage deep is kinda dumb. why wouldn't we just go after one of the safties who are better deep that are prolly cheaper.

Mitchell and Farley were not playing deep coverage. More mid-zone with the ability to roam.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I just see no way Ballard signs one of the best SS and plays him deep instead of where he excels in the box 

Collins may not excel in deep coverage the way Hooker does, but Collins does excel in covering TEs one on one, and the ability to roam the mid zone area. Geathers does not to my understanding. 

• Like 1

Just now, BProland85 said:

Collins may not excel in deep coverage the way Hooker does, but Collins does excel in covering TEs one on one. Geathers does not to my understanding. 

Exactly that's why I dont get this idea to play him deep when he is great at covering underneath and playing the run D

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

We play a lot of three safety looks. We can sign Collins and Geathers with Collins playing coverage and Geathers in the box

Yep..."big nickel" is (and should be) the staple of this defense. 

The Colts need three legit Ss to run it...plus some depth. Ideally, two of those are high level players. This is why I really wanted Derwin James. But Collins and Hooker could be that pairing...with a draft pick playing the nickel position. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Ballard sign a couple Ss in FA and draft one. 

Something to also consider...if the Colts transition to more Cover 3 concepts...Collins wouldn't really be a deep S.

If they make a play for a legit CB who can man cover...this might be a good indication of where this defense is headed.

If they are sticking with the Cover 2, I think I might like Mathieu better.

1 minute ago, shastamasta said:

Something to also consider...if the Colts transition to more Cover 3 concepts...Collins wouldn't really be a deep S.

If they make a play for a legit CB who can man cover...this might be a good indication of where this defense is headed.

If they are sticking with the Cover 2, I think I might like Mathieu better.

Draft Amani Oruwariye 

2 hours ago, stitches said:

At this point, most high end FAs with big salary demands seem to be angling at our capspace. It's kind of hilarious in a way, but oh well... I thought it was at least interesting to post. 

On the article... I think at this point most of what Colts media is putting out is pure conjecture and nothing concrete as sourced information. It's almost entirely "I think the Colts SHOULD pursue him" rather than information about actual interest. 

I'm confused by what's circled?

• Superman changed the title to Landon Collins status/rumors (merge)
27 minutes ago, twfish said:

I'm confused by what's circled?

Collins' last liked comment is of a post by Malik Hooker:

Dz5UKmUX0AAE57f.jpg

This comment with a video in it:

Also, worth pointing out that Collins is not liberal with his 'likes'. He has 3 liked tweets since the beginning of the year and the only one football related is the one by Hooker. 

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Hate to admit it but I haven't watched Landon Collins play much if any. Didn't he struggle big time his first 2 years? How would he fit into our defense? Is he to replace Geathers or?

Struggled on his first year. Dropped weight, was allowed to play exclusively SS and took of his second year and has been one of the best safeties since. He's better the closer he is to LOS. Not a typical deep cover 2 S.

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, stitches said:

OK, lets go get him. 

I agree. He's a rare talent at a position of genuine need. Give me a free agency haul of Collins and Flowers and Humphries and this team is substantially stronger. 

Just now, Superman said:

This place will be nuts over the next 2-3 weeks.

Absolutely. Especially with all the misinformation that is always spread around in the FA frenzy. The last two years should teach us that we shouldn't always believe reports linking the Colts to anybody.

7 minutes ago, Hoose said:

I agree. He's a rare talent at a position of genuine need. Give me a free agency haul of Collins and Flowers and Humphries and this team is substantially stronger. 

You are going to be lucky to take one of those let alone all 3 of them. I am not sure I want to spend my one big cap dollar in FA on a safety unless he is tops at coverage and the run, is he both of those things?

9 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

This place will go nuts when he signs elsewhere.

After last year, I think Ballard will get the benefit of the doubt, regardless... at least for one year.  

That said, Collins makes a lot of sense, and you have the dough to pay a premium price for at least one player.  I have a feeling he'll be a Colt.

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

This place will be nuts over the next 2-3 weeks.

More like over the next 2 months before the draft. And then it will go nuts over the draft for the following 2 months before camp... and then it's going nuts for 2 more months about the roster cuts, etc... :D 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1