Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Landon Collins status/rumors (merge)

I wouldn't call it overpaying.  It's actually the player resetting the market because teams feel he is worth it.  Happens every year.  That's just supply and demand.  If teams feel he is worth it he will get paid.  And the market for that position gets reset.  Luckily we are now at the point where we can afford to bring on a young premier talented player or two.  Down the road we might not have that luxury.   We can afford him and we need him.  I'm hoping Ballard gets it done.  

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 11:11 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

Sure hes better in coverage but hes not good enough to be playing deep he is also a better box safety than geathers we would prolly just play Odom deep in our 3 safety sets 

I thought Collins established his rep back in 2016 as a deep player.
 And it has been 2 years of meh since.
  And maybe Odum has a jump in his game in 2019, but i was hoping he would maybe not be a Colt next season.

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I thought Collins established his rep back in 2016 as a deep player.
 And it has been 2 years of meh since.
  And maybe Odum has a jump in his game in 2019, but i was hoping he would maybe not be a Colt next season.

Idk about Odum we have so many FA S it's hard to know who will stay and who will go 

If it's strictly about the $, the Colts are unlikely to sign Collins, as most observant folks seem to get by now, this GM isn't overpaying anyone to come play for his team.

The wildcard though is Collins may want to play for the Colts for less than other teams offer. Remember Ballard said that last year, some players wouldn't come to Indy because of multiple reasons that had nothing to do with money (no certainty surrounding #12, poor team, lack of direction, etc) and this year Indy has all those things locked down and more so there may yet be some players who sign here for less than they get offered elsewhere if they believe there's something special brewing here...we all believe that to be the case.

7 minutes ago, krunk said:

If the Colts had any interest in Collins why would they be trying to resign Clayton Geathers is my question?

Because interest may be a one way street, and we may not know Collin's thoughts until next week(?).

1 minute ago, buccolts said:

Because interest may be a one way street, and we may not know Collin's thoughts until next week(?).

If they resign Geathers which I think Ballard will, then I don't see them aquiring Collins also.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

If they resign Geathers which I think Ballard will, then I don't see them aquiring Collins also.

I'd think it less likely, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I won't be surprised to draft another safety, though.

Just now, buccolts said:

I'd think it less likely, but I wouldn't rule it out completely.

I won't be surprised to draft another safety, though.

Chauncey Gardner Johnson I like.  I haven't looked at some of the others.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

If the Colts had any interest in Collins why would they be trying to resign Clayton Geathers is my question?

From what I have been reading Ballard was thinking about a Mewhort type deal.  One year prove it.  It does not sound like he wants to make a long term commitment.  Now that Collins might be available that could change everything.  

On 2/20/2019 at 3:10 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

I like Ballard but if he thinks Geathers is the long term solution,  I would seriously question his judgement. Geathers cannot stay healthy. Maybe sign him for depth but u cannot go into next season with idea of him being your starting SS.

Exactly!  I've been saying the same thing. Sign him as depth or cut him bc of injuries.

I think we can find better players in the draft.

1 hour ago, krunk said:

No one knew for sure if Collins would be available or not.  

That said, signing a player of Geathers stature, with his injury history, shouldn't preclude the signing or drafting of anyone.  Ballard re-signed Darius Butler, then drafted Hooker.

If Geathers can get more years, more money and starting position elsewhere, I'm sure he'll take it.

18 minutes ago, #12. said:

That said, signing a player of Geathers stature, with his injury history, shouldn't preclude the signing or drafting of anyone.  Ballard re-signed Darius Butler, then drafted Hooker.

If Geathers can get more years, more money and starting position elsewhere, I'm sure he'll take it.

Agreed. We play a lot of three safety looks. Also Geathers isn't really your traditional S. Hes more of a LBer 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, #12. said:

I totally don't see Collins and Geathers on the same team at the same time.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Both would be good picks for us.

We're looking for a Stong Safety....    one who can play in the box.   Be a small linebacker.

Not sure Thornhill is that guy.     I think he's a free safety,  not a strong.

Hooker seems like a strong safety....     I'd be happy to draft him.   Pick 59 or 89.

29 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're looking for a Stong Safety....    one who can play in the box.   Be a small linebacker.

Not sure Thornhill is that guy.     I think he's a free safety,  not a strong.

Hooker seems like a strong safety....     I'd be happy to draft him.   Pick 59 or 89.

NFL is trending towards smaller strong safeties that can keep up with TEs and RBs, IMO. If he can play the run at that size, he would be a good fit in the current NFL where teams play star safeties (a 3rd one) more often than they used to.

Bob Sanders was 206 and Thornhill is 205 lbs. He is more long and less stocky compared to Sanders, but that helps him with his coverage range. I'd rather have my safety sure tackle the ball carrier / pass catcher first more than lay big hits, prolongs longevity and is just as effective stopping the down. :) 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/juan-thornhill?id=32195448-4f54-9495-af73-48eb17033beb

This makes it seem like he is a good tackler. Plus, when you play a guy like Lamar Jackson, the dime package becomes more important where you have an athletic third safety, like the Chargers showed. If I remember right, they even went with a 4th CB having 7 DBs on the field. 

That is also the reason guys like Taylor Rapp, Chauncey Gardner Johnson etc. (both 210 lbs or less) are being considered for strong safety as well because they can play nickel or dime CB in a pinch if needed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

NFL is trending towards smaller strong safeties that can keep up with TEs and RBs, IMO. If he can play the run at that size, he would be a good fit in the current NFL where teams play star safeties (a 3rd one) more often than they used to.

Bob Sanders was 206 and Thornhill is 205 lbs. He is more long and less stocky compared to Sanders, but that helps him with his coverage range. I'd rather have my safety sure tackle the ball carrier / pass catcher first more than lay big hits, prolongs longevity and is just as effective stopping the down. :) 

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/juan-thornhill?id=32195448-4f54-9495-af73-48eb17033beb

This makes it seem like he is a good tackler. Plus, when you play a guy like Lamar Jackson, the dime package becomes more important where you have an athletic third safety, like the Chargers showed. If I remember right, they even went with a 4th CB having 7 DBs on the field. 

That is also the reason guys like Taylor Rapp, Chauncey Gardner Johnson etc. (both 210 lbs or less) are being considered for strong safety as well because they can play nickel or dime CB in a pinch if needed.

Your post makes an interesting argument, as usual.    Always appreciate your perspective...

But...   to me...

Take another look at the NFL.com profile you linked.    Look at the Zierlein positives and negatives section.     They describe a free safety,  NOT a strong safety.     Honestly.

When a team thinks the franchise tag price is too high on a player, like the 11.5 million for Collins, does the player usually make more or less when they sign with another team? (Per year)

I don’t really understand why they won’t just give him another contract with less yearly money than 11.5 for multiple years. Is that possible? Do they just not think he’s worth it? 

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your post makes an interesting argument, as usual.    Always appreciate your perspective...

But...   to me...

Take another look at the NFL.com profile you linked.    Look at the Zierlein positives and negatives section.     They describe a free safety,  NOT a strong safety.     Honestly.

True. But what I was getting at is the NFL is changing and we cannot pigeon hole a safety as having to be just a one trick pony at strong safety. 

Cardinals using Deone Buchannan as a LB/safety, Tyrann Mathieu as a hybrid safety/nickel CB, Jaguars using Telvin Smith as more than a coverage LB, and with more motion offenses dictating defensive reactions, a strong safety that gives you flexibility, should teams go 4 verticals on you with an inline TE going vertical with strong safety lined up close to the box, is invaluable. 

Hence I am not dismissing a lighter safety like the ones in the current draft playing strong safety.

6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

True. But what I was getting at is the NFL is changing and we cannot pigeon hole a safety as having to be just a one trick pony at strong safety. 

Cardinals using Deone Buchannan as a LB/safety, Tyrann Mathieu as a hybrid safety/nickel CB, Jaguars using Telvin Smith as more than a coverage LB, and with more motion offenses dictating defensive reactions, a strong safety that gives you flexibility, should teams go 4 verticals on you with an inline TE going vertical with strong safety lined up close to the box, is invaluable. 

Hence I am not dismissing a lighter safety like the ones in the current draft playing strong safety.

I get it.....

But to Thornhill specifically....      his strengths would appear to make him a free safety.

And his weaknesses would prevent him from being a good strong safety.

And given that Ballard/Eberflus like a bigger strong safety (Geathers is 220)  then it would strike me that that's the type they'd like.    I'd say Collins,  but I honestly don't know if Collins himself views his best spot at Free or Strong?     Don't know.

I confess I'm curious....