Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bell will be a UFA

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Bell, Flowers and Collins in FA.  That could get us to the SB. 

Man, it would bring a huge infusion of talent, for sure...especially if you add in the draft, but at what cost? I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to continue to resign guys when the time was right handing 15-17 mil contracts to running backs.

19 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Man, it would bring a huge infusion of talent, for sure...especially if you add in the draft, but at what cost? I'm afraid they wouldn't be able to continue to resign guys when the time was right handing 15-17 mil contracts to running backs.

Me, I would rather win the SB now.  We have plenty of time and cap space to worry about resigning guys that are years away.   Coaches and GM's don't have that much time to work their magic.  Especially when you have a healthy Luck, won in the playoffs last year and have the resources like we have at our disposal.  I'm not that worried about the cost.  Ballard has ways to work that out.  JMO of course. 

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Me, I would rather win the SB now.  We have plenty of time and cap space to worry about resigning guys that are years away.   Coaches and GM's don't have that much time to work their magic.  Especially when you have a healthy Luck, won in the playoffs last year and have the resources like we have at our disposal.  I'm not that worried about the cost.  Ballard has ways to work that out.  JMO of course. 

I hear you, and that's not an irrational line of thinking. I'm not sure Lev is the piece to get to the SB tho. I'd say rather give big money to defensive guys, or a WR if they're gonna do it. (Not gonna lie tho, I'd buy that blue Lev jersey the day it came out! Lol)

• Like 1

I feel like Leveon Bell is going to be a ginormous risk for whoever signs him. He better be in tip top shape (see alleged 260 lb post above), ready to prove himself, and coming out of the gate producing. If he doesn't, it's a giant reach and an incredibly overpriced move. Anybody sitting out a year would make me nervous unless they can prove their year off was spent working on their body, preparing for what is to come... I'm not sure that is the case here, or very often for that matter. 

I don't believe all the crazy money talk.  It's just talk.  No one has any idea.  What we do know is Bell wants to be a Colt and for obvious reasons.  We will pay him well and he will be on a win now mode contender with a proven franchise QB.   We are so easily the most obvious landing spot.  Ballard probably can't believe his good fortune that Bell is actually there for the taking.  And it won't cost him a draft pick.  Only money.  And with any more luck Flowers and Collins as well.  It doesn't get any better than that. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't believe all the crazy money talk.  It's just talk.  No one has any idea.  What we do know is Bell wants to be a Colt and for obvious reasons.  We will pay him well and he will be on a win now mode contender with a proven franchise QB.   We are so easily the most obvious landing spot.  Ballard probably can't believe his good fortune that Bell is actually there for the taking.  And it won't cost him a draft pick.  Only money.  And with any more luck Flowers and Collins as well.  It doesn't get any better than that. 

Man, I fear for your overall well being when Bell signs with the Jets (or insert any other team) in March.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There are whispers Bell wants something asinine like "$50M in the first two years" or even as relaxed as $45M over the first three years.

He wants some guarantees around what Gurley got ($45M).

Since the guy just gave up $13M to get to this payday healthy, you better believe he is not going to settle for some $8M-$10M a year type deal unless a majority of it is guaranteed.

There was a fun and interesting article narrowing down the teams likely to go after Bell.

The bottom line upfront is they narrowed the possibilities after first cut and second cut and third cut and said the race will likely come down to:

Jets

Raiders

I could totally buy this. I might keep a few other teams in the running like the Texans, but we'll see.

If Bell falls on a harsh reality and nobody is going to offer him what he is expecting and he is going to settle for some deal around 3-4 yrs and $30-40M with most of that guaranteed, then I would give him a serious look since he could be moved around and play the slot better than anyone on our team other than Hilton.

But all it takes is one team to meet his request and overpay him.

I think it is going to be funny if it is the Jets after he said awhile back that $60M was not enough to come run w the Jets.

This is going to be a fun off-season.

19 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

There are whispers Bell wants something asinine like "$50M in the first two years" or even as relaxed as $45M over the first three years.

He wants some guarantees around what Gurley got ($45M).

Since the guy just gave up $13M to get to this payday healthy, you better believe he is not going to settle for some $8M-$10M a year type deal unless a majority of it is guaranteed.

There was a fun and interesting article narrowing down the teams likely to go after Bell.

The bottom line upfront is they narrowed the possibilities after first cut and second cut and third cut and said the race will likely come down to:

Jets

Raiders

I could totally buy this. I might keep a few other teams in the running like the Texans, but we'll see.

If Bell falls on a harsh reality and nobody is going to offer him what he is expecting and he is going to settle for some deal around 3-4 yrs and $30-40M with most of that guaranteed, then I would give him a serious look since he could be moved around and play the slot better than anyone on our team other than Hilton.

But all it takes is one team to meet his request and overpay him.

I think it is going to be funny if it is the Jets after he said awhile back that $60M was not enough to come run w the Jets.

This is going to be a fun off-season.

I agree it's going to be a fun off season.  We better hope it's not the Texans.  FWIW Bleacher Report has us as the frontrunner.  Ballard just has to get the deal done.

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I agree it's going to be a fun off season.  We better hope it's not the Texans.  FWIW Bleacher Report has us as the frontrunner.  Ballard just has to get the deal done.

Heh, I actually really hope the Texans sign him.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we sign Bell and Flowers and nail this Draft, we will be at no worse in the AFC Title Game. Going to the SB is no guarantee with Tommy still around and KC is very good but we will be hell on wheels if we add more good players.

Hell on Wheels, easily one of my favorite shows of all time

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Well we have a boat load of money to spend... and none of our big time guys need to be resigned for several years (Castonzo is the only one up in the next few years).  Everyone who uses the "dont sign so and so, we need to re-sign our own guys!", must not realize that contracts are only for as many years as we sign them to, and beyond the guaranteed money, can be terminated at little to no cost.

Yes, i think we need to keep drafting well etc... but i also dont think we need to only do that and hope to win a super bowl when Luck is in the back half of his career and the young guys finally hit their prime.  I think we are close, and have money...and now that we know Luck is "back", we need to strike now and try to maximize this portion of his career.

I like Mack, but he's not exactly proven that he can play a full season... we also could REALLY use one or two STARTER quality WRs...and that's just on offense.

We have the young core of our team, we have a great coaching staff...we now know that Luck is fully healthy we need to try and win now, while everything is working in our favor.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, esmort said:

Why is it unfair ... and how do you make it fair?

It forces a player to stay with that team instead of them going out to find a big long term deal it can also force a player to stay in a toxic environment (honestly I believe that is why bell held out). Also a team can tag a player and then trade them instead of letting the player go where he wants. Sure you get paid like a top player for that year but that's a gamble a player is forced to go though and then they can have what Earl Thomas had happen too him. It is incredibly abused and used again and again like the redskins did to Cousins. If I where to change it I would first of all make it 100% optional for a player to sign it or not and if they choose not too let them hit the free market. Second I would limit it to a player only being able to be tagged one time. Third I would make it where if a player is tagged they cannot be traded

Honestly, I see Ballard liking the production that we got from Marlon Mack. Mack did some damage out there on the field this past year despite being injured the first few games. I think we roll with him and scout the market for WR, D-Line, CB, and Safety.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I'm not sure they can, I've not looked at the numbers recently, but if they are rumored to be letting Clowney go due to money reasons, I'm not sure they take on Bell.

They have 75 million in cap space. They could easily have both.

But they might not want to pay to players premium money on DL (Watt and Clowney) and they need 3 new starters on OL, where their biggest need is and might want to put their resources there.

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2019 at 7:13 PM, richard pallo said:

Of course people know.    Of course they have an idea.    I have no idea why you'd believe this nonsense.

And speaking of nonsense....    there is the rest of your post.

And to think,  you've now written TWICE about how you're going to laugh at people when all your predictions turn out to be true.     You actually wrote that.     Twice.    Pretty big talk for a guy who has literally been wrong on every personnel prediction you've made for roughly the last six months.    Impressive.   

From where I stand you don't have the credentials to laugh at a single person.    Not one.

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Of course people know.    Of course they have an idea.    I have no idea why you'd believe this nonsense.

And speaking of nonsense....    there is the rest of your post.

And to think,  you've now written TWICE about how you're going to laugh at people when all your predictions turn out to be true.     You actually wrote that.     Twice.    Pretty big talk for a guy who has literally been wrong on every personnel prediction you've made for roughly the last six months.    Impressive.   

From where I stand you don't have the credentials to laugh at a single person.    Not one.

I think you have the wrong guy.  I don't recall making any personnel predictions or about laughing at people.  Just making a case for certain players.   I remember making a prediction at the beginning of last season in a thread asking for one and I predicted our OL would finish in the top 5 in fewest sacks allowed.  It worked out.  But if you say I did I guess I did.   Sorry about that. 

15 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think you have the wrong guy.  I don't recall making any personnel predictions or about laughing at people.  Just making a case for certain players.   I remember making a prediction at the beginning of last season in a thread asking for one and I predicted our OL would finish in the top 5 in fewest sacks allowed.  It worked out.  But if you say I did I guess I did.   Sorry about that. 

Really?

You didn't say we'd make a move for Mack?

You didn't say we'd make a move for Cooper?

You didn't say we'd make a move for Bryant?

You didn't say we'd make a move for Brown?

You didn't say we'd make a move for Bell?

Feels like I'm forgetting one.   Or more.    Oh,  and Landon Collins.     That's Six,  that I can remember.

I'll try to find the comments about laughing at people.    But I've read that from you TWICE this week.

I see him going to the Jets, and think that Houston may take a swing at him.

I think he is a clear upgrade from Mack, but put the chance of a COLTS signing are near Nil

Early on this season, while Mack was still getting going, I was hoping that we would pick Bell up.

The running game improved, but I still think we are in need of a RB with a little more size to add to the rotation

I still also would like to see Mack become more of a pass target (Where Bell excelled)

Lastly,

Bennie Snell or David Montgomery would be nice additions to this team

Both bring a little more size

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I see him going to the Jets, and think that Houston may take a swing at him.

jets maybe, i dont think the texans will though.  lamar miller actually outproduced marlon mack last year.  texans have a massive need for oline too

Bell is more likely to come here than the texans imo