Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[The Draft Network] Indianapolis Colts pre-combine 7-round mock draft

https://thedraftnetwork.com/2019/02/19/indianapolis-colts-pre-combine-7-round-mock-draft/?/push

Colts.png

Round 1, Pick 26: Dre’Mont Jones, IDL, Ohio State

A pass-rushing interior defensive lineman is exactly what Indy needs, and even though this might be a little high for Jones, the fit is on point. A rare athlete at the position, Jones’ movement skills and explosiveness would fill a role the Colts don’t currently have on their current defensive line, but there is no doubt he can stand to improve against the run.

Round 2, Pick 34: Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina

The Colts desperately need a receiver who can make magic happen with the ball in his hands, and that’s Samuel’s game to a ‘T’. A strong route runner with good short-area quickness and strength and creativity post-catch, Samuel’s style is the perfect complement to the vertical abilities of T.Y. Hilton and Eric Ebron in Indianapolis’ offense. Gonna be one of Andrew Luck’s favorites early on.

Round 2, Pick 59: Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson

Mullen isn’t a finished product, but the Colts might not need him to be. Kenny Moore and Quincy Wilson should still be in the starting lineup plans, and free agent Pierre Desir probably played well enough last season to earn a cheap contract to return to Indy. Mullen’s traits are impressive, and his flashes will attract teams in a weak cornerback class. Improving his technique will take some time, but the payoff could be significant.

Round 3, Pick 92: Mike Bell, S, Fresno State

Help in the secondary continues for Indy, as they currently don’t have a strong safety to play next to Malik Hooker. Clayton Geathers and Mike Mitchell are free agents, and nobody else on the roster projects as a starting-caliber option. Bell isn’t getting enough love in this class, both for his physicality and intensity against the run or his ball skills in coverage. I think he can start right away for Indy.

Round 4, Pick 123: L.J. Collier, EDGE, TCU

Collier has some inside/outside versatility thanks to his explosive hands and impressive power as a pas rusher. He’s kind of like Tyquan Lewis, who the Colts drafted in the second round a year ago, which might mean the team sees drafting him as redundant. However, I think Collier’s plan of attack is better, and he has even more versatility as he occasionally played in a 2-point stance at TCU.

Round 5, Pick 154: Jalen Hurd, WR, Baylor

A developmental talent with upside at wide receiver, Jalen Hurd’s draft stock is anyone’s guess at this point. Too banged up to participate in the Senior Bowl, Hurd could still give himself a bump with a strong Combine, but currently projects as more of a day 3 pick. With Hilton, Samuel and another veteran almost certainly in the mix for Indy, Hurd projects as a special teams/situational player in 2019, with more involvement down the road.

Round 6, Pick 187: Joey Alfieri, LB, Stanford

Alfieri is a sleeper in this linebacker class, but he’s a versatile athlete who consistently played hard when on the field at Stanford. Playing some on the edge and some off-the-ball, Alfieri projects best as a true linebacker who will start out as a force on special teams, but could have the athletic upside to develop into at least a long/late down option next to Darius Leonard.

Round 7, Pick 218: Jordan Wyatt, CB, Southern Methodist

The Colts met with Wyatt for quite awhile in St. Petersburg at the Shrine Game, no doubt impressed by some of the plays he made in coverage that week. He had 11 interceptions and 21 passes defensed in four years as a Mustang, showing some click-and-close that would be a factor as a nickel corner down the road. For now, special teams is the route.

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

See this is what I don't want us to do. Reaching for a DL just because theres a run. That is not good value

Exactly!!! 

If a top 2 safety or top 2 ILB like Taylor Rapp or Nasir Adderley and Mack Wilson are there (just examples), and there is a good chance a 3-tech might be there at No.34, you stick to your board and not go after the 4th or 5th best DT, IMO.

Outside a few positions, we can pretty much upgrade at most spots, IMO, and that is why I don't want to get carried away with the "has to be DL with our first round pick" stance. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Exactly!!! 

If a top 2 safety or top 2 ILB like Taylor Rapp or Nasir Adderley and Mack Wilson are there (just examples), and there is a good chance a 3-tech might be there at No.34, you stick to your board and not go after the 4th or 5th best DT, IMO.

Outside a few positions, we can pretty much upgrade at most spots, IMO, and that is why I don't want to get carried away with the "has to be DL with our first round pick" stance. 

Im sticking with my pick of Amani Oruwariye. Love this kid 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Im sticking with my pick of Amani Oruwariye. Love this kid 

I'm starting to really like him also. He is long and athletic with good ball skills. Everything Ballard looks for. If we could trade down a bit from 26 and still get him I'd be happy. 

But if a top pass rusher is available at 26 like Sweat, I'd rather go for him. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I'm starting to really like him also. He is long and athletic with good ball skills. Everything Ballard looks for. If we could trade down a bit from 26 and still get him I'd be happy. 

But if a top pass rusher is available at 26 like Sweat, I'd rather go for him. 

I doubt it. Sweat is going top 15 imo

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Exactly!!! 

Agree. Grab a top 2 player at another position if that's the case.

Though I am pretty sure Draft Network is down on Mack Wilson. Not me.

WR in the third at the earliest... unless there is a Brissett trade that somehow moves us into the mid second with another pick. The Defensive players available at 34 and 59 will be studs at positions we current have needs for...  Cain and Fountain still get their opportunity to shine

Addressing the pass rush in free agency and a solid (defensive) draft...we're playing in the Superbowl ppl.

Sign Free Agents:

Frank Clark

Trey Flowers 

Ha Ha Clinton Dix

NFL Draft:

Trade Jacoby to the Dolphins also swapping picks (26th to 13) for Christian Wilkins. 

Byron Murphy

Kelvin Harmon or Deebo Samuel (torn between the two) in the second

Trayvon Mullen in the third round

Armani Hooker (can play CB, LB and Saftey)

Max Sharping Guard (comp pick) in the fourth round

Ryan Bates Guard in the fifth 

Rodrigo Blankenship in the 6th

I would love this draft to become true. Jones and Samuel are two of my favourite prospects this year and snagging them both would be amazing.

IMO Jones is a top15 player all day long but his draft is stacked at DL so it isn't impossible.

The hip fexibility he shows on inside moves is incredible, if any guard is tasked to 1v1 him and jones gets some space to work he is unstoppable. This is going to need some scheming by our line D-coaches but we were pretty good at it this year. It is rare to find somebody that has his agility while still having enough strength to play inside.

Deebo was one of my favourite college players 2 years ago and i hoped he would declare and we could snag him later in the draft but he stayed and solidified himself as the best senior wr by far and also my personal top wr. His step cadence is excellent and it allows him to react whatever happens in front of him instantly making him very dangerous after the catch. But you can also see it in his routes. Because of it he is able to modify his routes to fit the sticks very well, which is a trait i love in wrs and 3d down play is so crucial   in the NFL. Was pleasently surprised by his senior bowl measurements too, Big hands and well over 200 pounds sounds great.

Mullen has ver good upside, while i don't really like his tape every DB will love to use him as their coaching canvas.

Haven't watched the safety but the last 4 safety drafts have all been very strong and i feel bad for any FA Safety looking for great deals. The overcrowded market is just death for lots of veterans.

Liked Collier at the seniorbowl and he could be a gould backup guy

Hurd has nice upside and Ballard has shown that he isn't scared to take players with injury woes (Hooker and Lewis f.e.) so i could see a pick like hime being true

I love late-round special teams LBs. They just seem like the best late-round value you can get in the draft to me

I don't like this.

WR with the 2nd pick? Yes it's a need, but that early? I'd rather them sign Golden Tate. 

Edge not picked until the 4th when it's possibly the biggest need on the team?

Safety: I think they re-sign Farley, and Ballard loves Geathers, but him and Hooker have injury concerns, so will they look to draft? 

I feel TE might be looked at. Especially with Reich's tendency to use them in his offense. Doyle and Ebron are both UFA 2020, Cox is EFRA 2020, Travis and Hewitt are both UFA 2019. Maybe the Colts can lock some of them up after this season, but I don't think drafting one is out of the question. 

• Like 1