Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Clark

He will not hit free agency. Nor will Dee Ford or Clowney or D.Lawrence.

It will be Trey Flowers and then a bunch of guys with upside but that most people aren't as familiar with. Guys like Preston and Zadarius Smith.

And most of those guys are going to land overpriced contracts in the $10-$15M a year range since the market for pass rushers will be slim pickings.

So I would not be surprised if we stick to our guns as Ballard has always said and we have a number and if they go beyond it we don't jump.

I would love us to fix our pass rush in one off-season, but the reality is that most of our fans will be disappointed if they think that just because we have a lot of cap room that we will just throw money at these guys.

20 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

It will be Trey Flowers and then a bunch of guys with upside but that most people aren't as familiar with. Guys like Preston and Zadarius Smith.

And most of those guys are going to land overpriced contracts in the $10-$15M a year range since the market for pass rushers will be slim pickings.

So I would not be surprised if we stick to our guns as Ballard has always said and we have a number and if they go beyond it we don't jump.

I would love us to fix our pass rush in one off-season, but the reality is that most of our fans will be disappointed if they think that just because we have a lot of cap room that we will just throw money at these guys.

The thing is Flowers and Preston and Zadarius Smith are young players.  I can see Ballard paying for a young player especially Flowers.  If they weren't so young I would agree but in their cases I believe they are all going for their second contracts.  It's a premium position so I think Ballard will go hard for one of them.  Down the road 10-15m will seem like a bargain if he's right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

The thing is Flowers and Preston and Zadarius Smith are young players.  I can see Ballard paying for a young player especially Flowers.  If they weren't so young I would agree but in their cases I believe they are all going for their second contracts.  It's a premium position so I think Ballard will go hard for one of them.  Down the road 10-15m will seem like a bargain if he's right. 

Not going to disagree with ya on this at all.

The thing w Free agency is you should pay for what a guy will do and not what he has done. Truthfully Preston Smith and ZaDarius Smith have not done enough in the past to net that $10-$15M a year type deal. That said, they are going to get it. So you either plan to pony up based on their future potential and rolling the dice, or you sit it out.

The fear I have with both Smiths is that you are banking on potential based on some flashes where both were playing in 3-4 defensive sets as OLBs.

Both have the height and frame to play DE in a 4-3, but I am not sure if you pay a guy that much coin based on unproven potential AND a defensive position switch.

It is one thing to do that w a guy like Autry who we hit on big. But Autry was a $6M a year gamble. Not $10-$15.

Truthfully, I would be looking at Flowers due to his versatility, but if we do not play there, I would only look at Smith or Smith if they were in that $8.5M a year range that we paid Sheard.

If those guys soar past that level (which I believe they will) then I think we focus on some lesser guys and draft picks and hope that Turay and Lewis keep progressing.

I trust this front office and staff to evaluate these guys. They have earned that. So I have faith whatever we do will be the right call.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TomDiggs said:

Not going to disagree with ya on this at all.

The thing w Free agency is you should pay for what a guy will do and not what he has done. Truthfully Preston Smith and ZaDarius Smith have not done enough in the past to net that $10-$15M a year type deal. That said, they are going to get it. So you either plan to pony up based on their future potential and rolling the dice, or you sit it out.

The fear I have with both Smiths is that you are banking on potential based on some flashes where both were playing in 3-4 defensive sets as OLBs.

Both have the height and frame to play DE in a 4-3, but I am not sure if you pay a guy that much coin based on unproven potential AND a defensive position switch.

It is one thing to do that w a guy like Autry who we hit on big. But Autry was a $6M a year gamble. Not $10-$15.

Truthfully, I would be looking at Flowers due to his versatility, but if we do not play there, I would only look at Smith or Smith if they were in that $8.5M a year range that we paid Sheard.

If those guys soar past that level (which I believe they will) then I think we focus on some lesser guys and draft picks and hope that Turay and Lewis keep progressing.

I trust this front office and staff to evaluate these guys. They have earned that. So I have faith whatever we do will be the right call.

I agree with you.  My first choice would be to go after Flowers hard.  Even if it means having to overpay.  I actually believe Turay and Lewis are going to have great 2nd. years.  That's why I'd prefer getting the only real blue chipper that will hit FA.  If you want the proven player and a young one at that than I am all in favor of doing what it takes.  This kind of opportunity dosen't come around every day for a pass rusher. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’d love to get Lawrence first, then flowers, then Clark and then it’s wide open imho. Maybe Clowney in that top group, however I’m not sold on Dee Ford with such a high price tag. I’d rather pull over an older Houston as opposed to a one year possible late bloomer guy. 

Im with those who will be fine with whoever the front office takes or if they ignore the whole group because they overshoot the price point and work from the draft. Grab a few lower tier guys with upside at a reasonable cost and go from there. I’d much rather have quantity of higher quality guys than 1 super stud and several just average or below guys. Always 1 injury away from losing that 1 stud for rest of the season.  

I trust CB over anything we can come up with. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TomDiggs said:

None of those second tier guys you mentioned are worth $10 $15 million a year imo but that’s the market. Foles ain’t worth $25 million a year but does anyone think a team like the Jaguars wouldn’t give him that?