Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett

Lucky Colts Fan

Are Colts fans overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Are Colts fans overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?

• Overvaluing
    • Undervaluing

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

The odds are we will get nothing for him if we keep him next season and let him go.
We Are going to sign more FA than we let go, so that will wipe out us getting ANY comp picks.

How you figure we get nothing if he stays next year?

We have a full year of having a pretty good back up at a real good price. Plus the insurance of having him in case Luck should miss any games.

Ballard said he sleeps better at night knowing we have Brissett on the team. Let him get his rest. :dunno:

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

We have a full year of having a pretty good back up at a real good price. Plus the insurance of having him in case Luck should miss any games.

Ballard said he sleeps better at night knowing we have Brissett on the team. Let him get his rest. :dunno:

what is the teams ceiling with jacoby?  that cant be answered for sure, but i dont think its a super bowl.  a trade could get us something useful and maybe help us make a run.

i think we are good enough to start thinking about how we win the big one, rather than what do we do if luck gets hurt

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

i'd rather Ballard toss and turn a little, and have an extra pick this year. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I agree but I just can't see a viable market for him. At best I think he brings us a 4th round pick.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

what is the teams ceiling with jacoby?  that cant be answered for sure, but i dont think its a super bowl.  a trade could get us something useful and maybe help us make a run.

i think we are good enough to start thinking about how we win the big one, rather than what do we do if luck gets hurt

That is just one way to look at it.

Nothing wrong with looking at it different is there?

41 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I trust Ballard will do what he does best.

One of the best things he does is not pay attention to what the fans think.

That includes me, you nor anyone else.

14 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I agree but I just can't see a viable market for him. At best I think he brings us a 4th round pick.

we shall see. it'll be interesting. i think it's a 50/50 toss up right now. 

would not be shocked if the phone started ringing right before, during, and after the draft.

15 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think you are real close in what Brissett would bring.

My point is a 4th round pick worth the gamble not having Luck backed up by a competent QB if needed?  IMO, no.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That is just one way to look at it.

Nothing wrong with looking at it different is there?

nothing wrong with that, it seems like ballard is closer to what you said than what i said too

1 minute ago, Irish YJ said:

i do too. he's nailed it so far. 

Can't much argue with what he has done so far.

I am not expecting a repeat of the last couple of years but I think he has some of the pieces in place. A couple here and there could be the ticket.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

My point is a 4th round pick worth the gamble not having Luck backed up by a competent QB if needed?  IMO, no.

honestly if Luck goes down for a game or so, i'd agree. if he goes down for the year, i really would prefer to lose and improve our 2020 draft situation. in short, i'd be fine with less talented back up QB if JB would bring a 3rd rounder or better. 4th round pick maybe.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I trust Ballard will do what he does best.

One of the best things he does is not pay attention to what the fans think.

That includes me, you nor anyone else.

And this ^ helps me sleep better!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Tough to say. If Luck missed a game or two , then you are 100% right. If he missed a good portion of the season ,  I would rather have had the draft pick. 

4 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

honestly if Luck goes down for a game or so, i'd agree. if he goes down for the year, i really would prefer to lose and improve our 2020 draft situation. in short, i'd be fine with less talented back up QB if JB would bring a 3rd rounder or better. 4th round pick maybe.

The above bolded would never fit in my brain.....ever. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

The above bolded would never fit in my brain.....ever. 

i'm all about long term, not short. if we don't have a legit shot to win it all, give me a better draft.

for instance. lets say we are 5-3. luck goes down for the season. what would your rather have.

1) struggle and go 3-5 or 4-4, end up with 8 or 9 wins, not make the playoffs or lose 1st in the WC, and draft in bottom 3rd.

or

2) go 1-7 or 2-6, not worry and let the young guys start getting reps, and draft in the top half

doesn't mean you can't cheer for the team and enjoy in scenario 2

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, aaron11 said:

what is the teams ceiling with jacoby?  that cant be answered for sure, but i dont think its a super bowl.

The standard is you hope to win 50% of the games over a short stretch your backup has to step in for your starting QB. Gets you through the rough patch without sinking the ship.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2019 at 7:38 PM, Irish YJ said:

IMO, it's too early to get "starter" offers. JB is a tweener at this point. Great back-up and potential starter. Teams looking for a starter are going to see what falls out in the draft, and preferably lock someone in to a rookie contract if possible. Those unhappy with what is available, or those with bigger other needs, will come calling during the draft, or post draft depending on how things shake out. 

I would not be shocked to see him go to Miami, TN, or Jax. QB is not deep this year. If I'm a team with a QB need, I'd go JB before I'd reach for 2nd tier in the draft. JB would be much cheaper, and you'd have one year to kick the tires.

I agree that we're most likely to get an offer post draft and/or when a major injury happens.  JB is a competent fill in starter worth a draft pick if a high profile team has an injury and wants to try and make the playoffs and their back up is terrible.  If Tom Brady got hurt for the season, I bet NE would come calling (not sure we'd answer, but alas...) as one example.  But for us to get a really valuable pick (say a second or third rounder as a best case I expect) it would need to be a team who believed he might be their answer as a starter versus an injury rental fill in and I am not sure that happens.  In that case I could see a 4th, or a swap for a 2nd for one of our later picks or something of that nature.  I am not sure a partial season rental is going to net us a lot.  And we get a pick for him if we lose him in free agency (and don't sign more in replacements) don't we? (I think we only get picks for net FA losses right? Let me know, it's always confusing to me) so obviously that might factor in on his value too.  Thoughts? If someone doesn't jump on him at all this season, I wouldn't be shocked for him to be back.  Luck is, whether we like it or not, an injury prone player.  Who would be shocked if JB had to play most or all of a game this season for us?  I wouldn't be.  I would hate it, but I wouldn't be shocked.  

On 3/3/2019 at 11:52 PM, Irish YJ said:

i'm all about long term, not short. if we don't have a legit shot to win it all, give me a better draft.

for instance. lets say we are 5-3. luck goes down for the season. what would your rather have.

1) struggle and go 3-5 or 4-4, end up with 8 or 9 wins, not make the playoffs or lose 1st in the WC, and draft in bottom 3rd.

or

2) go 1-7 or 2-6, not worry and let the young guys start getting reps, and draft in the top half

doesn't mean you can't cheer for the team and enjoy in scenario 2

I'm trying to decipher your post.     Are you saying that we should trade Brissett so that if Luck gets injured we don't have a competent backup?   Or are you just saying that if we knew the future, we should root for a better draft spot?    I agree that if we knew we were going to lose the first playoff game and could instead, pick top 8 in the draft, I would pick the better draft spot.   But we don't know that.

If we were 5-3 and Luck went down,   I would like to have Brissett filling in and maybe going 9-7 with a shot at the playoffs.   If Philly and Foles have shown us anything, it is that a competent backup can lead a good team far in the playoffs.   

On 3/5/2019 at 8:41 AM, Myles said:

I'm trying to decipher your post.     Are you saying that we should trade Brissett so that if Luck gets injured we don't have a competent backup?   Or are you just saying that if we knew the future, we should root for a better draft spot?    I agree that if we knew we were going to lose the first playoff game and could instead, pick top 8 in the draft, I would pick the better draft spot.   But we don't know that.

If we were 5-3 and Luck went down,   I would like to have Brissett filling in and maybe going 9-7 with a shot at the playoffs.   If Philly and Foles have shown us anything, it is that a competent backup can lead a good team far in the playoffs.   

I'm saying that I'm OK with a less talented back up QB. We only signed him because we knew Luck would be out for an extended period. If Luck is out for the post season, we wouldn't go far anyway. Just saying draft positioning for me is more important to me than limping long term with a BU QB. 

In short, this is likely our best chance to get something out of JB. We gave up a 2nd rounder to get him. I'd be fine with getting a 3rd for him, and either signing another FA cheap, or drafting someone in the later rounds that we'll have on a cheap long term contract. Next year, we're not going to get in a bidding war to keep him. Likely a 4th or 5th round comp, maybe 3rd if we're really lucky.

Wonder how much Sam Bradford is looking for. He can't stay healthy an entire year, and won't ever be looked at as a starter again. But I'd love to have him in the case Luck temporarily went down for a couple of plays, or a couple of games. Should be cheap. I'd guess JB will get more in a contract than Sam but who knows.

15 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I'm saying that I'm OK with a less talented back up QB. We only signed him because we knew Luck would be out for an extended period. If Luck is out for the post season, we wouldn't go far anyway. Just saying draft positioning for me is more important to me than limping long term with a BU QB. 

In short, this is likely our best chance to get something out of JB. We gave up a 2nd rounder to get him. I'd be fine with getting a 3rd for him, and either signing another FA cheap, or drafting someone in the later rounds that we'll have on a cheap long term contract. Next year, we're not going to get in a bidding war to keep him. Likely a 4th or 5th round comp, maybe 3rd if we're really lucky.

Wonder how much Sam Bradford is looking for. He can't stay healthy an entire year, and won't ever be looked at as a starter again. But I'd love to have him in the case Luck temporarily went down for a couple of plays, or a couple of games. Should be cheap. I'd guess JB will get more in a contract than Sam but who knows.

Your memory is a little hazy on Jacoby Brissett.      We did NOT pay a 2 to get him.     We traded Philip Dorsett straight up for JB.     No loss of ANY draft pick.     A straight player for player deal.

We needed a QB,  the Pats needed a WR.      

That was the deal.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Your memory is a little hazy on Jacoby Brissett.      We did NOT pay a 2 to get him.     We traded Philip Dorsett straight up for JB.     No loss of ANY draft pick.     A straight player for player deal.

We needed a QB,  the Pats needed a WR.      

That was the deal.

I was equating draft pick for Dorsett. But I was wrong there too. Dorsett was a 1st rounder. So we gave up a 1st rounder (PD) for a third rounder (JB). 

26 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

I was equating draft pick for Dorsett. But I was wrong there too. Dorsett was a 1st rounder. So we gave up a 1st rounder (PD) for a third rounder (JB). 

Fair enough....   I hear you....   but after a year or so,  there's less concern over draft pick status.   It doesn't happen often that you're trading 1's for 1's...    or 2's for 2's.   

At some point is approximate value for approximate value.    They had a QB to trade and we needed one.    We had a WR to trade and they needed one.     At that point,  draft pick value is less important.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Fair enough....   I hear you....   but after a year or so,  there's less concern over draft pick status.   It doesn't happen often that you're trading 1's for 1's...    or 2's for 2's.   

At some point is approximate value for approximate value.    They had a QB to trade and we needed one.    We had a WR to trade and they needed one.     At that point,  draft pick value is less important.

IDK. Dorsett was coming on. I know we needed JB, but I hated to part with Dorsett after investing 2 years on him (chemistry and what not). 

And he had 2 TDs this post season for NE IIRC. NE's WR stall is now kind of crowded I think, so will be interesting to see where he ends up.

4 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

IDK. Dorsett was coming on. I know we needed JB, but I hated to part with Dorsett after investing 2 years on him (chemistry and what not). 

And he had 2 TDs this post season for NE IIRC. NE's WR stall is now kind of crowded I think, so will be interesting to see where he ends up.

I'm a Dorsett fan too.    Liked him from the start.

But something is missing.    He's now been in the league 4 years and he's yet to break out.   And now NE is letting him walk.     If he was what we all hoped he'd be,  his career would have a different arc.     I'd love to know what his problems are,  but something doesn't add up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

But something is missing.    He's now been in the league 4 years and he's yet to break out.   And now NE is letting him walk.     If he was what we all hoped he'd be,  his career would have a different arc.     I'd love to know what his problems are,  but something doesn't add up.

the stall in his arc, IMO is that we traded him lol. he was coming on well, he got traded and took some time to pick up NE's O. Then Edleman got suspended and they picked up Gordon. he improved year 1 to year 2 in both Os. IMO he's got a chance to be a solid #2 or #3 in the right system. At worst he's a good rotational guy. would not be shocked to see the Colts knock on his door if he doesn't figure something out with NE.

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree.  Value fluctuations begin immediately.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clem-Dog said:

I agree.  Value fluctuations begin immediately.  

there are always fluctuations, but if you look at what we got in terms of production, it was not the best deal. we got a second year guy and third round pick who started a couple games with stats that weren't remarkable. they got a third year guy and first round pick who was trending up stat wise. our need was bigger than theirs, so we got the short end IMO.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

I disagree.   If we were 9-4 and Luck went down, I would still like our chances in the playoffs.  JB has been with the team for long enough that the transition wouldn't be like it was when he first got here.   It would be a downgrade from Luck, but not so much that the Colts couldn't win.   

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irish YJ said:

But Ballard didn't invest a 1st round pick in Dorsett. And Luck was hurt at the time...so who knows if that chemistry (which wasn't all that strong to begin with) would even matter.

I don't think the Colts "needed" a QB. If they had...they would have already done something about it. But they were actually willingly heading into that season with Tolzien as the starter.

So ultimately, I think Ballard was just being opportunistic because of the value he was getting back.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:03 PM, NewColtsFan said:

What is funny is if you watch Lucks  highlights from the 2016 season Dorsett was in a lot of them.   Yes he was a bad pick for the Colts when he was drafted.  In hind site probably for any team at the position he was drafted. But the kid has speed and can catch the ball.  I would look to bring him back TBH .   He can stretch the field for sure and could be had for cheap.  Better than a few on the team right now

5 hours ago, DerekDiggler said:

What is funny is if you watch Lucks  highlights from the 2016 season Dorsett was in a lot of them.   Yes he was a bad pick for the Colts when he was drafted.  In hind site probably for any team at the position he was drafted. But the kid has speed and can catch the ball.  I would look to bring him back TBH .   He can stretch the field for sure and could be had for cheap.  Better than a few on the team right now

I wanted Landon Collins but quickly fell in love with the Dorsett pick. I thought Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett would light up together.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2019 at 5:34 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Are we, as Colts fans, overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?

It probably depends on how you look at our backup QB.  If you are looking at him compared to other backup QBs around the league, you are probably undervaluing him.  I could make the argument that he is the most valuable backup in the NFL.  And I think Ballard agrees.

However, if you're looking at Jacoby as trade-bait, you might be overvaluing him.  A team trading for Jacoby would want him to be their starter.  Granted, this article is written by David Carr for NFL.com, so take it with a grain of salt, but he has at least 10 other QBs ranked ahead of Brissett for other teams to consider drafting, signing as a FA, or trading for.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018216/article/ten-quarterbacks-worth-pursuing-via-tradefree-agencynfl-draft

I expected to see Brissett on that list.  When I didn't, I wondered if I'm overvaluing our backup by viewing him through my blue-colored glasses...

And I think the draft-stock of the QB prospects will only increase leading up to the draft.  I just don't see a team offering Ballard enough to part ways with Jacoby at this point.

This is not a hard question.  The market value of anything is ultimately defined by how much prospective buyers are willing to pay for it.

You may think your house is worth $1 million.  But if you list it at that price and all the offers start coming in around $600K, your house isn’t worth $1 million.

Jacoby Brissett is, fairly or unfairly, viewed as being a notch below a regular starting QB in the NFL.  He’s clearly better than most backups.  But what’s that worth?

19 minutes ago, MPStack said:

i know there are some disappointed fans here, but does anyone see JB traded today?

You never know.  But is it necessary?  Would whatever we get for him (probably a 4 this year at best) be more valuable than the insurance he provides?  I don’t think so.