Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett

Lucky Colts Fan

Are Colts fans overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?  

114 members have voted

1. 1. Are Colts fans overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?

• Overvaluing
    • Undervaluing

50 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Two options:

1. Brissett to Redskins. With the uncertainty of Alex Smith they get a cheap one year look to see if Brissett is a long term solution.

2. Brissett to Eagles. Assuming they trade Foles they will can get a cheap one year insurance policy on Carson Wentz. Brissett being with Reich should be familiar with a lot of what Philly does. Also gives them a chance to see if Wentz can make it through a season. Maybe they like Sudfeld. Who knows.

I think the Redskins make a lot of sense too... Good thoughts...

• Thanks 1

On 2/18/2019 at 8:38 PM, throwing BBZ said:

He would be MUCH more valuable to Miami in a rebuild.
That would make you WHAT?  _______   :cheers:

What exactly has Brissett done in the NFL to prove himeself.   Other than take a beating?

what has he done to deserve all this praise?

serioulsly.   I want to know. 

• Like 1

Overvaluing his Trade Value and Undervaluing how Valuable he is to this team, of course if he wants to be a starter somewhere we can't force him to stay.

I say get what we can get for him now cause he will eventually want to start and all of our chips are pretty much all in on Mr Luck staying healthy anyways.

On 2/18/2019 at 6:34 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Are we, as Colts fans, overvaluing or undervaluing Jacoby Brissett?

It probably depends on how you look at our backup QB.  If you are looking at him compared to other backup QBs around the league, you are probably undervaluing him.  I could make the argument that he is the most valuable backup in the NFL.  And I think Ballard agrees.

However, if you're looking at Jacoby as trade-bait, you might be overvaluing him.  A team trading for Jacoby would want him to be their starter.  Granted, this article is written by David Carr for NFL.com, so take it with a grain of salt, but he has at least 10 other QBs ranked ahead of Brissett for other teams to consider drafting, signing as a FA, or trading for.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001018216/article/ten-quarterbacks-worth-pursuing-via-tradefree-agencynfl-draft

I expected to see Brissett on that list.  When I didn't, I wondered if I'm overvaluing our backup by viewing him through my blue-colored glasses...

And I think the draft-stock of the QB prospects will only increase leading up to the draft.  I just don't see a team offering Ballard enough to part ways with Jacoby at this point.

First off, thoughtful post! 

I think it's just a matter of VALUING him because our philosophy seems to be (unless I missed something) get better at every position on the 53 man roster.  Of course it is all about realistic slotting of value too.  It's a super tough decision to weigh market value versus security of having a chance to win even if Luck goes down... but ONLY for one season.  And that is the rub.  If this was a case where we could keep paying him like a back up, we'd likely NEVER get rid of him through Luck's career, because as back-ups go, he's perfect.  He fits in with the culture, he's competent and prepared, he's a leader in the locker room and very well liked by his peers and coaches.  He plays his roll, but he's no wallflower either.  His value is very high to our team and he's likely as good (especially since he's in the system and ready) as any back-up QB in the league and better than probably 10 or more of the starters.  I am not sure I would want him as our full time, long term QB, but if Luck were gone, we could certainly do much worse.  So in keeping with making our team the best it can be, within the salary cap and culture, he's the man.  But the man for a year means we must already find his replacement from other QB's in the league, or later round talent in the draft.  This year I doubt that replacement even exists at a lower round.  (perhaps some of our draft geeks can point to someone).  But a "sure thing" who is perfect for what is needed in that position against enough value in a trade to ensure we either get a better replacement for 4 years OR enough draft capitol to trade for someone or draft someone who improves our team in another position of need with similar certainty.   It's like a lot of things, you'll only know the offer necessary when you see it in reality.  The offers can then be used in a value assessment of all of the above.  

I doubt they trade him.  I think with this year's draft class being pretty weak (well, that is only my opinion, but it has been some time since it was this weak) I have no doubt they will only trade him for something that would produce us a likely starter in the draft, or perhaps an ACTUAL starter in a trade versus a crap shoot.  I can't think of a solid (not "star" but solid) starting pass rusher or wide receiver who would be available, but I would love to hear from anyone who has someone in mind.  Without that as a minimum, a mid to high second round pick seems like a minimum.  That is likely something Ballard can turn into a starter. 

I'd rather keep him for his final year, (well, okay, perhaps consider a high pick in an emergency trade mid season to a team with an injury before the trade deadline) and instead sign Preston Smith and Tyrell Williams and look forward to the draft! That way we cut the risk (of Luck going down without a back up) for a large part of the season and get a much higher pick to supplement the next draft when there will likely be a better back up available on the cheap.  By then we might find some of the young QB's have worn out their welcome already in other cities and might pick up someone with untapped potential that way as well.  

It's fun to speculate.  Thanks for the post LCF! 

• Like 1

JB got a lot of positive press on NFL Radio on SiriusXM this afternoon.  Talking heads were impressed with how he filled in for Luck in 2017 and view him as a starter in the league.  Indicated that although unlikely, they wouldn’t be surprised to see him garner a 2nd rounder.  It was nice to hear his name come up.  Any hype is good hype!

Just out of curiosity, are you guys talking about the Colts trading Brissett as a "sell high" kind of thing? Or is there some level of dissatisfaction with him? I don't think they would get as much in return as some of you are thinking, and I also feel like not having a capable backup in this league is extremely risky. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, GoPats said:

Just out of curiosity, are you guys talking about the Colts trading Brissett as a "sell high" kind of thing? Or is there some level of dissatisfaction with him? I don't think they would get as much in return as some of you are thinking, and I also feel like not having a capable backup in this league is extremely risky. 

I believe you have the situation/conversation pegged.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, GoPats said:

Most talking heads say 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. There was also a rumor at the beginning of the season that we were offered a 3rd for him, we declined, and were offered a 2nd, which we also declined. But who knows.

Personally, I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder. Maybe a 3rd. Would love to keep him if we can as I think he's a good back up, but I know he believes he can be a starter. And if that's his dream, I hope he gets a shot.

If Luck were to go down (temporarily), he'd be great to fill in for a couple games. If Luck would go down with a season ending injury, honestly I'd prefer to just lose and improve our draft....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Irish YJ said:

Most talking heads say 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. There was also a rumor at the beginning of the season that we were offered a 3rd for him, we declined, and were offered a 2nd, which we also declined. But who knows.

Personally, I'd trade him in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder. Maybe a 3rd. Would love to keep him if we can as I think he's a good back up, but I know he believes he can be a starter. And if that's his dream, I hope he gets a shot.

If Luck were to go down (temporarily), he'd be great to fill in for a couple games. If Luck would go down with a season ending injury, honestly I'd prefer to just lose and improve our draft....

Sorry,  but the only "talking heads" saying JB might bring the Colts a 2nd or 3rd round pick are the people here on this website.

What may, or may not have happened a year ago is a year ago.     Time and circumstances have changed.

And no one is talking about a 2nd or 3rd round pick now.     No one.

Except Colts fan.     That's it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry,  but the only "talking heads" saying JB might bring the Colts a 2nd or 3rd round pick are the people here on this website.

What may, or may not have happened a year ago is a year ago.     Time and circumstances have changed.

And no one is talking about a 2nd or 3rd round pick now.     No one.

Except Colts fan.     That's it.

Stop with the arrogance.     Your wrong!!!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2817603-with-andrew-luck-healthy-jacoby-brissett-should-be-nfls-hottest-qb-target.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.stampedeblue.com/platform/amp/2019/1/25/18196255/could-colts-trade-jacoby-brissett

23 minutes ago, DerekDiggler said:

Thanks.     Appreciate you posting these.     I haven't seen either of those stories before.

That said.     I'd be embarrassed if I had been the author of either story.   

One said he thinks an appropriate asking price is a "Jimmy Garapollo-like 2nd round pick."

The other link proposed a multiple package of picks 2/4/5 PLUS Landon Collins for the Colts in exchange for a 3 and Brissett.  

Again.    Embarrassing stuff.     Amateur hour.     Not to be taken seriously.     But feel free to.

Oh, and it's nice that in addition to pointing out that I was wrong (never have a problem with anyone pointing out when I'm wrong)  you thought it was necessary to include YET ANOTHER shot about "your arrogance."

So,  I'll answer this way.....        my arrogance will outlast you with ease.       

And "your" arrogance is correctly spelled  YOU'RE.    As in YOU ARE.

Feel free to learn the English Language.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks.     Appreciate you posting these.     I haven't seen either of those stories before.

That said.     I'd be embarrassed if I had been the author of either story.   

One said he thinks an appropriate asking price is a "Jimmy Garapollo-like 2nd round pick."

The other link proposed a multiple package of picks 2/4/5 PLUS Landon Collins for the Colts in exchange for a 3 and Brissett.  

Again.    Embarrassing stuff.     Amateur hour.     Not to be taken seriously.     But feel free to.

Oh, and it's nice that in addition to pointing out that I was wrong (never have a problem with anyone pointing out when I'm wrong)  you thought it was necessary to include YET ANOTHER shot about "your arrogance."

So,  I'll answer this way.....        my arrogance will outlast you with ease.       

And "your" arrogance is correctly spelled  YOU'RE.    As in YOU ARE.

Feel free to learn the English Language.

Actually, "your arrogance", is correctly spelled "your", in the possessive. He did make a grammatical error using "your wrong", which should have been "you're wrong". But your use was incorrect as well. 

And.. you do come across as arrogant.

I've heard several talking heads on ESPN's NFL tonight say 2nd or 3rd round as well as the NFL channel. I've also read several places. I believe one on NFL.com. I doubt though any of those sources would please you, as your opinion is obviously better than paid authors.

You probably thought getting a 3rd for Tyrod Taylor (originally a 6th round pick)  or Teddy Bridgewater (coming off a bad injury) was crazy too.

1 hour ago, DerekDiggler said:

Follow-up....

Ironically, I accidentally misquoted you.

I wrongly made reference to you saying "your arrogance."    Ironic,  because if you had,  you'd have been correct.

But what you actually wrote is "your wrong!".      And that was the wrong use of the wrong word. You need "you're"...     and THEN you would've been right.

Oh well....    my bad.

Carry on.   Keep bashing me.    You'll figure it out sooner or later.   Or not.   I really don't care.

13 hours ago, Myles said:

Many on here are over-valuing the value we could get in return.    I think we would get a 4th or possibly a 3rd.    Now we may be able to get a trade for a player that a team wants to get rid of.  

Really? You don't think we could pull a two out of someone? He was obviously on a losing team but I can only recall a couple games that season that he cost us, and we were in most of the games he started but the line was the worst in the NFL and I doubt Luck would have gotten us much above the same 8-8 of the previous two seasons and he's considered a top 5 QB by many.  Beyond soldiering through a brutal season, I am not sure what else he could have done really.  I also wonder how much they wanted to win, especially once they knew Luck was out for the season (and who knows how long they knew THAT) and perhaps it was a bit of a tank job by management to get a high pick.  If we're only getting a 4 we should laugh and move on with him all season.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JPFolks said:

Really? You don't think we could pull a two out of someone? He was obviously on a losing team but I can only recall a couple games that season that he cost us, and we were in most of the games he started but the line was the worst in the NFL and I doubt Luck would have gotten us much above the same 8-8 of the previous two seasons and he's considered a top 5 QB by many.  Beyond soldiering through a brutal season, I am not sure what else he could have done really.  I also wonder how much they wanted to win, especially once they knew Luck was out for the season (and who knows how long they knew THAT) and perhaps it was a bit of a tank job by management to get a high pick.  If we're only getting a 4 we should laugh and move on with him all season.  

I really don't see us getting a 2nd round pick for him.    That's not to say that I don't think he could be a good starter.   I just don't think the market will dictate anyone offering that much for him.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

We could trade him to the Steelers for AB. They get a QB after Big Ben steps down and we get a play making headache...

I actually had the Steelers as a potential suitor even before the AB situation.  Ben was contemplating retiring last year and Brissett would be perfect for them.  I actually think they would do your suggested trade.

This is absolutely crazy. No one on this board knows what he would bring but some are attacking others for their opinion as if they have a crystal ball. Everyone should be entitled to their opinion without  being attacked by some condescending remarks from another who has no idea what JB could bring in a trade. Let's wait a month or so and then one group will actually be able to say "see, I told you so!".

• Like 2

On 2/21/2019 at 9:14 AM, hoosierhawk said:

This is absolutely crazy. No one on this board knows what he would bring but some are attacking others for their opinion as if they have a crystal ball. Everyone should be entitled to their opinion without  being attacked by some condescending remarks from another who has no idea what JB could bring in a trade. Let's wait a month or so and then one group will actually be able to say "see, I told you so!".

'

Agree with the post

We are all Colts fans ......... that's a good thing, and a good starting point

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 3:47 AM, austriancolt said:

Brissett is a good QB but he has only one year left on his contract. Without Luck Colts are screwed anyway so trading Brissett makes perfect sense. Even if you just get a 3rd rounder. Next year you will get nothing...

I once thought the same thing.     Turns out,  I was wrong.

Superman reminded us all that if we keep Brissett to back-up Luck in 19,  then he goes elsewhere to sign and play,  we will get a compensation pick.     Possibly a 4 or maybe a 5 or a 6.     

And that's not nothing.    Just saying...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I once thought the same thing.     Turns out,  I was wrong.

Superman reminded us all that if we keep Brissett to back-up Luck in 19,  then he goes elsewhere to sign and play,  we will get a compensation pick.     Possibly a 4 or maybe a 5 or a 6.     

And that's not nothing.    Just saying...

we could get nothing depending on how much he signs for and ends up playing.  they still have not revealed the exact formula, but the wiki says salary is the biggest factor

he might end up a back up somewhere else and not play much.  moncrief got almost 10 million and played 16 games and that got us a 4th.  JB will probably be in the 5-6 range if anything 

they only give out 32 max, so there is no guarantee we get one at all

40 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

we could get nothing depending on how much he signs for and ends up playing.  they still have not revealed the exact formula, but the wiki says salary is the biggest factor

he might end up a back up somewhere else and not play much.  moncrief got almost 10 million and played 16 games and that got us a 4th.  JB will probably be in the 5-6 range if anything 

they only give out 32 max, so there is no guarantee we get one at all

There are no guarantees,  but odds are we might get something.

If Brissett is going to a team that is going to give him an opportunity to play,  then, in theory,  he'd be paid a decent salary and that would bring us a pick.

I'm just thinking out loud.    I don't speak with confidence in this area.    But I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that we'd receive.....    some pick.

If I am a GM, I look and say-

What does Indy want up front?  It it isn't unreasonable (like a 1st or 2nd round pick would be), then How well does he play? 

If poorly (Under .500 season) then it was capital and a year on a backup QB used as a starter.

If he plays well, then is it enough of a sample size to bank on signing him to a $25+ million plus range contract he will ask for over many years?

On 2/21/2019 at 7:14 AM, hoosierhawk said:

Everyone IS entitled to their own opinion.

But your post is an attempt to make everyone the same.    We all know the same.    No one knows more than anyone else.    Why do we even have emoji's to award a good post?    There are no good posts,  because all the posts are equally good because everyone's opinion, views,  and knowledge are all the same.

How nice.

Oh,  I'm sorry.   This post might be viewed as condescending.    I, like everyone else,  know nothing.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:47 AM, austriancolt said:

Brissett is a good QB but he has only one year left on his contract. Without Luck Colts are screwed anyway so trading Brissett makes perfect sense. Even if you just get a 3rd rounder. Next year you will get nothing...

I agree! I would trade Brissett for a 3rd right now. But if we don't and he goes somewhere and starts and is half way efficient in FA in 2020.  We could get as high as a 3rd round comp draft pick for him in 2021. 

Bleacher Report is out with another article entitled "Draft mistake every team must avoid".  For the Colts;  Leaving draft weekend with the same QB room.  Jacoby Brissett shouldn't be a member of the Colts after draft weekend they say.  Colts should trade him for more draft ammo in this years draft.  As many as 8 teams need QB's and there are not enough of them to fill the need.  Even with the draft and other FA QB's available.  There are so many unknowns and question marks with this years group of available QB's they write.  They think the Colts would be making a mistake not moving him this year.  I think they hit the nail on the head with that suggestion. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Everyone IS entitled to their own opinion.

But your post is an attempt to make everyone the same.    We all know the same.    No one knows more than anyone else.    Why do we even have emoji's to award a good post?    There are no good posts,  because all the posts are equally good because everyone's opinion, views,  and knowledge are all the same.

How nice.

Oh,  I'm sorry.   This post might be viewed as condescending.    I, like everyone else,  know nothing.

You are right NCF, I do view your post as condescending. I stated in my post quite clearly that everyone is entitled to their opinion. But as you stated in another post, you really don't care. What is stated is everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree 100%. Some one posts two articles when you said only people on this sight believes he has much value but your retort was these sports writer are wrong or misinformed as if you know more than they do as well as people on this board who put a higher value on him than you do. Sorry I disagree with your views on this as I have respected your opinions in the past.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:08 AM, JPFolks said:

If we're only getting a 4 we should laugh and move on with him all season.  

I totally agree.

Ballard has said he liked having Brissett around for insurance in case Luck missed any games. Has said he sleeps better at night. :dunno:

I am curious as to know if Brissett would stay if Ballard offered him a fair contract? I don't know what that number would be either.

43 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Bleacher Report is out with another article entitled "Draft mistake every team must avoid".  For the Colts;  Leaving draft weekend with the same QB room.  Jacoby Brissett shouldn't be a member of the Colts after draft weekend they say.  Colts should trade him for more draft ammo in this years draft.  As many as 8 teams need QB's and there are not enough of them to fill the need.  Even with the draft and other FA QB's available.  There are so many unknowns and question marks with this years group of available QB's they write.  They think the Colts would be making a mistake not moving him this year.  I think they hit the nail on the head with that suggestion. 

On the other hand is one round worth not having Brissett as insurance for a year?

IMO we wound be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him in a trade. If we keep him and he moves on we should get a 4th round comp pick for him.

I have a feeling Ballard does not want Brissett to leave so he may offer him a contract enough for him to stay? I know Brissett wants to be a starter but sometimes money will change a mind.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

On the other hand is one round worth not having Brissett as insurance for a year?

IMO we wound be lucky to get a 3rd round pick for him in a trade. If we keep him and he moves on we should get a 4th round comp pick for him.

I have a feeling Ballard does not want Brissett to leave so he may offer him a contract enough for him to stay? I know Brissett wants to be a starter but sometimes money will change a mind.

The bolded combined with getting that pick a round earlier a year earlier is a definite yes. Ballard can say it's not about Luck all he wants. We can't beat KC or NE with Luck, let alone Brissett. So I don't believe in the way of the playoffs, that if Luck goes down, that Brissett would matter. If we are so concerned that Luck would go down and we need Brissett for a game or two, we could literally sign a veteran like Bridgewater, or draft a mid-round rookie to take his place and start the process over for 4 more years. 

Unless Brissett is 100% staying, the pick is more beneficial at this point IMO, even if you use it on a rookie mid-round QB to start the process over on a backup. At least you know you have him for 4 years. If you get a different position, that could help as well for an additional 4 years as opposed to 1 with Brissett.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's the calculation Ballard has to make.  But he knows there are many veteran QB's that could fill his role.  As far as picks even a 3rd. rd pick is better than any comp pick we receive because all comp picks are at the end of the round I believe.  If I had to guess Brissett would love to hit FA just like any other player.  If he was older he might stick around but he's young and I think he wants to play.   He can settle for a backup down the road if he wants. 

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

That's the calculation Ballard has to make.  But he knows there are many veteran QB's that could fill his role.  As far as picks even a 3rd. rd pick is better than any comp pick we receive because all comp picks are at the end of the round I believe.  If I had to guess Brissett would love to hit FA just like any other player.  If he was older he might stick around but he's young and I think he wants to play.   He can settle for a backup down the road if he wants. 

You seem to think we can just go out and sign a decent vet QB? There are 31 other teams in the NFL.

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You seem to think we can just go out and sign a decent vet QB? There are 31 other teams in the NFL.

It might not be that difficult really.  If I was a veteran I think I would look to sign with a team that has a chance at a SB.  Colts definitely fit that definition. Might be their last chance.  One just crossed my mind if he was free.  Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He and Luck should be able to get along.  A Stanford grad and an IVY league grad.  Not to mention the beards.  LOL

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It might not be that difficult really.  If I was a veteran I think I would look to sign with a team that has a chance at a SB.  Colts definitely fit that definition. Might be their last chance.  One just crossed my mind if he was free.  Ryan Fitzpatrick.  He and Luck should be able to get along.  A Stanford grad and an IVY league grad.  Not to mention the beards.  LOL

Andrew's neck beard would not hold up to Ryan's. haha

• Like 1

On 2/24/2019 at 4:52 PM, hoosierhawk said:

You are right NCF, I do view your post as condescending. I stated in my post quite clearly that everyone is entitled to their opinion. But as you stated in another post, you really don't care. What is stated is everyone is entitled to their opinion. I agree 100%. Some one posts two articles when you said only people on this sight believes he has much value but your retort was these sports writer are wrong or misinformed as if you know more than they do as well as people on this board who put a higher value on him than you do. Sorry I disagree with your views on this as I have respected your opinions in the past.

I apologize in advance for my following comments...    I’ve said this before and I know it bothers some.   But it can’t be helped.   And a heads up...   this will be a long post. 

You know who I am, right?    Media guy.   30 years in the business.   I can spot a badly written or thought through article a mile away.

I don’t believe Stampede Blue (which I like but don’t love) is monitized.  That means they don’t make money.   The people who work on the site are, for the most part,  not professional.    They’re just members who have shown enough and are devoted enough to do the work for free.   Doesn’t mean they know proper valuations and what makes a fair and proper deal.  

By the way,  in the interest of fairness Colts.com stole Stampede’s best writer a year ago and he now works for us.  Forgive me, I’m having a senior moment and I can’t temember his name, but he’s good and I am very happy we stole him.  

The other site had Brissett rated with Jimmy Garapollo.   I rolled my eyes the moment I read that.   These are written BY fans FOR fans.   I know amateur work when I read it.   

I don't have to agree with a writer to know if he’s a good professional writer or not.  I disagree with plenty of professionals.   It’s about the explanations they give for the positions they take.  It’s about the arguments they can make to support a position.   

Sorry,  I’m a pro and I recognize other pros and I also can spot a Fan Boy amateur.   And that’s what I thought of those two articles.   You’re free to disagree, I’m just explaining my position.

Apologies again for dropping the “Do you know who I am?” card.  I’m not comfortable doing that,  but I never know who does and doesn’t know my background.   Media is my area of expertise. 

PS — I don’t know where you got the idea that I don’t care about other people’s opinions.   Completely false.   I wouldn’t spend the amount of time I do here if I didn’t value the opinions of others here — including yours!

That comment,  you’ve taken out of context,  was intended for one poster who took time to deliver not one, not two, but three shots at me in one day after I had taken exactly ZERO shots at him.   A new poster who was looking for a fight.   I simply dismissed him telling him he might figure things out someday...    or maybe not.   That I didn’t care one way or the other.   But that was about that one poster.  Not about the community.   The community here I love.  And wouldn’t be here if I didn’t.   

• Like 1