Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dolphins Targeting Jacoby Brissett

The tweet is a couple days old maybe this was posted somewhere else and I missed it if so I'm so sorry. Don't know how reliable this source is. 

Hopefully we throw a pick in and shoot for Xavien Howard!

Maybe their second rounder if we are really lucky; especially considering Flacco went for a fourth. (probably no chance but I can hope for the best)

Any other trade thoughts?!

• Like 1

A lot of people think Brissett won't bring back much in a trade.  The fact that makes him so appealing is he is only going to make 2 million next year.  Would u rather trade up  in the draft or  take a chance on a guy who has started in the league with mixed results for a very low price? 

8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

A lot of people think Brissett won't bring back much in a trade.  The fact that makes him so appealing is he is only going to make 2 million next year.  Would u rather trade up  in the draft or  take a chance on a guy who has started in the league with mixed results for a very low price? 

Probably take a shot on Xavien honestly. Yes, the results were mixed, but I think he has "improved" every year. We had good luck with Desir and Moore. They both improved. I think he may have great potential. Personally I think that's what I would do. 

45 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I feel like the teams that are looking for a cheap quarterback wouldn't be willing to drop a 2nd anyways, if they are trying to keep assets/money. 

51 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I feel like the teams that are looking for a cheap quarterback wouldn't be willing to drop a 2nd anyways, if they are trying to keep assets/money. 

I don't think it's entirely about the money and being a cheaper acquisition.  It's also his age, leadership, bigger upside, no injury issues, experience.  He has a lot of supporters and fans in the coaching ranks. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

For me I would take the mixed results on a bad team without him having the benefit of a training camp.  He was a 3rd. rd. pick himself by Belicheck.  Trading up will cost you dearly. 

1 hour ago, FirsTime said:

The tweet is a couple days old maybe this was posted somewhere else and I missed it if so I'm so sorry. Don't know how reliable this source is. 

Hopefully we throw a pick in and shoot for Xavien Howard!

Maybe their second rounder if we are really lucky; especially considering Flacco went for a fourth. (probably no chance but I can hope for the best)

Any other trade thoughts?!

I like your thinking.  I don't think the Dolphins will be the only team to see the light.  

29 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I like your thinking.  I don't think the Dolphins will be the only team to see the light.  

Maybe Denver or Washington due to cap space. I'm hoping we get a player in return if he ends up going anywhere. I wouldn't complain about getting a pick either. 

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If DeAndre Baker falls past Denver, I wouldn't mind trading pick #26 and Brissett to the Dolphins in order to acquire him. That would be a deal both teams might agree to if the Dolphins are indeed interested.

I can get behind this but not just for DeAndre Baker maybe a pass rusher or interior D-line will fall. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FirsTime said:

Maybe Denver or Washington due to cap space. I'm hoping we get a player in return if he ends up going anywhere. I wouldn't complain about getting a pick either. 

I can get behind this but not just for DeAndre Baker maybe a pass rusher or interior D-line will fall. 

Maybe Jachai Polite will fall or even Devin White. There's some decent options at the #13 spot. Not sure if Montez Sweat is worth the #13 pick, but he might be with the combine and pro day coming up.

• Like 1

The Colts would be smart to trade Jacoby, but I don't see it happening before the Draft.

- Andrew Luck is healthy.

- Jacoby is leaving Indy after next season regardless to be a starter.

- Chris Ballard has proven he can draft some gems and I trust him to do the same with the pick we get for Brissett.

• Like 1

FWI I read an article recently suggesting the Eagles might be open to trading Nelson Agular due to cap issues.  They don't have much cap space and he's going to count 9.5m. with a 5th. yr option coming up.  Reich knows him well and Wentz is not a sure thing to play a whole season.  Another possibility for a package to be worked out.  Not the perfect situation for Brissett but it sounds on the surface that they could be another possibility. 

• Like 1

The Dolphins have tons of needs besides QB (WR, RB, OL, Edge, etc..) so they’re not going to give up a crazy high pick for him. I’d expect a 4th if it was for picks. Remember Ballard said he would have to be blown away by an offer though. What I think is more likely is they offer to swap 1st round picks and we swap our late 2nd for their early 2nd. So Ballard would end up with 3 picks (Jets 2nd rounder) in the top 48 picks, including a top 15 pick. At 13 you have a shot at Christian Wilkins, Clelin Ferrell, Brian Burns, and Devin White. That’s probably too good to pass up, even for Ballard.

Ballard also said that he’d want to do what’s right for Jacoby, and he wouldn’t just send him anywhere. The Dolphins fit that criteria. New HC who has familiarity with Jacoby (the OC does too). They’re in a good market which will help with endorsements for him. It’s also becoming a young team so he fits in. Plus their QB coach is Jim Caldwell who would be great for him. 

Ballard doesn’t want to trade Jacoby and for all this talk, he might not. However if there was a team that he’d trade him to, it would be the Dolphins.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

FWI I read an article recently suggesting the Eagles might be open to trading Nelson Agular due to cap issues.  They don't have much cap space and he's going to count 9.5m. with a 5th. yr option coming up.  Reich knows him well and Wentz is not a sure thing to play a whole season.  Another possibility for a package to be worked out.  Not the perfect situation for Brissett but it sounds on the surface that they could be another possibility. 

While I don't think the Eagles will be interested in Brissett, I can see the Colts being interested in Agholor given the Reich connection.

39 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Dolphins have tons of needs besides QB (WR, RB, OL, Edge, etc..) so they’re not going to give up a crazy high pick for him. I’d expect a 4th if it was for picks. Remember Ballard said he would have to be blown away by an offer though. What I think is more likely is they offer to swap 1st round picks and we swap our late 2nd for their early 2nd. So Ballard would end up with 3 picks (Jets 2nd rounder) in the top 48 picks, including a top 15 pick. At 13 you have a shot at Christian Wilkins, Clelin Ferrell, Brian Burns, and Devin White. That’s probably too good to pass up, even for Ballard.

Ballard also said that he’d want to do what’s right for Jacoby, and he wouldn’t just send him anywhere. The Dolphins fit that criteria. New HC who has familiarity with Jacoby (the OC does too). They’re in a good market which will help with endorsements for him. It’s also becoming a young team so he fits in. Plus their QB coach is Jim Caldwell who would be great for him. 

Ballard doesn’t want to trade Jacoby and for all this talk, he might not. However if there was a team that he’d trade him to, it would be the Dolphins.

For all of the reasons you stated and the reported interest from Miami  I think a trade to the Dolphins makes a lot of sense.  Because there are so many ways to work out the compensation I have a feeling the two teams will find a way to make it happen. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

How likely do you think this scenario is, because it sounds amazing. I'd be absolutely thrilled if that happened, and everyone seemingly wins. 

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That is a ton of value for the Dolphins to give up in draft capital. I think they would trade a future 1st round pick before agreeing to that.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

This is precisely the scenario, however unlikely, that I had in mind.... flip-flopping 1st and 2nd round (# 58) draft positions with Miami for Brisette.

A similar scenario could work with the Redskins... should they express interest. 

12 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Def.....

I'll give you props for some quality outside-the-box thinking.    Moving Brissett in a deal where we are swapping picks is a very good idea.

But you have one big problem and the math simply doesn't add up.  

Follow....

You say that if Brissett is moved for picks,  he'd bring a 4th.   I don't disagree.    But even the best 4th round pick is worth about 100 points.    The worst is down about 50.

Then you say we'd trade Brissett to Miami in order to flip both our first AND our second round picks.    Here's where the idea goes off the rails.     The difference in points for just the 2nd round pick,  our pick 58 and Miami's pick, is 100 points.    Trading Brissett for that deal is perfect. 

But you also think we're going to flip first round picks.   And the problem is Miami's pick is worth 450 more points than our pick 26.   450.     Brissett is not making up that difference.   Not even close.      You yourself valued him at roughly 100 points.     So flipping 2nd's is a great idea,  and I'd do it in a heart beat!.    But there's no chance that we're flipping first round picks just for Brissett.    We'd have to offer much, much more to do that.    And odds are,  that would be a non-starter for Ballard.

Brissett for flipping 2's is great.     I'd pull that trigger.

Brissett for flipping 2's and our first is going to die a quick death.    Miami would never ever go for that.

Points for the idea.    You just took it a big step too far.

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brissett for flipping 2's is great.     I'd pull that trigger. 

I'm all for moving JB for the right price, but there is no way I trade him just to move up from 58 to 48. I don't think that's even close to an offer Ballard would accept.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, esmort said:

I'm all for moving JB for the right price, but there is no way I trade him just to move up from 58 to 48. I don't think that's even close to an offer Ballard would accept.

That's roughly the price of a high 4th round pick which Defjamz said he thought Brissett would bring.     The question is.....    is that enough for Ballard to do a deal?     You seem to think no...      I'm guessing yes....     no way to know...   

I know that's how you based your value.  But, regardless of what the value chart says; barring some unforeseen draft development I just don't see the value there. I would probably keep JB for anything less than a 3rd. Even if I were going to take 4th rnd compensation for him I think would rather have the actual extra 4th round pick than the moving up 10 picks in the middle of the second. Maybe if moving up 10 picks put us at the top of the 2nd or end of the 1st, but lower 2nd to middle 2nd ... Meh ... no thanks.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's roughly the price of a high 4th round pick which Defjamz said he thought Brissett would bring.     The question is.....    is that enough for Ballard to do a deal?     You seem to think no...      I'm guessing yes....     no way to know...   

Based on the value chart, it's more like an early 2nd round pick... around 8th position is 2nd round roughly 500 points. Moving up 26 to 13 (400) and 59 to 48 (100).

But I think that is every bit of where Ballard realistically values Brissett. So I think he absolutely would do it. 

20 hours ago, shastamasta said:

That is a ton of value for the Dolphins to give up in draft capital. I think they would trade a future 1st round pick before agreeing to that.

Not necessarily. They’d be getting a franchise QB and still getting to keep their first and 2nd round picks. That’d actually be a steal for them considering they have a lot of needs. Usually when you trade for a franchise QB you have to give up a 1st rounder and then worry about giving him help next year.  The Dolphins could acquire Brissett from us and then draft a WR at 26 to pair with him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I also think that the Dolphins are serious enough if they are the ones reaching out. Ballard will negotiate with the discipline to walk away if it isn't good enough.

What they would be serious about is dumping  Devante Parker to us for Brissett and a late pick to start negotiations. They do not NEED JB to tank.

Just now, throwing BBZ said:

What they would be serious about is dumping  Devante Parker to us for Brissett and a late pick to start negotiations. They do not NEED JB to tank.

From what I have been reading they are going to cut Parker for cap reasons.  No reason to trade for him unless you don't think you can sign him after his release. 

17 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

If you want other opinions about this.  Go look at the dolphins fan forum.  They have a link about it to on there and they are not to happy about it! 

If they go for Brissett, I'm guessing it's a Brissett and draft a future starter type combo move, and I highly doubt we're getting a 2nd for him.  

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

From what I have been reading they are going to cut Parker for cap reasons.  No reason to trade for him unless you don't think you can sign him after his release. 

Parker has no dead cap costs, and at $9M and his spotty career why keep him if they are going into a dump season. But they would be Fools not to see if there is trade value (suckers :funny:) for him. Colts FANS here are Demanding CB signs a $$$ FA. Parker could be Great Again in OUR system Miami says.  :thmup:
chuckle
 So anyway, i can see why Miami NEEDS JB and should pay dearly for him, in my Football Dreams. Their Owner, Coach and OC don't want to look like total dodoo to their Season ticket fans.
 Why i heard rumours JB didn't have a dropped ball since training camp. He has been Aweeeeee some.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah...no way a post hype WR on an expensive 5th year option is worth Brissett. At best, I think it adds no value to a trade because you have to pay him $9.4M...and his production and health are big question marks.

That being said, I wouldn't mind signing Parker to a cheap one year deal.