Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL vs Colin K settled

Four2itus

On 2/15/2019 at 9:14 PM, ReMeDy said:

I find it an interesting coincidence they settled once the AAF unfolded to good ratings.

I think it had more to do with the status of the lawsuit.  I feel the NFL didn't want emails, etc... going public in discovery.  (maybe no smoking gun though, as hinted at by prosecuting side). $ numbers were floated and finally one agreed upon.  We'll likely never know the full details either.

I imagine Kaepernick knew he was going to get hounded with questions like, "If you feel teams are refusing to sign you, then why not play in the AAF?"

He was asked many times, but he wanted 20 million a year to play. This in a strict equal salary based league.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/colin-kaepernick-wanted-20-million-to-play-for-aaf-per-report/1ppf0e0knfc9c15etextlvg7ub

Nevermind the fact he turned down the Broncos, but we're not supposed to know that.

The fact the Broncos and San Francisco had a trade deal in place, but Kaepernick wouldn't agree to a restructured contract in going to Denver probably cut a hole in their collusion lawsuit. But the NFL just wanted 'it' to go away without any public disclosure of any aspect.  And they did it while Kaep got paid, but not because he played.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents. 

Lets see what the player(s) do with the money. If they use the money to help with their beliefs its a win for everybody really. 

I am against the kneeling during the Anthem because this is the ONE TIME (usually) everybody is UNITED. 

The public will probably never know the true numbers.  

As far as the "hush" money. In a current lawsuit company "X" asked to be removed from lawsuit but says they will stand behind Defendant 100%.   Lawsuit against defendant x amount of dollars, with the removed co defendant XXX amount of dollars.   Company X doesn't want their name attached to the negative situation for public and financial reasons (insurance rates, lawyers ect).

On 2/19/2019 at 11:52 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Unfortunately there is no answer which leads to everyone getting along and there are very few escapes from the real world problems.   Because these real world problems that many of us just see on TV are real life for a lot of people.

I'll give you an example hopefully without being too political.  I have 3 kids, 2 of them have autism.  My sons are receiving clinical therapy and will likely soon be receiving ABA therapy.  (we are on a waiting list) 

You can google this but ABA therapy generally costs between $46,000 and $60,000 per year for 1 person (I have 2).   I don't have that kind of money. . . that is more than full tuition with no financial aid at Harvard.  And the thing is you can get loans for full tuition at Harvard (but most who need that would receive aid and not have to pay full tuition.)  But you can not get loans for ABA therapy.  And I don't think I need to tell you that not a lot of people have the 46k to drop for a year of ABA therapy for one kid on hand much less the money to drop for 2 kids.  

Fortunately the law currently allows for the tax payers to help with that.  My cousin also had a daughter with autism who needed ABA therapy before that law existed.  She and her husband sold their house to try to get her one year of ABA therapy.  Then her daughter died of an un-diagnosed brain tumor, age 8.  To be fair, nothing would have saved her daughters life but I did mention this to give the full story of what happened.   

Now if my kids don't receive ABA therapy they go to special ed classes at school, they require us to take care of them until we are too old to do so, then they live out the rest of their days at a group home similar to the one my wife works at.  If they do. . . living a full independent life for them is entirely possible, maybe even romantic relationships, marriage, children. . . Maybe, it's possible but likely not realistic  This is a reality that I face every minute of my life.  It's not one I can escape.  

There are however a lot of people that want to do away with the law effectively resigning my children to a life dependent upon their parents and then later dependent upon a group home.  

So yeah look I would like to get along with people and all.  But I don't get to escape this problem and it's hard for me to get along with someone who advocates this kind of thing.  Because when I hear that all I hear is someone saying "Forget your kids, I don't care"

For Colin K and others.  This is the life they live every single day.  It's not one they get to escape either.  

Politics sucks quite frankly.  It's a nasty business.  It isn't easy.  Because with a vote you can make a person's life much much better or you could end all of their hopes and dreams for themselves and for their children.   

The people who have the luxury to look at politics as just something that might affect their pocketbook a little bit or something very theoretical that they can escape from if only players would stop kneeling at football games.  Those are some very blessed people.  Quite frankly I'd like to go back to that myself.  But I had kids and those days are over for me.  Colin and others never got a single day of that in their lives.  Odds are as my kids get older they won't get that either because as soon as they are old enough to understand the concept they will come to realize that they will have to fight twice as hard as most others to get anything.  At least I had that while I was young.  

Thank you for sharing that. I wish I could give this 100 Likes. If someone does not get this, they are incapable of having empathy. 

I am sorry to hear about your children. I hope they will get that therapy. Thankfully the law allows it to be paid for at this time. Let's hope that continues. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2019 at 10:52 AM, Valpo2004 said:

Unfortunately there is no answer which leads to everyone getting along and there are very few escapes from the real world problems.   Because these real world problems that many of us just see on TV are real life for a lot of people.

I'll give you an example hopefully without being too political.  I have 3 kids, 2 of them have autism.  My sons are receiving clinical therapy and will likely soon be receiving ABA therapy.  (we are on a waiting list) 

You can google this but ABA therapy generally costs between $46,000 and $60,000 per year for 1 person (I have 2).   I don't have that kind of money. . . that is more than full tuition with no financial aid at Harvard.  And the thing is you can get loans for full tuition at Harvard (but most who need that would receive aid and not have to pay full tuition.)  But you can not get loans for ABA therapy.  And I don't think I need to tell you that not a lot of people have the 46k to drop for a year of ABA therapy for one kid on hand much less the money to drop for 2 kids.  

Fortunately the law currently allows for the tax payers to help with that.  My cousin also had a daughter with autism who needed ABA therapy before that law existed.  She and her husband sold their house to try to get her one year of ABA therapy.  Then her daughter died of an un-diagnosed brain tumor, age 8.  To be fair, nothing would have saved her daughters life but I did mention this to give the full story of what happened.   

Now if my kids don't receive ABA therapy they go to special ed classes at school, they require us to take care of them until we are too old to do so, then they live out the rest of their days at a group home similar to the one my wife works at.  If they do. . . living a full independent life for them is entirely possible, maybe even romantic relationships, marriage, children. . . Maybe, it's possible but likely not realistic  This is a reality that I face every minute of my life.  It's not one I can escape.  

There are however a lot of people that want to do away with the law effectively resigning my children to a life dependent upon their parents and then later dependent upon a group home.  

So yeah look I would like to get along with people and all.  But I don't get to escape this problem and it's hard for me to get along with someone who advocates this kind of thing.  Because when I hear that all I hear is someone saying "Forget your kids, I don't care"

For Colin K and others.  This is the life they live every single day.  It's not one they get to escape either.  

Politics sucks quite frankly.  It's a nasty business.  It isn't easy.  Because with a vote you can make a person's life much much better or you could end all of their hopes and dreams for themselves and for their children.   

The people who have the luxury to look at politics as just something that might affect their pocketbook a little bit or something very theoretical that they can escape from if only players would stop kneeling at football games.  Those are some very blessed people.  Quite frankly I'd like to go back to that myself.  But I had kids and those days are over for me.  Colin and others never got a single day of that in their lives.  Odds are as my kids get older they won't get that either because as soon as they are old enough to understand the concept they will come to realize that they will have to fight twice as hard as most others to get anything.  At least I had that while I was young.  

Valpo, thanks for sharing your story and I am sorry to hear about your children that have autism and the strain that must put on your and your family.  I will be praying for you and your children and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know, sometimes it's easier to ask for help from a stranger than someone you know.

I do want to address the part about tax payer help.  After my child was born, we were getting ready to take him home and the nurse noticed he was having seizures, after some diagnosis they discovered he had bleeding on the brain and they sent him to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit).  When it was all said and done with the NICU, follow up visits, etc the total bill was over $650,000, should tax payers have helped paying that?

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Valpo, thanks for sharing your story and I am sorry to hear about your children that have autism and the strain that must put on your and your family.  I will be praying for you and your children and if there is anything I can do to help, let me know, sometimes it's easier to ask for help from a stranger than someone you know.

I do want to address the part about tax payer help.  After my child was born, we were getting ready to take him home and the nurse noticed he was having seizures, after some diagnosis they discovered he had bleeding on the brain and they sent him to the NICU (neonatal intensive care unit).  When it was all said and done with the NICU, follow up visits, etc the total bill was over $650,000, should tax payers have helped paying that?

Certainly if it was a bill that you could not afford and was life and death for your child.  Now if you could afford it or more likely you could afford the health insurance that covered, that it is less concerning.  

But I'm the last person to think a parent should have to go bankrupt or sell everything they own to try to save the life of their child or give them the opportunity to live independently.  

20 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for sharing that. I wish I could give this 100 Likes. If someone does not get this, they are incapable of having empathy. 

I am sorry to hear about your children. I hope they will get that therapy. Thankfully the law allows it to be paid for at this time. Let's hope that continues. 

I mostly typed all that up to try to help people understand why players are kneeling and why the whole idea of the NFL as an escape doesn't fly with me.  

I understand why people want an escape.  But at the same time when other people don't get to escape their fates brought on by politics, I'm not going to get mad at them when they ruin your escape.   Because I understand the feeling of not being able to escape myself.  

My wife and I have talked about this, and it's really stressful when we are sitting and knowing we are one vote in congress away from 30 years from now looking for a good group home for our kids.  

• Like 2