Jump to content
Four2itus

NFL vs Colin K settled

Recommended Posts

I find it an interesting coincidence they settled once the AAF unfolded to good ratings. I imagine Kaepernick knew he was going to get hounded with questions like, "If you feel teams are refusing to sign you, then why not play in the AAF?"

Nevermind the fact he turned down the Broncos, but we're not supposed to know that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

I find it an interesting coincidence they settled once the AFL unfolded to good ratings. I imagine Kaepernick knew he was going to get hounded with questions like, "If you feel teams are refusing to sign you, then why not play in the AFL?"

Nevermind the fact he turned down the Broncos, but we're not supposed to know that.

AAF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

AAF.


I knew I'd do that, lol. Edited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

I find it an interesting coincidence they settled once the AAF unfolded to good ratings. I imagine Kaepernick knew he was going to get hounded with questions like, "If you feel teams are refusing to sign you, then why not play in the AAF?"

Nevermind the fact he turned down the Broncos, but we're not supposed to know that.

Everybody forgets that, RMD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw reports that he got $80 mil from the NFL.  They don't hand out that kind of money unless they did something wrong.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I saw reports that he got $80 mil from the NFL.  They don't hand out that kind of money unless they did something wrong.

Not legally.  $80 mil is a settlement.....and they admit to no wrong doing

The NFL has to maintain the right to not sign a player of the owners don't want him.  No matter what the reason is.

I think everybody understands the 'tweet heat' that comes down on any team that signs Colin.

It was a case they couldn't afford to lose...so they settled

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Not legally.  $80 mil is a settlement.....and they admit to no wrong doing

The NFL has to maintain the right to not sign a player of the owners don't want him.

It was a case they couldn't afford to lose...so they settled

 

Paying him $80 million in a settlement is admitting some wrongdoing. That is quite a bit of money. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dear NFL,

 

Give me $1 million dollars and I will keep my two cents in my pocket.  If you refuse, I will never shut up about how you've pretty much admitted that Kap was right.

 

Sincerely,

 

giphy.gif

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I saw reports that he got $80 mil from the NFL.  They don't hand out that kind of money unless they did something wrong.

 

What do you suspect the NFL did wrong?  Eric Reid got paid off too and he just signed a new contract with the Panthers.  Sometimes it is just better and cheaper to pay than to let it play out in the court of public opinion.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Paying him $80 million in a settlement is admitting some wrong doing. That is quite a bit of money. 

Its a lot of money for Colin but not for the NFL.

Going to trial and losing is losing.

 

Any team that signed Colin would have undergone a firestorm of 'tweets' and negative comments from outside the league.  Understandably. No team wanted that.

So they paid Colin what he would have earned for about 4 seasons as a QB.

 

The NFL should have the right not to sign someone who would brings controversy.

By settling the case out of court, they avoided losing and setting a precedent that future controversial players can sue to be employed in the league. No league wants that.

Colin got paid.   Its a win for everybody and nobody lost the right to do anything.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Clem-Dog said:

What do you suspect the NFL did wrong? 

 

Sometimes it is just better and cheaper to pay than to let it play out in the court of public opinion.

 

Just now, oldunclemark said:

Going to trial and losing is losing.

 

You don't settle out of court unless either there's a chance you're going to lose in court, or you're going to win but there's stuff you don't want becoming public in court.

 

So the NFL was either wrong, or going to be super embarrassed by something the owners said becoming public.

 

:dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

Going to trial and losing is losing.

 

The NFL has lost many times. What makes this different? The NFL does not just give out that much money that easily. Look how long it took them to settle on the case brought on by those who are claiming football-related brain injuries.

 

They settled this one relatively quickly. It seems that the NFL did not want some information (whatever evidence Kaepernick had) to become public. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, he essentially got franchise QB money for the last few years he's missed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

 

You don't settle out of court unless either there's a chance you're going to lose in court, or you're going to win but there's stuff you don't want becoming public in court.

 

So the NFL was either wrong, or going to be super embarrassed by something the owners said becoming public.

 

:dunno:

The NFL settled because there was a chance they would lose in court.

There always is.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

 

 

You don't settle out of court unless either there's a chance you're going to lose in court, or you're going to win but there's stuff you don't want becoming public in court.

 

So the NFL was either wrong, or going to be super embarrassed by something the owners said becoming public.

 

:dunno:

 

Just seems unlikely to win a collusion case since Kaep opted out of his contract then turned down at least two other contract offers.  As far as Eric Reid, he signed a new deal before this settlement.

 

As I said earlier, it was in the NFL's best interest to settle now, with no wrongdoing, than to string it out and win in court.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

The NFL has lost many times. What makes this different? The NFL does not just give out that much money that easily. Look how long it took them to settle on the case brought on by those who are claiming football-related brain injuries.

 

They settled this one relatively quickly. It seems that the NFL did not want some information (whatever evidence Kaepernick had) to become public. 

The difference is:  the NFL cant set a precedent that a controversial player sues them to be in the league when none of the owners want the controversy.  They don't want that door opened.

 

If Colin became the QB of the Bears, lets say, because he's the QB, the focus would be on him.  Eric Reid is not the same. He's not the

'face of the franchise' as the QB is.

Controversy would surround the team. Every day Tweets and political comments.

We all know how it would be.    The Bears wouldn't want that.

NFL owners didn't have to conspire to blackball Colin.

They didnt want him because of the non football attention he would bring, Especially playing QB.

 

The NFL cant prove they didn't conspire against him  even though probably didnt.

So they settled.

$80 mil is great for Colin.   Its nickels and dimes for the NFL.

And the next controversial player has no legal precedent to sue the NFL.

See what I'm saying?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

The difference is:  the NFL cant set a precedent that a controversial player sues them to be in the league when none of the owners want the controversy.  They don't want that door opened.

 

If Colin became the QB of the Bears, lets say, because he's the QB, the focus would be on him.  Eric Reid is not the same. He's not the

'face of the franchise' as the QB is.

Controversy would surround the team. Every day Tweets and political comments.

We all know how it would be.    The Bears wouldn't want that.

NFL owners didn't have to conspire to blackball Colin.

They didnt want him because of the non football attention he would bring, Especially playing QB.

 

The NFL cant prove they didn't conspire against him  even though probably didnt.

So they settled.

$80 mil is great for Colin.   Its nickels and dimes for the NFL.

And the next controversial player has no legal precedent to sue the NFL.

See what I'm saying?

This settlement is a precedent.    Every player that feels they are being black balled will now have reason to believe they can get a settlement by bringing a suit against the league.   They shouldn't have caved if there was no collusion

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Not legally.  $80 mil is a settlement.....and they admit to no wrong doing

The NFL has to maintain the right to not sign a player of the owners don't want him.  No matter what the reason is.

I think everybody understands the 'tweet heat' that comes down on any team that signs Colin.

It was a case they couldn't afford to lose...so they settled

You don't settle to give someone $80 mil unless you did something wrong.  They didn't explicitly admit to anything, but if they really didn't do anything wrong, they wouldn't have settled.  The NFL, and any employer for that matter, has the right to not employ an individual, but for whatever reason.  That's the whole basis of this case.  The NFL does not have the right to not sign a player because of his political beliefs.

 

3 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

What do you suspect the NFL did wrong?  Eric Reid got paid off too and he just signed a new contract with the Panthers.  Sometimes it is just better and cheaper to pay than to let it play out in the court of public opinion.

Like I said above, you don't pay someone $80 mil to settle unless you know you did something wrong.  There's definitely something going on behind the scenes that the NFL didn't want exposed, so they settled.  That could be anything.

 

27 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

Kaepernick is an attention seeking hate monger who deserves all the flak he gets, and deserves to be unsigned by all teams.

Tell us how you really feel.....

 

Why does he deserve to be unsigned?  He's not an elite QB, but he brings a lot to the table.  He doesn't throw a lot of picks and he can run as well as.  You really want to claim that he doesn't deserve to be on an NFL roster, but Nathan Peterman or Blake Bortles do?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I saw reports that he got $80 mil from the NFL.  They don't hand out that kind of money unless they did something wrong.

I thought the settlement was confidential. Where did the reports show it was 80 million? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

Kaepernick is an attention seeking hate monger who deserves all the flak he gets, and deserves to be unsigned by all teams.

Curious, who do you have less respect for...

 

Colin K or Kareem Hunt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

I thought the settlement was confidential. Where did the reports show it was 80 million? 

If it was leaked by one of Colin lawyers you can not kiss that 80 mil good bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teganslaw said:

I thought the settlement was confidential. Where did the reports show it was 80 million? 

 

 

It's speculation, but that's what people in the NFL believe it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Tell us how you really feel.....

 

Why does he deserve to be unsigned?  He's not an elite QB, but he brings a lot to the table.  He doesn't throw a lot of picks and he can run as well as.  You really want to claim that he doesn't deserve to be on an NFL roster, but Nathan Peterman or Blake Bortles do?

 

Politics have no place in the workplace, and instead of being discreet about it, he's being as loudmouthed about it as he tries to. And on top of that, manages to swindle $60-80 million from the league for it when he didn't earn that money from the fruits of his own labor.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I saw reports that he got $80 mil from the NFL.  They don't hand out that kind of money unless they did something wrong.

Businesses do it everyday. It's cheaper just to settle than to pay lawyers millions of dollars to take it through the court system.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Businesses do it everyday. It's cheaper just to settle than to pay lawyers millions of dollars to take it through the court system.

I don't think it would have been close to 80 million in lawyers fees.  They have an army of attorneys on the everyday payroll

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think it would have been close to 80 million in lawyers fees.  They have an army of attorneys on the everyday payroll

Having attorneys on retainer does not mean the lawyers work for that amount.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think it would have been close to 80 million in lawyers fees.  They have an army of attorneys on the everyday payroll

Plus you have to remember how much the courts systems rake in for having the trials put on in their system. That is above the lawyers fees.

Lawsuits and settlements are the biggest rip offs in history. Everyone involved has their hands in the pie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Having attorneys on retainer does not mean the lawyers work for that amount.

It wouldn't have cost any where near 80 million.    Not even close

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Curious, who do you have less respect for...

 

Colin K or Kareem Hunt?

 

Isaiah Crowell <<< Michael Bennett <<< Kaepernick <<< Joe Mixon and Kareem Hunt <<< Jeffrey Simmons

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

It wouldn't have cost any where near 80 million.    Not even close

With all due respect jvan, I don't think you know how much lawyers and the court systems charge and make. 

If 80 million was the number Kaepernick may get 20 million.

Right now a top consulting lawyer makes over $2,000.00 per hour.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Politics have no place in the workplace, and instead of being discreet about it, he's being as loudmouthed about it as he tries to. And on top of that, manages to swindle $60-80 million from the league for it when he didn't earn that money from the fruits of his own labor.

Then why doesn't that apply to the owners/GMs?  If politics have no place in the workplace, then shouldn't the owners and GMs ignore his politics and sign him regardless?  Furthermore, he didn't "swindle" the league.  He was treated unfairly and discriminated against, so the league had to compensate him for their own wrongdoing. 

 

13 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Businesses do it everyday. It's cheaper just to settle than to pay lawyers millions of dollars to take it through the court system.

So you're saying a business that thinks it has done nothing wrong will settle to give someone $80 mil just because it's cheaper than having lawyers?  Can you point me in the direction of some of these companies?  I'd love to have an extra $80 mil right now

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

With all due respect jvan, I don't think you know how much lawyers and the court systems charge and make. 

If 80 million was the number Kaepernick may get 20 million.

Right now a top consulting lawyer makes over $2,000.00 per hour.

 

The cost to the NFL for the settlement is 80 million.   It doesn't matter how much of that Kap will get.    

 

The year and a half battle against Brady and the patriots cost the league about 15 million dollars.   A far cry from 80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Then why doesn't that apply to the owners/GMs?  If politics have no place in the workplace, then shouldn't the owners and GMs ignore his politics and sign him regardless?  Furthermore, he didn't "swindle" the league.  He was treated unfairly and discriminated against, so the league had to compensate him for their own wrongdoing. 

 

So you're saying a business that thinks it has done nothing wrong will settle to give someone $80 mil just because it's cheaper than having lawyers?  Can you point me in the direction of some of these companies?  I'd love to have an extra $80 mil right now

One example is trucking companies. They pay off lawsuits everyday because it's cheaper to payoff than to have their insurance rates go high enough to put them out of business.

Remember this is a sue you sue me world now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Then why doesn't that apply to the owners/GMs?  If politics have no place in the workplace, then shouldn't the owners and GMs ignore his politics and sign him regardless?  Furthermore, he didn't "swindle" the league.  He was treated unfairly and discriminated against, so the league had to compensate him for their own wrongdoing.

 

Most states are employment at will states. Meaning the employer can fire you for not liking the color of shoes you wear to work, as that is not a protected class, race, gender, disability, or veteran status.

 

They're in their right not to sign him. Even if it is their absolute mandate to sign him, Kaepernick's loss of income and "civil rights" is a far cry from $80 million after taxes (which is more like $150 million before taxes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 2:09 PM, 21isSuperman said:

 

Why does he deserve to be unsigned?  He's not an elite QB, but he brings a lot to the table.  He doesn't throw a lot of picks and he can run as well as.  You really want to claim that he doesn't deserve to be on an NFL roster, but Nathan Peterman or Blake Bortles do?

Because he chooses to bring a bunch of baggage with him.  

Because he chooses to have a girlfriend who calls an owner a slave owner when Kap was about to sign with his team.

Because his talent level does not outweigh the baggage. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...