Sign in to follow this  
CR91

NFL.COM Ranks colts 2018 draft class the best

The results of CBs draft made this a no brainer. Two All-Pro rookies speaks for itself.

• Like 2

We definitely hit on a lot of picks. Some of the picks are question marks that may do well next year (Cain, Lewis, Wilkins).

I just hope it doesn't go to his head(i dont think it will). If we can repeat last year's draft even by 50%, we'll be set for the next 5-6 years

• Like 1

This was a historical draft Colts-Wise. The next draft won't be quite as effective because of the improved roster, but I still believe we can get 3-4 starters out of it and some depth pieces. Ballard is in a good position this year as well with an extra 2nd and 4th. The true test will be picking late in each round. However, imagine picks 26 and 34 as being like Leonard and Smith all over again, and we can still have another great draft.

• Like 1

yea we basically nailed two all pro starter (Nelson, Leonard) a couple solid starters with unknown ceilings (Hines, Lewis, Smith, Turay) 

IMO even if Ballard hauls 50% of last years draft this year, he is overachieving. If we can get a couple more solid starters i would consider Ballards first 3 years a huge success.. of course i will be rooting for a couple more all pros, preferably a pass rusher and a DB this time Ballard please.

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I just hope it doesn't go to his head(i dont think it will). If we can repeat last year's draft even by 50%, we'll be set for the next 5-6 years

I don't think there is a chance of any of this going to Ballard's head.

He knows in advance what he want's.

As far as drafts go I highly doubt his picks will match what most of us think. If there is a history that can be made Ballard is big on team captains and team leaders. He keeps talking about the core of 10-12 players that can be built around. Till those core players are in place it's hard to anticipate who he will take.

The thing is this team was so void of talent especially at depth it would have been hard not to have drafted players who made this roster.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CR91 said:

https://www.colts.com/news/nfl-com-colts-had-top-rookie-class-in-nfl-in-2018

Really impressive concerning all the heat Ballard got for his picks.

Yeah that is the truth. There were a lot of fans saying some pretty bad things about him right after the draft. It just goes to show that most fans just think they know more than a good GM.

It would be silly to think Ballard can keep drafting as well as he has but as long as it's an upgrade that is all we can expect.

• Like 1

But I thought Ballard didn’t know what he was doing and reached for every player drafted?

1 hour ago, Indyfan4life said:

But I thought Ballard didn’t know what he was doing and reached for every player drafted?

TBF, I don't blame a lot of people for thinking that after what we went through with Grigson, and then seeing players that they didn't recognize. I only knew this class was good because I knew the players and was positive on most of them. It wasn't because of blind faith in Ballard at the time. If it was pure blind faith for people on here, then they probably had the same blind faith in Grigson for the first 3 or 4 years until it was obvious he couldn't draft. 

We're just fortunate we have a good GM now that has a plan for this team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

TBF, I don't blame a lot of people for thinking that after what we went through with Grigson, and then seeing players that they didn't recognize. I only knew this class was good because I knew the players and was positive on most of them. It wasn't because of blind faith in Ballard at the time. If it was pure blind faith for people on here, then they probably had the same blind faith in Grigson for the first 3 or 4 years until it was obvious he couldn't draft. 

We're just fortunate we have a good GM now that has a plan for this team.

It wasn't blind faith in thinking Grigson would be a good GM at the time. Geez, he won GM of the year and we went 11-5 his first year. Even his second year we advanced 1 more game into the playoffs. Then a 3rd year to the AFC championship game.

Having faith is not blind. It's just called being a fan.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It wasn't blind faith in thinking Grigson would be a good GM at the time. Geez, he won GM of the year and we went 11-5 his first year. Even his second year we advanced 1 more game into the playoffs. Then a 3rd year to the AFC championship game.

Having faith is not blind. It's just called being a fan.

Having faith without knowing why is "blind faith". At least when I supported certain picks that Grigson chose (like Dorsett), it was because I thought they were good and I was wrong. It wasn't because Grigson was our GM and I felt an obligation that I had to "follow" his every move. He did have 3 straight winning years and advanced further each time, but it became apparent by the end of 2014 that his drafting and FA signings were poor (besides the early part of the 2012 draft), and Luck was carrying the team. Luck got hurt afterward, but it's not like Grigson's drafting or FA signings got better. We were a team carried by Luck and the previous regimes players from 2012-2016. I didn't notice it completely until after the Pats AFC Championship game where we were completely outmatched, but I did notice poor patterns before that (especially missing on 1st round picks).

I'm just saying that the people who say that Ballard knows more than other "armchair GM's" would also say the same about Grigson, so they were merely guessing and were right on Ballard just like they were wrong about Grigson with "blind faith". I don't know, that line just bugs me a lot. Most people who say that also don't predict ahead of time who is good and who isn't, they are extremists in an either positive or negative way, and both are poor viewpoints IMO. Ok, rant over! :lol:

He brought in so many talent potential lads into the Shoe last year. These no-name guys are quickly becoming recognizable faces. 

Gotta say that last years draft was amped with talent for many levels and positions. Some potentially playoff caliber quarterbacks too.

This year’s draft will be interesting as it could pose a challenge for most teams outside of the top 10. 

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Having faith without knowing why is "blind faith". At least when I supported certain picks that Grigson chose (like Dorsett), it was because I thought they were good and I was wrong. It wasn't because Grigson was our GM and I felt an obligation that I had to "follow" his every move. He did have 3 straight winning years and advanced further each time, but it became apparent by the end of 2014 that his drafting and FA signings were poor (besides the early part of the 2012 draft), and Luck was carrying the team. Luck got hurt afterward, but it's not like Grigson's drafting or FA signings got better. We were a team carried by Luck and the previous regimes players from 2012-2016. I didn't notice it completely until after the Pats AFC Championship game where we were completely outmatched, but I did notice poor patterns before that (especially missing on 1st round picks).

I'm just saying that the people who say that Ballard knows more than other "armchair GM's" would also say the same about Grigson, so they were merely guessing and were right on Ballard just like they were wrong about Grigson with "blind faith". I don't know, that line just bugs me a lot. Most people who say that also don't predict ahead of time who is good and who isn't, they are extremists in an either positive or negative way, and both are poor viewpoints IMO. Ok, rant over! :lol:

What you are describing is a loss of faith, not blind faith.

Being positive does bring faith. Till it becomes negative then the faith dwindles till it's gone.

For me I don't give a lot of attention to who is drafted till they are drafted. I don't have the resources and a whole scouting team (and coaches) to help me make the choice.

The largest part of what most see is what the media shows. That means schools that draw the most attention. Good GMs pay little attention to what the media has to say. (or what the fans think to be honest). :number1:

• Like 1

I alluded to this a while back, but development is the rarely discussed factor in some of this. Ballard drafted like a smart, educated football guy. But this team has some serious development skills to help. I firmly believe that another team could have taken these same players and perhaps not helped in getting them to the level they achieved. 

This franchise is being built from the ground up...the right way. Never been more proud as a Colt fan for the future.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you are describing is a loss of faith, not blind faith.

Being positive does bring faith. Till it becomes negative then the faith dwindles till it's gone.

For me I don't give a lot of attention to who is drafted till they are drafted. I don't have the resources and a whole scouting team (and coaches) to help me make the choice.

The largest part of what most see is what the media shows. That means schools that draw the most attention. Good GMs pay little attention to what the media has to say. (or what the fans think to be honest). :number1:

Agreed. Ballard seems to have a viable strategy. He drafts high character guys who are captains, and last year, he filled our needs. I'm guessing he will go BPA early once again, and fill out the rest with a smaller list of preferable guys as his list dwindles in the later rounds. He will be tested this year with a later pick in each round, but he has earned my trust, and we'll see what he decides to do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I alluded to this a while back, but development is the rarely discussed factor in some of this. Ballard drafted like a smart, educated football guy. But this team has some serious development skills to help. I firmly believe that another team could have taken these same players and perhaps not helped in getting them to the level they achieved. 

This franchise is being built from the ground up...the right way. Never been more proud as a Colt fan for the future.

There is something to team-chemistry for sure. Having the right coaches, the right schemes, and even the right teammates. I remember I said Ballard avoids character concerns almost completely in the draft, so the only way they can bust is a lack of talent, or injury-wise. Very good strategy if you are a great talent-scout. Ballard has proven to do well in that area so far.

• Like 1

Great draft, but give some kudos to Frank for the way he bonded the team, created the locker room vibe, and turned them into winners. Great all round job. Hopefully we take the next step next season...

• Like 1