to throw the same look but different play, and keep defenses

questioning themselves and not able to just pin their ears back 

on our offense.

Now, the offense appears to be making the next step towards

complexity by adding Mudd to the mix. Where does the offense

go now, does it add the no huddle with code words such as

Apple Apple apple, Omaha and such or even the stretch play

with our mobile O line which Mack, Hines and Wilkins could

really flourish running behind that scheme from time to time.

Will Luck get more freedom to change plays at the line like

Manning did or is Mudd's philosophy going to be a small

addition to the offense, stretch play and such?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dodsworth said:

Reich's offense is very complex and multi tiered as to be able 

on our offense.

I don’t think they’ll be Manning’s offense 2.0 because Reich / Ballard have been influenced by other offenses and because Reich likes to substitute packages, contingent on specific player talents.

That being said, I would love to see a marketable improvement in screens and the occasional stretch play.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Adding complexity to the offense is a very good idea. It keeps them guessing. How about increasing the complexity of the defense beyond merely a cover 2 for the same reasons?

i think one of the  main reasons they like cover 2 is so they can save money and resources on corner backs.  they will have to pay up if they want to change that philosophy 

22 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

Adding complexity to the offense is a very good idea. It keeps them guessing. How about increasing the complexity of the defense beyond merely a cover 2 for the same reasons?

Eh One of the knocks against Pagano's D was that it was too complex and very confusing for players to get up to speed in it.  At least based on the comments by former players etc.  So I don't think adding complexity is the answer to it.  That said, it all comes down to pass rush. IF we can get a Freeney/Mathis type combo, that D becomes mean.  Even if we get a combo that is 50% as good, itll help.  Also, lets not over look the fact that we were a top 15 Defense at the end of the year.

50 minutes ago, coltsfeva said:

I don’t think they’ll be Manning’s offense 2.0 because Reich / Ballard have been influenced by other offenses and because Reich likes to substitute packages, contingent on specific player talents.

That being said, I would love to see a marketable improvement in screens and the occasional stretch play.

Speaking of our screen game, is it because of scheme, preparation 

or possibly Luck's release speed or other?

1 hour ago, dodsworth said:

on our offense.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

The addition of Mudd invites intriguing possibilities.  With Peyton, he had ran the front side of the O line Full Zone in the stretch play with the QB under center.  I can see Reich also running it from  the gun, possibly using the 'covered/uncovered' principle for blocking.  It is designed for a fast RB to get outside a TE, but if defenses flow fast (and many are these days) I can see the O linemen decide to ride his defender out to the sideline and the RB must 'see' the developing seam and jump cut up into it and go vertical quickly.

Improvement in the screen game would be most welcome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

Haha. I hope you enjoyed seeing the added complexity as the season went on.
 Ballard drafted Hooker to be a single high safety in our complex D. Right? You get that right?
 All teams have to get an 8th man in the box at times. More Zone, but to be able to play a lot of Man coverage to get stops also. It is Ballards D. His Plan to have those players as fast as he can put it together. Enjoy his show. Watch him do the best job he and his talent searchers know how to do, to add them for our coaches to DEVELOP. 
 Teams do the best job figuring out these prospects pre-draft. But you never really know what you have till you live with them for awhile. And mistakes will be made Ballard said. That is a Duh!
 Wishing, Football Prayers for CB, his Crew, and US, for lots of Luck in FA and the Draft. Yeehaa!

3 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

Having that 2nd guy outside to stretch the D to allow Inman and the TEs to wreak havoc underneath will enable us to play against any style of secondary - man or zone, IMO. 

The screens will be better with better blocking from WRs and TEs too, IMO.  The YAC does not necessarily have to come from screens, it can come from picks across the field too and a little up field blocking. 

The stretch play, and the ability to run it on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 and not be predictable in those down and distances with passing primarily will also help. 

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Colts will have the league's best offense in 2019. Maybe not #1 statistically across the board, but they'll be great, they'll score a lot of points, they'll be efficient, deadly in the red zone, balanced and complementary, explosive, and basically a juggernaut. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Colts will have the league's best offense in 2019. Maybe not #1 statistically across the board, but they'll be great, they'll score a lot of points, they'll be efficient, deadly in the red zone, balanced and complementary, explosive, and basically a juggernaut. 

Let's hope! 

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Why such high expectations next season? Does the addition of Mudd impact

the offense that much in your mind or something else?

Reich's offense surpassed all expectations year 1 for me. You need to remember, he still needs to add a ton of pieces and has done one heck of a job only after one offseason. I love how everyone is involved and you never know who's going to have a monster game in this offense. PLUS, Luck's not getting killed!

Just now, DarkSuperman said:

Reich's offense surpassed all expectations year 1 for me. You need to remember, he still needs to add a ton of pieces and has done one heck of a job only after one offseason. I love how everyone is involved and you never know who's going to have a monster game in this offense.

19 hours ago, dodsworth said:

Why such high expectations next season? Does the addition of Mudd impact

the offense that much in your mind or something else?

I think Mudd will help a lot. Even AC, who seems to take a few weeks to get going every year, I think Mudd's influence will help him get ready for Week 1. The other young guys will benefit from him also. 

But my excitement about the offense is about a lot of things. We can start with Luck having a full, normal offseason. As good as he was last year, he should be better this year. 

Reich and his staff being settled and beginning to build on the foundation they laid last year is another big thing. The receivers were mostly young, they got rotated in and out all season, and never really got established. The backs had injuries and were young. 

The OL was a carousel until Week 6 or so. Then they got in a groove and looked dominant at times. 

I also assume we add a player or two on offense.

I feel like the same circumstances that came together for the 2013 Broncos are coming together for the Colts. Formerly injured QB with a full year of play under his belt, young skill players growing up, and the opportunity to make big moves in the offseason. It could be special if they get it right.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2019 at 9:34 AM, dodsworth said:

Speaking of our screen game, is it because of scheme, preparation 

or possibly Luck's release speed or other?

Player execution is often the biggest culprit. Each player needs to comprehend their blocking assignments and what the defense is doing. One or two mistakes is all it takes for a defensive back to tackle for a loss. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I think Mudd will help a lot. Even AC, who seems to take a few weeks to get going every year, I think Mudd's influence will help him get ready for Week 1. The other young guys will benefit from him also. 

But my excitement about the offense is about a lot of things. We can start with Luck having a full, normal offseason. As good as he was last year, he should be better this year. 

Reich and his staff being settled and beginning to build on the foundation they laid last year is another big thing. The receivers were mostly young, they got rotated in and out all season, and never really got established. The backs had injuries and were young. 

The OL was a carousel until Week 6 or so. Then they got in a groove and looked dominant at times. 

I also assume we add a player or two on offense.

I feel like the same circumstances that came together for the 2013 Broncos are coming together for the Colts. Formerly injured QB with a full year of play under his belt, young skill players growing up, and the opportunity to make big moves in the offseason. It could be special if they get it right.  

Manning also won Comeback Player of the Year before that magical 2013 season too.

Leggo.

On 2/15/2019 at 8:25 AM, dodsworth said:

on our offense.

Damn that’s hard to read.    What’s up with the paragraphs?