Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN: Rare Buyers Market for QB's....

A front page story for most of the day....      it's still toward the top of the NFL page right now.

This year,  2019, is, unfortunately for the Colts,  a RARE BUYERS MARKET for QB's.      The article, which is FREE (NON-PREMIUM) explains all the factors that have made this year a rare buyers market.      A large number of QB's drafted the last two years that it's too soon for teams to give up on.    A weak class this year.     A large number of young veteran QB's (arge 30 and under) that teams are still married to....   and on and on.

This is not --- REPEAT, NOT --- the opinion of the writer.     He polled NFL Execs and agents and this is THEIR VIEW.     So, I'm afraid the Jacoby Brissett is going to get the Colts a #2 or a #3 ship has sailed.      The Flacco trade (for a 4) hurts us, not helps us.     The Foles trade (for a 3) hurts us,  not helps us.   And the flood of other veteran QB's available like Bridgewater and others hurts the Colts.

I still think we might trade him for a Day 3 pick,  it depends on what that is and how is available.    Or we might package Brissett to trade up.     Still possibilities.     But, we might also decide to keep Brissett as our well paid back-up.    I think Superman floated 3/20.    Seems reasonable.

Here's the story.     If it doesn't break your heart too much,  it's worth a read.   

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25988932/welcome-nfl-ever-rare-quarterback-buyers-market-2019

The caveat to your premise is that JB has a $2 mill salary vs. a dramatically higher salary hit for the veteran QBs. Combine that fact with his age and you have an attractive alternative. Miami is allegedly interested in Brissett. We’ll see what happens, but to me, an inexpensive JB is a heckuva lot more attractive than an expensive, aging, fading Joe Flacco. And thus more valuable. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

id be very interested if i were the bucs or dolphins.  it does appear that its not a great year to shop him though 

I would also add Washington and the Giants.  Washington has cap issues but Brissett could step in for nothing and make them a contender this year.  Giants could develop Brissett behind Eli for one year.  Coughlin would probably love to have Eli at Jacksonville this year.  Brissett would fit the bill if he was traded. The QB market is still very fluid.  Brissetts age, health,  contract, knowledge, leadership  and starting experience gives him a real advantage over many of those QB's.  I'm thinking the Dolphins or the Redskins is where he will playing this year.  

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

But, we might also decide to keep Brissett as our well paid back-up.

Good.  I hope he stays.

And I think Ballard wants to keep him, too.

He's young, talented, and appears to be a really REALLY good teammate, which is invaluable to the locker room Ballard is trying to build.

13 hours ago, Hoose said:

The caveat to your premise is that JB has a $2 mill salary vs. a dramatically higher salary hit for the veteran QBs. Combine that fact with his age and you have an attractive alternative. Miami is allegedly interested in Brissett. We’ll see what happens, but to me, an inexpensive JB is a heckuva lot more attractive than an expensive, aging, fading Joe Flacco. And thus more valuable. 

Yep. The fact that a team gave up a 4th round pick for Flacco and his current salary...actually speaks to potential for a Brissett trade...not against it. Flacco is old...hasn't played well for years...and is expensive.

BAL also had little leverage...as they weren't going to keep paying his monster salary Flacco to be a backup. And despite all of that, they were still able to get a 4th round pick out of a team that already had a questionable QB in place.

Brissett's salary (and age) make him different. He is cheap AND he still has upside...something that a Keenum, Bortles, Bridgewater, Taylor, etc. don't have. 

Jimmy G was/is a better QB...but he was traded midseason. He would have landed a far better deal before the season...like when the Colts will trade Brissett. So something in between Jimmy G and Flacco should be about the market for Brissett.

Also, the idea that it's a buyer's market is a bit contradictory. Foles is the only real option. Some of the same QB options that are supposedly flooding the QB market are the ones that these teams are looking to upgrade. And others are backup QBs who have been available before...and are still backup QBs.

It only takes one team to like Brissett's upside just a little bit.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

A front page story for most of the day....      it's still toward the top of the NFL page right now.

This year,  2019, is, unfortunately for the Colts,  a RARE BUYERS MARKET for QB's.      The article, which is FREE (NON-PREMIUM) explains all the factors that have made this year a rare buyers market.      A large number of QB's drafted the last two years that it's too soon for teams to give up on.    A weak class this year.     A large number of young veteran QB's (arge 30 and under) that teams are still married to....   and on and on.

This is not --- REPEAT, NOT --- the opinion of the writer.     He polled NFL Execs and agents and this is THEIR VIEW.     So, I'm afraid the Jacoby Brissett is going to get the Colts a #2 or a #3 ship has sailed.      The Flacco trade (for a 4) hurts us, not helps us.     The Foles trade (for a 3) hurts us,  not helps us.   And the flood of other veteran QB's available like Bridgewater and others hurts the Colts.

I still think we might trade him for a Day 3 pick,  it depends on what that is and how is available.    Or we might package Brissett to trade up.     Still possibilities.     But, we might also decide to keep Brissett as our well paid back-up.    I think Superman floated 3/20.    Seems reasonable.

Here's the story.     If it doesn't break your heart too much,  it's worth a read.   

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25988932/welcome-nfl-ever-rare-quarterback-buyers-market-2019

"The Foles trade (for a 3) hurts us,  not helps us."

I'm not sure I know what you mean here? The fact that Foles is out there and certainly is going to sin with a new team is nt positive in any way for the Colts. I understand that but am wondering if I missed something ?

On 2/15/2019 at 2:40 PM, dw49 said:

"The Foles trade (for a 3) hurts us,  not helps us."

I'm not sure I know what you mean here? The fact that Foles is out there and certainly is going to sin with a new team is nt positive in any way for the Colts. I understand that but am wondering if I missed something ?

What I'm saying,  and what others in the NFL community are suggesting is that if this year,  all you can get for Nick Foles is a #3,  then that drives down the price for Jacoby Brissett.     There shouldn't be a market where Brissett is worth more than Foles.

So Foles gets a #3.    Flacco gets a #4.    Hard to see a world where Brissett is getting a 3 or greater as some here are still hoping for.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

What I'm saying,  and what others in the NFL community are suggesting is that if this year,  all you can get for Nick Foles is a #3,  then that drives down the price for Jacoby Brissett.     There shouldn't be a market where Brissett is worth more than Foles.

So Foles gets a #3.    Flacco gets a #4.    Hard to see a world where Brissett is getting a 3 or greater as some here are still hoping for.

If that be true....... and you may be right.......   I would hold on to Brissett and hope for a comp pick

On draft day, if the QBs fall a wrong way for a team, Brissett may still have a value more than you might think.

I also think on the article, that the term "basically set" for teams with starting QBs in their late 30s or early 40s, seems a bit of a reach. Knowing that it takes most QBs 2 years to develop, I would think that a teams front office would be a bit concerned. How many years does Brady, Rott, actually have left?

As mentioned.....  Brissett may be part of a trade to improve spots in the draft.

(Or gain a player)

There is also a second chance for a Brissett trade during preseason, and up to trade deadline, if a starting QB goes down with an injury

We will see ......

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

If that be true....... and you may be right.......   I would hold on to Brissett and hope for a comp pick

On draft day, if the QBs fall a wrong way for a team, Brissett may still have a value more than you might think.

I also think on the article, that the term "basically set" for teams with starting QBs in their late 30s or early 40s, seems a bit of a reach. Knowing that it takes most QBs 2 years to develop, I would think that a teams front office would be a bit concerned. How many years does Brady, Rott, actually have left?

As mentioned.....  Brissett may be part of a trade to improve spots in the draft.

(Or gain a player)

There is also a second chance for a Brissett trade during preseason, and up to trade deadline, if a starting QB goes down with an injury

We will see ......

Also,  What if the rookie QB's don't perform well at the combine?  It could happen.  Then the landscape changes again. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

First of all let me say that I don't think Brissett would ever net us more than a third rounder. IMO , something at the bottom of round 3 would be the ceiling. But what do I know ?

However I'm not sure that you're totally right comparing the 4 for Flacco and the "projected " 3 for Foles. Neither of those teams really have any leverage. There's no way Philly or Baltimore would or will keep them at their 2019 salaries. So it's a question of salvaging something . In Flacco's case , he's an older QB that has a 20 million plus 2019  salary. Really not all that desirable ... older , expensive and like a statue. Denver better improve that O Line ? 

Brissett on the other hand is young and has a 2019 salary of 2 mill. A team could even take a chance and try to extend him at a bargain price ? Plus the Colts aren't really pressured to move him. Depending on who they sign in 2020 , he could net them a 3rd in a compensatory pick . Just in my opinion , it's not an apples and oranges thing comparing Flacco and Foles situation to Brisset. That said if Indy could get something in round 3 , I would move him.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

First of all let me say that I don't think Brissett would ever net us more than a third rounder. IMO , something at the bottom of round 3 would be the ceiling. But what do I know ?

However I'm not sure that you're totally right comparing the 4 for Flacco and the "projected " 3 for Foles. Neither of those teams really have any leverage. There's no way Philly or Baltimore would or will keep them at their 2019 salaries. So it's a question of salvaging something . In Flacco's case , he's an older QB that has a 20 million plus 2019  salary. Really not all that desirable ... older , expensive and like a statue. Denver better improve that O Line ? 

Brissett on the other hand is young and has a 2019 salary of 2 mill. A team could even take a chance and try to extend him at a bargain price ? Plus the Colts aren't really pressured to move him. Depending on who they sign in 2020 , he could net them a 3rd in a compensatory pick . Just in my opinion , it's not an apples and oranges thing comparing Flacco and Foles situation to Brisset. That said if Indy could get something in round 3 , I would move him.

Right. You can't really compare Brissett to Flacco and Foles because their teams had no leverage...especially PHI who is in cap trouble. And those guys have huge contracts.

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

Right. You can't really compare Brissett to Flacco and Foles because their teams had no leverage...especially PHI who is in cap trouble. And those guys have huge contracts.

Plus Foles is still with Philly , how in the heck can you talk about what they received for him or what they are supposedly going to get for him ? Is it the 3rd pick in the third , the 31st pick in the 3rd , a 4th , a second ...? These pundits are so very often wrong about the value of a player.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Plus Foles is still with Philly , how in the heck can you talk about what they received for him or what they are supposedly going to get for him ? Is it the 3rd pick in the third , the 31st pick in the 3rd , a 4th , a second ...? These pundits are so very often wrong about the value of a player.

Haha...yeah. We have no idea what Foles will net at this point. I highly speculation from the media has any effect on Brissett's value.

Also, PHI has other considerations as well. Foles won a Super Bowl for PHI...they are going to do right by him. But they are also trying to be a competitive team...and Foles instantly makes a team better...so they can't just trade him to any team...especially in their own division. 

Not that Ballard won't try to do right by Brissett...but it's not the same thing. And let's be honest...we don't really have to worry about Brissett potentially beating the Colts anytime soon. Basically, Brissett's market and value is not limited in the same ways. IF another team thinks there is a chance he could become a long-term starter for a team that can win games...they will give up decent value...because the risk is small.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Haha...yeah. We have no idea what Foles will net at this point. I highly speculation from the media has any effect on Brissett's value.

Also, PHI has other considerations as well. Foles won a Super Bowl for PHI...they are going to do right by him. But they are also trying to be a competitive team...and Foles instantly makes a team better...so they can't just trade him to any team...especially in their own division. 

Not that Ballard won't try to do right by Brissett...but it's not the same thing. And let's be honest...we don't really have to worry about Brissett potentially beating the Colts anytime soon. Basically, Brissett's market and value is not limited in the same ways. IF another team thinks there is a chance he could become a long-term starter for a team that can win games...they will give up decent value...because the risk is small.

I would be shocked (or at least really surprised) if Foles didn't end up with the Jags. 

48 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I would be shocked (or at least really surprised) if Foles didn't end up with the Jags. 

I agree

They need to win now.......  A vet QB, would seem to be a good fit

But.......

Over his career, Foles has had short spurts of being very good, but  mostly, he has been an average NFL QB. (He left Philly once, then two other teams.....)

I dont see him bringing the Jags to a SB.

The ONE QB, that I DONT WANT the Jags to get is Haskins........  The kid is going to be an excellent pro.....

43 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree

They need to win now.......  A vet QB, would seem to be a good fit

But.......

Over his career, Foles has had short spurts of being very good, but  mostly, he has been an average NFL QB. (He left Philly once, then two other teams.....)

I dont see him bringing the Jags to a SB.

The ONE QB, that I DONT WANT the Jags to get is Haskins........  The kid is going to be an excellent pro.....

I think they'll use their resources on improving their short term chances. Unless they feel there is a rookie QB to draft that they can plug right in , their window is too short. JMO 

12 hours ago, dw49 said:

Brissett also comes with a 4-12 starting record in the 17 season when he couldn't hold a 4th quarter lead.      He also comes with throwing less than 10 passes in the 18 season.    That's pretty darn thin. 

I think the arguments being made here are arguments one would only find on a Colts website.   Fans of the other 31 teams would never value JB the way some here do.    And they'd scoff at the ideas being floated here for what JB can bring.     I think fans here are viewing it through Colts Blue colored glasses.

Look....    I'm arguing against my own self-interest.    I'd love to get a Day 2 pick --- ANY Day 2 pick --- for JB.     I just don't think it will happen and I'd love to be wrong!    So, assuming that doesn't happen,  what can you get for him?    A 4?    Maybe.   Move up in a round to get a desired player?   Maybe.    Or do we keep him as a quality back-up to Luck?    Don't know. 

But the article I linked wasn't my opinion.    And it wasn't the opinion of the writer.    It was the opinion of NFL Execs and agents.     It just feels like a number of people in this thread don't want to believe it.     

Denial.    It's not just a river in Egypt.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Brissett also comes with a 4-12 starting record in the 17 season when he couldn't hold a 4th quarter lead.      He also comes with throwing less than 10 passes in the 18 season.    That's pretty darn thin. 

I think the arguments being made here are arguments one would only find on a Colts website.   Fans of the other 31 teams would never value JB the way some here do.    And they'd scoff at the ideas being floated here for what JB can bring.     I think fans here are viewing it through Colts Blue colored glasses.

Look....    I'm arguing against my own self-interest.    I'd love to get a Day 2 pick --- ANY Day 2 pick --- for JB.     I just don't think it will happen and I'd love to be wrong!    So, assuming that doesn't happen,  what can you get for him?    A 4?    Maybe.   Move up in a round to get a desired player?   Maybe.    Or do we keep him as a quality back-up to Luck?    Don't know. 

But the article I linked wasn't my opinion.    And it wasn't the opinion of the writer.    It was the opinion of NFL Execs and agents.     It just feels like a number of people in this thread don't want to believe it.     

Denial.    It's not just a river in Egypt.

Totally agree as I said before I think a 3ed rounder would be the ceiling and also said I would take it. I also agree wth the author that it is not a good year to try to trade a spar part QB. I think the compensation would be a 4th rounder at best .  

I just argued with the assertion that Flacco netting a 4 was a big part of the reason. Other words I don't think Flacco with the same peripherals would have brought much more than that last year. And Foles has not been traded yet.

• Like 1