Sign in to follow this  
mjsimans

Adam Humphries

I haven't seen much discussion on Adam Humphries, who is one of the few solid free agent options at WR. He was pretty consistent on a very inconsistent team that had many other receiving options. For the right price, should he be considered, and how would he fit into the Colts lineup?

The "right price" is the issue I think. This is a fairly weak group of FA WRs and Humphries is probably in line to get a decent contract. Personally, I wouldn't give it to him. I think you can find a comparable slot WR type in this draft...for a fraction of the cost. Or just sign Beasely to a cheaper deal.

Humphries isn't a bad WR. But his stats this past year are quite inflated...considering he played on a team who threw a ton...and most of the time were playing from behind. They also had a lot of weapons that other teams focused on. But whoever signs Humphries is going to be paying him like the 2nd/3rd option in the passing game.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

The "right price" is the issue I think. This is a fairly weak group of FA WRs and Humphries is probably in line to get a decent contract. Personally, I wouldn't give it to him. I think you can find a comparable slot WR type in this draft...for a fraction of the cost. Or just sign Beasely to a cheaper deal.

Humphries isn't a bad WR. But his stats this past year are quite inflated...considering he played on a team who threw a ton...and most of the time were playing from behind. They also had a lot of weapons that other teams focused on. But whoever signs Humphries is going to be paying him like the 2nd/3rd option in the passing game.

IMO the free agent receivers are not that weak.

The top 5 are Tate, Humphries, Williams, Beasley and Brown are all receivers who could fit the Colts very well. 

Personally I like Williams the best but Tate has been the a constant receiver.

We also have Cain to look at.

Keep in mind when drafting a WR it take some time for them to adjust their game to the NFL. If we want a WR that can contribute right away one of these free agents needs to be signed.

I think we need a receiver like John Brown to stretch the field opposite to T.Y. and let Inman play underneath more along with the TEs making our offense more dangerous. Then, we can develop guys like Deon Cain and get a WR from the draft for contested catches with upside.

However, he is like a T.Y. clone and if we need YAC, we need to go after Golden Tate or Humphries, who are more of the YAC wide outs. 

Looks like a lot of teams looking to sign. I'd be down with him or Tate.

Word is that Todd Monken, the Browns' new OC that called plays for the Bucs, likes and has a lot of familiarity with Adam Humphries and Humphries is predicted to go to the Browns by virtue of that connection. It is still about the money but I feel this is a likely spot.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/02/15/cleveland-browns-adam-humphries-perfect-fit-offense/

17 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Word is that Todd Monken, the Browns' new OC that called plays for the Bucs, likes and has a lot of familiarity with Adam Humphries and Humphries is predicted to go to the Browns by virtue of that connection. It is still about the money but I feel this is a likely spot.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2019/02/15/cleveland-browns-adam-humphries-perfect-fit-offense/

Very possible, but this time last year, and for similar reasons, Norwell to the Giants was a virtual lock. Then it wasn't. 

If he's a FA in 26 days, I think the Colts should be one of the first calls he gets.

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Very possible, but this time last year, and for similar reasons, Norwell to the Giants was a virtual lock. Then it wasn't. 

If he's a FA in 26 days, I think the Colts should be one of the first calls he gets.

Wasn't Anthony Hitchens a lock to sign  with uS ?

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 3:03 PM, shastamasta said:

Humphries is supposedly looking for at least $8 mil/yr and Spotrac has his market value at 4yr/$41.7 mil. ... so we are looking at $8-$11 mil//yr ... What's the "right price"?  Seems like any decent FA option at WR is going to be in that range.

I think if the Colts want to solidify the #2 WR position they may as well figure it is going to cost them ~$9 - $10 mil/yr. and I am ok with that.  TY - FA WR - Drafted WR? - bring back Inman  ... the rest can fight it out in camp for the last couple spots and PS.  I think that would give us a Solid WR group.

https://www.pewterreport.com/srs-fab-5-can-arians-fix-rojos-mojo-bucs-should-pursue-veteran-rb/3/

40 minutes ago, esmort said:

Humphries is supposedly looking for at least $8 mil/yr and Spotrac has his market value at 4yr/$41.7 mil. ... so we are looking at $8-$11 mil//yr ... What's the "right price"?  Seems like any decent FA option at WR is going to be in that range.

I think if the Colts want to solidify the #2 WR position they may as well figure it is going to cost them ~$9 - $10 mil/yr. and I am ok with that.  TY - FA WR - Drafted WR? - bring back Inman  ... the rest can fight it out in camp for the last couple spots and PS.  I think that would give us a Solid WR group.

https://www.pewterreport.com/srs-fab-5-can-arians-fix-rojos-mojo-bucs-should-pursue-veteran-rb/3/

And maybe Cain will develop into a #2.

1 minute ago, dw49 said:

And maybe Cain will develop into a #2.

Maybe(and hopefully) ... always happy when we find great players via draft and if he does we will have a great WR group, but I am not basing my off season WR strategy on a 6th rnd rookie whose never played a real game & coming off an injury. Right now he is in the competing for one of the last roster spots group in my mind.

19 minutes ago, esmort said:

Maybe(and hopefully) ... always happy when we find great players via draft and if he does we will have a great WR group, but I am not basing my off season WR strategy on a 6th rnd rookie whose never played a real game & coming off an injury. Right now he is in the competing for one of the last roster spots group in my mind.

8 hours ago, chad72 said:

Considering they just forked over some cash for Jarvis Landry to play the slot, i don't see the Browns going after Humphries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Exactly. The right FA wide  receiver would be the ideal get. Instant benefits. 

The Bucs would be dumb to let Humphries walk, but then again he probably wants to go to a team with an actual Quarterback.

7 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

The Bucs would be dumb to let Humphries walk, but then again he probably wants to go to a team with an actual Quarterback.

He is supposedly going to want more $$$ than they are willing/able to pay and they also have Godwin ready to play a bigger role. 

On 2/15/2019 at 10:37 PM, BOTT said:

Considering they just forked over some cash for Jarvis Landry to play the slot, i don't see the Browns going after Humphries.

They have about 70+ mil. in cap space plus the Browns move Landry around and operate their offense like there’s no true #1, IMO.

They have a good chance to land Humphries, IMO.