Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chad72

Joe Flacco to be traded to the Broncos

Recommended Posts

Apparently Elway wasn't thrilled with the prospects in this years draft, so they wanted to entertain a cheaper (than Nick Foles) option, as a sort of stop-gap, until next years draft. 

 

I would've just signed Foles as the long term option, kid can sling it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Denver adding Flacco, might be good for the Jacoby Brissett trade market....  MIA still looking for a placeholder or starter.... JAX though I'd hate to help them, needs a QB  hopefully they don't land Foles.....  Are there other obvious QB needy teams I'm missing?  NYG, sure, but they have Manning for another year or 2, so probably want a rookie to groom....  Washington?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Denver adding Flacco, might be good for the Jacoby Brissett trade market....  MIA still looking for a placeholder or starter.... JAX though I'd hate to help them, needs a QB  hopefully they don't land Foles.....  Are there other obvious QB needy teams I'm missing?  NYG, sure, but they have Manning for another year or 2, so probably want a rookie to groom....  Washington?

 

I would love to get a future 1st rounder from one of them (NYG, Miami or Washington) if they decide to jump back into round 1 at our No.26 pick should they not draft a QB with their initial pick, and give us an extra 2nd and 3rd from this year's draft. The first round pick would be valuable for them to get the QB for a 5th year option, should things pan out. 

 

It was another poster that said it - if there are not enough blue chip players available at the end of the first round, and all the sure fire first rounders are gone, it is something to think about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Denver adding Flacco, might be good for the Jacoby Brissett trade market....  MIA still looking for a placeholder or starter.... JAX though I'd hate to help them, needs a QB  hopefully they don't land Foles.....  Are there other obvious QB needy teams I'm missing?  NYG, sure, but they have Manning for another year or 2, so probably want a rookie to groom....  Washington?

I was thinking the same thing.  A mid round pick for a 34 yr. old QB with a decent contract I assume.  Mia, Wash for sure, NYG too.  I'm thinking Foles to Jac.  The downside is it probably frees up more cap space to sign Mosley. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Apparently Elway wasn't thrilled with the prospects in this years draft, so they wanted to entertain a cheaper (than Nick Foles) option, as a sort of stop-gap, until next years draft. 

 

I would've just signed Foles as the long term option, kid can sling it. 

 

They could still draft a QB this year and use Flacco as the bridge QB.  If they want to wait until next year they would have to be near the top of the draft in order to get one of the better college QBs coming out.  Even then there is no guarantee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

They could still draft a QB this year and use Flacco as the bridge QB.  If they want to wait until next year they would have to be near the top of the draft in order to get one of the better college QBs coming out.  Even then there is no guarantee.

 

That's just it, apparently Elway isn't intrigued by any of this years guys, or they would have been in pretty decent position to land one of the 4 that are slotted to go in the 1st this year. On a side note, Elway hasn't exactly nailed the QB thing, in fact, he's struck out swinging. He has to start hitting, or he may be on his way out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

 

They could still draft a QB this year and use Flacco as the bridge QB.  If they want to wait until next year they would have to be near the top of the draft in order to get one of the better college QBs coming out.  Even then there is no guarantee.

They have a ton of space tied up in Flacco and Keenum, not sure they'd want to draft one early.....  Then again, Elway has given no indication that he knows what he is doing, or wants, at the QB position yet.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I think, thats good for Denver...

 

Not for their cap. Keenum and assuming Flacco's contract as well in exchange for a mid round pick, I heard. Too much tied at the QB position.

 

Edit: Saw Keenum's cap hit at $21 mil. if they keep him - he is guaranteed $7 mil. this year and their dead cap hit is $10 mil. if they release him, still have to pay him $7 mil. 

 

$17 mil. one way (dead cap plus what they have to pay him) and $21 mil. cap hit if they keep him, not sure which is better.

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/case-keenum-10079/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

That's just it, apparently Elway isn't intrigued by any of this years guys, or they would have been in pretty decent position to land one of the 4 that are slotted to go in the 1st this year. On a side note, Elway hasn't exactly nailed the QB thing, in fact, he's struck out swinging. He has to start hitting, or he may be on his way out. 

we posted the same thought at the exact same time lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

That's just it, apparently Elway isn't intrigued by any of this years guys, or they would have been in pretty decent position to land one of the 4 that are slotted to go in the 1st this year. On a side note, Elway hasn't exactly nailed the QB thing, in fact, he's struck out swinging. He has to start hitting, or he may be on his way out. 

 

I wasn't so much saying that he was interested in any of this years QBs coming out of college, more that waiting for next years draft would be a gamble too, unless they are near the top of the draft.  He could draft a QB this year to develop.  However, I agree with you his track record on acquiring a good QB has been really poor outside of what Peyton did for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe is a class act, and did a great job as QB for the Ravens. I think this is a double win for both teams. Joe will get a chance to resurrect his career in Denver, while the Ravens get a fourth round pick , and 10.5 million off the cap, even though they must absorb 16 million in dead money. That being said , he will be off the Ravens books in 2020. Good luck Joe, except against the Ravens ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better QB than what the Broncos have on their roster. It was a good move without looking at the money situation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Better QB than what the Broncos have on their roster. It was a good move without looking at the money situation. 

 

He might fit the Broncos' offense better than Keenum, but they're production has been basically the same over the last three years. And Flacco is probably the most aggressively average QB of the last few years, who has started to look like an old, declining player.

 

I don't really see Flacco as an upgrade. I get that Keenum wasn't good enough, but to make this move for a highly paid veteran, and eat $7m for Keenum, and you still need your QB of the future? I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they are still looking to draft a QB and Flacco is an expensive insurance policy/bridge. I can't believe they would really put all their eggs in the Flacco basket. 

 

Looks like not being able to hit on a QB is starting to get in Elway's head. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Joe is a class act, and did a great job as QB for the Ravens. I think this is a double win for both teams. Joe will get a chance to resurrect his career in Denver, while the Ravens get a fourth round pick , and 10.5 million off the cap, even though they must absorb 16 million in dead money. That being said , he will be off the Ravens books in 2020. Good luck Joe, except against the Ravens ! 

He put in many good years with the Ravens and got a Ring. Is he a Hall of Famer = EASY NO, but he was good for many years. How he works in Denver at the Age 34, not sure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He put in many good years with the Ravens and got a Ring. Is he a Hall of Famer = EASY NO, but he was good for many years. How he works in Denver at the Age 34, not sure?

 

He is not a Hall of Famer, but a sure fire Ravens Ring of Honor inductee. 

If he has a good offensive line and running game in Denver, plus upgraded receivers to what he had in Baltimore, he can have a very nice season for the Broncos. 

Another factor is Joe has been injured the last three years. Getting a fourth round pick, and salary cap relief immediately is a nice bonus for the Ravens. Still, Joe did a fine job, and although not elite, was a winning QB. You could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I think, thats good for Denver...

I feel bad for Case but well....6-10.

 

Elway wanst thrilled with any of the college QBs coming out..

Vic Fangio knows Joe Flacco …..Fangio wanted him.

Give the new coach the guy he wants, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Better QB than what the Broncos have on their roster. It was a good move without looking at the money situation. 

They've told Case he's moving on.... and Flacco's deal has 3 years left..none of them guaranteed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

They have a ton of space tied up in Flacco and Keenum, not sure they'd want to draft one early.....  Then again, Elway has given no indication that he knows what he is doing, or wants, at the QB position yet.....

They've told Case he's moving on...so they have as much money 'tied up' in the QB position as everybody else does

Elway signed Peyton when the couldn't throw ….2 Super Bowl berths....cant leave that outof his QB choices....

 

Flacco was pretty good before he got hurt this past year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Is Elway trying to get his * thrown out of Denver on purpose?

John Elway leaves Denver's front office when he wants to...

He's a 'made man' in Denver.

Its not like other situations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Not for their cap. Keenum and assuming Flacco's contract as well in exchange for a mid round pick, I heard. Too much tied at the QB position.

 

Edit: Saw Keenum's cap hit at $21 mil. if they keep him - he is guaranteed $7 mil. this year and their dead cap hit is $10 mil. if they release him, still have to pay him $7 mil. 

 

$17 mil. one way (dead cap plus what they have to pay him) and $21 mil. cap hit if they keep him, not sure which is better.

 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/case-keenum-10079/

 

Chad.....they've told Case he's moving on.

...and Denver has all rookies and 2nd year players at skill postions on offense.

They're paying them scale...and Flacco's final 3 years are NOT guaranteed.

There's just no risk here.

 

Now, its not KC, which is paying the MVP minimum wage..

..but Denver's cap situation is pretty good.

Its just a matter of whether Flacco is the guy he was early last season before he go hurt.

I dont know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

 

He is not a Hall of Famer, but a sure fire Ravens Ring of Honor inductee. 

If he has a good offensive line and running game in Denver, plus upgraded receivers to what he had in Baltimore, he can have a very nice season for the Broncos. 

Another factor is Joe has been injured the last three years. Getting a fourth round pick, and salary cap relief immediately is a nice bonus for the Ravens. Still, Joe did a fine job, and although not elite, was a winning QB. You could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco. 

I agree, Joe was good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elway just doesn't know how to handle the QB position very well. 

 

It seems that this QB move is pretty much nothing, maybe a loss for the Broncos.

Maybe a slight upgrade over Keenum, but maybe not. Case may have improved in a second year in Denver.
Case's numbers are very comparable to Flacco's, but the difference is that Case had played on a different team each season:
2016 - Rams
2017 - Vikings
2018 - Broncos

They gave up a 4th rounder for a maybe improvement.  And added a bunch of $$ to their cap. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

You could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco. 

 

If Fangio's D in Denver is as good as it was in Chicago he won't need an elite QB. He'll just need a good game manager who doesn't lose the game for the Broncos. I totally agree that they could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting how the career numbers are so similar. 

 

Flacco - Career rating - 84.1,  Career TD% - 3.7,  Career INT% - 2.4

Case K - Career rating - 84.5,  Career TD% - 3.5,  Career INT% - 2.3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Poor Case.  No team ever gives Keenum much of a chance.  But they never really upgrade from him much if at all when they replace him.  They replace Keenum and end up in a push.

 

I'd focus on other aspects of the team until Keenum proves he's actually the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Myles said:

Elway just doesn't know how to handle the QB position very well. 

 

It seems that this QB move is pretty much nothing, maybe a loss for the Broncos.

Maybe a slight upgrade over Keenum, but maybe not. Case may have improved in a second year in Denver.
Case's numbers are very comparable to Flacco's, but the difference is that Case had played on a different team each season:
2016 - Rams
2017 - Vikings
2018 - Broncos

They gave up a 4th rounder for a maybe improvement.  And added a bunch of $$ to their cap. 

 

 

Case's contract was designed for Denver to get out of it the second year....and Flacco's deal is not guaranteed.  I agree that Case  might have improved his second year but the entire Denver organization has never been very patient..

Also,Flacco's numbers last year don't count because he was hurt and then replaced...

 

What I have read is that new coach Vic Fangio knows Flacco...and likes him

This is a guy he wanted.

I guess you have to do it if your new coach wants the guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Poor Case.  No team ever gives Keenum much of a chance.  But they never really upgrade from him much if at all when they replace him.  They replace Keenum and end up in a push.

 

I'd focus on other aspects of the team until Keenum proves he's actually the problem.

Case is a very good guy....good leader

I'd like to keep him in Denver as the backup but that would be expensive and awkward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's interesting how the career numbers are so similar. 

 

Flacco - Career rating - 84.1,  Career TD% - 3.7,  Career INT% - 2.4

Case K - Career rating - 84.5,  Career TD% - 3.5,  Career INT% - 2.3

True but misleading

Obviously, Flacco has started for a decade and has won multiple playoff games.

 

But I know what you're saying.

Flacco couldn't get his job back in Baltimore

He's old and coming of a year when he was hurt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

 

If Fangio's D in Denver is as good as it was in Chicago he won't need an elite QB. He'll just need a good game manager who doesn't lose the game for the Broncos. I totally agree that they could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco.

That's what I'm reading....

They know Flacco's not Peyton...but few QBs have more experience

 

That top Denver draft pick  (No, 10 overall) isn't going to be a QB..... its going to be a CB or LB.

they already have Pro Bowl guys in Miller and Chubb and Chris Harris.

…..Guys like Derek Wolfe and Justin Simmons and Todd Davis are not scrubs.

 

They want to re-stock that defense to take on Kansas City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myles said:

Elway just doesn't know how to handle the QB position very well. 

 

It seems that this QB move is pretty much nothing, maybe a loss for the Broncos.

Maybe a slight upgrade over Keenum, but maybe not. Case may have improved in a second year in Denver.
Case's numbers are very comparable to Flacco's, but the difference is that Case had played on a different team each season:
2016 - Rams
2017 - Vikings
2018 - Broncos

They gave up a 4th rounder for a maybe improvement.  And added a bunch of $$ to their cap. 

 

 

 

Unfortunately for your Couch theories, the Professionals in charge of executing their plan, see adding Their guy as important.
 Elway as i recall won a SB with Manning when Manning kinda sucked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

Unfortunately for your Couch theories, the Professionals in charge of executing their plan, see adding Their guy as important.
 Elway as i recall won a SB with Manning when Manning kinda sucked.  

Elway does not have a good history when adding QB's.

 

I think they will get pretty much the same production out of Flacco as they would Keenum.   Keenum has a higher ceiling though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At best, this is like moving a seat in coach class, not like moving from coach to first class. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

Unfortunately for your Couch theories, the Professionals in charge of executing their plan, see adding Their guy as important.
 Elway as i recall won a SB with Manning when Manning kinda sucked.  

 

A few things Flacco does do better is his TD-INT ratio, and he doesn't throw floaters, they have more zip, even on his back shoulder throws. He was truly not asked to stretch the field as much as a Raven even though he had the arm, IMO. Keenum does bring more on the QB legs aspect but Keenum throws picks that are field position flippers, something Flacco does not do nearly as much as Keenum does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bottom line on Denver's chances to win their division in 2019 are zero or less than zero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Making it work through athleticism is an incorrect statement and does a huge disservice to Smith.  Smith is making it work at tackle by working hard and becoming a tackle.  I'm not sure what makes a "true tackle" but to me a guy that plays tackle and plays it very well is as much of a true tackle as anyone else. As far as AC (or AT if you prefer  ) aging... yup, every player on the team is aging so that is not a shock.  But he is still just 30 and tackles often play into their mid to late 30s so that is not much of a concern.  Not to say they won't draft a tackle in the next couple of drafts, but I doubt they will try to find a starting tackle in the next couple of drafts.
    • I didn't watch him much in college, I typically watch Big 10 football but I have watched him closely in the NFL and if the "experts" think he would make a better guard then yes I disagree with them.  While he would be a good guard in a zone blocking scheme like the Colts use, his lack of lower body strength and quick hand punch off the snap would hamper him going against NFL DTs.  Additionally, Smith does better when he has a bit of space to work with before engaging and that would not happen often at RG. Again what "most" people on this board or in general think has no relevance on anything.  It's not unheard of for a tackle to move spots but it is uncommon, it's happening a bit more in the past few years as the skillsets for RT and LT are becoming closer because it's not just the LT that is dealing with the speed rushers, but it's still not preferred among oline coaches and teams.  that is why guys like Haeg are considered valuable assets to a team, he's not a great lineman but he is good and he can switch sides seamlessly and that is rare.
    • Or maybe it's because he didnt claim Brissett "panicked" or act like he knows how good his vision is, and he isnt commenting on his read progressions.....you know things he couldnt possibly know anything about and dont show up on the film anyways.    
    • That was my thoughts.  If he was looking to Pascal first (and I'm sure he was), they had high / low bracket coverage, with low guy moving to Pascal but ready to reverse and cover Mack in the flat if he checks down. Big Q has his guy locked up right in the throwing lane to T.Y. but in position to bat down a pass. JB7 pulls it back here. He looks right (that extra 1/2 second) and both receivers are locked up (and actually one falling down in the end zone).   https://imgur.com/AYob5ov   Then decides to escape.     I think he waited a 1/2 second too long to leave.  He would have caused major issues to the defender covering the under receiver had JB7 escaped first and looked at the his options down field second.  Ryan Kelly just couldn't keep Chris Jones engaged long enough and thus he was on JB7 quickly forcing the throwaway once JB7 escaped the tackle box.   https://imgur.com/eXTWsJG   Maybe Glow is also inhibiting JB7's escape route too.   https://imgur.com/5Zk7Ttw     That was my feeling. I'd rather try again on 3rd down, or end up with 3 points (the end result), rather than turn over the ball and momentum by forcing it to Pascal there and getting a pick.  I'm not debating other times or other items he has to improve (but I'd like to see them on video before I join the criticism), just saw this one differently is all.   I think Reich has to devise and disguise the plays downfield better. And the young WR guys have to learn the plays and improve running the route tree.
    • Draft   23: R1P23 DL JAVON KINLAW SOUTH CAROLINA   35: R2P3 QB JORDAN LOVE UTAH STATE   55: R2P23 OT CALVIN THROCKMORTON OREGON   87: R3P23 LB TROY DYE OREGON   129: R4P23 S J.R. REED GEORGIA   166: R5P22 G NICK HARRIS WASHINGTON   201: R6P23 CB ESSANG BASSEY WAKE FOREST   203: R6P25 WR MICHAEL PITTMAN JR. USC   236: R7P23 CB KINDLE VILDOR GEORGIA SOUTHERN   As far as FA is concerned with our own players -TE: I'm not signing both Ebron and Doyle to big contracts. I'd pick one. Even with Ebron's drops, he still has more yards and TDs with the same amount of targets as Doyle. I'd probably resign Ebron and MAC, and let Doyle go unless he's will to sign a very friendly contract.   -WR: We'll have a decision to make with Funch depending on how well he does when he comes back. Both Pascal and Rogers are FAs, and I'd definitely try to upgrade at least one. Position wise, I think Rogers is more flexible, so I'd likely keep him if any. Really hoping Fountain comes back strong. Love what we were seeing from him.   -DE: Sheard? I just don't know. We need an upgrade at DE. Stinks that Turay is losing time due to injury. Regardless, I think I'd resign Sheard if it's a team friendly deal.   
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...