Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Joe Flacco to be traded to the Broncos

chad72

Denver adding Flacco, might be good for the Jacoby Brissett trade market....  MIA still looking for a placeholder or starter.... JAX though I'd hate to help them, needs a QB  hopefully they don't land Foles.....  Are there other obvious QB needy teams I'm missing?  NYG, sure, but they have Manning for another year or 2, so probably want a rookie to groom....  Washington?

10 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Denver adding Flacco, might be good for the Jacoby Brissett trade market....  MIA still looking for a placeholder or starter.... JAX though I'd hate to help them, needs a QB  hopefully they don't land Foles.....  Are there other obvious QB needy teams I'm missing?  NYG, sure, but they have Manning for another year or 2, so probably want a rookie to groom....  Washington?

I would love to get a future 1st rounder from one of them (NYG, Miami or Washington) if they decide to jump back into round 1 at our No.26 pick should they not draft a QB with their initial pick, and give us an extra 2nd and 3rd from this year's draft. The first round pick would be valuable for them to get the QB for a 5th year option, should things pan out. 

It was another poster that said it - if there are not enough blue chip players available at the end of the first round, and all the sure fire first rounders are gone, it is something to think about. 

14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  A mid round pick for a 34 yr. old QB with a decent contract I assume.  Mia, Wash for sure, NYG too.  I'm thinking Foles to Jac.  The downside is it probably frees up more cap space to sign Mosley. 

22 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Apparently Elway wasn't thrilled with the prospects in this years draft, so they wanted to entertain a cheaper (than Nick Foles) option, as a sort of stop-gap, until next years draft. 

I would've just signed Foles as the long term option, kid can sling it. 

They could still draft a QB this year and use Flacco as the bridge QB.  If they want to wait until next year they would have to be near the top of the draft in order to get one of the better college QBs coming out.  Even then there is no guarantee.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

They could still draft a QB this year and use Flacco as the bridge QB.  If they want to wait until next year they would have to be near the top of the draft in order to get one of the better college QBs coming out.  Even then there is no guarantee.

That's just it, apparently Elway isn't intrigued by any of this years guys, or they would have been in pretty decent position to land one of the 4 that are slotted to go in the 1st this year. On a side note, Elway hasn't exactly nailed the QB thing, in fact, he's struck out swinging. He has to start hitting, or he may be on his way out. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cynjin said:

They have a ton of space tied up in Flacco and Keenum, not sure they'd want to draft one early.....  Then again, Elway has given no indication that he knows what he is doing, or wants, at the QB position yet.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I think, thats good for Denver...

Not for their cap. Keenum and assuming Flacco's contract as well in exchange for a mid round pick, I heard. Too much tied at the QB position.

Edit: Saw Keenum's cap hit at $21 mil. if they keep him - he is guaranteed $7 mil. this year and their dead cap hit is $10 mil. if they release him, still have to pay him $7 mil. 

$17 mil. one way (dead cap plus what they have to pay him) and $21 mil. cap hit if they keep him, not sure which is better.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/case-keenum-10079/

Just now, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

That's just it, apparently Elway isn't intrigued by any of this years guys, or they would have been in pretty decent position to land one of the 4 that are slotted to go in the 1st this year. On a side note, Elway hasn't exactly nailed the QB thing, in fact, he's struck out swinging. He has to start hitting, or he may be on his way out. 

we posted the same thought at the exact same time lol

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I wasn't so much saying that he was interested in any of this years QBs coming out of college, more that waiting for next years draft would be a gamble too, unless they are near the top of the draft.  He could draft a QB this year to develop.  However, I agree with you his track record on acquiring a good QB has been really poor outside of what Peyton did for them.

Joe is a class act, and did a great job as QB for the Ravens. I think this is a double win for both teams. Joe will get a chance to resurrect his career in Denver, while the Ravens get a fourth round pick , and 10.5 million off the cap, even though they must absorb 16 million in dead money. That being said , he will be off the Ravens books in 2020. Good luck Joe, except against the Ravens ! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Better QB than what the Broncos have on their roster. It was a good move without looking at the money situation. 

He might fit the Broncos' offense better than Keenum, but they're production has been basically the same over the last three years. And Flacco is probably the most aggressively average QB of the last few years, who has started to look like an old, declining player.

I don't really see Flacco as an upgrade. I get that Keenum wasn't good enough, but to make this move for a highly paid veteran, and eat $7m for Keenum, and you still need your QB of the future? I don't get it.

I think they are still looking to draft a QB and Flacco is an expensive insurance policy/bridge. I can't believe they would really put all their eggs in the Flacco basket. 

Looks like not being able to hit on a QB is starting to get in Elway's head. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

Joe is a class act, and did a great job as QB for the Ravens. I think this is a double win for both teams. Joe will get a chance to resurrect his career in Denver, while the Ravens get a fourth round pick , and 10.5 million off the cap, even though they must absorb 16 million in dead money. That being said , he will be off the Ravens books in 2020. Good luck Joe, except against the Ravens ! 

He put in many good years with the Ravens and got a Ring. Is he a Hall of Famer = EASY NO, but he was good for many years. How he works in Denver at the Age 34, not sure?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He put in many good years with the Ravens and got a Ring. Is he a Hall of Famer = EASY NO, but he was good for many years. How he works in Denver at the Age 34, not sure?

He is not a Hall of Famer, but a sure fire Ravens Ring of Honor inductee. 

If he has a good offensive line and running game in Denver, plus upgraded receivers to what he had in Baltimore, he can have a very nice season for the Broncos. 

Another factor is Joe has been injured the last three years. Getting a fourth round pick, and salary cap relief immediately is a nice bonus for the Ravens. Still, Joe did a fine job, and although not elite, was a winning QB. You could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

They have a ton of space tied up in Flacco and Keenum, not sure they'd want to draft one early.....  Then again, Elway has given no indication that he knows what he is doing, or wants, at the QB position yet.....

They've told Case he's moving on...so they have as much money 'tied up' in the QB position as everybody else does

Elway signed Peyton when the couldn't throw ….2 Super Bowl berths....cant leave that outof his QB choices....

Flacco was pretty good before he got hurt this past year...

• Like 3

18 hours ago, chad72 said:

Not for their cap. Keenum and assuming Flacco's contract as well in exchange for a mid round pick, I heard. Too much tied at the QB position.

Edit: Saw Keenum's cap hit at $21 mil. if they keep him - he is guaranteed $7 mil. this year and their dead cap hit is $10 mil. if they release him, still have to pay him $7 mil. 

$17 mil. one way (dead cap plus what they have to pay him) and $21 mil. cap hit if they keep him, not sure which is better.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/case-keenum-10079/

Chad.....they've told Case he's moving on.

...and Denver has all rookies and 2nd year players at skill postions on offense.

They're paying them scale...and Flacco's final 3 years are NOT guaranteed.

There's just no risk here.

Now, its not KC, which is paying the MVP minimum wage..

..but Denver's cap situation is pretty good.

Its just a matter of whether Flacco is the guy he was early last season before he go hurt.

I dont know.

11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

He is not a Hall of Famer, but a sure fire Ravens Ring of Honor inductee. 

If he has a good offensive line and running game in Denver, plus upgraded receivers to what he had in Baltimore, he can have a very nice season for the Broncos. 

Another factor is Joe has been injured the last three years. Getting a fourth round pick, and salary cap relief immediately is a nice bonus for the Ravens. Still, Joe did a fine job, and although not elite, was a winning QB. You could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco. 

I agree, Joe was good.

• Like 3

Elway just doesn't know how to handle the QB position very well. 

It seems that this QB move is pretty much nothing, maybe a loss for the Broncos.

Maybe a slight upgrade over Keenum, but maybe not. Case may have improved in a second year in Denver.
Case's numbers are very comparable to Flacco's, but the difference is that Case had played on a different team each season:
2016 - Rams
2017 - Vikings
2018 - Broncos

They gave up a 4th rounder for a maybe improvement.  And added a bunch of $$ to their cap. 

Poor Case.  No team ever gives Keenum much of a chance.  But they never really upgrade from him much if at all when they replace him.  They replace Keenum and end up in a push.

I'd focus on other aspects of the team until Keenum proves he's actually the problem.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Myles said:

It seems that this QB move is pretty much nothing, maybe a loss for the Broncos.

Maybe a slight upgrade over Keenum, but maybe not. Case may have improved in a second year in Denver.
Case's numbers are very comparable to Flacco's, but the difference is that Case had played on a different team each season:
2016 - Rams
2017 - Vikings
2018 - Broncos

They gave up a 4th rounder for a maybe improvement.  And added a bunch of $$ to their cap. 

Case's contract was designed for Denver to get out of it the second year....and Flacco's deal is not guaranteed.  I agree that Case  might have improved his second year but the entire Denver organization has never been very patient..

Also,Flacco's numbers last year don't count because he was hurt and then replaced...

What I have read is that new coach Vic Fangio knows Flacco...and likes him

This is a guy he wanted.

I guess you have to do it if your new coach wants the guy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Poor Case.  No team ever gives Keenum much of a chance.  But they never really upgrade from him much if at all when they replace him.  They replace Keenum and end up in a push.

I'd focus on other aspects of the team until Keenum proves he's actually the problem.

Case is a very good guy....good leader

I'd like to keep him in Denver as the backup but that would be expensive and awkward

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

It's interesting how the career numbers are so similar. 

Flacco - Career rating - 84.1,  Career TD% - 3.7,  Career INT% - 2.4

Case K - Career rating - 84.5,  Career TD% - 3.5,  Career INT% - 2.3

True but misleading

Obviously, Flacco has started for a decade and has won multiple playoff games.

But I know what you're saying.

Flacco couldn't get his job back in Baltimore

He's old and coming of a year when he was hurt

24 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If Fangio's D in Denver is as good as it was in Chicago he won't need an elite QB. He'll just need a good game manager who doesn't lose the game for the Broncos. I totally agree that they could do a lot worse than Joe Flacco.

That's what I'm reading....

They know Flacco's not Peyton...but few QBs have more experience

That top Denver draft pick  (No, 10 overall) isn't going to be a QB..... its going to be a CB or LB.

they already have Pro Bowl guys in Miller and Chubb and Chris Harris.

…..Guys like Derek Wolfe and Justin Simmons and Todd Davis are not scrubs.

They want to re-stock that defense to take on Kansas City

1 hour ago, Myles said:

2016 - Rams
2017 - Vikings
2018 - Broncos

Unfortunately for your Couch theories, the Professionals in charge of executing their plan, see adding Their guy as important.
 Elway as i recall won a SB with Manning when Manning kinda sucked.  

13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Unfortunately for your Couch theories, the Professionals in charge of executing their plan, see adding Their guy as important.

Elway does not have a good history when adding QB's.

I think they will get pretty much the same production out of Flacco as they would Keenum.   Keenum has a higher ceiling though.  

42 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

A few things Flacco does do better is his TD-INT ratio, and he doesn't throw floaters, they have more zip, even on his back shoulder throws. He was truly not asked to stretch the field as much as a Raven even though he had the arm, IMO. Keenum does bring more on the QB legs aspect but Keenum throws picks that are field position flippers, something Flacco does not do nearly as much as Keenum does.