Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DT Jeffery Simmons Injuries Knee (Probable ACL Tear)

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well the good news is its February so he'll be on the pup list to start the season, but he wont miss the whole season

Debatable. I can see him lingering on IR for quite a while if not all season.  ACLs are weird, some come back sooner, others are screwed like me and take forever just to be able to walk without pain. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Debatable. I can see him lingering on IR for quite a while if not all season.  ACLs are weird, some come back sooner, others are screwed like me and take forever just to be able to walk without pain. 

Agreed. 8 months to a year and with a rookie not practicing with the team all year, shouldn’t take significant snaps in December/January.

• Like 1

Just now, TheMose said:

Agreed. 8 months to a year and with a rookie not practicing with the team all year, shouldn’t take significant snaps in December/January.

Lewis missed half the season and he was playing significant snaps down the stretch 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Very true especially for bigger guys like simmons. we'll see. 

• Like 1

This reminds me a lot of Sidney Jones

He was a consensus top-15 or so player and the #1CB on most boards before he tore his Achilles during his pro day I think.

He went from top-15 to being picked in the second round at pick 43.

I can see Simmons falling to the mid or late second round but likely not any further.

His character issues might make him linger till the end of the second but I see him more likely going in the first half of the second round.

Teams are more willing to take chances on guys w talent to redshirt them and still have 3-4 years of cheap control on a rookie contract.

If nothing more this might make Simmons more attractive to teams. Some teams may have been hesitant to spend a 1st round pick on him with his character concerns, but it is a lot easier to stomach spending a mid- second round pick on a top-15 talent.

Simmons' medical reports will go out to all 32 teams.    Assuming our Doctors sign off them,  then I want him bad, Bad, BAD!!

With pick 34!

Jeffrey Simmons,  Come On Down and Welcome to the COLTS!!

Hot Damn!!

p.s. --- and I don't care if he can't play a down for us in 2019.    He's too good to pass on anymore.     Think Jaylon Smith.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Simmons' medical reports will go out to all 32 teams.    Assuming our Doctors sign off them,  then I want him bad, Bad, BAD!!

With pick 34!

Jeffrey Simmons,  Come On Down and Welcome to the COLTS!!

Hot Damn!!

p.s. --- and I don't care if he can't play a down for us in 2019.    He's too good to pass on anymore.     Think Jaylon Smith.

It could be a bit like Smith and a bit like the Jax getting both Ramsey and Jack in the same draft. Jack was widely considered one of the best players in the draft but he dropped due to his injury. You might be right that we will have to get him with the early second round pick. 

1 minute ago, stitches said:

It could be a bit like Smith and a bit like the Jax getting both Ramsey and Jack in the same draft. Jack was widely considered one of the best players in the draft but he dropped due to his injury. You might be right that we will have to get him with the early second round pick. 

Jarrett Jack is another excellent comp, and he too went toward the top of the 2nd round.

So glad your memory is sharper than mine!

Boy, I'd love for this to work out in the Colts favor!     Would be HUGE!!

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jarrett Jack is another excellent comp, and he too went toward the top of the 2nd round.

The thing is... here the injury is accompanied with an off-the-field incident. That's why I initially thought we might wait for the end of the second round, but you are probably right that some desperate team will just pick him up like the did with Mixon for example.

It's somewhat easy to figure out how serious injury affects draft status of high end 1st round talent(Jack, Jaylon Smith, Sydney Jones).

It's somewhat easy to figure out how off-field incidents affect draft status of players(Mixon, Callaway, etc).

The thing we don't know is whether the effect of him having both will be compounding here or it will be treated as a simple 'elite player with red flags'. I don't know. We don't really know if Ballard or our medical staff will clear him at all, but yah... he's definitely a high end talent that might be a steal for us down the road. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know you meant Myles Jack.

But interestingly, Jarrett Jack played PG for the Pacers at some point....I think. 

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

This will bump other 3-techs like Wilkins and Tillery up the boards a bit.

I wouldn't blame Ballard one bit if he gets Simmons with No.34 but would understand if he did not as well. 

Which isn’t good for the Colts. I was hoping Wilkins would fall to us in the 1st. There’s still hope though.

I don't know. Probably not a popular opinion...but I don't think I am picking him unless it's in the 3rd round at least. 

Yes there are definitely examples of guys that had pre-draft injuries and came back. But those weren't 300 lb DLmen. I am sure there are examples...but I can't think of any...where big DL player tore his ACL and came back as the same player.

Just seems like the chance for re-injury or other injuries will be high. Remember Arthur Jones (man I hated that signing)? It wasn't his knee...but he just couldn't get healthy.

I'm willing to roll the dice and grab him at 34 if he clears all medical and character checks the Colts will likely run.

If it works out, he's literally the best (or second best depending on who you ask) DT in the entire draft and is the type of player that can transform a defense.

Regarding his off field issue, it's not a good thing at all, but the dude was like 18 and still in high school (I think), and the entire situation was pretty toxic as well. If the team has reason to believe he's grown from it, then I am too. 

I think a bunch of you guys that have said so are spot on that if we want Simmons and he falls, we would have to be willing to take him with that 34 pick.

I do not think he slides to our second 2nd rounder (59th overall) despite the injury and character concerns.

If S.Jones goes 43rd when everyone knew he would miss the year and Jaylon Smith goes 34th when everyone knew he would miss the year, then I fully expect a guy like Simmons to go in the top 45 or so picks.

While his talent certainly justifies the 34th pick even when injured, if I were Ballard and I really wanted him and he was lingering, I would consider trading the 34th pick to a team eager to move up on that second day and try to fall back to the middle of the second round and get extra picks.

At the end of the day, Simmons' talent would be nice to have. I am just not sure I would spend that 34th pick on him w the injury and character concerns if there are other talented players available at the top of the 2nd round that potentially linger.

I feel bad for Simmons. Guy should have been a high first round pick or at the worst a lower first round pick. Now I have no idea what to expect for him.

I am still trying to determine how I feel about his incident. On one hand if it was my sister getting into a fight and I was there you can bet I will be getting involved in one way or another. However I would have done my absolute best to keep the fight from happening. On the other hand the biggest issue with is he was hitting her while she was already on the ground and that's not cool at all. I will say I was an adamant defender for Joe Mixon, but I am not sure if I can defend Simmons. I am sure a change of scenery  would help him, but for now I am not sure sure if I will be on that band wagon but in Ballard I trust.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waka waka said:

i don't think he will make it out of the second. but you never know.

I’d say if he didn’t have the red flags he had going in, maybe he gets a second round pick up but I’m with many, he hits third round due to the combination of the two issues imho. I’d trade a 7th rounder plus our third to move up a few spots in the mid third if he is still around. I’d then just IR him for the first season, no questions asked. Get the knee, mind and body fully healed for the 2020 season. Lots of film room awork and upper body strengthening as well as conditioning for the 2019 year. See how he handles that inside the locker room and in his personal life. 

Jaylon Smith’s injury was much more severe. He tore ligaments and suffered nerve damage. There were questions if the nerve would regenerate and he would be able play in the NFL. 

ACLs are much more common and a solid history of players coming back to full speed or near full speed. Achilles is worse than a ACL as well

I would be VERY happy getting him with the first 2nd round pick

Its a bummer that he wont be available next year...... but this isnt a one year plan to win

We just have to get better every year.

We STILL need a DE (or two) 1 in FA, 1 with draft

Round 1 - Burns, Sweat, or Polite (MAYBE one is left)

Round 2 - Simmons

Round 2 - the "WR pick" Butler, Ridley, Lil Jordan Humphries or Cambell

Round 3 - the best CB, LB, OT, or RB left (I would LOVE David Montgomery, or Bennie Snell - RB)

This would be a HUGE haul, and may yield 4 starters   

I think if he checks out okay the Colts will take him with the 26th. pick if he is still there.  He is the ideal player Ballard is looking for at DT and is a top 10/15 value.  Ballard is always looking for value.  I don't see him lasting to our 34th.   I think he will take him at 26 and therefore get that 5th. year option.  Like someone said we do have an extra high pick so we can afford to take an injured stud early.  

1 minute ago, pacolts56 said:

Under normal circumstances,  I could buy into the idea of drafting him with perhaps our second of two Round 2 picks and letting him heal up in 2019. 

However.... that video of him beating a woman should, IMO, cancel him entirely as a Colts prospect.

Normally, I'd feel the same way. At the same time, I believe he was 16-17 in that video, and it was some form of family feud, where one family member of his figuratively spitted on the grave of another dead one.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, twfish said:

I am still trying to determine how I feel about his incident. On one hand if it was my sister getting into a fight and I was there you can bet I will be getting involved in one way or another. However I would have done my absolute best to keep the fight from happening. On the other hand the biggest issue with is he was hitting her while she was already on the ground and that's not cool at all. I will say I was an adamant defender for Joe Mixon, but I am not sure if I can defend Simmons. I am sure a change of scenery  would help him, but for now I am not sure sure if I will be on that band wagon but in Ballard I trust.

I am the opposite.  Simmons was defending someone’s honor even if it was still really bad.  I was anti Mixon from the start.