TJ Hockenson looks like a great all around TE, in the mold of a Gronk (obviously most likely won't achieve that level of greatness). He is a great catcher of the ball, runs solid routes, great catch radius, and waiiiit for iiiit...he blocks exceptionally well! I, for one, wouldn't be upset if the Colts grabbed him with the latter 2nd rounder, or 3rd. He most likely won't last that long, but the way Reich, and Luck, utilize the TE, he would be an excellent addition. Who knows how well Doyle is gonna hold up, or how consistent Ebron will be. I like him more than Fant, he seems to be much more of a complete TE. 

Upgrading our TE position with such lofty draft capital in the second round seems highly unlikely.  I'm not even sure the rookie would beat out the two we have.

• Like 1

With the rumblings that there may be long term issues with Doyle's hip, I don't think you can discount him. He's a great all around TE prospect and would fit what we do.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

TJ Hockenson looks like a great all around TE, in the mold of a Gronk (obviously most likely won't achieve that level of greatness). He is a great catcher of the ball, runs solid routes, great catch radius, and waiiiit for iiiit...he blocks exceptionally well! I, for one, wouldn't be upset if the Colts grabbed him with the latter 2nd rounder, or 3rd. He most likely won't last that long, but the way Reich, and Luck, utilize the TE, he would be an excellent addition. Who knows how well Doyle is gonna hold up, or how consistent Ebron will be. I like him more than Fant, he seems to be much more of a complete TE. 

By all means draft him with our 3rd.  :cheers:

I will take a shot and guess we draft a Doyle Jr. in rd 4 or 5.

• Like 1

I know there are a million mock drafts out there but this one on CBS has him going in the 1st round to the Titans. I don't know enough on the subject to know if this is accurate or not but thought it was interesting after seeing this thread.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-trade-up-for-qb-steelers-land-top-wr-to-replace-antonio-brown/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I know there are a million mock drafts out there but this one on CBS has him going in the 1st round to the Titans. I don't know enough on the subject to know if this is accurate or not but thought it was interesting after seeing this thread.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-trade-up-for-qb-steelers-land-top-wr-to-replace-antonio-brown/

Yeah he should be the first TE taken, either him or his teammate Noah Fant. Fant is more one-dimensional, more of a pure receiver, and Hockenson more of a complete do-it-all TE. Although Hockenson is fairly proficient at everything, he isn't truly great at anything. Not sure which skillset I'd prefer in Reich's scheme?

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

By all means draft him with our 3rd.  :cheers:

I will take a shot and guess we draft a Doyle Jr. in rd 4 or 5.

We'd probably have a better shot at Fant, later in the draft, Hockenson will likely go in the 1st. If not, they'd almost have to grab him with the Jets pick, because he'll be long gone by the end of the 2nd. That's my opinion, anyways. 

I have a pretty good feeling, that we’ll draft a TE. Just not sure with our top pick. The TE class is pretty solid. Josh Oliver from San Jose state in the 3rd round is my pick. 

From what ive been reading is TJ is a top 15 player in this draft and is being compared to Kelce. Also, reading is he won't make it out of the 1st round. I truly believe if he does end up falling to us in round 1 and he's the best on the board I see Ballard drafting him especially knowing Ebron and Doyle are free agents after the year.

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

From what ive been reading is TJ is a top 15 player in this draft and is being compared to Kelce. Also, reading is he won't make it out of the 1st round. I truly believe if he does end up falling to us in round 1 and he's the best on the board I see Ballard drafting him especially knowing Ebron and Doyle are free agents after the year.

Man, I don't know how I'd feel about a TE at 26, especially with so many other, seemingly greater, needs.

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

I'd rather they went WR or RB over TE...and I'd strongly dislike either of those lol 

• Like 1

I just saw TEs like Ebron and Trey Burton go to different teams and function just fine last year, so I am not so sure we need a TE with pick 26.

Safeties that could not cover TEs and RBs, plus defensive linemen that could not disrupt, plus WRs that couldn't separate/catch well was where we came up short the most in our losses, IMO.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Upgrading our TE position with such lofty draft capital in the second round seems highly unlikely.  I'm not even sure the rookie would beat out the two we have.

I thought the Colts only had 1 TE... the others were receivers. :)

Just kidding, you just lofted that softball up there so I had to take a swing.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I thought the Colts only had 1 TE... the others were receivers. :)

Just kidding, you just lofted that softball up there so I had to take a swing.

I guess Hockenson is so good he could replace both roles with one roster spot and play 125% of the snaps.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Yeah he should be the first TE taken, either him or his teammate Noah Fant. Fant is more one-dimensional, more of a pure receiver, and Hockenson more of a complete do-it-all TE. Although Hockenson is fairly proficient at everything, he isn't truly great at anything. Not sure which skillset I'd prefer in Reich's scheme?

This

Fant is Eric Ebron, Hockenson is Jack Doyle but probably with a higher ceiling.  

It was weird as an Iowa fan though.  During the season, Fant is the player that got all the attention from the broadcast crews.  They constantly would say "Where is Fant", "Throw it to Fant" talked up his athletic ability non stop.  

Then Hockenson goes ahead and declares (boo!!! unless he goes to the Colts) and suddenly Hockenson is projected as a 1st rounder above Noah Fant.

I could see us potentially drafting him.  With Doyle and Ebron we are pretty deep at TE but at the same time both have contracts that run out after next season AND our offense uses the TE pretty heavily.  I think that's why we picked up Ebron in the offeseason, because Reich essentially wanted 2 TE's who where starters.  

I will say I think Hockenson has better hands than Fant.  Fant's hands arn't bad but Hockenson seemed to come up with some tough catches.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

This

Fant is Eric Ebron, Hockenson is Jack Doyle but probably with a higher ceiling.  

It was weird as an Iowa fan though.  During the season, Fant is the player that got all the attention from the broadcast crews.  They constantly would say "Where is Fant", "Throw it to Fant" talked up his athletic ability non stop.  

Then Hockenson goes ahead and declares (boo!!! unless he goes to the Colts) and suddenly Hockenson is projected as a 1st rounder above Noah Fant.

I could see us potentially drafting him.  With Doyle and Ebron we are pretty deep at TE but at the same time both have contracts that run out after next season AND our offense uses the TE pretty heavily.  I think that's why we picked up Ebron in the offeseason, because Reich essentially wanted 2 TE's who where starters.  

I will say I think Hockenson has better hands than Fant.  Fant's hands arn't bad but Hockenson seemed to come up with some tough catches.    

Good to hear some insight from a Hawkeye fan. At this point, I have no clue what Ballard is gonna do. I assume, based on what he's said -and done previously- that he's gonna take someone that will create a pass rush, but he also talks about the need for a WR to compliment TY, and the injuries to Doyle hampering Reich's scheme...so, he could literally go anywhere with those first few picks. Gonna be interesting to see this offseason unfold, thankfully the league-year is getting ready to start, because I'm getting impatient lol

5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Let's not forget that DEEP depth we have at TE currently.....only 1 was drafted. We have greater needs to tend to in this draft.

I agree. Although after this upcoming season, that depth turns to weakness when Doyle and Ebron are both FAs. Would be nice to have a young playmaker on a rookie deal, so that signing those guys doesn't become paramount to other more important needs.

• Like 1

If he's the best player left on the board round 2, snag him. Possibly Doyle or Ebron replacement after a few seasons.

14 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Good to hear some insight from a Hawkeye fan. At this point, I have no clue what Ballard is gonna do. I assume, based on what he's said -and done previously- that he's gonna take someone that will create a pass rush, but he also talks about the need for a WR to compliment TY, and the injuries to Doyle hampering Reich's scheme...so, he could literally go anywhere with those first few picks. Gonna be interesting to see this offseason unfold, thankfully the league-year is getting ready to start, because I'm getting impatient lol

I would think that Ballard will probably concentrate on defense, but at the same time as far down as we are on the draft board, we are in a sense at the mercy of what other teams decide to do.  He will still take the best player available that makes sense.  

I wouldn't consider TE a high need but I think it's more of a need than most people on here think it is.  If things go like they did last season Ebron is going to finish his contract wanting a lot of money, that I personally don't think he's worth.  (I think his numbers are the result of our system, and I don't much like the idea of floating a big top 5 contract to a guy who has an issue with the drops)

• Like 1

I’ve seen Hockenson compared to former Ravens te Todd Heap. I think it’s a fair comparison. He doesn’t look exceptional athletically, but he’s a mauler in run game with refined routes and the ability to stretch the seam.

Fant reminds me of Jared Cook.