Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SouthernIndianaNDFan

TJ Hockenson anyone?

Recommended Posts

TJ Hockenson looks like a great all around TE, in the mold of a Gronk (obviously most likely won't achieve that level of greatness). He is a great catcher of the ball, runs solid routes, great catch radius, and waiiiit for iiiit...he blocks exceptionally well! I, for one, wouldn't be upset if the Colts grabbed him with the latter 2nd rounder, or 3rd. He most likely won't last that long, but the way Reich, and Luck, utilize the TE, he would be an excellent addition. Who knows how well Doyle is gonna hold up, or how consistent Ebron will be. I like him more than Fant, he seems to be much more of a complete TE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrading our TE position with such lofty draft capital in the second round seems highly unlikely.  I'm not even sure the rookie would beat out the two we have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the rumblings that there may be long term issues with Doyle's hip, I don't think you can discount him. He's a great all around TE prospect and would fit what we do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

TJ Hockenson looks like a great all around TE, in the mold of a Gronk (obviously most likely won't achieve that level of greatness). He is a great catcher of the ball, runs solid routes, great catch radius, and waiiiit for iiiit...he blocks exceptionally well! I, for one, wouldn't be upset if the Colts grabbed him with the latter 2nd rounder, or 3rd. He most likely won't last that long, but the way Reich, and Luck, utilize the TE, he would be an excellent addition. Who knows how well Doyle is gonna hold up, or how consistent Ebron will be. I like him more than Fant, he seems to be much more of a complete TE. 

 

 By all means draft him with our 3rd.  :cheers:
 

 I will take a shot and guess we draft a Doyle Jr. in rd 4 or 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know there are a million mock drafts out there but this one on CBS has him going in the 1st round to the Titans. I don't know enough on the subject to know if this is accurate or not but thought it was interesting after seeing this thread.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-trade-up-for-qb-steelers-land-top-wr-to-replace-antonio-brown/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I know there are a million mock drafts out there but this one on CBS has him going in the 1st round to the Titans. I don't know enough on the subject to know if this is accurate or not but thought it was interesting after seeing this thread.

 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-mock-draft-giants-trade-up-for-qb-steelers-land-top-wr-to-replace-antonio-brown/

 

 

Yeah he should be the first TE taken, either him or his teammate Noah Fant. Fant is more one-dimensional, more of a pure receiver, and Hockenson more of a complete do-it-all TE. Although Hockenson is fairly proficient at everything, he isn't truly great at anything. Not sure which skillset I'd prefer in Reich's scheme?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 By all means draft him with our 3rd.  :cheers:
 

 I will take a shot and guess we draft a Doyle Jr. in rd 4 or 5.

 

We'd probably have a better shot at Fant, later in the draft, Hockenson will likely go in the 1st. If not, they'd almost have to grab him with the Jets pick, because he'll be long gone by the end of the 2nd. That's my opinion, anyways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a pretty good feeling, that we’ll draft a TE. Just not sure with our top pick. The TE class is pretty solid. Josh Oliver from San Jose state in the 3rd round is my pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what ive been reading is TJ is a top 15 player in this draft and is being compared to Kelce. Also, reading is he won't make it out of the 1st round. I truly believe if he does end up falling to us in round 1 and he's the best on the board I see Ballard drafting him especially knowing Ebron and Doyle are free agents after the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

From what ive been reading is TJ is a top 15 player in this draft and is being compared to Kelce. Also, reading is he won't make it out of the 1st round. I truly believe if he does end up falling to us in round 1 and he's the best on the board I see Ballard drafting him especially knowing Ebron and Doyle are free agents after the year.

 

Man, I don't know how I'd feel about a TE at 26, especially with so many other, seemingly greater, needs.

1 hour ago, Coltsfan0112 said:

From what ive been reading is TJ is a top 15 player in this draft and is being compared to Kelce. Also, reading is he won't make it out of the 1st round. I truly believe if he does end up falling to us in round 1 and he's the best on the board I see Ballard drafting him especially knowing Ebron and Doyle are free agents after the year.

I'd rather they went WR or RB over TE...and I'd strongly dislike either of those lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw TEs like Ebron and Trey Burton go to different teams and function just fine last year, so I am not so sure we need a TE with pick 26.

 

Safeties that could not cover TEs and RBs, plus defensive linemen that could not disrupt, plus WRs that couldn't separate/catch well was where we came up short the most in our losses, IMO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DougDew said:

Upgrading our TE position with such lofty draft capital in the second round seems highly unlikely.  I'm not even sure the rookie would beat out the two we have.

I thought the Colts only had 1 TE... the others were receivers. :)

 

 

Just kidding, you just lofted that softball up there so I had to take a swing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I thought the Colts only had 1 TE... the others were receivers. :)

 

 

Just kidding, you just lofted that softball up there so I had to take a swing.

I guess Hockenson is so good he could replace both roles with one roster spot and play 125% of the snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2019 at 11:38 AM, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

Yeah he should be the first TE taken, either him or his teammate Noah Fant. Fant is more one-dimensional, more of a pure receiver, and Hockenson more of a complete do-it-all TE. Although Hockenson is fairly proficient at everything, he isn't truly great at anything. Not sure which skillset I'd prefer in Reich's scheme?

 

This

 

Fant is Eric Ebron, Hockenson is Jack Doyle but probably with a higher ceiling.  

 

It was weird as an Iowa fan though.  During the season, Fant is the player that got all the attention from the broadcast crews.  They constantly would say "Where is Fant", "Throw it to Fant" talked up his athletic ability non stop.  

 

Then Hockenson goes ahead and declares (boo!!! unless he goes to the Colts) and suddenly Hockenson is projected as a 1st rounder above Noah Fant.

 

I could see us potentially drafting him.  With Doyle and Ebron we are pretty deep at TE but at the same time both have contracts that run out after next season AND our offense uses the TE pretty heavily.  I think that's why we picked up Ebron in the offeseason, because Reich essentially wanted 2 TE's who where starters.  

 

I will say I think Hockenson has better hands than Fant.  Fant's hands arn't bad but Hockenson seemed to come up with some tough catches.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

This

 

Fant is Eric Ebron, Hockenson is Jack Doyle but probably with a higher ceiling.  

 

It was weird as an Iowa fan though.  During the season, Fant is the player that got all the attention from the broadcast crews.  They constantly would say "Where is Fant", "Throw it to Fant" talked up his athletic ability non stop.  

 

Then Hockenson goes ahead and declares (boo!!! unless he goes to the Colts) and suddenly Hockenson is projected as a 1st rounder above Noah Fant.

 

I could see us potentially drafting him.  With Doyle and Ebron we are pretty deep at TE but at the same time both have contracts that run out after next season AND our offense uses the TE pretty heavily.  I think that's why we picked up Ebron in the offeseason, because Reich essentially wanted 2 TE's who where starters.  

 

I will say I think Hockenson has better hands than Fant.  Fant's hands arn't bad but Hockenson seemed to come up with some tough catches.    

 

Good to hear some insight from a Hawkeye fan. At this point, I have no clue what Ballard is gonna do. I assume, based on what he's said -and done previously- that he's gonna take someone that will create a pass rush, but he also talks about the need for a WR to compliment TY, and the injuries to Doyle hampering Reich's scheme...so, he could literally go anywhere with those first few picks. Gonna be interesting to see this offseason unfold, thankfully the league-year is getting ready to start, because I'm getting impatient lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's not forget that DEEP depth we have at TE currently.....only 1 was drafted. We have greater needs to tend to in this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Let's not forget that DEEP depth we have at TE currently.....only 1 was drafted. We have greater needs to tend to in this draft.

 

I agree. Although after this upcoming season, that depth turns to weakness when Doyle and Ebron are both FAs. Would be nice to have a young playmaker on a rookie deal, so that signing those guys doesn't become paramount to other more important needs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's the best player left on the board round 2, snag him. Possibly Doyle or Ebron replacement after a few seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

 

Good to hear some insight from a Hawkeye fan. At this point, I have no clue what Ballard is gonna do. I assume, based on what he's said -and done previously- that he's gonna take someone that will create a pass rush, but he also talks about the need for a WR to compliment TY, and the injuries to Doyle hampering Reich's scheme...so, he could literally go anywhere with those first few picks. Gonna be interesting to see this offseason unfold, thankfully the league-year is getting ready to start, because I'm getting impatient lol

 

I would think that Ballard will probably concentrate on defense, but at the same time as far down as we are on the draft board, we are in a sense at the mercy of what other teams decide to do.  He will still take the best player available that makes sense.  

 

I wouldn't consider TE a high need but I think it's more of a need than most people on here think it is.  If things go like they did last season Ebron is going to finish his contract wanting a lot of money, that I personally don't think he's worth.  (I think his numbers are the result of our system, and I don't much like the idea of floating a big top 5 contract to a guy who has an issue with the drops)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen Hockenson compared to former Ravens te Todd Heap. I think it’s a fair comparison. He doesn’t look exceptional athletically, but he’s a mauler in run game with refined routes and the ability to stretch the seam.

 

Fant reminds me of Jared Cook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess: the Colts grab a TE with one of their picks in rounds 3-5. Not before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he makes it past us in the first then there is no way he makes it past new england

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I read about this kid, the more I like. Everything I read raves about his ability to finish blocks and how dangerous of a vertical threat he is. Have read many things also just about his playing style and all out effort on every play. Plays with a mean streak (does that sound fimiliar from our 1st rd pick last year). I know TE isn’t one of our biggest needs but Hockenson has a chance to be great. Depending on how the draft falls, I wouldn’t be upset at all if we ended up with him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

The more I read about this kid, the more I like. Everything I read raves about his ability to finish blocks and how dangerous of a vertical threat he is. Have read many things also just about his playing style and all out effort on every play. Plays with a mean streak (does that sound fimiliar from our 1st rd pick last year). I know TE isn’t one of our biggest needs but Hockenson has a chance to be great. Depending on how the draft falls, I wouldn’t be upset at all if we ended up with him. 

 

Depends on how the 25 in front of us fall, and what CB and Co see as the best value per team need...you guys guess is as good as mine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Already said, but just to repeat:   He will count $18.4m against the the 2019 cap, and $6.4m against the 2020 cap. Nothing after that.    I get why they're not making an issue of the roster bonus. I don't like the precedent that it sets, but this is a rare situation. And when superstars retire and get asked to pay back bonus money, it usually goes poorly (like Calvin Johnson). So clean break, and it keeps good relations between the team and the player moving forward. 
    • Probably not but he's who we have now.  It's up to Brissett and the coaching staff to prove that they can be productive.  I have a sneaking suspicion, no evidence mind you, that Reich and Co prefer Kelly but hes got to serve his suspension. Its Jacoby's job to loose and hes got my full support, if not my full confidence.  Bottom line is Luck is gone.  Fans will move on after week 1 and the organization has already done so.  Given the circumstances i think we're in the best hand we could be.  Nothing to do now but see how it plays out.  Love Luck, grateful for the past 7 years, but hes moved on.  One day is all it's taken me to follow suit.  He's gone fans,  Colts play with the QB's they have not the one they want just like '17.  We all get to see what they're made of.  Go Colts.    
    • We can’t we’re all to busy complaining so there can be no production what so ever! I just discovered gifs a few days ago if you all can’t tell!
    • Exactly. It was dark, but I knew we were set with Andrew Luck. Our team is as good(not considering QB) as it has been in a long time. However, I do not want to be the Bengals. They consistently were are a tad bit above average, yet never could win a playoff game as the competition became to great.    Here's to hoping Brissett is the man!! 
    • The signed a waiver rather than request he return it
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...