Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shafty138

Justin Houston

Kansas City is starting to look like they will need to clear some cap space.  

Justin Houston via trade might be a realistic option for the Colts this offseason.  KC would have around 7.5 mil in dead money, the Colts would be on the hook for his 15, and next year 17 mil. base salary. 

Houston is 30 as of today, and would have to switch to DE here, but he's only signed for this coming season and next...  and could thoretically be released if necessary and pretty painlessly, minus what it would take to get him in trade.

What are some thoughts on targeting Houston if it looks like the FA options are too rich for Ballard's blood, or they all get tagged/signed?

What would it take to get a Edge rusher who, while on the downside of it, is still in his prime at 30ish years old?  Would the price be effected by "giving" KC cap space and flexibility?  or would that not lower the trade price at all?

If the Colts or any team wants to pursue Houston, there is no reason to trade for him, he will be a FA shortly after the new season starts.

Whether the Colts should sign him... I don't know if I would if I were in charge of such things.  He's a great talent but he is oft injured (hasn't played a full season in 5 years) and like everyone, getting older.  

So because of that, I don't think there will be a big bidding war for his services.  He will probably go to Oakland.

I think Houston is a good short term option and I wouldn't be suprised if we tried to swing a deal for him as a FA.

Hopefully the FA options aren't too rich for Ballards blood.  If one that he likes gets free there is no excuse for not signing him.   Why pay 15 or 17m a year for an injury prone aging player.  If any get tagged I would rather do a tag and trade for one who is much younger.  We don't need short term options.   

I say no thanks. We don’t need short term solutions for a pass rusher. This team, this franchise, this fan base hasn’t seen elite pass rushers since Freeney and Mathis. It’s been so long this organization, team and fans deserve a player who can get after the Quarterback.  

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

If the Colts or any team wants to pursue Houston, there is no reason to trade for him, he will be a FA shortly after the new season starts.

Whether the Colts should sign him... I don't know if I would if I were in charge of such things.  He's a great talent but he is oft injured (hasn't played a full season in 5 years) and like everyone, getting older.  

So because of that, I don't think there will be a big bidding war for his services.  He will probably go to Oakland.

Houston is signed through 2020, unless I am missing something, or you believe KC will outright cut him....?

Just now, Shafty138 said:

Houston is signed through 2020, unless I am missing something, or you believe KC will outright cut him....?

That is the talk around town.

54 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Hopefully the FA options aren't too rich for Ballards blood.  If one that he likes gets free there is no excuse for not signing him.   Why pay 15 or 17m a year for an injury prone aging player.  If any get tagged I would rather do a tag and trade for one who is much younger.  We don't need short term options.   

If any get tagged, I believe their teams are fine playing them with the tag, and not entertaining trades....  they likely tag them so they can continue to negotiate a long term deal....

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

That is the talk around town.

yeah then if he is released, no reason to trade.... also, He could be a good short term bridge to guys like Turay, or rookies.....  just a thought, not likely....

I can't imagine any team willingly trading for the right to pay Houston those base salaries. They will just wait until KC releases him.

Between Graham, Ansah and Houston...there could be a decent short-term DE option out there. That's not really my preference...but if it's in conjunction with some other moves...it could immediately upgrade the DL and provide depth.

2 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

I say no thanks. We don’t need short term solutions for a pass rusher. This team, this franchise, this fan base hasn’t seen elite pass rushers since Freeney and Mathis. It’s been so long this organization, team and fans deserve a player who can get after the Quarterback.  

Just about all of these guys who will probably be availabl in FA are short term. So what are you saying?  Are you saying we shouldnt participate in FA?  I don't see any Freeney or Mathis in this draft so far either.  You need a mixture of both.  Short term vets and long term youth.

2 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

The Colts need solutions for a pass rush, whether they are short term, medium term or long term.

Hard pass.

30+ year old edge rushers switching from a 3-4 back to a 4-3 end doesn't bode well for the body.

Injury prone.

Not close enough to sustained success to add a veteran rental player.

12 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

Hard pass.

30+ year old edge rushers switching from a 3-4 back to a 4-3 end doesn't bode well for the body.

Injury prone.

Not close enough to sustained success to add a veteran rental player.

I don't believe they were even running much a 3-4 defense anymore.  Everything I saw looked more like a 4-3 defense and most of the players they had out there were 4-3 type players.  I don't think there would be much of a transition.  The reality of the FA period says most teams are going to resign their own.  I don't think there's going to be a whole lot out there to choose from. The man had 9 sacks last year so he's still got some juice left for the short term.  I'm sure Braden Smith will tell you he's still got it.  If someone younger and better were on the market then by all means do that, but usually what happens is all the pass rushers get resigned and there is mostly scraps left over to choose from . I think Houston is a little bit more than scraps, but obviously you want to go with the younger players if you can.

16 hours ago, Cynjin said:

The Colts need solutions for a pass rush, whether they are short term, medium term or long term.

Luck will be 30 himself.  It's at the point where you need to make a few win now type moves.  Every move can't be made with the hopes of building something 4-5 years down the road, and I'm not counting on another round of All-Pro rookies.  Prior to this year, we had 3 All Pro rookies in our nearly 70 year history.  I'm not counting on lightning to strike twice.