Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kyler Murray chooses NFL over MLB

34 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

All things being equal I'm not sure why you would pick football over baseball.  I don't even like baseball but it's not the violent game that football is.  You can have a longer career and the pay can be just as high if not higher.  

There's nothing like being a starting QB in the NFL.

45 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

All things being equal I'm not sure why you would pick football over baseball.  I don't even like baseball but it's not the violent game that football is.  You can have a longer career and the pay can be just as high if not higher.  

think of the money aspect he'd see more money upfront now in the nfl. but long term he'd see more in baseball but he'd likely be on a AA or AAA tour for a bit making peanuts.

2 minutes ago, waka waka said:

think of the money aspect he'd see more money upfront now in the nfl. but long term he'd see more in baseball but he'd likely be on a AA or AAA tour for a bit making peanuts.

I think he was asking for a major league contract.

I wonder how good of an MLB prospect he actually is. I know he was the #9 pick, but I don't know that he has significant earning potential as a baseball player.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I wonder how good of an MLB prospect he actually is. I know he was the #9 pick, but I don't know that he has significant earning potential as a baseball player.

That was sort of my thinking, if he can get that major league contract right away, even if he's playing in the minors, the the paying your dues in the minors before you get big money sort of goes away.  

Oakland did give him a 4.66 M signing bonus.  

To be fair, if he's drafted in the first round he will get a much bigger bonus.  

And also I suppose that he will be able to tell if he's going to make it as a player in the NFL at a much younger age than if he did baseball.  My general feeling is that he would know within 3 years how his career is going to be in the NFL.  He could use that information to decide if he wants to go back to baseball or not.

My general feeling is that it would take him longer in baseball to really have a feeling  of how his career is going to go. 

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

The QB position is sort of the exception to that rule though. QBs play a LONG time and make a ton of money. 

2 hours ago, Superman said:

After last season, IMO he's now a much better NFL prospect than MLB prospect. "Toolsy" MLB prospects are so boom or bust. Athleticism carries you much further in the NFL.

2 hours ago, horseshoecrabs said:

The thing about MLB is you have to pay your dues before seeing if you are even considered ready to  play in  the majors.  In the NFL it's pretty much sink or swim from the get go. 

True...but in the NFL he is gtd to get that shot.  Even as a top 10 pick in the MLB draft...there is nowhere near the same guarantee. Plenty of 1st round MLB picks flame out...some never even making it past the upper levels of MiLB...and others getting to the show but only for a bit. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Foolish if you ask me. He’s the biggest boom or bust prospect in the draft. 

I disagree. The money from his fully gtd 1st round contract will dwarf his signing bonus from the A's.

Not to mention...the endorsement opportunities are so much greater on any NFL team than they are with the Oakland A's (unless they move to Vegas that is). That endorsement money comes in right away as well...whereas MLB is years off (if at all).

Also, as someone above mentioned, he has the opportunity to go back to MLB at some point in the future.

Personally, I think he still ends up playing for the A's in the future. I think the Raiders draft him and he is part of their marketing plan for the move to Vegas. And Vegas is currently home to OAK's Triple-A affiliate...where Murray will play at some point.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

After last season, IMO he's now a much better NFL prospect than MLB prospect. "Toolsy" MLB prospects are so boom or bust. Athleticism carries you much further in the NFL.

And he's a middle infielder, right? They don't get paid like corner infielders or outfielders. He doesn't hit for power, and his Cape Cod stats last summer were underwhelming -- low average, high strikeouts, low OPS. 

He's a great athlete, but I don't think he's this phenom baseball prospect that's destined to have an amazing MLB career.

I've recently watched Marquise Brown, though, and in so doing, saw a lot of Kyler Murray QBing. If he were three inches taller, he might be one of the best QB prospects of the last 15 years. I think he's physically better than Baker, for sure.

It's not hard for me to understand why he's going to the NFL. He has a chance to go #1.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

And he's a middle infielder, right? They don't get paid like corner infielders or outfielders. He doesn't hit for power, and his Cape Cod stats last summer were underwhelming -- low average, high strikeouts, low OPS. 

He's a great athlete, but I don't think he's this phenom baseball prospect that's destined to have an amazing MLB career.

I've recently watched Marquise Brown, though, and in so doing, saw a lot of Kyler Murray QBing. If he were three inches taller, he might be one of the best QB prospects of the last 15 years. I think he's physically better than Baker, for sure.

It's not hard for me to understand why he's going to the NFL. He has a chance to go #1.

He's actually a CF prospect...which is part of why he was drafted so high. And if he became a very good MLB CFer...he could make a lot of money. But that's a big if. And he's not getting anything close to that until probably age 28 or 29...when he finally hits FA.

Legit NFL QBs have salaries that rival the top MLB players...and I think his chance of being a legit NFL QB is much much higher. And he will get so much more money right away. Even if he flames out as a QB...he will have made $30M+ off his rookie deal...and then he could go try MLB if he wanted to.

5 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

He's actually a CF prospect...which is part of why he was drafted so high. And if he became a very good MLB CFer...he could made a lot of money. But that's a big if. And he's not getting anything close to that until probably age 28 or 29...when he finally hits FA.

Legit NFL QBs have salaries that rival the top MLB players...and I think his chance of being a legit NFL QB is much much higher. And he will get so much more money right away. Even if he flames out as a QB...he will have made $30M+ off his rookie deal...and then he could go try MLB if he wanted to.

Ah, so he played IF but, it makes sense with his range and arm that he's a CF prospect. But even then, if you're just a glove, you don't make big money. He still would need to develop at the plate.

Its like this: he gets the big $ right now as a first round NFL pick. He can give it a few years to see if he is making it. If he becomes a starting NFL QB, the money will be huge. If it doesn't work out, he goes back to MLB with time to still give it a shot. He's made the right choice financially for now..... 

And remember, the shelf life for a NFL QB is much longer than for a MLB player. Just look at how this year's crop of free agent MLB players 30 and older are struggling to get a new contract. 

I have always wanted to see how far a 100 mph MLB pitcher can throw a football.  I went to school with this tall, skinny guy who was weak lifting weights but he could throw a baseball in the high 80s, throw a beautiful spiral really far and weirdly was good at throwing a shot put.  Shows you how much tendons play a part.  Rabbit trail. Sorry.