Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Free agent top 10 money

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-projecting-the-top-10-most-expensive-free-agents-in-2019

would you be in for paying 10+\yr to a safety? Would you pay a run stuffer 17+\yr? Is it worth 20+/yr for a passrusher who had zero effect in the playoff game they were in this year?  Or is it worth that 20 million/yr for a player who was average until his contract year and then showed very little in his big games in the playoffs? 

We have the most capspace and lots of rookie contracts for the next 2 years, so moneywise i would happily do that. 

Free Agents in general always going to have question marks, whether it's age, off-field stuff or spotty production, else they would have not become free agents and teams would have made caproom for them.

Essentially FA is like the draft and you got to roll the dice if you want to be successful and the colts aren't going to be in a better spot cap wise for the next 10 years hopefully, so yeah go for it.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I'm just gonna ask this, name me a FA that is not a QB, that has gotten a HUGE contract and actually lived up to it and that team won a Superbowl.

Thats a lot to ask considering how few teams win the SB.

Stephon Gilmore would be a recent one.

If you want to go back further Reggie White.  

26 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Thats a lot to ask considering how few teams win the SB.

Stephon Gilmore would be a recent one.

If you want to go back further Reggie White.  

Gilmore was one and I am not putting Reggie White in this convo, that was 500 years ago. I’m looking at the more current age of transactions, something in the last 1-10 years. I now see 2 examples for the FA boom, that’s going to be called an extreme outlier if we can’t see more examples of big money acquisitions. I’d say it’s wise of Cb to stay away from outlier risks and go for more calculated risks that allow him out of need be without killing the team. 

2 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Gilmore was one and I am not putting Reggie White in this convo, that was 500 years ago. I’m looking at the more current age of transactions, something in the last 1-10 years. I now see 2 examples for the FA boom, that’s going to be called an extreme outlier if we can’t see more examples of big money acquisitions. I’d say it’s wise of Cb to stay away from outlier risks and go for more calculated risks that allow him out of need be without killing the team. 

Well I'm not an advocate of "buying your team".  I don't want a bunch of big money free agents brought in, in huge part because that is simply not a sustainable way to build a team.  

But I could see the value of a big signing here and there.  

But as a general strategy, you build through the draft.  The backbone of your team is players you drafted.  

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I'm just gonna ask this, name me a FA that is not a QB, that has gotten a HUGE contract and actually lived up to it and that team won a Superbowl.

Demarcus Ware, Malcolm Jenkins, Bernard Pollard, Antre Rolle.

I guess it depends on your definition of HUGE contract.  But all of those guys were considered big free agents at the time and all helped their teams win SB.

There is also a trade of jay Ajayi, who helped the Eagles win the SB.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Maybe taking that a step further , could it be that there's too much predictability from our formations ? Seems like with so many of his runs there appears to be like 16 men on defense. I think often the defense flows toward the run at the snap. Could it be that  teams know we run like 80% of time out of a certain formation ?  
    • This post of mine won't be anything I haven't regurgitated a thousand times already around here, but yeah...   My thoughts on the QB position in general and for the Colts:   QB in general - the QB is unequivocally the most important position in football by some significant margin. It's the position that can cover for a ton of mistakes or sink a well built team. This is NOT to say that the rest of the roster doesn't matter. On the contrary - getting a quality franchise QB does not absolve you from the responsibility of building a good roster around that QB and we have first hand knowledge of exactly that scenario here. What Grigson and Pagano did with that amazing talent they got gifted at the QB position should be studied for decades going forward as an example of what not to do when you get a franchise QB. You can have one of the best QBs in the game and it still won't matter, because the goal ultimately is to compete for the SB and when you get to those rounds of the playoffs, most teams have comparable talent at QB and then the difference is in how well the rest of the team is built and how well they are coached.   In the grand scheme of things team building is a complex and very fluid process. You have restrictions on the cap and the draft resources you have and you have to constantly adjust those as players graduate from their cheap rookie deals and become too expensive to keep or as they age out of their best shape or as their careers get derailed by injury or other circumstances... You will always have swings in the quality of roster you can put on the field, but that thing that almost certainly can make you perennial contender is the QB. It's a single position(easier to keep) and it's the most valuable position that impacts winning the most... Once you have that one locked, that puts some very high floor on the team(provided the QB is healthy).    Those are in not so short terms the reasons why I'm firm proponent of the idea that if you don't have a long-term franchise QB on your roster you should be on a constant search for one and you should not spare resources in that search even if in the short term it might hurt the quality of your roster. And no, it's NOT going to be easy... and it IS going to be painful,,, but the alternative I contend is worse.    So now for the Colts QB position(long-term)... 1. Rivers and Brissett are not it. This is probably not controversial so I won't spend too much time on it. I will just say that I can see us giving Rivers one more year after this as a caretaker/bridge/mentor QB for whoever the next QB will be for the Colts 2. Eason - I was higher on Eason than the league. I had second round ranking on him and was really happy we managed to snap him in the 4th. I think he was a great shot to take at a toolsy QB and see if we can develop him into something. The buzz from the coaching staff on his development has been overwhelmingly positive, but we also learned this week that he's not even taking scout team reps. We haven't seen a single snap of him in the league... be it in a pre-season game or regular season game or even from practice. I don't know how to even begin to evaluate whether he's our future QB. Based on my pre-draft evaluation and on the feedback we are getting from coaches I'd say he has a chance. But, I also would say that I'd like for him to show enough by the end of the year in practice that the coaching staff would know whether or not he's on the path to our starting spot, or whether we need to be investing more resources come draft time.  3. Draft... - Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Wilson... the first two are probably out of our range. It's easy to say sell the farm for one of them, but even if you want to, you will have to find takers for whatever you consider a reasonable offer. I doubt whoever ends up that bad this year that they pick in the top 3 will trade out of a Lawrence... or even Fields. Now the other two are interesting... I feel like we can probably get in position to get one of those without completely sacrificing our future. It might be expensive, but it probably won't be prohibitive. So yeah... now the question is - do Ballard and Reich Love any of them? This is really the main question here - do they think any of them have a good chance to be a franchise QB. If the answer is yes, I would like for us to make a move for one of those players(not necessarily move up... but be ready to take the player you love be it by trading up or by waiting for him to slip to our pick).  4. Trade for one or FA... I'm not a huge fan of this one to be fair. Darnold, Trubisky( ), Carr, Dak... I don't love any of those options for variety of reasons. I think I prefer us going the draft route if we know Eason is not going to cut it. I might be open to being talked into Dak, but that injury throws a wrench into any sort of projection for his career going forward... 
    • If Rivers can play like he did Sunday vs the Lions that should make that stat go down some.
    • Definitely was one heck of a winning streak and everyone really enjoyed it.  Hopefully they can stay competitive this year.  I still enjoy watching them play win or lose
  • Members