Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Top 3 FA wants

I'm going to focus inside the hashes, improve the inside pass rush and coverage underneath. 

Grady Jarret - my number one want. I like the young talent that's im the edges and want to see how they develop. Autry and Jarret could get after it inside. 

Kwon Alexander - still extremely young but experienced. Great speed. would be a huge improvement in coverage. 

Landon Collins - playmaker that helps underneath and I think fits the scheme.  Could play dime LB. Better than Geathers and stays healthier. 

• Like 9

4 hours ago, wig said:

I'm going to focus inside the hashes, improve the inside pass rush and coverage underneath. 

Grady Jarret - my number one want. I like the young talent that's im the edges and want to see how they develop. Autry and Jarret could get after it inside. 

Kwon Alexander - still extremely young but experienced. Great speed. would be a huge improvement in coverage. 

Landon Collins - playmaker that helps underneath and I think fits the scheme.  Could play dime LB. Better than Geathers and stays healthier. 

Here is the problem with each....

Spotrac projects Jarrett to sign a 5 year, $76 Mill deal.     Do you see Chris Ballard paying $15.2 Mill for Jarrett?      I don't.     Not when he's got a lot of mouths to feed at the DL position group.

Kwon Alexander....     I could be wrong,  but I don't think he plays the Middle.   I think he plays the weakside OLB and that's where the Colts have Leonard.     If that's true,  then this is not happening.     Oh, and Spotrac projects Alexander to get a 5/50 deal.    Don't see Ballard doing that even if Alexander can play the middle.

Collins...   this might be possible?    I guess it depends on whether Ballard sees a FS or a SS?    If he's a FS,  then it's not happening.    Ballard will save his money for Hooker.   Collins has not shown he's a ballhawk.     And if he's a SS,  is that the spot that Collins really wants?    The projection is for nearly 10 Mill.     Don't see Ballard doing that.

I see Ballard mostly shopping in the Isle where players are asking for roughly $6-9 Mill per.

Could he make an exception for one or two players?     Sure.   He did last year for Norwell and Jensen.     We'll see if he tries to do that again this year...........

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Spotrac projects Jarrett to sign a 5 year, $76 Mill deal.     Do you see Chris Ballard paying $15.2 Mill for Jarrett?      I don't.     Not when he's got a lot of mouths to feed at the DL position group.

Kwon Alexander....     I could be wrong,  but I don't think he plays the Middle.   I think he plays the weakside OLB and that's where the Colts have Leonard.     If that's true,  then this is not happening.     Oh, and Spotrac projects Alexander to get a 5/50 deal.    Don't see Ballard doing that even if Alexander can play the middle.

Collins...   this might be possible?    I guess it depends on whether Ballard sees a FS or a SS?    If he's a FS,  then it's not happening.    Ballard will save his money for Hooker.   Collins has not shown he's a ballhawk.     And if he's a SS,  is that the spot that Collins really wants?    The projection is for nearly 10 Mill.     Don't see Ballard doing that.

I see Ballard mostly shopping in the Isle where players are asking for roughly $6-9 Mill per.

Could he make an exception for one or two players?     Sure.   He did last year for Norwell and Jensen.     We'll see if he tries to do that again this year...........

The good news is that in Eberflus system there isn't a true distinction between the two safeties, they're both essentially FS. Ideally we'd have 2 guys very similar to Hooker's skillset, so Earl Thomas, Collins, or Clinton-Dix would be great fits. Just need a rangey guy that can cover his zone, and make plays on the ball. 

• Like 1

I would be so down for Grady Jarrett even at 15M per year. I think he’ll actually get more, probably just above Geno Atkins and Kawaan Short, so around 16.5M. As long as it’s structured right so we aren’t guaranteeing a ridiculous amount and get stuck with him for the entire contract if he underperforms or gets hurt. I don’t worry about that with Ballard though, they’ve done a great job at that so far. I do believe he’d be worth it. He’s right on par with the second tier DTs that are just below Aaron Donald. 

As as far as the other two, I like the thought process but I’d go with different guys. Jordan Hicks and Adrian Amos I believe would fit better. I don’t think Alexander is that good and Collins fits better in a box safety role. He doesn’t cover deep very well. Hicks is great in coverage and Amos can play pretty much any role on the back end. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

I would be so down for Grady Jarrett even at 15M per year. I think he’ll actually get more, probably just above Geno Atkins and Kawaan Short, so around 16.5M. As long as it’s structured right so we aren’t guaranteeing a ridiculous amount and get stuck with him for the entire contract if he underperforms or gets hurt. I don’t worry about that with Ballard though, they’ve done a great job at that so far. I do believe he’d be worth it. He’s right on par with the second tier DTs that are just below Aaron Donald. 

As as far as the other two, I like the thought process but I’d go with different guys. Jordan Hicks and Adrian Amos I believe would fit better. I don’t think Alexander is that good and Collins fits better in a box safety role. He doesn’t cover deep very well. Hicks is great in coverage and Amos can play pretty much any role on the back end. 

This, everything in here.

Alexander does play MLB (Lavonte David plays WLB for the Bucs) but he lacks size which hurts him in the run game and he misses a lot of tackles. He's also played the full 16 games just once in his career so far.

Hicks has better size, is better against the run and IMO in coverage too. He does have injury concerns too, though.

Collins didn't want to be drafted by the Panthers in 2015 bc they'd have used him as a linebacker. So they drafted Shaq Thompson instead. Then he had a bad rookie year with the Giants at S and Spags considered moving him to LB. Collins dropped weight and became the player he is today. The further he is from LOS, the lesser impact he has. Doesn't make much sense to sign him to play cover 2 S.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

The good thing about shopping at Filene's Basement is we will always be one of the teams with the most cap space to look at and discuss.  Nothing like being frugal and save it when we will need it in about three or four years.  Kidding aside.  After our success this year I would hope Ballard decides to bring on some difference makers.  I would easily spend top dollar on Jarrett and anyone else he sees as a key addition to our team.  Use all resources I say.  

7 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Hicks is who I want as well. Instant upgrade and great fit. Should be available as well.

Littleton is the other guy.

I hope one of those is starting at MLB next season.

7 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

You are the FA   MAN.    Improve the D on all 3 levels. And it would really set up our draft. Figuring Jarrett is about Zero % getting away from Atlanta, let's hope a DE that Ballard wants comes available.

• Thanks 1

Trey Flowers- Can rush and set the edge, which is extremely valuable, see Jabaal Sheard.

C.J. Mosley- having two all-pro LBs in the core would help tremendously and he is pretty good in coverage.

Landon Collins- safety who is very capable in coverage and can play down if needed. He and Hooker would be a great duo.

With these three pick-ups all you focus on the draft is WR and CB and just improve depth.

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I think Lewis and Turay are going to have very good second years.  That said out of those that have a chance to hit FA I would sign Bell, Jarrett and Collins.  We have all the money we need and then some.   Draft the WR, CB, and whoever. 

Just wondering what your estimate's are for how much fully guaranteed $$$ it might take to sign your favorite three? 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

If Ballard thinks Jarret could be the difference maker I do, yes, I think he would pay him.  He fits the scheme perfectly and is at a position that CB holds on high regard. 

Kwon plays MLB in a similar scheme. 

15 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Hicks is better today overall, I agree. But I think he'll be more expensive and don't think his ceiling is as high.  Remember he is two years older even though they came out the same year. 

Great call on Amos.  I'd love that pickup as well.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

The good news is that in Eberflus system there isn't a true distinction between the two safeties, they're both essentially FS. Ideally we'd have 2 guys very similar to Hooker's skillset, so Earl Thomas, Collins, or Clinton-Dix would be great fits. Just need a rangey guy that can cover his zone, and make plays on the ball. 

I don't know that that's true at all.    We played Geathers down in the Box and a lot of single high safety...       we played two high safeties when we were in three safety sets,  but I wouldn't even hazzard a guess as to the percentage of that formation.     Less than 50 percent?     Are we paying another safety $10 Mill per to be a third safety?    I think you know the answer to that.

Unless we think Hooker is never going to be the player we hoped for when we drafted him and we plan to move on from him soon,  then guys like Thomas, Collins and Clinton-Dix are never going to be on Ballard's wish list.     By the way,  most everything I'm reading about CD is mostly on the disappointing side.     We're not signing two expensive free safety types.  

If you view the position groups in three segments,  the defensive backfield is where Ballard wants to spend the LEAST.    Spending on two expensive safeties is not in his plan.   He's saving it for the defensive line and the linebackers.

12 hours ago, richard pallo said:

The good thing about shopping at Filene's Basement is we will always be one of the teams with the most cap space to look at and discuss.  Nothing like being frugal and save it when we will need it in about three or four years.  Kidding aside.  After our success this year I would hope Ballard decides to bring on some difference makers.  I would easily spend top dollar on Jarrett and anyone else he sees as a key addition to our team.  Use all resources I say.  

I know that's what you want....

I'll simply say I think you're going to be very, very disappointed.

2 hours ago, wig said:

If Ballard thinks Jarret could be the difference maker I do, yes, I think he would pay him.  He fits the scheme perfectly and is at a position that CB holds on high regard. 

Kwon plays MLB in a similar scheme. 

Let me see if I can't put this in more stark terms....

Ballard just found Denico Autry who recorded 9 sacks in just 12 games for less than a $6 Mill per year contract.

Grady Jarrett, with the big name and a projected 5 year deal of between $15 and 16 Mill per....?

These are his sack totals in his 4 years.     This year: 6,  last year: 4,  2016: 3,  and 2015, his rookie year:  1.

Jarrett and Autry play the same position.    You seriously think Ballard is bringing in Jarrett for those kinds of dollars?      I'd put the odds right around zero.     Seriously.     Honestly.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know that that's true at all.    We played Geathers down in the Box and a lot of single high safety...       we played two high safeties when we were in three safety sets,  but I wouldn't even hazzard a guess as to the percentage of that formation.     Less than 50 percent?     Are we paying another safety $10 Mill per to be a third safety?    I think you know the answer to that.

Unless we think Hooker is never going to be the player we hoped for when we drafted him and we plan to move on from him soon,  then guys like Thomas, Collins and Clinton-Dix are never going to be on Ballard's wish list.     By the way,  most everything I'm reading about CD is mostly on the disappointing side.     We're not signing two expensive free safety types.  

If you view the position groups in three segments,  the defensive backfield is where Ballard wants to spend the LEAST.    Spending on two expensive safeties is not in his plan.   He's saving it for the defensive line and the linebackers.

We'll see man, I made a resolution to not argue with people over what Ballard wants. It's all speculation. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

We'll see man, I made a resolution to not argue with people over what Ballard wants. It's all speculation. 

I appreciate not wanting to argue with people...    I'm often in the middle of such arguments.

But Ballard is pretty straight forward.   He's a pretty straight shooter.    He has openly talked about the strength of his defense being the front 7, especially the front 4, where he wants 10 men on his 53 man roster and 8 of them on the 46 man game day roster.      He has said in his mostly zone defense that corner is NOT a premium position.      He'll tell you a lot if you listen and/or read his interviews.

So,  we're mostly in a 4-2-5 or a 4-1-6 defense.    That's one reason why I,  and a number of other posters,  don't see us spending big money or using a high pick on another OLB,  this one for the strong side.     We rarely use that guy.     The question becomes does Ballard want to upgrade the MLB spot?     And the answer there is....    don't know?     Most here think Ballard likes Walker.

He loved Hooker because of his ability to make turnovers which Ballard called THE most important aspect of his defense.     OK,  so he seems willing to pay Hooker IF Hooker becomes the guy he drafted 15th overall.     Now, we have to see it on the field.     Hooker graded highly (according to pff)   but not a lot of turnovers this year.     OK.    More than a year removed from his injury,  is Hooker ready to take the next step?     Hopefully.

To be clear,  not arguing here....   just trying to explain my views.....     hope you're enjoying the website.     You seem to be.    And that's a good thing.    For draft crazed guys like us,  this is an incredibly fun time of year!     We're about 70 days out from the draft!    Good times ahead!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I appreciate not wanting to argue with people...    I'm often in the middle of such arguments.

But Ballard is pretty straight forward.   He's a pretty straight shooter.    He has openly talked about the strength of his defense being the front 7, especially the front 4, where he wants 10 men on his 53 man roster and 8 of them on the 46 man game day roster.      He has said in his mostly zone defense that corner is NOT a premium position.      He'll tell you a lot if you listen and/or read his interviews.

So,  we're mostly in a 4-2-5 or a 4-1-6 defense.    That's one reason why I,  and a number of other posters,  don't see us spending big money or using a high pick on another OLB,  this one for the strong side.     We rarely use that guy.     The question becomes does Ballard want to upgrade the MLB spot?     And the answer there is....    don't know?     Most here think Ballard likes Walker.

He loved Hooker because of his ability to make turnovers which Ballard called THE most important aspect of his defense.     OK,  so he seems willing to pay Hooker IF Hooker becomes the guy he drafted 15th overall.     Now, we have to see it on the field.     Hooker graded highly (according to pff)   but not a lot of turnovers this year.     OK.    More than a year removed from his injury,  is Hooker ready to take the next step?     Hopefully.

To be clear,  not arguing here....   just trying to explain my views.....     hope you're enjoying the website.     You seem to be.    And that's a good thing.    For draft crazed guys like us,  this is an incredibly fun time of year!     We're about 70 days out from the draft!    Good times ahead!

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. Thry have a lot of rounds of ammunition, and if utilized wisely, we could be knocking on the SB door next year. While I think it's paramount to get Luck more weapons, we have to generate more pass rush for the defensive scheme to be successful. Hooker will get the turnovers when the QBs are actually feeling some heat, and their passes start to reflect that. He's got excellent ball skills, and is an incredible athlete. If they go the route I think they will in FA/Draft, he's gonna have a field day next year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let me see if I can't put this in more stark terms....

Ballard just found Denico Autry who recorded 9 sacks in just 12 games for less than a $6 Mill per year contract.

Grady Jarrett, with the big name and a projected 5 year deal of between $15 and 16 Mill per....?

These are his sack totals in his 4 years.     This year: 6,  last year: 4,  2016: 3,  and 2015, his rookie year:  1.

Jarrett and Autry play the same position.    You seriously think Ballard is bringing in Jarrett for those kinds of dollars?      I'd put the odds right around zero.     Seriously.     Honestly.

I think I'm closer to the truth than you with 'zero chance'.

• Like 2

I really believe that we will be very frugal this go around.  Might add one important piece... but it would need to be that guy. I think 2020 FA will be our time to shine.  One more year of acquiring young talent via the draft. Then add the other FA piece to complete the puzzle. 

• Like 1

These are not sexy picks, but I'd love to have these guys next year:

1) Bryce Callahan, CB, Bears (Age 27) - Best slot corner available.  Doubtful Chicago lets him get away though.

2) Darius Philon, DT, Chargers (Age 25) - Run stuffer with 4 sacks (2018) who's steadily improving and could be a low cost/high yield player for years to come

3) Adam Humphries, WR, Buccaneers (Age 26) - Put a rising star on a competent ball club

• Like 1

On 2/11/2019 at 11:47 PM, NewColtsFan said:

I like how you both state Ballard values the front 4 more than anything, which he consistently states AND say there is zero chance at going after by far the best interior pass rusher that will be available. 

On 2/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, richard pallo said:

100m.  But the chances of Jarrett and Collins both making it to FA are very slim. 

Thanks for the Guestimate. Many here will be watching to see how these FA wars go. Because 1 or more is likely to play on the franchise tag we won't know if about $100M Fully guaranteed is where it falls. But i like your est. Surely AT MIN $80-90. 

For those that don't know, and as i read the rules, under a $100M scenario for the "fully guaranteed" portion of those 3 suggested FA contracts, the Owner would have to write a check for the balance of that $100M not paid at the contract signing and put it in escrow. That is the NFL requirement.
 I question that small market owner Irsay would cough up an Instant $100M.
 And the reason i would expect no more than 1 top of the market FA signing in any given year.
 But this couch GM would be OK be excited if Ballard and Irsay decided to add oh say, Flowers and Preston Smith this year for how about $60M Fully Guaranteed. Haha! 
 I want it Now, but but but couldn't be happier on the rapid build of our Foundation.  :colts:
 As the clock goes tic toc...  

15 hours ago, wig said:

I like how you both state Ballard values the front 4 more than anything, which he consistently states AND say there is zero chance at going after by far the best interior pass rusher that will be available. 

All I'm saying is look at the price.    The projections are for Jarrett to command a salary of 5/75-80 with about half of that guaranteed.      Jarrett has 14 total sacks in his 4 years with a seasonal high of 6.

Denico Autry, who Ballard signed for 3 years and less than $18 Mill total,  just recorded a season of 9 sacks in 12 games.     Why is Ballard going to pay someone $15-16 Mill a year for less production than he's getting from Autry?      Just because Jarrett may be the best available,  doesn't mean he's worth what it would take for Ballard to sign him.     We're already getting more performance for less money from Autry.   Plus we have Lewis in his 2nd year,  and Hunt who played well.    We have a number of candidates for that position.    I don't see Ballard blowing his budget on someone who is good,  but not great.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, wig said:

I think the only one that will actually make FA is Alexander

I say bring him in and let him compete with Walker for MLB as well as be a backup on WSLB

On 2/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, gnet550 said:

Trey Flowers- Can rush and set the edge, which is extremely valuable, see Jabaal Sheard.

C.J. Mosley- having two all-pro LBs in the core would help tremendously and he is pretty good in coverage.

Landon Collins- safety who is very capable in coverage and can play down if needed. He and Hooker would be a great duo.

With these three pick-ups all you focus on the draft is WR and CB and just improve depth.

100% Agree with this post.... But...... My gut says that all 3 will be tagged

On 2/12/2019 at 5:52 PM, FalseStart said:

I really believe that we will be very frugal this go around.  Might add one important piece... but it would need to be that guy. I think 2020 FA will be our time to shine.  One more year of acquiring young talent via the draft. Then add the other FA piece to complete the puzzle. 

i dont see any reason to wait, will next years FA class be significantly better than this one?

we have wasted a lot of lucks career already, will he play until 40? 35? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

i dont see any reason to wait, will next years FA class be significantly better than this one?

we have wasted a lot of lucks career already, will he play until 40? 35? 

Agree to disagree.  I don't see us spending a lot of dollars on FA this year.  That money will be used to solidify our own FA in the future..."keeping our own players" I've heard Ballard use a couple of times... Don't get me wrong, I think if those specific pieces are out there, he will pursue them...but I believe he will only pull the trigger to complete the team at the right price / at the right time... 2020... Best guess... We are just ahead of his curve / spoiled with last years draft class.

1 hour ago, FalseStart said:

Agree to disagree.  I don't see us spending a lot of dollars on FA this year.  That money will be used to solidify our own FA in the future..."keeping our own players" I've heard Ballard use a couple of times... Don't get me wrong, I think if those specific pieces are out there, he will pursue them...but I believe he will only pull the trigger to complete the team at the right price / at the right time... 2020... Best guess... We are just ahead of his curve / spoiled with last years draft class.

Most of Ballards guys are the ones he picked(obv.) and they are on rookie contracts for another 3 years mostly, so my train of thought is that we can sign guys this year and maybe the next and have their contracts be economically endable when guys like hooker, nelson or leonard will command new ones. Going for expensive guys in 2020 will be problematic with giving the the 18 class new contracts because i doubt many top FAs are going to sign 2 year contracts.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

All I'm saying is look at the price.    The projections are for Jarrett to command a salary of 5/75-80 with about half of that guaranteed.      Jarrett has 14 total sacks in his 4 years with a seasonal high of 6.

Denico Autry, who Ballard signed for 3 years and less than $18 Mill total,  just recorded a season of 9 sacks in 12 games.     Why is Ballard going to pay someone $15-16 Mill a year for less production than he's getting from Autry?      Just because Jarrett may be the best available,  doesn't mean he's worth what it would take for Ballard to sign him.     We're already getting more performance for less money from Autry.   Plus we have Lewis in his 2nd year,  and Hunt who played well.    We have a number of candidates for that position.    I don't see Ballard blowing his budget on someone who is good,  but not great.

Don't know if Ballard is interested at Jarrett at his price but I strongly disagree we are getting more performance from Autry already.  There is a lot more to performance than sacks, especially interior guys, Jack Crawford also had 6 sacks for ATL last season. He's not even close to the level of player that Jarrett is. Jarrett had more QB hits by fair margin than Autry. Pressure rates, impact against the run how much player needs to be double teamed etc are all factors.  I highly doubt that Autry can maintain that sack production though I think he will be a good pass rush threat from the interior. He might even improve quite a bit and still not reach the same level of sacks. FWIW, PFF ranked Autry as #60 interior lineman last season. Jarrett was #5.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2019 at 10:57 AM, richard pallo said:

I think Lewis and Turay are going to have very good second years.  That said out of those that have a chance to hit FA I would sign Bell, Jarrett and Collins.  We have all the money we need and then some.   Draft the WR, CB, and whoever. 

I second this. I liked what I saw early on in Turay. Pass rushers need time. Lewis was a force from the minute he touched the field late in the season. Those guys will improve greatly with an offseason to work. Free agency will be to shore up positions of need so Ballard has the freedom in the draft to build on high value picks, regardless of position. I have a lot of optimism with this offseason... A ton, really. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Finball said:

Don't know if Ballard is interested at Jarrett at his price but I strongly disagree we are getting more performance from Autry already.  There is a lot more to performance than sacks, especially interior guys, Jack Crawford also had 6 sacks for ATL last season. He's not even close to the level of player that Jarrett is. Jarrett had more QB hits by fair margin than Autry. Pressure rates, impact against the run how much player needs to be double teamed etc are all factors.  I highly doubt that Autry can maintain that sack production though I think he will be a good pass rush threat from the interior. He might even improve quite a bit and still not reach the same level of sacks. FWIW, PFF ranked Autry as #60 interior lineman last season. Jarrett was #5.

Autry 9 sacks in 12 games in 2018.

Jarrett 6 sacks in 16 games in 2018.

Autry is going to make roughly 5-6 Million next year.     Jarrett is going to get roughly $15-16 Mill.

What's to disagree with?      Those are the facts.

I appreciate that PFF ranked Jarrett high and Autry low.     Then again,  I don't know that Ballard views the 3-tech that Autry plays as a run stopping position as much as a pass rushing position.   So, Jarrett having a better all around game is great.    But if he's not getting home to the QB,  is he really worth that much money to Ballard?

Last thought....    I'm not reading anything, anywhere that says the Falcons are going to let him go on to the market.    They will either re-sign him,  or tag him.   

So this exchange is just an intellectual exercise.....

4 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

I second this. I liked what I saw early on in Turay. Pass rushers need time. Lewis was a force from the minute he touched the field late in the season. Those guys will improve greatly with an offseason to work. Free agency will be to shore up positions of need so Ballard has the freedom in the draft to build on high value picks, regardless of position. I have a lot of optimism with this offseason... A ton, really. 

I very much disagree that Lewis was a force last season. Even if we disregard his poor PFF grade, he had very little production in what amounted to basically a half season. As a DE...he was not good. Fortunately, I think he will be playing inside going forward...so hopefully there is some upside there.

Even without the injuries, I doubt Lewis (and Turay) have much bearing on Ballard's offseason plan.