Recommended Posts

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 7:37 AM, DraftMaster said:

Andrew's dad Oliver is the commish of McMahon's XFL. There are rumors the XFL will get more than half of their games on national TV. I'm intrigued to see how it works out for them...

Obviously, Vince McMahon has wrestling deals with the USA Network and now with FOX.

You could be right on them getting the new XFL on national TV. 

 

The XFL shouldn't go head-to-head with the AAF.

If they have the league in the spring, they can have franchises in 'cold weather' cities.

 

There is a large appetite for non-NFL pro football..There always has been

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:23 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

  What will be interesting is what could happen with a high school player that doesn't want to go to college for whatever reason.  I could see the AAF becoming an option for that kid

A $75,000 job with health coverage is a worthy option for a 19 year old.

I don't know how many teenagers could play at this level but the league would be taking care of the young man and his family.

 

….Imagine this. A high school graduate who has excelled at more than one sport graduates in January of his senior year, signs with the AAF and tries pro football.

He then could still sign a college scholarship in basketball or baseball, right? , 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

And the players get $75,000 a year and health coverage?

…...AND a chance to showcase their game for the NFL the next year?.

..With 2 games a week on the NFL Network, that means the NFL is subsidizing this league, right?

 

..and what a blessing for the NFL Network.

I mean. How many times can you re-run 'A Football Life - Matt Hasselbeck"   or keep showing the 20 greatest games of 2018??


Agreed. The fact the NFL has its blessings and routinely is posting news about it on their own NFL website is huge. Big names in the business are helming it, including Hines Ward and Bill Polian. I like Kurt Warner also reporting on it.

It's marketed as a developmental league; NOT a direct competitor, which I think is huge because the AAF knows it can't compete with the NFL anyways.

Also, it's worth noting since the collapse of the original XFL, fantasy football has expanded a lot more, so that might give people a motivation to root for teams/players when money's involved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

A $75,000 job with health coverage is a worthy option for a 19 year old.

I don't know how many teenagers could play at this level but the league would be taking care of the young man and his family.

 

 

I think they would have to be very exceptional to be able to play with these guys.  

 

I wonder if we could see players leave college to play in the AAF.    There are always a few players who transfer to another school for playing time.   maybe some may feel like making $70,000 is the better option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trent Richardson ran for 91 yards and scored the winning touchdown against Salt Lake. He looks more fit and in shape now. 

 

Hackenberg doesn't look that good; maybe he'll get better. I also recognized players who used to be in  the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Orlando-San Antonio was the game of the year so far. Good offense, 37-29. There were 29k people there and the crowd was into it. The Iron also won this weekend too! 2-0!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, teganslaw said:

Trent Richardson ran for 91 yards and scored the winning touchdown against Salt Lake. He looks more fit and in shape now. 

 

I'd like to see more games for a bigger sample data. Richardson's expertise is brute raw strength, which is also why he did so well in college -- his opposition was undersized. Now we're placing Trent in a development league and suddenly we're surprised he's doing well? I'm not biting yet. You put me into a game with a bunch of old ladies and I can make myself look strong, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

 

I'd like to see more games for a bigger sample data. Richardson's expertise is brute raw strength, which is also why he did so well in college -- his opposition was undersized. Now we're placing Trent in a development league and suddenly we're surprised he's doing well? I'm not biting yet. You put me into a game with a bunch of old ladies and I can make myself look strong, too.

I don't know. Betty White looked pretty tough in that Snickers commercial.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forecast looks rough. Tom Dundon (Carolina Hurricanes Owner) gave $250 million last week so that they could make payroll. Apparently the league needed 9 figures for it. 

 

And now hes going to become some kind of executive in the league. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Forecast looks rough. Tom Dundon (Carolina Hurricanes Owner) gave $250 million last week so that they could make payroll. Apparently the league needed 9 figures for it. 

 

And now hes going to become some kind of executive in the league. 

Typical for new leagues.   Having someone willing to invest $250 million may be a good sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myles said:

Typical for new leagues.   Having someone willing to invest $250 million may be a good sign. 

 

Maybe. If they needed 9 figures to make weekly payroll that means that bought them, at most, two and a half weeks unless someone else wants to pony up, or the revenue stream picks up to sustain itself. 

 

That’s no chump change, and the pool of willing investors at that price is real tiny. 

 

The cost of operations versus income just doesn’t seem sustainable.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

 

Maybe. If they needed 9 figures to make weekly payroll that means that bought them, at most, two and a half weeks unless someone else wants to pony up, or the revenue stream picks up to sustain itself. 

 

That’s no chump change, and the pool of willing investors at that price is real tiny. 

 

The cost of operations versus income just doesn’t seem sustainable.   

Having no commercial timeouts is hurting the AAF. The AAF isn't making money off of their TV deal. They have to start adding more commercials if they want to get more money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't get the whole developmental league thing. The NFL already has several "developmental leagues" -- like the SEC, Big-10, Pac-12, etc. Most of the players on these AAF teams are guys who played a few snaps here and there or hung around on a practice squad with an NFL team and didn't make it. So far, some of the games have been entertaining, but the quality of play, particularly at QB, just isn't all that good. Whatever it is, it still beats watching basketball.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, HarryTheCat said:

I just don't get the whole developmental league thing. The NFL already has several "developmental leagues" -- like the SEC, Big-10, Pac-12, etc. Most of the players on these AAF teams are guys who played a few snaps here and there or hung around on a practice squad with an NFL team and didn't make it. So far, some of the games have been entertaining, but the quality of play, particularly at QB, just isn't all that good. Whatever it is, it still beats watching basketball.

The benefit of this league is that they may produce some NFL stars.    The style of play is the same as the NFL for the most part.   I don't think we'll see QB's start in the NFL, but O-line and D-line may end up starting in the NFL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HarryTheCat said:

I just don't get the whole developmental league thing. The NFL already has several "developmental leagues" -- like the SEC, Big-10, Pac-12, etc.

 

True, but something tells me Alabama isn't going to let Trent Richardson back into a uniform, so that's like comparing apples to oranges.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 7:05 PM, ReMeDy said:

 

True, but something tells me Alabama isn't going to let Trent Richardson back into a uniform, so that's like comparing apples to oranges.

 

Yeah, T.Rich, did he get Lasik surgery or what???

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Yeah, T.Rich, did he get Lasik surgery or what???


If you're saying did they botch Lasik surgery, then I'd be inclined to agree. I don't know if black visor helmets are legal anymore, but if so, they should give him one. At this point, we may as well not hide it.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, if you are an NFL team, do you pick up Bortles or Gilbert if $$ are the same?

For a 3rd string, practice squad filler.

 

image.png.628a365d456f6341b3c7c35d160a6852.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • That’s on paper, a very solid group of receivers. What we are certain of right now is that TY, Funchess, Cain and probably Rogers makes the opening day roster. Hopefully Cain has put forth the film study and NFL style conditioning while he has been off for injury and he comes out for training camp to shake off the rust. Those last 3 guys are basically the same receiver imho and maybe there is room for 1 of those and a draft pick if we go wr with one of those 4 initial picks. If we pick a wr after the 3rd round, then they just compete it out with the bottom 3 and we move on with our PS build. Injuries may also dictate who stays and goes but I’d guess 6 wr’s make the squad and I really liked what Johnson flashed us in his short audition. Pascal has done a few nice things while here as well and of course Fountain was a 2018 draft pick with high hopes but did get cut and sent to the PS until late in the season and dropped his only attempt in the endzone while being virtually wide open. Hopefully we get one of all these receivers not named TY to break out this preseason to make cuts easier. 
    • Not much love on the Panthers message boards about Funch. It's kinda like our board when Moncrief left for Jacksonville.    
    • There are some obvious bad calls that I think most football fans can look at and realize that was a bad call.  Some of them in the past have been due to the rules being poorly written.  Honestly the competition committee's poor writing to the rules has caused far more problems in the past than the refs.     However the PI wasn't one of them.  That was a simple bad no call by the officials.     That said I think those are the exception to the rule.  If calls that bad were every day things, we wouldn't be talking about it.  
    • Would love to have Ferrell and Houston at the same time along with everyone else we have.
  • Members

    • CoachSmok3

      CoachSmok3 49

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PureLuck

      PureLuck 53

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Boiler_Colt

      Boiler_Colt 3,534

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • drakau

      drakau 4

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PrincetonTiger

      PrincetonTiger 8,286

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CoachLite

      CoachLite 325

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 1,693

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Robin

      Robin 140

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Valpo2004

      Valpo2004 3,278

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jimmy g

      jimmy g 344

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active: