Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AAF league

Here are the coaches.   Most have been NFL head coaches.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2018/07/12/ranking-alliance-of-american-football-head-coaches/

Mike Martz, San Diego

Martz comes in at the top of this AAF head coaches ranking. He made a name for himself as the offensive coordinator, later the head coach, of the St. Louis Rams. That offense, nicknamed “The Greatest Show on Turf”, helped lead the Rams to a Super Bowl victory in 1999. Because of the offense’s success, Martz was named the head coach when Dick Vermeil stepped away.

As head coach, Martz accumulated a 53-32 regular season record as well a 3-4 playoff record. Besides winning a Super Bowl as their offensive coordinator, he also led the Rams to a Super Bowl appearance in 2001.

Besides his time with the Rams, Martz served as offensive coordinator with Detroit Lions, San Francisco 49ers, and the Chicago Bears.

Steve Spurrier, Orlando

Known as the “Head Ball Coach,” Spurrier made a name for himself in college football. He was the head coach for Duke University, the University of Florida, and the University of South Carolina. He is well-known for his time with the Gators. Spurrier was in charge of their offense, which earned the nickname “Fun ‘n’ Gun” for its high octane passing attack. Under his guidance, he led the Gators to two national championship appearances, winning one of them in 1997. He also tutored quarterback Danny Wuerfell who won the Heisman Trophy that year.

During his time at Duke, Florida, and South Carolina, he achieved a 228-89-2 record.

Spurrier also brings experience as a head coach in the pro ranks. He was the head coach of the Tampa Bay Bandits of the USFL. During his three seasons in charge of the Bandits, he posted a 35-19 regular season record.

He also coached in the NFL with the Washington Redskins. He coached the Redskins for two seasons and posted a 12-20 record.

Brad Childress, Atlanta

Childress was the offensive coordinator for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1999-2005 under then head coach Andy Reid. His time under Reid helped him land the Minnesota Vikings head coaching position.

Childress coached the Vikings from 2006-2010 and registered a 39-25 regular season record. He also had a 1-2 playoff record as well. He helped guide the Vikings to an NFC Championship game appearance in 2009, which they lost to the New Orleans Saints.

The Vikings fired Childress 10 games into the 2010 season. After parting ways in Minnesota, he went on to become the offensive coordinator with the Cleveland Browns in 2012 and was an assistant under Reid with the Kansas City Chiefs from 2013-2017

Mike Riley, San Antonio

Like Spurrier, Riley is known for his work in college football. Riley spent 12 seasons as the head coach of the Oregon State Beavers. Oregon State was a dismal program before Riley arrived in 1997. But he helped engineer a massive turnaround. In his 12 seasons in charge of the Beavers, he posted a 93-80 record and helped lead the Beavers to eight bowl games.

Recently, Riley was the head coach of the University of Nebraska. He was in charge of the Cornhuskers for three seasons and posted a 19-19 record. He also led them to two bowl games, winning one and losing the other.

Although he is known for his time in college, Riley brings a vast amount of professional football experience. He has been a head coach in the NFL (San Diego Chargers), the World League of American Football (San Antonio Riders), and the CFL (Winnipeg Blue Bombers). While in charge of the Blue Bombers, he helped lead them to two Grey Cup Championships.

Rick Neuheisel, Phoenix

Although some might argue that Dennis Erickson should be ahead of Neuheisel in this ranking, we think otherwise. Although Erickson was a successful head coach in college football and has been a head coach in the NFL, he hasn’t posted a winning record since 2007.

Neuheisel has been a head coach at the Colorado, Washington, and UCLA. At those three universities, he posted an 87-59 record. He led his teams to eight bowl appearances posting a 5-3 mark in those games.

He also has spent some time in the NFL as an assistant. He was the Baltimore Ravens quarterbacks coach from 2005-2006 and was the Ravens offensive coordinator in 2007 before taking the UCLA head coaching position.

Dennis Erickson, Salt Lake City

Erickson has a very lengthy resume. He was the head coach at seven different universities (Idaho twice, Wyoming, Washington State, Miami, Oregon State, and Arizona State). His overall record in the college ranks is 179-96-1. He helped lead Miami to two national championships in 1989 and 1991.

He was also the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks and the 49ers. He totaled six seasons between those two teams, achieving a 40-56 regular season record. The Seahawks and 49ers never reached the playoffs under his guidance.

Mike Singletary, Memphis

Singletary was a gridiron legend as a player. The former Chicago Bears stalwart was a warrior playing middle linebacker. His play earned him a spot in Canton, Ohio at the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Singletary was the head coach of the 49ers from 2008-2010. During his three years, he accumulated an 18-22 record. His best season came in 2009 when he led the 49ers to an 8-8 record. The 49ers never made the playoffs during his tenure.

Along with his stay with the 49ers, he was also an assistant for the Ravens, Rams, and Vikings.

Tim Lewis, Birmingham

Lewis is the only person on this list who hasn’t been a head coach at any level.

Lewis was a former first-round pick by the Green Bay Packers back in 1983. He played in four seasons but had a promising career cut short by a neck injury.

Lewis has an extensive background as an assistant in the NFL. Along with being a defensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants, he was a defensive backs coach for Carolina Panthers, the Seahawks, the Atlanta Falcons, and most recently the 49ers.

Although Lewis might not have as much experience as the others coaches listed here, he is what this league should best represent. He is a coach that is looking for an opportunity and he will get that shot coaching in the AAF.

40 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

Looks like they tried to include players from nearby colleges on the rosters to give the team some immediate appeal.  I'm guessing the league signed the players and then assigned them to a team.

Should be interesting!

Looks like they are taking care of the players as well.   I'm just happy to see it will be "gimmick" free unlike the XFL was.   Seems to be well organized by quality people.  

All 1,100 players, will be full-time employees with fully covered medical insurance for themselves and their families, postsecondary education scholarships and housing paid for by the league. Reportedly paid $85,000 per season.

The AAF over the past two-plus years has recruited former Yahoo entertainment chief Erik Schwartz as head of technology and it has lured tech talent from Tesla Motors, BitTorrent and Lockheed Martin Corp.'s F-35 stealth fighter project. That team — totaling 60 people at AAF's South of Market offices — has grafted technology from a half-dozen partners that the league will roll out next month.

• Like 2

I looked at the San Antonio roster.    They have some big boys on that team.  

Ash, Richard DL 6-4 314 LBS Western Michigan

Clear, Cam TE 6-5 308 LBS Texas A&M

Richardson, Cyril OL 6-4 358 LBS Baylor

Teuhema, Maea OL 6-4 358 LBS Southeastern Louisiana

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

I'll be a Memphis fan because my guy Singletary is HC there and Manning played at Tennessee. I just hope Singletary keeps his pants on.

Yep, it's Memphis for me, too...Singletary and several players from my Alma Mater, Western Kentucky.

42094422_1500729473393023_356059562001825792_n.thumb.jpg.e7cf7a82feadfb32f0af943c0327e644.jpg

12 hours ago, Myles said:

Now I feel I need to pick a team other than Memphis. 

I picked them because of the reasons stated in my comment.  I actually calculated the distances to see if Memphis or Birmingham were closer to me in Louisville, KY.  Birmingham is slightly closer, but once I looked at the rosters, I decided on Memphis.

To me, I'd root for a team that doesn't already have, or recently have had an NFL franchise.  So, I immediately eliminated Atlanta, Arizona and San Diego. 

The Atlanta roster is loaded with University of Louisville players, so I will want to watch them play.

Will be interesting to see if any of these guys find homes on NFL rosters next fall.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Barry Sears said:

I picked them because of the reasons stated in my comment.  I actually calculated the distances to see if Memphis or Birmingham were closer to me in Louisville, KY.  Birmingham is slightly closer, but once I looked at the rosters, I decided on Memphis.

To me, I'd root for a team that doesn't already have, or recently have had an NFL franchise.  So, I immediately eliminated Atlanta, Arizona and San Diego. 

The Atlanta roster is loaded with University of Louisville players, so I will want to watch them play.

Will be interesting to see if any of these guys find homes on NFL rosters next fall.

I'm going to assume some will.   maybe not QB's or even RB's, but some O-linemen will probably stand out and at least get signed to a practice squad. 

The XFL produced over 20 players who ended up making NFL rosters.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Im headed to the Apollos game next weekend in Orlando (I live about 35 miles away), had season tickets to the XFL Orlando Rage and UFL's Florida Tuskers. The media is really behind this league more than others, Billboards, live radio coverage, totally different feel. I expect this league to flourish and think more than a handful will stand out and make it to NFL squads and starting spots next season.

As for the Apollos quite a few former Colts on this squad .Surprised Stephen Morris who was the co favorite to winning the starting QB job along with gale Gilbert who left to play for the Carolina Panthers late this season but returned unlike SD Fleet QB Josh Johnson who stayed with the Redskins.  Earl Okine projected to be a starting DE for the squad and D'John Smith starting Cornerback.

I expect Aaaron Murray to have a great season for Atlanta and make an NFL team, no clue how Trent Richardson will do but if he has a great year it will get a ton of publicity.

Maybe Colts find a viable WR  or DT from this league, sometimes all it takes is the opportunity as Tommy Maddox proved in the XFL after being a bust with Broncos, it propelled him to Steelers starting QB.

• Like 1

Still undecided on a team too. No teams near the north except salt lake. I'm thinking about the Iron because they have 7 non-prime time games, Trent Richardson (maybe he'll be better in this league?) And one of the few uniforms with no number helmet stickers (like 49 on the side of the helmet like Alabama has). They are rivals with the Express though so I don't know. Decisions, decisions...

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@coltsfansince65

Will you watching? Have you spoken with your nephew about this league. What does he think? Is he interested in coaching there?

Watching it now actually. I'm interested to see how this catches on. I spoke to my nephew the other day. He's actually heading to Baltimore this week for some meetings & an open tryout. We haven't talked about the AAF as yet. He's happy where he is & will be trying to take that one more step this year to a championship. I personally think the indoor game is a bit more fast paced & more exciting to watch. Especially live.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

Watching it now actually. I'm interested to see how this catches on. I spoke to my nephew the other day. He's actually heading to Baltimore this week for some meetings & an open tryout. We haven't talked about the AAF as yet. He's happy where he is & will be trying to take that one more step this year to a championship. I personally think the indoor game is a bit more fast paced & more exciting to watch. Especially live.

I'll have to go to a game this year. Let me know when they start play. 

I'm enjoying this so far. San Antonio looks better. 

4 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'll have to go to a game this year. Let me know when they start play. 

I'm enjoying this so far. San Antonio looks better. 

The schedule comes out next week. If you can get to a game in Philly you can be my guest. They've added 2 more teams this season. Atlantic City & Columbus, Ohio.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coltsfansince65 said:

The schedule comes out next week. If you can get to a game in Philly you can be my guest. They've added 2 more teams this season. Atlantic City & Columbus, Ohio.

Thank you. I will let you know. We'll communicate via PM. 

Was at the Orlando game over 20,000 in crowd on a rainy night. Orlando club is fast....Earl Okine had a sack, D'John Smith didnt start or play much and was a projected starter. Former preseason Colt and Olympic sprinter Marvin Bracy Williams flashed speed on routes. LB Terence Garvin was best player on the field he has 75 NFL games under his belt including 3 starts for Seattle in 2017.

Atlanta looked awful somehow Matt Simms beat out Aaron Murray for the starting QB spot but was missing all night long,couldnt read defense still. I expect Murray to unseat him starting next week. Seantavius Jones whom some remember was in a race fro our final WR spot this preseason showed some flashes, Bug Howard who was in a battle for a final wr spot in 2017 actually had a nice game. Denard Shoelace Robinson former jags starting rb didnt impress.

• Like 3

Definitely entertaining and promising.  I'm seeing a lot of positive talk about it on social media as well.  If you accept it for what it is, you're going to enjoy watching this league.

My main concerns going in were shaky OL play, and not enough good QB's.  So far, those look to be true, but what do you expect? 

Living in the Tampa area, I suppose i'll be rooting for Orlando.  I also love Spurrier from his Gator days :D

I'm just glad to have 10ish weeks of football to watch.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Holden89 said:

Definitely entertaining and promising.  I'm seeing a lot of positive talk about it on social media as well.  If you accept it for what it is, you're going to enjoy watching this league.

My main concerns going in were shaky OL play, and not enough good QB's.  So far, those look to be true, but what do you expect? 

Living in the Tampa area, I suppose i'll be rooting for Orlando.  I also love Spurrier from his Gator days :D

I'm just glad to have 10ish weeks of football to watch.

The shaky QB thing is definitely an issue but it is nice to watch defenses be allowed to play defense. I think that alone will draw me in.

• Like 2