Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew recruiting at the Pro Bowl

GusFring

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

In true Andrew Luck style, also. 

Luck: "You're a free agent?"

Mosley: "Yeah I will be"

Luck: :: nods and walks away ::

Luck is hilariously sneaky. I’m sure he’d love having more impact defensive players like CJ Mosley to help his team win a Super Bowl. Mosley would make this LB core elite. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Luck is hilariously sneaky. I’m sure he’d love having more impact defensive players like CJ Mosley to help his team win a Super Bowl. Mosley would make this LB core elite. 

What are the odds he's a Colt if he gets free?   I'll say 100% thanks to Andrew. 

Showing that he’s once again a top QB in the league, and that the Colts are on the doorsteps of being elite, is all the recruiting we need.  

Last year we heard that some FAs turned us down because they weren’t sure if Luck would play.  

This year Ballard will have a lot more options if he chooses.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Showing that he’s once again a top QB in the league, and that the Colts are on the doorsteps of being elite, is all the recruiting we need.  

Last year we heard that some FAs turned us down because they weren’t sure if Luck would play.  

This year Ballard will have a lot more options if he chooses.  

I agree to some extent. Superstars will not only want the big money but the long contract with many guarantees. Is CB willing to give both those things together? We’ve seen big name FA guys over the years go to really bad teams because they give them the big contract. We may have tried to get some FA guys last year and Luck was a question mark in the mix but had the contract been one that mixed in high dollar with length, most FA money chasers take it regardless of whether they know how the team will be. 

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I agree to some extent. Superstars will not only want the big money but the long contract with many guarantees. Is CB willing to give both those things together? We’ve seen big name FA guys over the years go to really bad teams because they give them the big contract. We may have tried to get some FA guys last year and Luck was a question mark in the mix but had the contract been one that mixed in high dollar with length, most FA money chasers take it regardless of whether they know how the team will be. 

And I can't blame them for it.  Their next play could be their last, their next contract could be their last.  IMO, you're worth what someone is willing to pay you.

My point was that we know Ballard was turned down by some FAs (at least partially) because they didn't know if Luck would play again.  That ship has sailed.  

I'm sure Ballard will use the same scrutiny when making offers.  He's not going to go hog wild with the contracts.  But I think he'll have more takers this year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard pallo said:

What are the odds he's a Colt if he gets free?   I'll say 100% thanks to Andrew. 

0 percent chance he signs here because Andrew talked to him at the Pro bowl.    If he signs here it will be because of a large contract

• Like 1

I'd rather have an edge guy, any edge guy, or a safety to pair with Hooker. Even if it's Ansah, that's an upgrade. Should one of the bigger names actually hit FA, I'd be very disappointed if Ballard didn't make every attempt to land them. As far as S go, either Clinton-Dix or Earl Thomas would be amazing. I know both are traditionally FS, but in the scheme Flus is running, that's essentially what you need, two play makers that can close on the ball (ideally) after that QB is effected by the pass rush. 

57 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'd rather have an edge guy, any edge guy, or a safety to pair with Hooker. Even if it's Ansah, that's an upgrade. Should one of the bigger names actually hit FA, I'd be very disappointed if Ballard didn't make every attempt to land them. As far as S go, either Clinton-Dix or Earl Thomas would be amazing. I know both are traditionally FS, but in the scheme Flus is running, that's essentially what you need, two play makers that can close on the ball (ideally) after that QB is effected by the pass rush. 

Agee.  With the way offenses are hitting the short routes, i think the value of box type safeties and LBs who can cover will continue to increas along with salaries.  You can have the fastest two edge rushers in the league and they just dont have time to get there.

Invest in, and get pressure from your front 4...: especially up the midde which now seems to be more troublesome for QBs (and rbs).  I also agree about the safety to pair with Hooker.  

Today's defens scmust be flexible on that 2nd kevel... VERY flexible.  Get pressure with front 4 and fill those short passing lanes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I have been under the firm belief that great defenses start with great linebackers. There are good defenses with average backers but most great defenses start and finish with stud backers. We finally have one in Leonard. I really think pairing him with another could help take this defense to another level. We obviously have defensive line/pass rush and defensive back needs... but another stud backer would be Niccceee. 

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Agee.  With the way offenses are hitting the short routes, i think the value of box type safeties and LBs who can cover will continue to increas along with salaries.  You can have the fastest two edge rushers in the league and they just dont have time to get there.

Invest in, and get pressure from your front 4...: especially up the midde which now seems to be more troublesome for QBs (and rbs).  I also agree about the safety to pair with Hooker.  

Today's defens scmust be flexible on that 2nd kevel... VERY flexible.  Get pressure with front 4 and fill those short passing lanes.

Good points and to add on to this, assuming that we have beat NE in order to win the AFC, the best way to limit Brady and Pats offense is to be able to do what you described.

Having guys who can close in space combined with a coverage scheme that boxes things in would, in theory, limit YAC which is how NE generates its chunk plays.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Yep. Give me Leonard, a MLB that can cover and a pair of athletic SSs that can cover as well (in addition to the CBs, Hooker and the DL). That's your base defense.

can't see CJ happening. LB isn't even one of our top 4 or 5 needs. IMO our Tier 1 needs are WR and Edge. Tier 2 CB and DT. Tier 3 S. Tier 4 TE, RB, and LB. 

We should be able to get 2 starters in the draft, maybe 3. That leaves likely 2 big needs that we'll need to solve for in FA.

We've got the cap space, and ILBs are actually one of the better positions to get in FA, I just think they'll prioritize differently. I can see them going WR and Edge with the first two in the draft, and CB and DT the next two. Spending some cap on a good S in FA (another position that should be good in the FA market this year) would be my guess.

But who knows, maybe they go all in and grab a good S and ILB in FA.