Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign... Bell and DeMarcus or Flowers

Okay, I know people think we are good at RB, which we are to a certain degree.

But... If Bell really want's to become a Colt and Ballard thinks he could be an upgrade and a good fit. I thinks this deal will be done pretty quick in free agency.

DeMarcus Lawrence would be a massive upgrade to the defence, but this one will cost a LOT of money. 

We would be talking about a $100million plus contract. 

I would love DeMarcus, but Ballard giving that much money away, seems like a looooooooooooooong shot.

Trey Flowers would cost much less, so I do believe we have to settle for a much cheaper solution, as I dont see Ballard giving monster contracts away.

I know Bell wont be cheap, But, IF Bell speaks the truth, I think signing him would be more plausible than signing Lawrence.

Free agency is only a month away, but rumors start hitting all over, so it will soon start to get interesting :) 

1 hour ago, ThorstenDenmark said:

Okay, I know people think we are good at RB, which we are to a certain degree.

But... If Bell really want's to become a Colt and Ballard thinks he could be an upgrade and a good fit. I thinks this deal will be done pretty quick in free agency.

DeMarcus Lawrence would be a massive upgrade to the defence, but this one will cost a LOT of money. 

We would be talking about a $100million plus contract. 

I would love DeMarcus, but Ballard giving that much money away, seems like a looooooooooooooong shot.

Trey Flowers would cost much less, so I do believe we have to settle for a much cheaper solution, as I dont see Ballard giving monster contracts away.

I know Bell wont be cheap, But, IF Bell speaks the truth, I think signing him would be more plausible than signing Lawrence.

Free agency is only a month away, but rumors start hitting all over, so it will soon start to get interesting :) 

Bell isn't setting foot in our locker room That's my opinion. As far as being set at RB. There's always room to get better. The kid from ISU Montgomery wouldn't make me mad. 

51 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think the odds of Bell hitting free are getting longer as well.

it would be risky for the steelers to tag him again.  

if he holds out, the team still has to set aside the cap space to sign him.  thats a lot of money to have tied up in this until November.  

its obviously a bad look in the media and locker room too, i think they will want to move on from this

53 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it would be risky for the steelers to tag him again.  

if he holds out, the team still has to set aside the cap space to sign him.  thats a lot of money to have tied up in this until November.  

its obviously a bad look in the media and locker room too, i think they will want to move on from this

This will be a league situation as a whole.  The legal wrangling over this is likely just getting started.

I can't wait to see who gets tagged and who gets free.  Especially the ER's.  That could set the direction of Ballards approach.  Let's face it Ballard has to do something in FA especially if some playmakers/difference makers get free.  We made the playoffs last year and we are already one of the early favorites to return.  Just relying on the draft, and drafting later no less, and a couple of value FA's to upgrade the roster is fairly risky.  He has the Capital to add a few difference makers if they get free.  I think he will if they do.  Sitting on all that money doesn't make sense when you are already a playoff team and have no one else to pay for years.  Especially if they are younger guys who are looking for their 2nd. contract.  Bell is a no brainer for me especially if all of the ER's don't make it to FA.   Either way I'm really looking forward to seeing how this plays out.

I would honestly be stunned if we added one of the top 3 FA ER’s this offseason because it’s not the colts MO. As for a high second tier guy, yeah I think we target that group. I would also be as stunned or more if Bell has any consideration to become a colt. 

Everyone keeps thinking Bell just badly wants to be a Colt because he has alluded to the Colts many times on Twitter. Bell is just playing the smart card. FA with big name talking high about the team flush with cash and cap, the best mixture for a huge contract. Bell has proven, he doesn’t care about team, or he would have played out his tag for his current team. He want cash, and lots of it. As a GM, I’m not giving money, large sums of it anyhow, to a guy who has behaved the way he has during his year of inaction. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

I would honestly be stunned if we added one of the top 3 FA ER’s this offseason because it’s not the colts MO. As for a high second tier guy, yeah I think we target that group. I would also be as stunned or more if Bell has any consideration to become a colt. 

Everyone keeps thinking Bell just badly wants to be a Colt because he has alluded to the Colts many times on Twitter. Bell is just playing the smart card. FA with big name talking high about the team flush with cash and cap, the best mixture for a huge contract. Bell has proven, he doesn’t care about team, or he would have played out his tag for his current team. He want cash, and lots of it. As a GM, I’m not giving money, large sums of it anyhow, to a guy who has behaved the way he has during his year of inaction. 

No one knows if it's in the Colts MO or not.  Why would Ballard invest in top tier FA's if he didn't even know if Luck would return to his old form?  He could have had it work out the other way and he needed a new franchise QB.  Now he has his answer and his team with a healthy Luck returned to the playoffs last year.  Our situation has drastically changed.  I would not be stunned at all if we signed some top tier FA's.  They would have to fill a huge need of course but he will do it if any of his targets get free.   Regarding Bell.  The Jets are also flush with cap space as well as a few other teams.  He just sees a better fit with Luck and the Colts and you can't blame him.  The Steelers showed they were not going to pay him what he's worth.   Risk injury for what?  No way.  We will be fortunate to get him.  And hopefully we will along with a few other top tier FA's.  I think Ballard spends this year.  That's what a difference a year makes.  

• Like 1

I'm fired up man! I hope they do sign Bell, but to a more Colts-friendly contract. I'd be okay giving him slightly less than Gurley. In the 14-15 a year range...but that's all contingent on no other huge edge talents getting free. If they hit FA, take them over Bell all day. Bell answers the need for another receiver, and could feasibly catch 70-80 passes next year. That kind of value, with what he can do between the tackles, is invaluable imo. He would get spelled by Mack too, so we'd only need him for 15-20 touches a game, rather than the 30 the Steelers were giving him. Question is, does that still make him worth that contract, with lesser usage?

15 hours ago, jskinnz said:

Lawrence hitting free agency is a huge long shot.

Flowers is more likely to hit free agency compared to Lawrence.  Still a long shot though.

I think the odds of Bell hitting free are getting longer as well.

Been seeing/hearing several analysts talking Steelers using Transition Tag on Bell ... they seem to think the contract offers won't be nearly as good as Bell believes; and that the Steelers may be able to retain him by matching an offer similar to what they originally offered.

1 hour ago, esmort said:

Been seeing/hearing several analysts talking Steelers using Transition Tag on Bell ... they seem to think the contract offers won't be nearly as good as Bell believes; and that the Steelers may be able to retain him by matching an offer similar to what they originally offered.

Why would they even attempt to keep Lev when they have James Conner on a rookie deal? Doesn't make sense. Conner did incredible in his first year, and you'd figure he will only get better. 

5 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

I'm fired up man! I hope they do sign Bell, but to a more Colts-friendly contract. I'd be okay giving him slightly less than Gurley. In the 14-15 a year range...but that's all contingent on no other huge edge talents getting free. If they hit FA, take them over Bell all day. Bell answers the need for another receiver, and could feasibly catch 70-80 passes next year. That kind of value, with what he can do between the tackles, is invaluable imo. He would get spelled by Mack too, so we'd only need him for 15-20 touches a game, rather than the 30 the Steelers were giving him. Question is, does that still make him worth that contract, with lesser usage?

I wouldn't hold my breath too long thinking Ballard will sign Bell.  Ballard has been non stop talking about bringing players in who fit a certain culture he is trying to build and Bell doesn't fit what Ballard wants on the team or in the locker room.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I wouldn't hold my breath too long thinking Ballard will sign Bell.  Ballard has been non stop talking about bringing players in who fit a certain culture he is trying to build and Bell doesn't fit what Ballard wants on the team or in the locker room.

Man, if you ever read anything I put on here, it's all to the contrary of Bell or AB ever suiting up for the Colts. It's a pipedream. I'd like it from a fan perspective, because he's a dynamic player, and would help us score points; from an organizational perspective, it's a horrible move. He wants too much, and we have a full stable of capable RBs. If we're gonna spend that kind of $ in FA, I would honestly rather it be on the defensive side of the ball. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jdubu said:

You could go with the GM's own recent words on this. And use so common sense to consider why he has accumulated so much cash and cap space.
 He just explained in the simplest detail that his #1 priority going forward is to have a pass rusher(s) that our opponents come in on Mondays and start game planning for.
 He is perfectly positioned to go after his GOAL. This IS his MO.  yeehaa
 He will be bidding on one or more pass rushers in FA.

8 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Why would they even attempt to keep Lev when they have James Conner on a rookie deal? Doesn't make sense. Conner did incredible in his first year, and you'd figure he will only get better. 

Well, because you suggest he may be worth $14-$15M for 15-20 touches a game.
Of course they would want to keep such Greatness.
 They always have a top OL and a top passing attack. Been going on for decades.
Bell has missed 18 of 80 career starts. 
 With those touches and the 12 games a year he averages, he probably is worth $6-7 M to us because he is very good. We would be deep at the position. But then again, come cut day, we should look deep without him. Ballard won't sleep on the RB position.

So as you finally said, he is not a such a good option for us all considered.
 But keep bringing him up to be a Colt, as it is good to go over it as many posts as is humanly possible. 

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

When has Ballard said Bell doesn't fit our team/culture? Do you have a source or link? I'm asking because I want to read it. 

Ballard isn’t afraid to bring a player like that into the locker room so long as they fit the culture.

“Am I against adding a player that’s a difference maker on Sunday that I know is going to help us win games? No. I would absolutely add that player,” Ballard said. “He’s gotta fit into our culture. He has to fit in to doing things right. He has to fit in about being team-first. He has to be accountable to his teammates. They have to fit that criteria.”

Ballard's words

Let's not put words in the man mouth. All of us are wishful thinkers at this point. Sitting back waiting to see what our favorite team will do...Its exciting and disappointing at the same time. Have faith that Ballard will do what's in the best interest of the Colts. If its signing Brown, Bell, Lawrence or all of them....good deal. If not, oh well. I'm still a fan either way.

19 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

When has Ballard said Bell doesn't fit our team/culture? Do you have a source or link? I'm asking because I want to read it. 

Ballard isn’t afraid to bring a player like that into the locker room so long as they fit the culture.

“Am I against adding a player that’s a difference maker on Sunday that I know is going to help us win games? No. I would absolutely add that player,” Ballard said. “He’s gotta fit into our culture. He has to fit in to doing things right. He has to fit in about being team-first. He has to be accountable to his teammates. They have to fit that criteria.”

Ballard's words

You answered your own question.

Brown and or Bell do not fit the criteria. He does not want divas or selfish players.

12 hours ago, esmort said:

and then he sits out again.  hes made it pretty clear he doesnt want to play under the tag in Pittsburgh 

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you understand how the transition tag works?

yes.  say another team makes an offer and the steelers match, he can still sit out again

not sure where you were going with that, but the transition tag would be a big risk for the steelers, when they could just move on from this 

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

yes.  say another team makes an offer and the steelers match, he can still sit out again

not sure where you were going with that, but the transition tag would be a big risk for the steelers, when they could just move on from this 

why would he sit out if the Steelers matched his best offer?

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

why would he sit out if the Steelers matched his best offer?

i see what you mean now, the point would be to get out of Pittsburgh

usually players want out after being tagged twice.  the team, fans and locker room have said a lot of stuff about him by now too

i think that risk is too great for the team to take, i guess we will all find out soon

13 hours ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Absolutely it does.  He is only 26.  TY is going to be 30 if he is not there already.  We need another playmaker.  Pretty simple.  If they pay him believe me they will play him.  What would they be saving him for?  Even with Mack in at RB he can go to the slot.  People are way overreacting to this diva, culture fit.   He needs to get out of that dumpster fire in Pittsburgh.  A little fresh air and a "team QB" to play with wouldn't hurt either.  He wants to win a SB and he thinks his best chance is with the Colts.  Can you blame him?  We should take advantage of this opportunity.  And it shouldn't be Bell or an ER.  It should be both.  We can easily sign three premium players to our roster.  They just have to get free.  Money is not the issue.  It's how much do you want to overpay.  All of the top FA's will get the tag as being overpaid.  That's just the way it is.  As a Bleacher Report article said this morning and I paraphrase. "The only thing stopping the Colts from getting the players they want is themselves."   

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Absolutely it does.  He is only 26.  TY is going to be 30 if he is not there already.  We need another playmaker.  Pretty simple.  If they pay him believe me they will play him.  What would they be saving him for?  Even with Mack in at RB he can go to the slot.  People are way overreacting to this diva, culture fit.   He needs to get out of that dumpster fire in Pittsburgh.  A little fresh air and a "team QB" to play with wouldn't hurt either.  He wants to win a SB and he thinks his best chance is with the Colts.  Can you blame him?  We should take advantage of this opportunity.  And it shouldn't be Bell or an ER.  It should be both.  We can easily sign three premium players to our roster.  They just have to get free.  Money is not the issue.  It's how much do you want to overpay.  All of the top FA's will get the tag as being overpaid.  That's just the way it is.  As a Bleacher Report article said this morning and I paraphrase. "The only thing stopping the Colts from getting the players they want is themselves."   

What if the players the Colts want are different than they ones you want?

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

What if the players the Colts want are different than they ones you want?

maybe they do want bell none of us know for sure either way

i dont see him being a locker room problem here.  he wont come if hes not happy with the contract.  plus he already hinted he wants to

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richard pallo said:

What happens if we go on the spending spree you're eluding to, and then in 2020 and beyond all of our cap $ is tied into 5-6 bigger names, and we can't resign all of the draft selections Ballard nailed? I'll tell you what happens...we're good for a few seasons, then back in the proverbial sh*tter.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2019 at 4:37 PM, richard pallo said:

No one knows if it's in the Colts MO or not.  Why would Ballard invest in top tier FA's if he didn't even know if Luck would return to his old form?  He could have had it work out the other way and he needed a new franchise QB.  Now he has his answer and his team with a healthy Luck returned to the playoffs last year.  Our situation has drastically changed.  I would not be stunned at all if we signed some top tier FA's.  They would have to fill a huge need of course but he will do it if any of his targets get free.   Regarding Bell.  The Jets are also flush with cap space as well as a few other teams.  He just sees a better fit with Luck and the Colts and you can't blame him.  The Steelers showed they were not going to pay him what he's worth.   Risk injury for what?  No way.  We will be fortunate to get him.  And hopefully we will along with a few other top tier FA's.  I think Ballard spends this year.  That's what a difference a year makes.  

Guess we shall see once FA gets here. 

11 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

You could go with the GM's own recent words on this. And use so common sense to consider why he has accumulated so much cash and cap space.
 He just explained in the simplest detail that his #1 priority going forward is to have a pass rusher(s) that our opponents come in on Mondays and start game planning for.
 He is perfectly positioned to go after his GOAL. This IS his MO.  yeehaa
 He will be bidding on one or more pass rushers in FA.

Who was the last FA Passrusher that was considered a top elite guy that succeeded on another team after signing for enormous money?  My memory is too short to recall any.