Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Exodus's Mock Off-Season, Three round Draft

I've been working on this offseason in my head for a little over two and a half weeks now, and I'm just starting to put pen to paper. I've done mock drafts in the past, but never a full off-season. Now, I"m going to do a free agency and (some) draft, but I"m not comfortable enough to put together a roster and keep track of numbers like some of you. I will also explain a lot of the things I do, since I have a feeling some of the decisions I will be striking to some, since they go against popular opinion.

Free Agency

We have already re-signed Vinny and Glow, which were moves I would have 100% made, so I'll stick with our own FAs at the moment.

1. Dontrelle Inman (2 year, 5 million)

He was our best WR down the stretch, and this should be a no brainer.

2. Margus Hunt (2 year, 7 million)

Margus could very well walk and make more money elsewhere, but he has absolutely played himself into a new contract with the Colts. He was borderline unblockable at some points after the switch to DT, and he fits/plays really well in this style of defense.

3. Matthias Farley (2 years, 2.5 million)

I have always felt that Farley has been under appreciated. It sucks he got injured this year, or else I think people would really have seen his skills.

Now, some of you may not to notable people not on this list; Geathers and Desir. Imo, it's time to let Geathers walk. The guy is always hurt, is basically just a linebacker for us. We need to truly upgrade that second safety position. Desir is another story. I have a feeling he'll get more elsewhere, which may be good for us. Some of you forget that he was downright bad at many points during the last two seasons. I feel like this year is a prime example of playing for a contract. I'm not saying to let him walk. Offer him a very reasonable contract and see if he signs, but don't overpay for someone that I think we can replace in the draft.

Now it's time to bring in some big outside help.

1. Brandon Graham (3 years, 15 million)

He may be older, but he is constantly in the backfield. His QB pressures are still at a high level, and while he doesn't always get to the QB, we all know pressure is just as important as sacks.

2. Grady Jarrett (3 years, 40 million)

Atlanta is in MAJOR cap trouble. I have no doubt they want him back, but they may not be able to afford him. This is a pretty simple signing imo. Grady fits perfectly with what we want to do on defense, and will complement Brandon on the edge to get to the QB.

DRAFT

Round 1, 26: DeAandre Baker, CB, Georgia.

I love the CBs in this draft, and believe that the top three are legit NFL cornerbacks. If it weren't for how deep the DL was, I wouldn't be shocked to see all three of these guys go in the top 15 in any other year. DeAndre is smaller, but he's obnoxious. He's sticky, has pretty good ball awareness, and has fluid hips. One think someone may say about him is how much man he played in Georgia. Believe it or not, I think he'll play better in a zone scheme. When he can sit back and watch the QB, he can take advantage of his twitchy movement a little better for takeaways.

Round 2, 34: N'Keal Harry, WR, Arizona State.

I see him mocked to us in the first round 8/10 times these days, but outside of the Raiders behind us, no one really needs a WR. There is a legit chance he could slide to us in the second round. He's big, physical, and just plays ball. He's slower, sure, but the guy KNOWS how to use his body. He has great hands, and runs clean routes. I saw a play here he just bounced off of a full speed tackle to gained some extra YAC. Hilton, Inman, Cain, and Harry would suddenly give us a core of reliable pass catchers who can get into contested coverage and make plays.

Round 2, 59: Johnathan Abram, S, Mississippi State

With Geathers gone, we could sure some more backfield help. Abram's stock is odd, because he is someone who is either going to fall a ton, or rise a ton come closer to draft time. I've seen him mocked a few times already in the first round. This pick may be a bit of a reach too, since I believe his value lies somewhere right between our first, and this pick in the second round. He's a hard hitter who can play the run, and adds a ton of talent to an already talented secondary.

Round 3, 90: David Sills V, WR, West Virginia

I like Sills, so this is just me taking someone I like, and I'm not to afraid to admit that. Sills is a former QB planted at the WR position, and is a deadly in the redzone. He has good hands, and is pretty physical. His biggest issues are his speed, and that he hasn't been playing WR for the longest time.

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on Jarrett.  I can't imagine they just let him walk but you never know.  In fact if we were to get him and Bell ( The easiest offensive playmaker to acquire ) along with a good draft and we would be Co favorites in the AFC along with the Chiefs IMO. 

• Like 2

Do you really think you are going to get Brandon Graham for anything less than $10 mil. a year? I frankly doubt it since his efficiency is still at a high level. 

I'd still be fine to have him for 2 years at $10 mil. each with a player option for a 3rd year, and get through a couple of years while we develop our pass rushers through the draft.

I'd be all for paying Grady Jarrett or Clowney if they slip into FA. We have the cap room, and an obvious need for pass rush, I have no doubt Ballard would lock one of those guys up if they make it to FA. 

Best part about adding pieces in FA is that it'll give more flexibility in the draft. If we can add an FA pass rusher, we can look to WR, S, or CB early, and vice versa. I think whatever pieces they add in FA will still also be addressed in the draft, they just may not allot as much draft capital as they previously would've. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on Jarrett.  I can't imagine they just let him walk but you never know.  In fact if we were to get him and Bell ( The easiest offensive playmaker to acquire ) along with a good draft and we would be Co favorites in the AFC along with the Chiefs IMO. 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I think they’l let him walk, it’s I just don’t see how the Falcons can afford to keep him unless the clear up a ton of space. They’ve been making moves to try and do that, and I would not be shocked if they even dealt Julio to free up more room. Looking at the papers right now though, doesn’t look good.

20 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Nobody talks about the S that are available? I'd love to add Clinton-Dix or Earl Thomas. Though they're both traditionally FS, and we already have Hooker (a FS), that's essentially what Flus system needs, two rangey FS-types that can make plays on the ball after the pass rush gets home. 

I wouldn’t even mind paying Collins. In a perfect world, I’d love to see that happen. I don’t see him leaving NY though 

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

Do you really think you are going to get Brandon Graham for anything less than $10 mil. a year? I frankly doubt it since his efficiency is still at a high level. 

I'd still be fine to have him for 2 years at $10 mil. each with a player option for a 3rd year, and get through a couple of years while we develop our pass rushers through the draft.

Graham is my top target in FA. He’ll be cheaper than others, but still performing at a high level 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Exodus said:

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not that I think they’l let him walk, it’s I just don’t see how the Falcons can afford to keep him unless the clear up a ton of space. They’ve been making moves to try and do that, and I would not be shocked if they even dealt Julio to free up more room. Looking at the papers right now though, doesn’t look good.

Dealing Julio would be a big deal.  I could see the Colts checking that situation out.  You said looking at the papers right now doesn't look good.  In way way?  In finding more space?