Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

In 5 Years, Hopefully We Aren't Talking About What We Could've Had

Portage Coltfans

In 5 years we will be talking about  

59 members have voted

1. 1. In 5 years we will be talking about?

• What we could've had for Luck
    • What we could've lost if we traded Luck

I think we could've gotten a historic bounty for Luck. What the rams got for the rights to RGIII from Washington is crazzzzzzy!

Even without Manning or Luck this team could have an amazing chance to build up youth in every position, not just QB

I think we will regret not trading Luck's rights. Obviously time will tell

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we could've gotten a historic bounty for Luck. What the rams got for the rights to RGIII from Washington is crazzzzzzy!

Even without Manning or Luck this team could have an amazing chance to build up youth in every position, not just QB

i completely agree. Our team would have been rebuilt in one move and the next three years would have set us for the next 15. Oh well...I guess it's time to be mediocre for a while.

Who would be our QB? Tannehill? Maybe Matt Flynn aka bust? Luck is a great way to start rebuilding. QB is the most important position in football and also the most desired...It's very hard to find a franchise/long-term QB, look at the Broncos...they've been looking forever since Elways left, and Elway left them with a 32nd draft pick. I'm not saying that Luck is a guarantee non-bust or guarantees dominance, but he's definitely the one with the most potential, in my opinion, out of all the other options. We started building with Peyton, now we are doing the same with Luck. Draft picks DO NOT equal stars, they could all be busts for all we know. Look what the Redskins got for Ricky, every single draft pick that year and look how it worked out for them...not so well right? When rebuilding, you start with the most important position and that is QB.

Who would be our QB? Tannehill? Maybe Matt Flynn aka bust? Luck is a great way to start rebuilding. QB is the most important position in football and also the most desired...It's very hard to find a franchise/long-term QB, look at the Broncos...they've been looking forever since Elways left, and Elway left them with a 32nd draft pick. I'm not saying that Luck is a guarantee non-bust or guarantees dominance, but he's definitely the one with the most potential, in my opinion, out of all the other options. We started building with Peyton, now we are doing the same with Luck. Draft picks DO NOT equal stars, they could all be busts for all we know. Look what the Redskins got for Ricky, every single draft pick that year and look how it worked out for them...not so well right? When rebuilding, you start with the most important position and that is QB.

So many teams have had lots of stars on their team yet couldn't get to the big dance and many of them can't even get to the playoffs so rational people understand that having a top notch QB first gives you the best opportunity to build a team that can get to the big danc and win it. Which is the last team to win the SB without a top notch QB? The last one I can recall is Baltimore with Dilfer and what year was that?

Edited by Maureen
please don't ask people to leave the board

yep, if luck is a bust then we will be rebuilding for over a decade

I agree but it appears from most all of portagecolts posts, he does not really care for the Colts so perhaps once PM picks a place, he can move on to their board and be happy again. So many teams have had lots of stars on their team yet couldn't get to the big dance and many of them can't even get to the playoffs so rational people understand that having a top notch QB first gives you the best opportunity to build a team that can get to the big danc and win it. Which is the last team to win the SB without a top notch QB? The last one I can recall is Baltimore with Dilfer and what year was that?

what is the opposite of Love? judging by your post, you think it is hate.

Wrong, the opposite of love is apathy.

dont ever judge me again

What if all the picks we got in return for the Luck pick end up busts and Luck goes on to have a great career in the NFL?

See, we all can play this game.

What if all the picks we got in return for the Luck pick end up busts and Luck goes on to have a great career in the NFL?

I know, that's why I put two choices in the poll :)

We'll be speculating forever, like what if the Colts drafted MJD instead of addai. what if's can be fun

We'll be speculating forever, like what if the Colts drafted MJD instead of addai. what if's can be fun

MJD. Forgot about that one.....

Oh well, Kinda liked Addai here for a while. He was a solid part of the SB win but the o line then was worlds better too.

It goes both ways. If we trade the rights to Luck, what if in 5 years time, we ended up regretting that we traded the next coming of Peyton Manning?

Getting a ton of draft picks doesn't guarantee anything. The Redskins got a king's ransom for the Ricky Williams trade. They didn't do squat with them.

No.......Portage thinks well regret not doing what he wants?

Here is the thing there is no promise that not taking Luck and trying a retool with the old guard was going to work either. It was pretty clear the Colts were declining and we were still giong to have major cap issues even if we had held on to Manning and had to cut some of those players to get under the cap. If what the Colts do it doesn't automaticaly mean that the other option would have worked the Colts could be in a no win situation. If so the road the Colts have picked to go down will be much easier to recover from if it doesn't work. Had they gone down the other road they would have been married to those older players with little wiggle room to move them. Here if the new guys don't work you can let them go at the end of their rookie contracts and just try it again. Again Jim Irsay is never going to be one of those owners who accepts losing just to turn a profits he's going to keep doing everything he can to build a winning franchise.

Yes but some people would always rather see the glass as half empty instead of half full, some even see it it 3/4 empty :)

It would be different if you had any ability to see the positive in having such a talent and doing things the team needed to do instead of bashing every move the team makes and calling Irsay a liar etc... There are always 2 parts to a move, the good and the bad, try looking at the positive in any such moves made and you may have an opportunity to be happy during the transition.

No.......Portage thinks well regret not doing what he wants?

Yep, pretty much truth!!

You are happy to judge Irsay.

I think it is something he relishes in and it gets him attention.

If if if, you take the information you have (the Colts evaluators) and you put all that info together and make the best informed decision you can to make certain the team continues to move ahead in a positive light. Are all the choices they make going to pan out, nope they won't but they are not knee jerk decisions. You don't cut a HOF QB in hopes that you get lucky on a prospect. You take all the info and compare, 3-4 years of a possible aging QB with a serious injury who did not play all year last season vs a possible second coming of the same QB for a possible 12+ years and more chances at the big show.

Let me put it this way for you Portage cause you seem to be struggling with the choice of letting Manning go. What would you have said if in 1997 we decided to hold onto Jim Harbaugh as the franchise QB and traded mannings rights for 3 first round picks and Manning went on to have at least this good of a career while in Indy on any other team and Harbaugh retired 4 years later with no big dance showings? Would you have been ok with trading the rights to PM back then? This is very similar to the same thing, you have scouts and everyone else saying that this kid is the real deal, he will go on to great things etc... Very similar things they said about PM except it wasn't a 100% concensus that PM wasn't tapped out in his ceiling. I have heard nobody mention they feel Luck is tapped out but most everyone feels he is a 100% NFL ready QB right now on the level of a possible PM eventual talent. Short of 4-5 teams if given the problem of sitting #1 and Luck being there would absolutely take Luck and look to trade or cohabit with their current QB. He is that rare of a PROSPECT and teams do not waste these opportunities.

NOthing is 100% but when you put all the info together, you make the best decision based on that info and you put your emotions to the side. Irsay did that and that alone took strong vision and a whole lot of courage . Another anology would be jumping off a cliff blind folded. You don't just do it because maybe someone will be there with a net but it still takes a great deal of courage to have the knowledge someone is there, even if you can't see them and know with a high degree of probablity that your not going to fall to your death. If you prepare for your decisions, they are not reckless, they are calculated. Put your emotions aside and relook at it Portage.

It goes both ways. If we trade the rights to Luck, what if in 5 years time, we ended up regretting that we traded the next coming of Peyton Manning?

Getting a ton of draft picks doesn't guarantee anything. The Redskins got a king's ransom for the Ricky Williams trade. They didn't do squat with them.

you could argue they got champ bailly out of it, who had a better career than RW

Here is the thing there is no promise that not taking Luck and trying a retool with the old guard was going to work either. It was pretty clear the Colts were declining and we were still giong to have major cap issues even if we had held on to Manning and had to cut some of those players to get under the cap. If what the Colts do it doesn't automaticaly mean that the other option would have worked the Colts could be in a no win situation. If so the road the Colts have picked to go down will be much easier to recover from if it doesn't work. Had they gone down the other road they would have been married to those older players with little wiggle room to move them. Here if the new guys don't work you can let them go at the end of their rookie contracts and just try it again. Again Jim Irsay is never going to be one of those owners who accepts losing just to turn a profits he's going to keep doing everything he can to build a winning franchise.

We could be "just trying it again" for a long time. How long is too long?

If if if, you take the information you have (the Colts evaluators) and you put all that info together and make the best informed decision you can to make certain the team continues to move ahead in a positive light. Are all the choices they make going to pan out, nope they won't but they are not knee jerk decisions. You don't cut a HOF QB in hopes that you get lucky on a prospect. You take all the info and compare, 3-4 years of a possible aging QB with a serious injury who did not play all year last season vs a possible second coming of the same QB for a possible 12+ years and more chances at the big show.

Let me put it this way for you Portage cause you seem to be struggling with the choice of letting Manning go. What would you have said if in 1997 we decided to hold onto Jim Harbaugh as the franchise QB and traded mannings rights for 3 first round picks and Manning went on to have at least this good of a career while in Indy on any other team and Harbaugh retired 4 years later with no big dance showings? Would you have been ok with trading the rights to PM back then? This is very similar to the same thing, you have scouts and everyone else saying that this kid is the real deal, he will go on to great things etc... Very similar things they said about PM except it wasn't a 100% concensus that PM wasn't tapped out in his ceiling. I have heard nobody mention they feel Luck is tapped out but most everyone feels he is a 100% NFL ready QB right now on the level of a possible PM eventual talent. Short of 4-5 teams if given the problem of sitting #1 and Luck being there would absolutely take Luck and look to trade or cohabit with their current QB. He is that rare of a PROSPECT and teams do not waste these opportunities.

NOthing is 100% but when you put all the info together, you make the best decision based on that info and you put your emotions to the side. Irsay did that and that alone took strong vision and a whole lot of courage . Another anology would be jumping off a cliff blind folded. You don't just do it because maybe someone will be there with a net but it still takes a great deal of courage to have the knowledge someone is there, even if you can't see them and know with a high degree of probablity that your not going to fall to your death. If you prepare for your decisions, they are not reckless, they are calculated. Put your emotions aside and relook at it Portage.

I'm sorry, but you can not compare the situation of drafting PM to this scenerio. they are absolutely different. Letting Harghbaugh go vs Manning.

This isn't pure emotions, I do believe that a restructured contract with some new youth on D (from trading Luck) and trading some guys like freeney, we could've had great teams for the next 3-4 seasons, and still used a high draft pick for a manning replacement.

We could be "just trying it again" for a long time. How long is too long?

well I am a cubs fan they have been trying again for over 100 years.

I don't really get what you are saying here if it doesn't work what do you want them to do just throw in the towel and quit and not try? The only thing they can do is try again. I'll stand by them the whole time because they are my team.

The single most important position in the NFL is QB. Having a great team means nothing if you have a sub par QB.

If you have a chance to draft a guy like Luck, you take it.

Yup. This is why so many teams are desperate to acquire PM - one of the greatest of all-time, even though he's in the later years of his career and coming off a significant injury.

All along, my nightmare scenario was to gamble on Peyton getting healthy, with a proven mediocre supporting cast and then in 3 or 4 years being cellar dwellers watching Andrew Luck develop into a great QB.

well I am a cubs fan they have been trying again for over 100 years.

I don't really get what you are saying here if it doesn't work what do you want them to do just throw in the towel and quit and not try? The only thing they can do is try again. I'll stand by them the whole time because they are my team.

no I don't mean quit being a fan,

I am a Cubs fan as well, I think the Cubs have moved on from being the "lovable losers". Most fans want to see them win, this is clear by last years attendence. It's unfair to call those fans, fairweather fans because not attending games is the only way the cubs would know we aren't happy. and it worked! In the past fans would go to games no matter how bad the cubs were, just to go to a cubs game. Now, fans want to win and they listened to attendence. I'm looking forward to April!

As for time for the Colts, if we dont' see results with luck in (X number) of years, when do fans become saltly and stop supporting. I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm looking for the entire fanbase as an answer, because if we aren't winning, they wont go to games.

Yup. This is why so many teams are desperate to acquire PM - one of the greatest of all-time, even though he's in the later years of his career and coming off a significant injury.

All along, my nightmare scenario was to gamble on Peyton getting healthy, with a proven mediocre supporting cast and then in 3 or 4 years being cellar dwellers watching Andrew Luck develop into a great QB.

Carson Palmer, David carr, ryan leaf, tim couch did a lot of cellar dwelling. So could Luck.

Carson Palmer, David carr, ryan leaf, tim couch did a lot of cellar dwelling. So could Luck.

Portage you have an answer for everything do you not? I bet your "mommy" gets tired of that. " Porty its my house and my rules" and Irsay being your "mommy". Its Irsays team.

Get over it dude. I cant imagine what you will be like when you lose your first girlfriend. Geez

no I don't mean quit being a fan,

I am a Cubs fan as well, I think the Cubs have moved on from being the "lovable losers". Most fans want to see them win, this is clear by last years attendence. It's unfair to call those fans, fairweather fans because not attending games is the only way the cubs would know we aren't happy. and it worked! In the past fans would go to games no matter how bad the cubs were, just to go to a cubs game. Now, fans want to win and they listened to attendence. I'm looking forward to April!

As for time for the Colts, if we dont' see results with luck in (X number) of years, when do fans become saltly and stop supporting. I'm not talking about you specifically. I'm looking for the entire fanbase as an answer, because if we aren't winning, they wont go to games.

That is like any product, if it's not good, you could lose your clientele. So for Irsay, he's done what he thinks will keep his product strong. if he gets it wrong, he's in danger of losing a lot. Thankfully he probably has a few years to get it right, as MOST of the fans understand the nature of the NFL......it's made to be circular and to stop continual success. Maybe if you gave him a chance......or maybe you just want him to fail?

Portage you have an answer for everything do you not? I bet your "mommy" gets tired of that. " Porty its my house and my rules" and Irsay being your "mommy". Its Irsays team.

Get over it dude. I cant imagine what you will be like when you lose your first girlfriend. Geez

your right, I'll have to accept it at some point wont I?

i dont let my frustrations over the colts spillover into my personal relationships. thanks for your concern though

That is like any product, if it's not good, you could lose your clientele. So for Irsay, he's done what he thinks will keep his product strong. if he gets it wrong, he's in danger of losing a lot. Thankfully he probably has a few years to get it right, as MOST of the fans understand the nature of the NFL......it's made to be circular and to stop continual success. Maybe if you gave him a chance......or maybe you just want him to fail?

The beauty of being the pessimist is that if Irsay succeeds with Luck, there is no way the team can be perfect, so there is always something new to gripe about. If this decision fails, though, gripers get to play the "see how smart I was... I told you all this would happen" card. Win-win.