Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[Garafolo] Howard Mudd back from retirement to be Frank Reich's assistant

stitches

30 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

I think he will have a position that he will stay in the background BUT if he notice things being done incorrectly (from his point of view ) then he open his mouth....…. What I am seeing here that I love is that this organization is placing a HIGH PRIORITY on protecting Andrew...…...Go Colts !!!!!

That's sort of how I see it as well.  As pointed out, his age will prevent him from taking on full time duty (my assumption), but I see him being very present in training camp.  I see Mudd as a technical coach who grooms guys get the most out of them.

Can't wait to see this line romp next season!

4 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I’m not sure that’s actually true. Those 02-06 lines had a lot of good pieces on them. 

Well, the only starter drafted in the first 3 rounds was LT Glenn...and he was drafted before Mudd got here... he had Lilja and Saturday who were both undrafted...Diem was i believe a 4th round pick... Jake Scott was a 5th round pick...Charlie Johnson was a 6th rounder...

We now have a 1st round pick at LT, LG, C...a 4th at RG and a 2nd at RT, if things stand as they are now... that is some serious talent, just imagine with our new OLine coach who is known as a great teacher...and Mudd, who coached no-names into the best lines in  the NFL...

I'm excited to see just how good this group can be!

• Like 1

I dont see an "OL coach".  Mudd and the assistant OL coach hired, but i didnt see an OL head coach so to speak named.

Some of the stunts our OL ran last year were interesting.  We have OLmen who are athletic AND powerful, as well as being young and smart.  I would be interested in how Mudd could bring insight into how to best use their capabilities (along with our TEs) in offensive game planning.  Meshing playcalling with the strengths of our OL and TEs abilities.  Next-level stuff.

We have 2 guards with the agility, strength, and attitude to spark fear in LB,safety, and CBs hearts.  Use it as another weapon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TheMose said:

Just think we have a line and offense great enough to bring a great out of retirement. Man this is an amazing signing!

This is a good point, Mose

I'm guessing he was willing to come back because of his previous relationship with Coach Frank and because of the line he sees us with..

..and our new QB coach is Brady.

Look out New England!!

• Thanks 1

This is a very, very good day for Colts Nation!       :colts:

To get a man like Howard Mudd to come back and give his expertise is invaluable.   He's worth his weight in gold.    

Oh, and the more I read about the our hire to be the main OL coach,  Chris Strausser,  the more I like.    He's been with Chris Peterson, first at Boise, then at Washington,  for roughly a decade.   Peterson has one of the better offensive minds in all of football,  college or pro.    Strausser has done good work where he's been.    But I'm sure he's being hired for his day to day approach, his dealing with players than anything else.    I feel very good about the hire.

Remember,  no one here was wild about the hire of DD a year ago.    People noted that he'd been fired from NE and Mia.    Turned out,  he was very good.   Props to him for the job he did,  sorry it didn't work out.    Now let's see what the new hires can do.    

Everyone involved here has earned the benefit of any doubt.    Seriously. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

Who is Janeane?

This is a good move.    I don't think it'll have a big impact though.  

Janeane Garofalo...the person who reported it. 

I agree...I don't think Mudd will be very hands on...more in a consultative role. Someone for Reich to bounce concepts off maybe.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Maybe he didnt agree with Grigson (or Pagano) ... If you listen to Pat McAfee, Grigson was a royal turd to a LOT of people in the organization... i'm just thankful that those 5 years are gone!

Mudd was gone well before Grigson/Pagano.

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Interested to see Mudd and the new oline coach’s take on Braden Smith.  We’re assuming RT because of Glowinski deal but you never know. 

When Watt's stat line is 2 tackles in a playoff game, you did your job. Smith is fine

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I guess I'm not real up to date on assistant coaches so I don't recognize the name but is Howard Mudd some sort of legend as an OL coach?  

Yeah he's somewhat of a legend and he built a lot of that legend with the Colts when Peyton was here.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

How'd he do against the Chiefs?

What did you expect to happen when our offense is one-dimensional and they don't need to worry about the run? They pinned their ears back and just rushed. Even Nelson was getting pushed back at times. 

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

What did you expect to happen when our offense is one-dimensional and they don't need to worry about the run? They pinned their ears back and just rushed. Even Nelson was getting pushed back at times. 

The point is that you don't evaluate a player based on one matchup. I mean, you can, but your evaluation is going to be unbalanced and your conclusions are likely to be flawed.

Smith did okay at RT, he wasn't great. He's young and can get better, and I hope he does.

• Like 2

Just now, Superman said:

The point is that you don't evaluate a player based on one matchup. I mean, you can, but your evaluation is going to be unbalanced and your conclusions are likely to be flawed.

Smith did okay at RT, he wasn't great. He's young and can get better, and I hope he does.

I just listed one game. I didn't say hes gonna be the next Anthony Munoz 

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

I guess I'm not real up to date on assistant coaches so I don't recognize the name but is Howard Mudd some sort of legend as an OL coach?  

Yes,  one of the most respected OL coaches of the last 30 years or so.

Much of his reputation made even better by his work with the Colts in the early Peyton Manning years.    But he was good even before then.